Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2016 Coyote Autometer Tachometer hookup

Post Thanks / Like

2016 Coyote Autometer Tachometer hookup

To anyone installing the 2015/2016 coyote engine and needing Tach help:

I've been working with Ford Racing, Autometer, and FF to get the wiring of the 2016 Coyote and Ultralight gauge setup.
    In the 2016 Coyote there is no tach wire per se, but there is a positive coil wire in the Coyote harness that is used to hookup to the Autometer Tach Adapter 9117.
    This is how I did it and it works very nicely so far.

First you have to have the Autometer tach adapter 9117.
    It will have 4 wires: grey, red, red-green, and black.
    I mounted the tach adapter to the inside firewall.

Next you will have to identify the positive continuous coil wire in the Coyote harness. This wire is called the VPWR4 wire, it is grey, and can be found by opening the fuse box and tracing Fuse 4 to the grey wire (VPWR4).
    The grey wire can also be found at the connection of C146 connection, pin1 between the harness and engine( It is referred to VPWR4). The grey wire ultimately connects to the purple coil continuous positive wires.

image001.png

Once you have isolated this wire grey VPWR, cut it and connect it to the Tach Adapter in this way:
    Red Tach adapter wire connect to the Harness side of the grey wire (the proximal end of the grey wire after it was cut)
    Red-Green Tach adapter wire connect to the Coil side of the grey wire (the distal end of the grey wire after it was cut)
    Black wire to any ground location
    Grey wire connect to the Purple Ron Francis tach signal or directly to the Ultralite tachometer.

I will take some pics and show the steps in more visual form for anyone else whom prefers information to be relayed in similar fashion as Denny's; where you don't have to even speak any known language but be able to look at the menu pics, grunt and point. (at least that's how I need info relayed to me!)

Salud!
    Jon

2. Thanks konaturbocoupe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have pictures and steps that you reference in your post. I will be attempting the hookup soon. Thank you in advance for your help. Email me at [email protected] if you can. Thanks.