Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 "Blackhawk" Coupe Build

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 "Blackhawk" Coupe Build

I will post details shortly. Just got from SEMA and have some stuff to do around the house,...wow...I am beat! Looking forward to this next chapter....let me know if you have any questions and once the car shows up I can provide any details you would like.

Check Back...and HANG ON....gonna be a fast one.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you order a Gen 3 for a new build?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did (look at the thread title )

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    Just double checking! It is an amazing new design. I will keep up with the build with great interest. I'd like to see one during the build phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    I live near Beckley WV. About 3 hours north of Bristol TN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed! And great meeting you at SEMA, I'm looking forward to this build thread.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will it have night vision and stick control?

Post Thanks / Like
    We should get the boys back together and knock it out in 48 hours

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Subscribing. These threads make me feel embarrassed. So quick, and such high quality as well. Looking forward to seeing this unfold.
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed! It will be quite interesting to watch this build as it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    How soon before they start delivering?

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I decided to do this a little bit different this time...I always get asked...how do you do so quick...do I have kids, another job, married...answer is yes... to all...

It is really in the planning.... and understanding how the engineers at Factory Five intend the things to go together as well....

So planning for every build start months out...not when the kit shows up.

Things I know that need to happen DAY 1.

I need to get the nose off and poke the motor and tranny in to ensure the MT 82 Version 2 transmission fits in the frame...it is bigger than what was used during the design....so that is some risk there to schedule....but once I know I can pull it back out and go to town...

Aluminum is first to get marked and pulled and then ALL drilled....then off to coating the next morning.... locate front and rear components for suspension and hang those...Day 1 done....

now here is the how we go from here on out.... AFTER everything is cleaned in the garage....make a list for the next FEW things to do each day....AND ONLY WORK THOSE....then quit for the day. The next day if you find something that peeks your interest...put it down and look away. On your wrap up of that day go back and look at it and decide if you need to deal with it the next day or not. Then just keep the process going....

so... so far... this what has happened in my garage...

Engine and Tranny ready - installed new clutch and reorganized the wire loom so the ECU will go out the back
    Turbos purchased
    Injectors purchase - will go in when I go down to Wayne's for tuning - car will be NA until then
    blow off and WG's purchased.

Have located exhaust suppliers (this will be custom), intercooler selection I think is done, the gauge pack I am going to use is already identified, interior accessories are coming together as far a plan, additional Factory five Accessories have been identified (AC and Heat, wipers and such)

SO this is how we sit now...

Turbos

Wire Loom disassembled and relocated so that the ECU can be mounted in the firewall

Waste Gates, Blow Valve and Injectors

Tranny Split from motor and new twin clutch installed

While that was going on ...painted the tranny and then reinstalled --- hope it fits --- plan already have a plan if the frame needs some messaging...

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 11-05-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paint plan is also done early so that color coordination can be done during the build up so that the small details can be painted and coordinated....

Some will probably not like it... but I think the in a larger scale it will look right.... The color is from the UH60 Blackhawk CARC green... but this is automotive paint and will be done satin with the black stripes and other details along the way. From the Car Warriors plan... EVERYTHING gets touched... nothing goes on without something done to it....truly an exercise of make the whole better by concentrating on the small stuff.

So my thought: All sorts of blue and white coupes...there were only 6 of them anyway... Red has been done...all my cars are Grey and the thought was maybe just to do that...but maybe not... so start with this:

some imagination:

not sure I like the wheels all "murdered" out... but

sooo.... I think a "little" contrast...

so there ya go... all out of the bag....I will do this as close to real time as I can and post the any self induced issues (called the "Erik Factor" in my house)...and we see where we end up... hopefully right on target and no course corrections that are too drastic.

anyway... hoping for 600-650Hp or where ever the 7psi waste gate springs land us... should be more than enough!!!

Enjoy the thread.... should be a hoot... and I am thankful to be able to do this.... these cars are so cool and I can't stand not having one in the garage right now!
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 11-05-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info. I knew the planning starts well ahead of time. Do you know when the Gen 3 build manual might be available? Seems a good place to start for a newbie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't ... sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    I reviewed the photos of the 5.0 from the album. Is it new or a Mustang? I going to start looking for engine and trans in the next couple months. Thanks for the prep plan while waiting on the kit. Makes the thought process go in a more logical direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    It came from a 2015 mustang with 14k on it

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it! Feels like maybe something with Garrett reference needed. Does the UH60 still use Garrett turbine? Maybe a shifter with cockpit reference and a heads up display? Don't follow tradition Erik, build it crazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Thanks. Is the Gen 3 built to accept the 2010-2016 Mustang components? Don't want to be a pest but you seem to be the most knowledgeable person on the new design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drooling....

Post Thanks / Like
    Bookmarked

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go, Erik!!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik-

LOVE the plan! It's going to be a great build, and I know you will build it at an incredible pace as well.

I really look forward to following along! The H-60 is a great bird, and your color scheme will look pretty cool. Different, but cool!

Gonna be a great ride!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the plan a lot! I think the color works well too, but I also started working where they built Chinooks and V-22s so I appreciate military colors.
    Looks like you also sourced a die-cast Coupe for your planning stages! Works well for the initial concept

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Eric,

I'll keep this short, sweet & definitely to the point.

1. Loved The Black Mamba & Saw It At The Beginning Of The Hot Rod Power Tour!
    2. I Drooled Over Your Green Lantern When You Had It On Ebay, Way Back In The Day.
    3. Heading To Panama City To See The New Type 65.
    4. Can't Wait To See Your Interpretation Of This New Model Once Completed!

Radar absorbing paint would go a long way don't you think?

Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-06-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Eric,

I'll keep this short, sweet & definitely to the point.

1. Loved The Black Mamba & Saw It At The Beginning Of The Hot Rod Power Tour!
    2. I Drooled Over Your Green Lantern When You Had It On Ebay, Way Back In The Day.
    3. Heading To Panama City To See The New Type 65.
    4. Can't Wait To See Your Interpretation Of This New Model Once Completed!

Radar absorbing paint would go a long way don't you think?

Maybe turbo whine like a 2 1/2 ton and the wheel hubs make tail rotor noise about 55mph? Just kidding, definitely like the homage to the UH60 an a nod to Veterans.
    Already a couple friends interested in the new gen 65 and I'm watching closely. Keep those pictures coming Erik!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moderators:

Maybe start a separate Gen III section?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric
    this sounds like a great build in the works.
    Since John G will be building his in our shop we have started also
    all the parts are have been stripped from the challenge car, and prepped.
    We will start a little differently than you as we will start with the body work first. fitting all the fiberglass
    and off to paint while we build the chassis.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds Great Mark! I am going to go down to PCB this week and work the booth... I need to check some more stuff out... I am concerned a little that the MT 82 right out of the 2015 will be "tight" and might need to message some stuff...

Today all that I got done is that I made my own motor lift mounts and spreader bar since the factory removes them from the car after they install the engine...and they are $$$ to buy...so ...extra metal laying around now has a purpose

As soon as the motor is fitted and the panels drilled I plan on also getting the body off to paint...I think....lol... we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Eric, Do the Roadster threads on a build correlate to the Coupe on basics, such as how to mount suspension, dropping engine & transmission, etc? There seems to be more threads on Roadsters as they are more popular. Len

Post Thanks / Like
    Watching closely
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Moderators:

Maybe start a separate Gen III section?.
    No please don't. One reason I never look at the 289 forum is that there are so many sub-forums. It's not like there is going to be something posted every day on a dozen forums.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the color combo. Black wheels would look nice as well.

I am looking forward to following your build. You always do such a great job.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

35. Likes Slow and Slightly Angry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erik:

It was great catching up with you this weekend and talking shop. I'll be looking forward your build, especially now that I got up close and personal with the Gen 3. Since I'll be helping Henry build his whenever I can, I'll be your "internal source", if he decides not to share info with you. But hey, keep it on the DL. We wouldn't want him to find out...

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Haha, 2 Chiefs conspiring against me Wish I could've been there but work was beckoning. Next year for sure!!! Build plan sounds awesome Erik. I am still deciding on color. My motor/tranny is coming in tomorrow from Mike Forte and I am picking up wheels/tires and kit in a few weeks. Really looking forward to this. I'm sure we'll be talking quite a bit once we get moving forward.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I ordered so we can track it together:

COMPLETE COUPE GEN 3
    POWDER COATING GEN 3 COUPE CHASSIS
    31 SPLINE 2015 IRS 10.625" DRIVESHAFT
    BODY CUT-OUTS
    BOX 9 D LOWBACK VINTAGE RACE SEATS
    COYOTE POWER STEERING COMPONENTS
    FRONT LOWER ARMS - STANDARD WIDTH
    2015 IRS PARTS
    COUPE NOSE SCOOPS
    COUPE WINDSHIELD WIPER ASSEMBLY
    GEN 3 COUPE BLACK CARPET KIT
    RDSTR FRONT SWAYBAR COMPS (4/14/15 +)
    2015 IRS SWAYBAR COMPONENTS
    2015 IRS CENTER SECTION AND SPINDLES
    GEN 3 COUPE COYOTE A/C KIT
    18x9/11" 5 LUG HALIBRAND REPLICA WHEELS
    2015 IRS STOCK BRAKES
    COYOTE/3V HEADERS WITH FASTENERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quit bragging and get to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a fantastic build. I'll keep track with great interest. Len

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's my order:

COMPLETE COUPE GEN 3
    POWDER COATING GEN 3 COUPE CHASSIS
    COUPE GPS GAUGE SET W/KIT
    MODULAR ENG/TRANS MKUNT KIT
    COYOTE FULL LENGTH SS HEADERS
    31 SPLINE 2015 IRS 10.625" DRIVESHAFT
    BODY CUT-OUTS
    BOX 9 D LOWBACK VINTAGE RACE SEATS
    COYOTE POWER STEERING COMPONENTS
    FRONT LOWER ARMS - STANDARD WIDTH
    2015 IRS PARTS
    COUPE NOSE SCOOPS
    GEN 3 COUPE COYOTE A/C KIT
    COUPE WINDSHIELD WIPER ASSEMBLY
    GEN 3 COUPE BLACK CARPET KIT
    14" LEATHER STEERING WHEEL UPGRADE
    RDSTR FRONT SWAYBAR COMPS (4/14/15 +)
    2015 IRS SWAYBAR COMPONENTS
    2015 IRS CENTER SECTION AND SPINDLES
    12.88' FRONT WILWOOD BRAKES - RED W/KIT
    12.88' 2015 IRS WILWOOD BRAKE KIT - RED
    DROP SHIP BRAKES

Very similar builds except I am using a new stock Coyote and TKO600. I will use the 18" wheels but I already have them.

Thx,

Henry

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast