Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  16
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Steve's MK IV Coyote Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting close now Steve. The color really looks great. Cant wait to see you finish it up.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

2. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love these threads when people are nearing the finish line. Looking awesome!

4. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I might have missed it but did you get your seats upholstered. I did the same mod to the Kirkey seats but the quote from the upholsterer made me put them on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    I might have missed it but did you get your seats upholstered. I did the same mod to the Kirkey seats but the quote from the upholsterer made me put them on the shelf.
    I'm getting them done now. The first upholstery shop had them for six weeks and never even gave me an estimate. Kept telling me "his guy" needed to look them over and he'd let me know. After a month of ducking my calls, he admitted "his guy" quit and I should just come pick them up. Second shop said he'd work on these in between his bigger jobs and he'd treat me right. Honestly don't know what they are going to cost. I visited more than a dozen shops. It's difficult to get good shops to do small jobs. The two things I didn't do myself are the seats and paint. Fortunately, the paint was a great experience.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great. The paint is excellent!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

8. Thanks Straversi, Tom Mauldin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Custom Roll Bar Harness Cross Bar and Aluminum Door Sill Trim

Work continues: I added the edged carpet pieces to the door sills. Loved how this turned out. Thanks to Paul (EdwardB) for the instructions on which edges to have trimmed. I have photos in a previous post.

With the carpet down, I started to trim and fit the aluminum sill pieces I ordered from Dark Water Customs. The piece on the right has been shaped to fit. The piece on the left has not been touched, yet. The passenger side eventually got similar but not exact trimming.

I put a 50 grit belt on my table top belt sander. Makes a lot of noise and heat but its allows you to shape pieces like this quickly without trying to use a jig saw. More trimming and fitting than I had imagined but I like the end product.

Finished product here. Not difficult, but high pucker factor manipulating this piece around and then drilling a painted body. Those are reflections in the door, not scratches. Glad it's done.

While I was at it, I replaced the stacked washers in the door latch with a thick wall aluminum spacer from McMaster 3/4" OD, 5/16" ID, 5/8" long #92510A801. 5/8" long was perfect for the driver's side. I had to sand down the passenger side about 3/32". That part number is a reference only since I doubt any two cars will have the same latch spacing. Just didn't like the look of all those washers.

Roll bar bracket/High seat belt mount

Finally got to mount one of my favorite projects. I was planning to use the Breeze Roll bar so I could weld in the cross tube to mount my shoulder belts higher (extra large torso). Unfortunately, I'm too tall for the lower profile Breeze roll bar.

Plan B was to use the taller FFR roll bar and add a bolt-on cross bar. Apparently a vendor who used to make them stopped. I found a couple options but didn't like them so I thought about making one.

I had reconnected with a friend from college and on a Scuba Diving trip and I mentioned the MK-IV. He said, well, you know I have a CNC milling machine in my garage so if need any parts made, let me know. The wheels started turning! I downloaded a 10 day free trial of Turbo-Cad for MAC and drew up an assembly that I thought would work. Sent it to my friend and he manipulated it into machine code and started cutting.

Everyone has a CNC milling machine right? I seriously want one now.

End caps machined, edges tumbled, bead blasted, clear anodized and mounted.

Managed to get the Mike Everson Replicarparts roll bar grommets and trim pieces mounted as well. I powder coated the passenger seat belt grommets satin black. They looked odd shinny and polished with only the one set.

I'm pleased with how this assembly turned out but I enjoyed the process even more. I wasn't planning to learn Turbo Cad, I wasn't planning to have any parts machined, I didn't know that a friend of over 30 years happened to have a CNC mill. Interesting things happen when you mention that you are building a car in your garage!

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I'm getting them done now. The first upholstery shop had them for six weeks and never even gave me an estimate. Kept telling me "his guy" needed to look them over and he'd let me know. After a month of ducking my calls, he admitted "his guy" quit and I should just come pick them up. Second shop said he'd work on these in between his bigger jobs and he'd treat me right. Honestly don't know what they are going to cost. I visited more than a dozen shops. It's difficult to get good shops to do small jobs. The two things I didn't do myself are the seats and paint. Fortunately, the paint was a great experience.
    -Steve
    My estimates were between $3100 and $3400, be careful and good luck with your seats.
    Nice work on the Dark Water Customs door sill aluminum, it looks awesome! Its a lot of massaging to get those to fit right, I only got finished the DS door and just decided to use the FFR supplied weatherstripping. Your paint sure does shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    IF this guy has a milling machine in his garage I sure would like to see what else he has in that garage! haha
    Spectacular looking piece.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    IF this guy has a milling machine in his garage I sure would like to see what else he has in that garage! haha
    Spectacular looking piece.
    Thanks David and Scott.
    Scott, my buddy built cars in his youth but they are no longer his thing. He’s into sound and electronics. He built the most over the top back yard bar/entertainment area you have ever seen. After he finished my project, he took apart the mill and is setting up a new, larger machine.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

License plate modification and 3-D printed frame

A while back I mentioned that I planned to trim the license plate rather than cutting into the license plate light/lens. If I was going to trim the plate I wanted to make a custom license plate frame to cover the trimmed edges.

First I found a car in my office parking lot with one of the new CA black and gold nostalgia plates (not my plate). I trimmed up a manila folder until I got the size and shape I needed.

After I drew the roll bar shoulder harness bracket in CAD (previous posts), I drew up this license plate frame and made a 3-D surfaced file. My friend with the CNC mill suggested I print the frame, rather that try to machine it.

I know nothing about 3-D printing but forum member JDAV steered me to a 3-D print company. I uploaded my CAD file, they reviewed it and said it was suitable for 3-D printing, helped me pick out the appropriate material and gave me an immediate quote, $50. 4 days later I had a finished part in my hand. Mind boggling stuff.

I made a bracket that would place the plate mounting holes higher. Made it out of 1/8" aluminum so I could tap in threads, 10-32 to mount the bracket to the FFR assembly and 1/4-20 to mount the license plate. Drilled a few 1/2" holes to make it lighter, just because.

Finished assembly.

The Kleiner mod is easier and cheaper and time proven. I just enjoyed the process of learning something new. I do like how the smaller plate sits in the stripes.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea Steve. By the way your car is looking awesome love the color and Jeff's work is just beautiful. You put some really nice touches into your car. Keep up the good work.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like

Getting close

Inching closer...

I added more bed liner inside the wheel wells and nose. Jeff Miller put bed liner where it matters. I added it to the areas where if someone is anal enough to lay on the ground and look up into my wheel wells they will see black and not red with blue overspray. I'm probably the only one who will lay on the ground and look up, so I guess this was just for my own satisfaction.

Rear wheel wells complete with splash guards mounted.

Installed the rear bumper and over riders. Nothing to add here except that the front and rear over riders are different. No, it doesn't look good to use one of each. Yep, got it right the second time.

Added the Breeze trunk prop rod. I used this one for its simplicity. It doesn't hold the trunk open as far as the other style but it does the trick. Funny how simple decisions you make months before (like where to mount a rear wiring harness clamp) can make a simple installation of a trunk prop into a serious chore. No big deal, done.

Lots of work done in this photo. Dash mounted rear view mirror, sun visors, wind wings, Breeze side mirrors, 1/4" OD vacuum tubing filling the top slot in the windshield.

In Paul's (EdwardB) thread, page 13, he describes cutting and threading a 10-24 bolt with 10-32 threads to make special bolts with a crown nut head so your bolts will match on the upper hinge with the Breeze mirror and the lower hinge without. I wasn't planning on doing that, but it's one of those things you can't un-see. Long story short, the bolts now match. Thanks Paul, I think. This goes back to laying on the ground looking up into wheel wells I suppose.

Louvers installed. I had these powder coated bright silver. I waited on this because I was undecided on polished vs mill. Decided I didn't want polished but they would be difficult to keep clean if left raw. I like how the powder coating turned out.

I finally reassembled my transmission tunnel cover. I had the aluminum side channels and the switch panel I fabricated powder coated satin black. I left the switch guards aluminum. Done. Now I just need the seats!

When I mounted my dash for the final time, I managed to pinch one of the RT turn signal wires. I was able to fix this without pulling the dash but it did require getting my 6' 6" frame under the dash. Start on the passenger side, legs up and over the rear of the car. Hook the right leg on the roll bar and slide into the driver's side foot box. Make sure you have all of your tools and never do this when no one else is home. Also note that this can not be done if the seats are installed. Should have made a video. The exit was worse but the turn signal is fixed.

The list is getting short. Side pipe mounts, front splash panels, foot box vent hoses and scoop, reassemble the radiator aluminum.....

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    In Paul's (EdwardB) thread, page 13, he describes cutting and threading a 10-24 bolt with 10-32 threads to make special bolts with a crown nut head so your bolts will match on the upper hinge with the Breeze mirror and the lower hinge without. I wasn't planning on doing that, but it's one of those things you can't un-see. Long story short, the bolts now match. Thanks Paul, I think. This goes back to laying on the ground looking up into wheel wells I suppose...
    You caught my disease. Sorry about that. Everything is looking really great. One suggestion would be to put some layers of undercoat or bedliner on the tire facing side of your splash guards. You'll hear stuff pinging off of them if you don't.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eagerly anticipating some graduation pictures! I think the powder coated side louvers are great looking. You have quite a few unique touches that are really making this a great looking build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul & Scott,
    Ha, you two represent my inner conflict pretty well. I have Scott on one shoulder saying “Finish it, go smoke the tires!” and I have Paul whispering in my other ear “You know it might look better IMHO if you hand made some custom bolts...”

All kidding aside, thank you both for the compliments. Always encouraging coming from either of you.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Ventilated Kirkey Seats

Ventilated seats are in. This should be the last of my one-off projects.

My original plans called for Kirkey vintage low backs for added head and leg room. I did not care for the Kirkey covers so I started to sketch out some ideas. My first sketches (before I even ordered the Mk IV) were based on the GT-40 seats. The racing GT-40 seats covers were stretched over webbing and a frame so the grommets were functional and provided some ventilation.

The best feature I ever had on a daily driver was the ventilated seat in an Infinity M-45. That got me thinking...

Quick research discovered that all of the OEM and aftermarket seat ventilating systems required 4"-6" of foam in the base and were way too complex. I looked into dirt-track and off-road and found air blowers for helmets and cool-suits but nothing to attach to a seat. I did find a composite racing seat that had air plenums integrated into the seat. That was the idea but I couldn't use or afford that seat. I came up with a small, low amp, 120 cfm fan and after many iterations with cardboard, came up with a plenum that I could fabricate and attach to the back of the Kirkey seat. It all had to fit in the small void low behind the seat since I was unwilling to give up any head or leg room.

I mocked up the assembly (experimented with number and size of holes) and got pretty good airflow so I thought it was worth a shot.

The grommets were not compatible with the seat heating pads and I wanted to keep the air plenum simple, so I decided to concentrate the airflow to the lumbar area. Since the you really sink into the Kirkeys I figured if I could get any airflow directed to the small of my back I'd be golden.

First thought was to weld the plenum to the back of the seat, but welding the .040 plenum to the much thicker seat was challenging, so I riveted the plenum to the seat with flush rivets and then sealed it up with several layers of lizard skin.

I drilled 12 holes in the back of the seat. The trick would be to get an upholstery shop to make seat covers with grommets that would line up with my holes and actually direct and not block the airflow.

To be continued...

Post Thanks / Like

Ventilated Seats Continued...

I found a great upholsterer and he had some great ideas on how to pull it off. The difficult part for him was not the holes or grommets, but the fact that I needed to be able to bolt my seats directly to the floor and to the back of the cockpit. His cushions needed to have the grommets, seat heat pads and be at least partially removable. Simple, right?

Mounting holes and ventilating holes in the seat.

I also made a small bracket for the seat heater switches. I wanted to hide the more modern looking switches and they fit under the seat perfectly.

Fan and wiring attached.

Finished product.

Installed.

The grommets in the lumbar are functional. The grommets in the base of the seat are just cosmetic but add symmetry.

So, was it worth it? I'll let you know after the first long trip up I-5. I like the look if nothing else.

-Steve

21. Likes CVOBill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That’s pretty cool. I love the ingenuity
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

23. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!! That's one of the best mods I have seen, truly!!! Seat covers are stellar! Definitely look forward to the update on how those work.
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

25. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seats look awesome!

27. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the seats!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

29. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the mod, functional and pretty cool.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

31. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the encouraging comments. Had a fun time with this project. Lots of time experimenting and building mock ups but I enjoy that kind of tinkering. The fans were cheap and I liked the look of the grommets, so if it didn't work I was OK with it, but it all came together better than I expected. My upholsterer added a mesh material between the grommets and foam. It restricts the flow a little but it looks good. Think I'll leave it in place and see how it goes.

Now, on to the last bits and pieces. Nothing left to fabricate but my door panels and I'm not doing anything unusual there.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Side Pipes, Splash Shields, Scoops and Polishing

Working my way forward.

I installed my Gas-N Pipes. One wedge on the passenger side and two on the driver's side to get them even and parallel. Had to play with the mounting bolt diameter and the flange holes to get them straight up/down.

I used 5/16" nut inserts in the 2" tube rather than the long bolts that go all the way through (EdwardB method). I had to add a thick washer behind the inboard most mount and a longer bolt and spacer on the outermost mount (to the pipe itself), otherwise the thick rubber mount in the middle would have needed to be squished to half its thickness. That didn't seem right. Please let me know if I'm missing something here or if some adjustment with the mounts is common.

First photo also shows my front splash shields installed. I trimmed them before final installation of the body, and as expected, needed to go back and trim a bit more after the body was in it's final position. I like the look of aluminum panels. If the pinging rocks annoy me I'll add a few layers of my bed liner. I have plenty left.

Here's a little tip; if you don't use the entire can of bed liner, wipe every drop off of the lid and out of the groove in the can. That stuff seals tighter than (insert your own joke). Well, it seals tight. I had to cut open the can and pour the remaining product into some fresh quart cans I had left over from a house project.

Front Scoops:
    My front body mount brackets interfered with the duct scoops for the foot box vents. If you are mounting the screens only, I don't think there would be a problem. For the scoops to fit, some grinding needed to be done.

The green line shows about how much needed to come off (Makita angle grinder).

Hard to get a good photo in this area but this is the bracket after it was trimmed a bit.

Scoop in place. I'll need to go back and fix the paint on the bracket. I want to test fit my over riders and trim the thicker Finish-Line mounting bolt sleeves before I get these scoops mounted for good.

The 3/4" Finish-Line stainless mounting bolt sleeves are a little dull. I rigged up a quick polishing station with a long 5/16" masonry drill bit I had. The teeth on the end of the bit kept the sleeves from sliding off. A few wraps of tape kept the sleeves from wobbling.

I spun the tubes on the drill press and wet sanded progressively with 200, 400, 800, 1000 and 1500 grit paper on a foam block and then finished with a polishing wheel and compound on my hand drill. Not Dave Hodgkins level of polishing, but it turned out pretty good.

As I get to the final stages I have to plan my next moves more carefully because each item added reduces the space available to install the next piece.

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 08-22-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done!! Are the scoops from Breeze as well?
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    Well done!! Are the scoops from Breeze as well?
    Higgy
    Thanks Higgy,
    The scoops are from Finish Line Accessories. They also supply the hose and the foot box vents. While we are at it, the body mount bolt sleeves are from Finish Line as well. I mistakenly identified them as a Breeze product. Can't even remember where the money went at this point.

-Steve

36. Thanks Higgybulin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve, what a great looking car!

Question - can you please share the link for the trunk support mod? I am getting tired of holding the trunk and loading my groceries at the same time

Thanks,
    Martin
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hi Steve, what a great looking car!

Question - can you please share the link for the trunk support mod? I am getting tired of holding the trunk and loading my groceries at the same time

Thanks,
    Martin
    This product is from Breeze Automotive. The instructions say to drill the hole on the driver's side but since I have the drop trunk it was easier to install it on the other side.

https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...steel-30-long/

You won't be able to keep up with those growing boys much longer if you are getting groceries in a MKIV trunk, but I like your style.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    This product is from Breeze Automotive. The instructions say to drill the hole on the driver's side but since I have the drop trunk it was easier to install it on the other side.

https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...steel-30-long/

You won't be able to keep up with those growing boys much longer if you are getting groceries in a MKIV trunk, but I like your style.

-Steve
    Thanks Steve! This trunk mod is a must have. It may take couple trips to grocery store, but I am fine with that

Thanks,
    Martin
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like

Over Riders and air intake filter support

Last few items.

I installed my front Over Riders. The instructions say to match the angle of the over riders with the front opening. The front opening is a very odd shape so it is difficult to pick a reference point to match. I taped a stick to the front, centered on my stripes and went with that.

You can see that I added a few washers between the over rider bracket and the bolt sleeve to get the angle I wanted. I cut the Finish Line bolt sleeves that I mentioned in a previous post so that the upper sleeves were just that much longer than the bottom sleeves, eliminating the washers.

The inside of the overriders were pretty stained and scratched.

You can't see them on the rear but they are noticeable on the front. They clean up pretty good with a flap wheel and Dremmel polisher. I added a stainless crown nut and called this project done.

I bought the front bumper hoop. I clamped it in place but it wasn't really working for me. One of the problems I had with this is that my work space is narrow. It has gotten smaller as my wife is slowly reclaiming some space. I can't get far enough away on either side to get a real good perspective. When I get it off the jack stands and move it outside I'll reevaluate the front hoop.

Intake brace

The last project on the list that required the car to be up on jack stands was fabricating a brace for the intake filter and aluminum air guard.

I might have done this differently if I had done this earlier but I wanted to get this done without removing any existing components. I put a nut insert in the x-frame to hold the odd shaped brace and another in the brace to attach the air filter guard.

Assembly from underneath. Getting very tight in here.

When I reassembled the intake tubes and hoses I took a forum member's tip and added a little hair spray between the tubes and the hoses. Something I never would have thought of. Feels pretty solid but there is enough give with multiple silicon hose connections that the moving engine and solid frame should be OK.

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 09-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Door panels and USB/iphone cables

Door Panels

I cut my door panels from 3/16" Masonite and covered in the same foam and leather I used on the dash.

The upholstery shop that did my seats stitched the elastic into the pocket and stapled and glued the pocket and back panel in place. I used the same 3M Dual Lock (industial Velcro) as shown in the EdwardB thread.

Panel installed. Added a strip of 5/8" D shaped weather stripping to the door as well. Also pulled from EdwardB.

Since my iPhone battery is usually near 10% charged I always have it plugged in when I'm driving. Problem is, I hate the look of chords and cables. I decided to keep the USB charger/cigarette lighter mounted under my dash in the brace but I added a second USB charger above the brace. I bought two 6' USB/Lightning cables and ran those behind my dash and brought them out to the ends of the dash.

I drilled holes in my doors just below the top hinge with the plan of exiting out the door inside my door panel pocket. One of the reasons I made my own door panels, rather than ordering them was that I wasn't sure how this was going to work. I was able to fish a lead wire through both doors but I was not able to pull the cables through both doors to the same location.

I was able to pull the cable on the driver's door as shown below but I had to pull the cable on the passenger door above the interior door structure. The passenger side cable came out where the green dot is in the photo below. It worked out because they both came out inside my pockets. I guess there is just enough difference in the two doors that I was not able to pull the cables the same way.

The plan is to keep the phone in the door pocket and plugged into the cable so everything is hidden.

In case I'm using the map App and want access to the phone, I found this small magnetic phone mount. The small end has an adhesive that I stuck to the bottom of my door hinge. The larger end swivels on the ball and secures the phone with a magnet.

Phone mount installed.

It stays in place when I open and close the door.

Happy with how this turned out.

Getting really close now.
    -Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 09-05-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Genius plan to get the charging cable into the door. I ride around with mine in that pocket all the time and like you could certainly use some charging! Every time I come back to this thread there is another spectacular innovation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Genius plan to get the charging cable into the door. I ride around with mine in that pocket all the time and like you could certainly use some charging! Every time I come back to this thread there is another spectacular innovation!
    Scott,
    Thanks for the compliment, but you can't use the word "genius" describing a plan that involved drilling holes in a painted door. "Idiotic plan that fortunately worked out" is closer to reality, but I'll take the compliment anyway.

Hope to be driving outside of my neighborhood soon.

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 09-05-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Final bits and pieces...

Last items:

Since I'm stuck waiting for my CHP VIN inspection appointment, I'm finishing up those last few items I was planning to do later.

A while back, I trimmed my Wilwood brake and clutch pedals to get more space between pedals. I never liked the look of the trimmed pedals (too small) and the brake and gas were still a bit close. I scrapped the pedals and ordered more from Wilwood. Fortunately they are only $8.50 each.

To get the maximum room between the brake and gas, I trimmed the small lobes off of the Wilwood brake pedal arm. I picked up another 1/4" of space, and it makes a noticeable difference. I have the clutch pedal marked in the photo but did not trim it. Clutch placement is fine as is.

With trimmed pedals installed... I also bought a pair of Puma Drift Cat 5 driving shoes online. They make a huge difference. I have plenty of room for my size 13's now.

I made some patterns for floor matts and took my extra carpet to the carpet remnant shop I had used before.

They glued a non-skid backing material to the carpet and "surged" the edges with yarn. They had 3 pieces finished in a few hours for $90. I was expecting it to cost a lot more. I installed the carpet clips and snaps that "Gumball" Chris told me about. Very happy with the results.

I reinstalled the radiator aluminum and the oil cooler and finally installed the Tri-Bar headlights.

Lastly, I made an aluminum insert for the steering wheel with a routed center section for a small Cobra emblem from **********. Not meant to offend FFR in any way but just liked the look of the steering wheel finished with this emblem.

Assembly complete...

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Mission Accomplished!

I've run so many laps around my neighborhood that I was afraid I was going to annoy someone enough to call in a noise complaint. Time to take a chance with the non-registered car and get out on city streets and take this baby out of second gear. I pulled out of the neighborhood Sunday afternoon and stretched my driving radius out a few miles. Within a quarter mile I passed a cop at an intersection. Pretty hard to look inconspicuous in a roadster that screams "look at me", but he never looked up from his computer. Ok, time to open it up a bit. Wow! Lack of registration kept me very restrained, but... Wow! What a blast.

I found a spot for a few photos and then headed back to the barn, but here are a few photos of 8901 in sunlight.

When I get through the California registration process I'll close this out with a formal graduation thread and summary but for now,
    I'm very happy to be in the driver's seat instead of under the car on jack stands. As I have said from the beginning of this adventure, what more could a guy want!

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, looking awesome Steve!

47. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Steve. Seemed like I was reading your last few posts in warp speed..excited for your finish. Looks great!! I'm definitely going to think about your iphone mod. Have to get something going there as well.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

49. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

51. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Good Steve.

We'll have to meet up at Ruby's. I'm almost done. I've been saying I have a week to go for three months now. It's close. Maybe this weekend, who knows.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

53. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Steve, It really looks good!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

55. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast