I finally have VA tags on #8516 (got 'em yesterday) and drove on the road for the first time, but that's another story. Here's how the process went.

1. I did not physically go to Richmond to submit the titling package. Following the fairly clear instructions on the DMV website for "Titling a Reconstructed, Specially Constructed of Replica Vehicle," I put together the package and sent it via registered mail to the Richmond DMV office, attn: Vehicle Branding Work Office.
2. The contents were: completed forms VSA 22 (app. for assigned VIN); VSA 17A (app. for Certificate of Title and Registration); Proof of address (copy of your VA drivers license & a utility bill); Ownership docs including paid invoices for kit, engine, trans, rear axle, paint job, and F5 MCO); Notarized statement by me of vehicle construction and photos of construction stages and completed vehicle (about 3 - 4 pages with lots of specifics about exactly how I built the kit, obtained the engine/driveline, dates of completion by phase, with pictures); a check for the inspection and title fees. I called the office and asked about what VIN would be assigned, and they said that the F5 serial number from the MCO (which is also stamped on the frame above the DS foot well) is what they would use as the VIN number.
3. Supposed to take 3 weeks to approve, then receive a call from their "law enforcement liaison" folks to schedule an on site inspection at my house. I called them after 3 1/2 weeks with no word, they said "it's approved, but you must send us a check for the sales tax before the next step." I asked the amount, (which turned out to be 4.15% of the total cost numbers I had provided in my statement), and they said they'd send me the number the next day. Instead they mailed back my entire package! I wrote a check for the tax amount (over $2K) and Fed Ex'd the whole thing back. Nothing heard for one more week, I called again. They said all was received and approved, I should hear from their Law Enforcement folks within a few days to schedule the inspection, but if not, here's a number to call.
4. Nothing heard for 5 days, called the LE liaison number, asking if I could schedule the visit. They said "no you can't, we set them up in the order received, and we can take up to 14 business days to call you." An officer called me for an appointment the next day - not sure my *****ing helped, but it seemed like it did.
5. The DMV officer (a very nice State Trooper on assignment there) came by the next day. He checked that the number stamped on the frame by F5 actually matched the number on the MCO and the number I'd put on the VIN application form, and found that they were the same. He then said "your title is already done, I can see it on my computer (the cop computer in his car), but it has a hold on it until I file my report today that the inspection is complete/OK." Also said I should receive the title in the mail in 3-4 days, but did not need to wait for that to go to local DMV and get registration/tags. He said "your hold will be off within 2 days. You can go to DMV, show them your license and VIN number, and they'll be able to look up on their computer that you have a valid VIN number and will issue you a registration and tags."
6. Did not receive the mailed title after 5 days. Called the officer, who had given me his card w/cell number, and asked for the title number. He gave me that, and said if i had any problems at local DMV to call him and he'd fix it. Went to Tysons Corner DMV with a filled out VSA 14 (app. for registration) including the title # he'd given me over the phone. Sure enough the DMV folks there, when I said I hadn't received the title document yet but state DMV had told me it was released, looked it up on their computer and said OK, you're good to go! Got plates and a registration, and am now driving on the street.
7. VA laws for replica cars are a bit weird, but on all forms put: 1965 for the vehicle year, Factory Five for make, MK 4 Roadster for model, 2 dr roadster for body type, and the F5 serial number for the VIN. You can leave all the gross/empty weight blocks blank. You don't need to apply/pay for a VIN plate, as the inspector will look at the number F5 stamps on the frame. I later stamped my number on the F5 provided plate and riveted it elsewhere on the frame. All the VA DMV folks were very nice to deal with (though not all in agreement on process/procedures), and the law enforcement office was extremely helpful. He lives in Warrenton, and if anyone wants his name/numer, send me a private message.

Hope this was helpful Questions?