Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's MK IV Coyote Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look really nice
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those Wilwood reservoirs as well. I literally sucked wind when I Googled one and saw the price though. Not sure I have room for the triple CNC on my Coupe build, so looking at alternatives. I'll keep this one in mind.

Your build is looking great BTW!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Love those Wilwood reservoirs as well. I literally sucked wind when I Googled one and saw the price though. Not sure I have room for the triple CNC on my Coupe build, so looking at alternatives. I'll keep this one in mind.

Your build is looking great BTW!
    Thanks Jdav, Thanks Paul.

Yea, I had the same reaction. Wilwood is awfully proud of those little cylinders. I employed a little of my wife's shopping logic though, "since I have a bunch of credits with Summit, they really weren't that expensive" ... I know, dangerous way to rationalize spending but I do like them and now I should be done, ha ha.

Presumably completed engine bay

Happy to be moving on to body and interior. I'll need to re-read a bunch of your posts now.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve

This is an awesome build thread! Thanks for posting all the pics. I'm almost ready to hit the buy button and my build will be very close to yours. I'd be happy to hear your progress on certification in CA. I'm in north San Diego.

thanks!
    mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    Steve

This is an awesome build thread! Thanks for posting all the pics. I'm almost ready to hit the buy button and my build will be very close to yours. I'd be happy to hear your progress on certification in CA. I'm in north San Diego.

thanks!
    mark
    Thank you Mark. If you have the time and support of your family you certainly won't regret it. I'm having a blast.
    You should go to the Huntington Beach Cruize-In in the Spring. Great opportunity to see lots of different options and meet some great people.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like

Body On

Just a quickie update. Got the body on for the first test fit. No bulb seal at this point, just a quick check for fit.

Little nerve racking to pull that body on and spread the sides, but like everything else, once done it was not as difficult as I had imagined.

It is an amazing transformation from chassis to car. Wow! More room and light in the garage and now this cool little red sports car to stare at. I can see why so many choose red; it is quickly becoming my favorite color. It looks perfect, even in gel coat. It takes me 10 minutes to get out of my garage because I just stop and stare at the lines from different angles.

I forgot to remove my front turn signals and had to pull those off quickly in the middle of the process. Ooops.

Initially, the nose got hung up on the oil cooler and I thought I might have to at least loosen the brackets but just had to get the body at a steeper downward angle and it slipped around the cooler and everything was fine.

All for now.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your setup on the wilwoods reservoirs and i was thinking about the same kind of bracket. I am still hoping that my 2 FF's will work. I really like the look of them and am hoping for the best. Great progress! What the height limit on those lids? I didn't look close enough back when the body was on so I'm just assuming I keep them no higher than the bar correct?
    MKIV Base Kit, delivered 11/6/17. Build Thread Link: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Base-Kit-427
    Carburated 427z, TKO-600 (.82), Torsen Diff (3.73), IRS, PS, Heat, 17” Halibrands
    First Start: 10/18/18

Post Thanks / Like
    That Coyote looks great in there!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjamesellis View Post
    I like your setup on the wilwoods reservoirs and i was thinking about the same kind of bracket. I am still hoping that my 2 FF's will work. I really like the look of them and am hoping for the best. Great progress! What the height limit on those lids? I didn't look close enough back when the body was on so I'm just assuming I keep them no higher than the bar correct?
    Thanks Rob,
    Mine are about 1/4" below the top of the bar but flush should be fine. The lip of the engine bay opening on the body overhangs the square tube (inboard) and takes up 1/4" to 3/16". Make sure the reservoirs lids are spaced more than a 1/2" away from the tube. I never thought about the body but got lucky. If that doesn't make sense I'll try to get a photo for you.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    That Coyote looks great in there!
    Thanks Scott.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help. Hoping to get at least two of the three (still need to order the 3rd) this weekend and see how it looks.
    Rob
    MKIV Base Kit, delivered 11/6/17. Build Thread Link: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Base-Kit-427
    Carburated 427z, TKO-600 (.82), Torsen Diff (3.73), IRS, PS, Heat, 17” Halibrands
    First Start: 10/18/18

Post Thanks / Like

Stainless Steel and Rubber Floor Mat

I stole the idea for a stainless steel and rubber floor mat from a Singer designed Porsche I saw at SEMA.

I had planned to sew rubber pads to the floor mat and side carpet near the gas pedal as I had seen others in this forum do but I liked the look and function of the stainless floor treatment and I've been tinkering with the idea since.

I bought a 1/8" x 12" x 12" dense rubber mat from McMaster and a piece of 22 gauge stainless from my local metal supply shop. I cut the heel pad area with my jig saw and punched the holes with a 1" punch/bead die from Eastwood. The vice grip looking tool in the photo has two wheels and it rolls a slight taper to the edge of a panel. Home aircraft builders use it so panels edges don't lift up. I rolled the edges of the heel opening so it would bite into the rubber pad instead of catching my heal.

Scrapped the original and started over, a couple of times. The holes and edges stretch and compress the stainless so I had to experiment with the spacing before I could control the deformation. I curved and lowered my foot box floor (about a year ago, yikes) for more foot room so I had to get this panel to conform to that too.

I made a wear pad for the vertical panel next to the gas pedal. The edges are rolled on this as well so it will bite into the carpet and not have an edge to catch. I used nutserts in the foot box side for this piece. The plan to find the nutserts after I install the carpet is to heat a small drill bit and push it through the back of the nutsert. This carpet melts very easily. At least it worked well in my trials.

After go carting a bit I decided to cut an inch off the bottom of my gas pedal. Already done in these photos. Time to skinny up the Wilwood pedals as well. I screwed these down to a piece of plywood and rough cut them with the jig saw. Bench sander with 60 grit finished the shaping. I mimicked the original AC pedal shape. These are a little smaller than the AC pedals you can buy but they are also thinner so I'm not giving up any legroom.

EDIT: later in the build ( end of thread) I scrapped the brake and clutch pedals. Too small after all. Luckily they are only $8.50 each. I trimmed them but not so much.

I like the extra room between the pedals and this gives me a lot more room for a dead pedal left of the clutch.

Finished assembly is bolted down to my foot box floor so over time I can replace the rubber pads. Once I get the carpet in I think it will come together pretty well. Overall, I'm happy with the results and the look.

I noticed Jazzman's latest post has a similar floor mat theme. Great minds think alike.

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 09-12-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I stole the idea for a stainless steel and rubber floor mat from a Singer designed Porsche I saw at SEMA.

I bought a 1/8" x 12" x 12" dense rubber mat from McMaster and a piece of 22 gauge stainless from my local metal supply shop. I cut the heel pad area with my jig saw and punched the holes with a 1" punch/bead die from Eastwood. The vice grip looking tool in the photo has two wheels and it rolls a slight taper to the edge of a panel. Home aircraft builders use it so panels edges don't lift up. I rolled the edges of the heel opening so it would bite into the rubber pad instead of catching my heal.

-Steve
    Hi Steve. Who's your metal supply near by these days? And never seen that edge prep tool, where's that from?

I've got the hot rod running, 250 miles on it now. I've driven by 3 times in the last 3 or 4 months. Your never home. When do you have time to build?
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Hi Steve. Who's your metal supply near by these days? And never seen that edge prep tool, where's that from?

I've got the hot rod running, 250 miles on it now. I've driven by 3 times in the last 3 or 4 months. Your never home. When do you have time to build?
    Industrial Metal Supply
    2481 Alton Parkway, Irvine.
    Not exactly local but they are great.

I can’t remember where I got that tool but I’ll look through some files in my office and let you know. Weekend build time has been hard to come by. That’s why I have been trimming foot pedals and working on project that I can spend a couple hours an evening on during the week.

Glad you are putting some miles on. Ready for paint yet?
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Industrial Metal Supply
    2481 Alton Parkway, Irvine.
    Not exactly local but they are great.

I can’t remember where I got that tool but I’ll look through some files in my office and let you know. Weekend build time has been hard to come by. That’s why I have been trimming foot pedals and working on project that I can spend a couple hours an evening on during the week.

Glad you are putting some miles on. Ready for paint yet?
    -Steve
    Since M&K Metals closed up, it's been mostly mail order for me. Too expensive though.

The car heads to Temecula on the 28th. Finalizing it with DaBat when I get home on Monday. I'll drive it as much as I can till about the 25th, then it's pull it all apart... again. It's getting serious now.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't make it past the first line when you mentioned Singer without stoping to day dream for 5 minutes.....
    Anyways once I did continue this is great work. Very cool.

One question. You mention the dead pedal. I know you are quite tall. I find that I extend my left leg when driving and just rest it all the way in the corner on the frame tubing. It is quite comfortable. I was just thinking the other day how well it works as a foot rest and had I installed a dead pedal I would have had less room down there. Have you just tried having nothing there during your go carts and seen what you think? You might not want a dead pedal at all. Just a thought.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't make it past the first line when you mentioned Singer without stoping to day dream for 5 minutes.....

One question. You mention the dead pedal. I know you are quite tall. I find that I extend my left leg when driving and just rest it all the way in the corner on the frame tubing. It is quite comfortable. I was just thinking the other day how well it works as a foot rest and had I installed a dead pedal I would have had less room down there. Have you just tried having nothing there during your go carts and seen what you think? You might not want a dead pedal at all. Just a thought.
    At 6'2", I'm like the war eagle. While cruising and touring, my left foot goes past the clutch pedal and rest up against the front wall of the foot box or the frame structure. In fact, I think having a dead pedal installed would be quite uncomfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have been resting my left foot on the frame tubing. That will probably be the dead pedal or maybe a small wedge to get the foot angle more comfortable. To be determined when I set the outer foot box panel in place.

If I were planning to do significant track driving I'd locate a dead pedal for better foot placement but legroom and comfort will win the day here.

Either way, I like that I have more room now to move my foot to the clutch without catching the clutch pedal on the wrong side.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed Jazzman's latest post has a similar floor mat theme. Great minds think alike.

-Steve
    I approve!! Nicely done.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the wear pad. It's doctor Frank approved!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like

Locking Gas Cap and Door Latch Mods

Getting down to the last few projects, prior to shipping it off to paint.

I bought the Aero locking gas cap from Breeze.

The assembly and installation was easy, following EdwardB's instructions. Cut the nipple off of the Le Mans cap, flush with the bottom.

The nipple of the locking cap is a larger diameter so you need to enlarge the hole from the sawed off nipple. EdwardB used a routing table. Don't own one so I carefully clamped my cap ring down and used my router with a straight bit. My high school wood shop teacher might not have approved but with shallow passes it removed the material nice and smooth. Finished it off with a drum sanding bit on my drill press.

Drilled the holes in the LeMans assembly per the Aero cap instructions, slight bevel on the edge of the aero cap collar and it fit in with no fuss. Then I drilled the holes in the body to install the cap.

OK, now I am officially dipping my toe into the bodywork section of the instruction. Good to drill your first holes for something like the gas cap because your holes will be covered completely, ha.

Whoever recently wrote the bodywork drilling tip to "spin your drill backwards first to keep the gel coat from grabbing and cracking" (great tip), thank you. You still need to make gradual bit size increases but that tip works like a charm.

One more project down.

Next was the door latch, carriage bolt mod. Also drilled and tapped the knob for a 10/32 cap screw to keep the knob from working loose. Nothing new to add here other than thanks to those who have invented and perfected these easy improvements.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I found this build, subscribed and I'll go back through it when I can. Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your doing a great job! I just discovered this thread and I love what you are doing!

Post Thanks / Like
    what is the door latch carriage bolt modification? did a search and came up empty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alv69 View Post
    what is the door latch carriage bolt modification? did a search and came up empty.
    [QUOTE=edwardb;240383]

The replica door latches have a reputation for not being the best quality. This was one of the last items on my backorder list, and Jay told me FF was buying up supplies everywhere they could find them. I’m pretty sure they all come from the same place, and quality is not getting any better. These were the poorest I’ve had to date. Usually there are three different problems. There is a swaged joint inside that likes to come apart, the little knob can fall off the handle, and the pin doesn’t fit well into the catch. Mine had all three problems, plus a lot of flash and just generally poor workmanship. Returning them and getting a different set might be an option, but there’s a good chance they wouldn’t be any better. The good news is they’re not too hard to fix.

There is a well-known mod that’s been posted on the forum. Doors, door latches, hinges, FAQ, FFR FAQ. I completed this mod with one slight difference. I used a shim between the pivot and the handle instead of replacing the wavy washer that was originally there. I happened to find just the right size and thickness in one of my washer junk drawers. Makes the handle a little more solid IMO. For the knobs, I drilled and tapped for a 10-32 x 3/8-inch SS button head through the handle and into the knob. Finally, I used stones on a Dremel and die grinder to open up the hole in the catch enough for the pin to seat properly. I don’t know if they don’t allow for the plating or what, but as delivered the pin would barely go in past the initial taper. This in my experience is why guys have trouble getting the doors to latch or the pin gets stuck in the latch.

Here are pictures of the finished products. Note some guys recommend not replacing the small spring visible here and only using the spring internal to the latching pin. I prefer to use both. Note also the latches come assembled dry with no lubrication. I don't understand that. Use some white lithium or similar when re-assembling. Makes a difference.

The photos and descriptions above are copied directly out of The EdwardB build thread. Hope you don't mind, Paul.

Note, he has a link to the other website embedded in the description above. The link goes to a more detailed description of the fix.
    Hope that helps,

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom,
    Thanks Shark...
    Hope you find something useful in all my blathering.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

More Small Projects

Got a few more items checked off the list.

I fabricated the cover for the trunk lid wiring access area. I drilled the holes and bonded some 8/32 nut plates from McMaster to the back with the HSRF.

Don't know why I drilled 8 holes. Working tired I guess and not thinking. It's not going anywhere.

Next I drilled out the holes and reshaped a few to mount the lights straight and even. Trying to get all of the holes drilled prior to paint.

License plate bracket mounting holes. I know, exciting stuff.

I was preparing to do the Kleiner license plate bracket mod but I might just trim the license plate.

With the new Black/Yellow CA plates it looks like I can trim the outer edges off and modify the plates and none of the letters will be obstructed.

It's not letter of the law but I think it falls under the "I doubt I'll get pulled over for it, but if I get pulled over for doing 140, Johnny Law might slap on a fix-it ticket." I've had fix-it tixs before. It will be tricky to fabricate a license plate frame but I'll mess with this when the body is off to paint. We'll see. I'm leaving this alone until later.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I trimmed mine down on the perimeter. It is such an odd thing for a car to have an issue fitting the plate I find it hard to believe any law enforcement would ever notice it even if they did pull you over for some other egregious offense!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,

I really like the look of the body on (can you keep the side pipes installed while you putting the body on?).
    Also, the way pedal box area looks is very nice. I felt like I would need something under my feet that isn't slippery.
    I don't fully understand the door lock issue, clicked on the link but the it wouldn't load the pics. (need to put this on my list to fix)
    That cover in the trunk area - is that needed?

Thanks,
    Martin
    Last edited by broku518; 03-07-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hi Steve,

I really like the look of the body on (can you keep the side pipes installed while you putting the body on?).
    Also, the way pedal box area looks is very nice. I felt like I would need something under my feet that isn't slippery.
    I don't fully understand the door lock issue, clicked on the link but the it wouldn't load the pics. (need to put this on my list to fix)
    That cover in the trunk area - is that needed?

Thanks,
    Martin
    I read somewhere to remove the pipes to install the body. Don't know that it is mandatory to remove them but I only had one helper and it was definitely easier to have them out of the way.

The cover is not necessary. Very easy to make though and finishes off the trunk IMO. Otherwise you are looking at raw fiberglass.

Google: Door Latch Repair -by Wade Linger

You should get all of the photos and complete description.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere to remove the pipes to install the body. Don't know that it is mandatory to remove them but I only had one helper and it was definitely easier to have them out of the way.

The cover is not necessary. Very easy to make though and finishes off the trunk IMO. Otherwise you are looking at raw fiberglass.

Google: Door Latch Repair -by Wade Linger

You should get all of the photos and complete description.

-Steve
    Thanks Steve!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    The best way to search in Google I've found is:

"site:http://thefactoryfiveforum.com pinion angle" or "site:http://ffcars.com door latch" or whatever term you want to search by. (no quotation marks.)

Post Thanks / Like

Louvers

Next on the list was shaping the openings for the louvers and mounting the assemblies. I used the Finish Line louvers and the EdwardB method of bonding the McMaster studs to the body with HSRF. I stuck to the EdwardB plan other than I did it with the body on (not ideal). Lots more bending and stooping which is not my favorite thing.

I trimmed the opening with a drywall plunge router, very slowly up to about 1/32" of my line. I brought the opening up to my line with an air sander and finally a hand file. One tip for fine work: Paint pens and sharpie lines tend to get worn away as you work. I lightly scribed my line into the gel coat with an x-acto knife. As you are filing and sanding that fine scribed line fills with white dust and is very easy to see against the red gel coat or your black sharpie line.

First pass with the HSRF.

I sanded off some of the HSRF with the Dremel tool and added a second layer around the studs. Here's my only advice: Tape over the threads of the studs when adding HSRF to keep them clean. Keep a nut on the threads to chase out any HSRF that might sneak past your tape and gum up a thread. I did that on 7 of 8 studs. Must have got interrupted or something but one stud was left bare and yes it takes a long time to pick HSRF out of threads with an x-acto knife.

Finished product.

And that, ladies and gentlemen will conclude the body work section of this thread.

I was able to visit Jeff Miller at his shop and discuss what he like owners to do, and more importantly, what he'd prefer them not to do. He answered all of my questions and showed me how he like to do things, and in what order. As you can imagine, there are different ways to do all of these body fitting jobs, even amongst the pros. I have read so many threads and made tons of notes and while all of the ideas I've picked up are valid, not all are conducive to the way Jeff likes to work. I think if you are planning to take your project to a pro, it is time well spent to visit them in advance and discuss a game plan.

My hat's off to all of you who do your own body work and paint. I'd love to but just don't have the proper facilities. I drilled a few holes, made a little fiberglass dust and got just enough of a taste of it to be able to hand it off to Da Bat with no regrets.

On to the next project.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Steve. I'm not really looking forward to the fiberglass work either. I hope I can find a good painter here in the Dallas area.

Post Thanks / Like

Kirkey Seat Install

The Kirkey low backs seem to be the go-to seat for tall guys. These are the 17" wide model. I'll be mounting these directly to the floor and fairly upright for max head and leg room.

The rear of the seat will sit flush and I made a bracket to locate the front.

I marked up my floor pan to show the 2" tube just fwd of the seat belt brackets and the steel plate. I marked the 4" main frame tube and the area where there is no steel support (no-man's land). I'll put two 5/16" nutserts in the 2" tube and run two bolts through the forward bracket and the steel plate. I might be able to get a bolt through the back of the seat into the 2" tube in the back wall. Still need to work that out.

I'm just laying things out. I won't drill until I have final body positioning but since they sit so low I don't see any way to interfere with the body.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Kirkey Seat Shaping

The Kirkeys have been part of my build plan since day-one but I've never loved their shape. Something about the side bolster bothered me. I noticed in one of Gumball's posts that he had reshaped his seats. I PM'd Chris and he was kind enough to direct me to one of his earlier posts where he had photos of his seat shaping in progress. So, finally I'm thanking someone besides EdwardB.

The Kirkeys have a slotted oval aluminum edge extrusion. I called Kirkey and they said they'd sell me stock edging for $5/foot. Nice to know it was available if I buggered it up but I was able to get this done and retain the original edging.

First step was to grind the welds loose. Easier said than done but I got pretty good at it after a few. Once the welds were loose, I could bend the edging out of the way.

I free handed the shape I wanted.

Jig saw and hand grinder with flap wheel and I had the seat shaped to my liking.

From here it was pretty easy to reshape the edge beading with a rubber mallet. I will stitch weld this all back into place later.
    I made a cardboard template from my first side and was able to transfer that same shape to the other side and the other seat.

The difference is subtle but I'm very pleased with the change.

THANKS GUMBALL!

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Innovative work on the seats Steve. Nicely done. Are you getting custom covers made or what is your plan there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Innovative work on the seats Steve. Nicely done. Are you getting custom covers made or what is your plan there?
    Thanks Scott. Yes, I'm working on a few different ideas for the seats. Ive been to a couple upholstery shops learning the language and trying to sort out all that I don't know. Getting closer.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,
    Stupid question, what is HSRF? I am guessing some super duper glue Got more info?
    I am getting the same vent from **********.

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Stupid question, what is HSRF? I am guessing some super duper glue Got more info?
    I am getting the same vent from **********.

Thanks,
    Martin
    Not a stupid question. I had to google it myself.
    HSRF is High Strength Repair Filler, made by 3M Marine.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Str...ywords=3m+hsrf

It is a 2 part product used in boat repair. So far, I've only used it to bond the studs to the body to mount my louvers and to mount some nut plates in the trunk lid. The EdwardB build thread shows more uses for it.

-Steve

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast