Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Texas Saga

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Texas Saga

So to summarize. The local County Tax office did not know the difference between an assembled vehicle and a custom built replica. You can see the difference by reading the paragraphs in the reference cited below.You don't have to have all the forms cited in the reference, especially the police department sign off. The DMV officials that issue the VIN can just assign the serial number of your car as a VIN. My local County Tax office was confused about the restriction on antique plates versus the use of the replica hot rod or custom built registration. They felt the restrictions would be the same though they clearly are not. I applied for the classic car registration based on their guidance. I have to have the car inspected annually for the DPS safety inspection. I am still not clear what happens when you get to the DMV for the VIN if the LEO has not signed off on the proper form but apparently you can make them let you use the serial number. from the car. The problem is I have wound up with a car that is not 25 years old but is licensed as a 25 year old car. Had I done it the way described below I would h ave a replica of a car built over 25 years ago that I would not have to have inspected annually, yet I would not have any restrictions as I would have had with the Antique tags. Is that accurate?
    Last edited by wrp; 11-13-2016 at 02:00 AM.

2. Thanks Studz75 thanked for this post