Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Virginia registration - here's how it went

Post Thanks / Like

Finished Virginia registration - here's how it went

I finally have VA tags on #8516 (got 'em yesterday) and drove on the road for the first time, but that's another story. Here's how the process went.

1. I did not physically go to Richmond to submit the titling package. Following the fairly clear instructions on the DMV website for "Titling a Reconstructed, Specially Constructed of Replica Vehicle," I put together the package and sent it via registered mail to the Richmond DMV office, attn: Vehicle Branding Work Office.
    2. The contents were: completed forms VSA 22 (app. for assigned VIN); VSA 17A (app. for Certificate of Title and Registration); Proof of address (copy of your VA drivers license & a utility bill); Ownership docs including paid invoices for kit, engine, trans, rear axle, paint job, and F5 MCO); Notarized statement by me of vehicle construction and photos of construction stages and completed vehicle (about 3 - 4 pages with lots of specifics about exactly how I built the kit, obtained the engine/driveline, dates of completion by phase, with pictures); a check for the inspection and title fees. I called the office and asked about what VIN would be assigned, and they said that the F5 serial number from the MCO (which is also stamped on the frame above the DS foot well) is what they would use as the VIN number.
    3. Supposed to take 3 weeks to approve, then receive a call from their "law enforcement liaison" folks to schedule an on site inspection at my house. I called them after 3 1/2 weeks with no word, they said "it's approved, but you must send us a check for the sales tax before the next step." I asked the amount, (which turned out to be 4.15% of the total cost numbers I had provided in my statement), and they said they'd send me the number the next day. Instead they mailed back my entire package! I wrote a check for the tax amount (over $2K) and Fed Ex'd the whole thing back. Nothing heard for one more week, I called again. They said all was received and approved, I should hear from their Law Enforcement folks within a few days to schedule the inspection, but if not, here's a number to call.
    4. Nothing heard for 5 days, called the LE liaison number, asking if I could schedule the visit. They said "no you can't, we set them up in the order received, and we can take up to 14 business days to call you." An officer called me for an appointment the next day - not sure my *****ing helped, but it seemed like it did.
    5. The DMV officer (a very nice State Trooper on assignment there) came by the next day. He checked that the number stamped on the frame by F5 actually matched the number on the MCO and the number I'd put on the VIN application form, and found that they were the same. He then said "your title is already done, I can see it on my computer (the cop computer in his car), but it has a hold on it until I file my report today that the inspection is complete/OK." Also said I should receive the title in the mail in 3-4 days, but did not need to wait for that to go to local DMV and get registration/tags. He said "your hold will be off within 2 days. You can go to DMV, show them your license and VIN number, and they'll be able to look up on their computer that you have a valid VIN number and will issue you a registration and tags."
    6. Did not receive the mailed title after 5 days. Called the officer, who had given me his card w/cell number, and asked for the title number. He gave me that, and said if i had any problems at local DMV to call him and he'd fix it. Went to Tysons Corner DMV with a filled out VSA 14 (app. for registration) including the title # he'd given me over the phone. Sure enough the DMV folks there, when I said I hadn't received the title document yet but state DMV had told me it was released, looked it up on their computer and said OK, you're good to go! Got plates and a registration, and am now driving on the street.
    7. VA laws for replica cars are a bit weird, but on all forms put: 1965 for the vehicle year, Factory Five for make, MK 4 Roadster for model, 2 dr roadster for body type, and the F5 serial number for the VIN. You can leave all the gross/empty weight blocks blank. You don't need to apply/pay for a VIN plate, as the inspector will look at the number F5 stamps on the frame. I later stamped my number on the F5 provided plate and riveted it elsewhere on the frame. All the VA DMV folks were very nice to deal with (though not all in agreement on process/procedures), and the law enforcement office was extremely helpful. He lives in Warrenton, and if anyone wants his name/numer, send me a private message.

Hope this was helpful Questions?

2. Thanks Aircontroller, DougB, akim thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although I live in WV it's nice to have a process to refer to. Thanks! Enjoy your ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    This extremely helpful. If you buy from Craigslist, do you just write up a receipt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info. Thanks for the write-up.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for the write-up. One day I'll be following in your foot steps.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has been done for a couple of years but I am curious about what you found regarding antique or standard tags. Which did you get?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations....Did you have to go through inspection and get a windshield sticker ??

Post Thanks / Like
    For CraigS and Tomcat, the Virginia regs regarding tags and inspections may have changed, but presently, a "replica car" such as our F5 Roadsters do NOT (actually cannot) get Antique plates. You can get any type of current plates you like, including vanity or specialty plates. And YES, you do have to go through the safety inspection and obtain/display a windshield sticker, and renew it annually. You are NOT required to get emissions tested, as the car is listed as a 1965 model year on the title. Oddly enough, current regs only allow 5,000 miles of driving per year, as with a vehicle registered as an antique. However, the DMV liaison officer assured me that "no one tracks that," and that DMV will not know how many miles you driver per year. And for Scottiec re Craigslist, I don't know what type of receipt is required. I would think if the seller doesn't provide a receipt you could make one yourself, but I don't know how the state would then validate the sales price for tax purposes. When you send in your package to Richmond to apply for a VIN and title, you are signing an official state form affirming that all the info you provided is true and correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    what did the trooper check/inspect, other than the serial number on the frame?

did you have to have wipers?

Post Thanks / Like
    For me 2yrs ago all the trooper did was verify the VIN and that my car was actually the one I had sent pictures of. Apparently long ago, there were some who sent in pics of a different car. The safety inspection does the rest. My car has wipers so it wasn't a question but the basic guideline is that if a 65 car needed it, you do too. One example that comes to mind is side marker lights not needed because they were only required way after 65.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not build the one I am getting. It should arrive from Levy Racing next week. I think the process is the same, though. On form VSA22, did you put 1965 for the date constructed, or the actual completion date? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Very timely post ... at least for me ... I am starting the process very soon.

Thanks,

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Virginia can definitely be an odd state. I recommend going to Richmond to drop off your package for the reasons you covered in delays. They actually tabulated my sales tax on the spot and it was cheaper than I had calculated because they don't include shipping and handling. You have to insist on waiting for someone to look at the package rather than just drop it off...and be nice! (It was easy for me being 20 minutes away). And like the others, the inspector checks almost nothing. I guess you could get away with no wipers, etc. I know of at least one person who did.

One other tidbit: I don't have a front plate. I spoke with a police officer this weekend at my church and we had a good discussion. Bottom line is it is a gray area. The VA statues on antiques don't require them because the original made no provision for them. The replica statute says it has to be made like the original. So I keep the statutes printed in my glove box just in case. He told me he would never bother me because he knows you would have "to drill holes in the care for a plate", but that a Trooper wouldn't care - "he only knows VA requires 2 plates!" No problems so far. Oh, and I do have it inspected.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello olda4guy,

Subject: Finished Virginia registration - here's how it went

Questions for you. Because the car was registered as a 1965, did you need catalytic converters and need to pass emissions testing? I'm ready to order a MK4 and was told (in Georgia) that the car would be inspected based on what year I say the is... 1965, and emissions is not a requirement for a car that old.

Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for a Virginia State inspection station where they know the deal with inspecting to 1965 standards, and can be trusted not to wreck my car. I'm a little concerned because of the very low ground clearance and "twitchy" nature of the car (427w with dual quads). I will be removing the spinners on the Halibrands so they won't have to fight with getting them off and on. I sorta trust my normal place, but if theres a spot in central Virginia used to seeing a Cobra Replica, I'd go there. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Manassas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply CraigS. Manassas could work. Nice ride 522 to 28. 40 minutes maybe. Where in Manassas? Might be a good sticky. A list of places in each state that are competent, fair, and careful inspecting FFR kit cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Hello olda4guy,

Subject: Finished Virginia registration - here's how it went

Questions for you. Because the car was registered as a 1965, did you need catalytic converters and need to pass emissions testing? I'm ready to order a MK4 and was told (in Georgia) that the car would be inspected based on what year I say the is... 1965, and emissions is not a requirement for a car that old.

Thanks,
    David
    Hi David, I hadn't checked this thread for a while (too much fun driving around in the Mk4), so sorry for the delay. No, I do not have catalytic converters, and no emissions inspection was required. As you pointed out it's registered as a 1965, and 65's had no emissions requirement. Not sure if this is true in other VA counties, but in Fairfax there are no "inspection stations" per se (as in states like NJ), the inspections are done at a local gas station with an inspection license. We tend to get all our inspections done at the local Exxon here in Great Falls, where the owner is a friend. The mechanic took about 5 minutes, checked the VIN and all the lights/signals/horn/wipers, did not pull the wheels, and gave me the sticker. I had my front plate temporarily attached, but have since removed it. They weren't required in '65, and I've been driving newer Porsche 911's in the state for almost 20 years without a problem. I do keep the front tag available in the car (trunk or glovebox), just not mounted. I may be a "scofflaw" and taking a bit of legal risk, but even when stopped for speeding I have not been cited for lacking a front tag.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    mkm492 I sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moving to fairfax county in a couple months, this is great info. Your cobra is registered as a 1965, and you just completed process?

23. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading a bunch about inspection rules and registration. Any car manufactured after 1969 needs a defroster, and cars manufactured after 1985 need a center high light and are subject to emissions. Did you get around all that by registering it as a 1965? I have also read that if the car is registered as a kit car, it can only be driven 5000 miles a year. Were you able to get around this? Thanks in advance for all the help

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is more recent: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-I-have-plates!!!

By registering as a replica of a 1965, the subjects of defroster, high center light, and emissions never came up. I've only got 2800 miles so far, but I can't imagine the DMV has its collective act together such that they check mileage at the annual inspection.

Note that when you register, there will be a comment in the lower right hand corner of your title stating your car is a replica. That little comment sets a flag in the DMV data base such that you can't get antique plates (that is, until the car is 25+ years old). The clerk at my local DMV tried her best to give me antique plates, but was thwarted by that code set in Richmond.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that dang little flag. A month ago I finally got around to doing a change of address since we moved from N Va to S Va. Figured what the heck, might as well try once more to get antique tags. The counter person got her boss and neither could make it work. She said she would email Richmond and try to get it straightened out. So I left and she called me back 1.5 hrs later. No antique tags.

27. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Howdy everyone,

I’m trying to calculate taxes.

I have a question from the point of purchase at F5.

Another fella posted in another thread that F5 will charge a 6.25% Massachusetts sales tax if you pick up yourself vs no tax if you ship via Stewart Transport. That’s almost a savings of ~$800 bucks for me living in Va by doing that.

Also, does anyone know how the county calculates your property tax with the new build?

Post Thanks / Like
    I titled my roadster in 2017. The state looked at the 3 things in my submission packet to calculate taxes; the invoice from F5, the invoice from Levy Racing for the the engine & transmission, the title for the "donor" covering everything else. They summed the 2 invoices and then calculated the tax based on that total.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

30. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting. But how is the county able to calculate true value of the vehicle to tax it?

You’re referring to initial value but then depreciation has to set in. How do they account for the depreciation and assess current value on a vehicle that’s not in the KBB?

Quote Originally Posted by ej95Cobra View Post
    I titled my roadster in 2017. The state looked at the 3 things in my submission packet to calculate taxes; the invoice from F5, the invoice from Levy Racing for the the engine & transmission, the title for the "donor" covering everything else. They summed the 2 invoices and then calculated the tax based on that total.

Post Thanks / Like
    To the best of my knowledge, they don't allow for depreciation. Also, I *think* whatever you pay in MA sales tax will be credited for your VA sales tax, so you won't save any money; you'll just have a smaller tax bill due when you register.

For a real answer, you can always call the VA DMV Vehicle Branding office in Richmond; their number is (804) 367-1179.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631

33. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Virginia DMV Titling office - 804-367-2929
    Virginia DMV Vehicle Branding Work Office - 804-367-1179

To my fellow virginians...the value of these phone numbers made available is incalculable.

You cannot easily find these numbers and if you call the regular VA DMV phone line after about let’s say uhmm 9am.....*puh* you will not be able to talk to a live person and you’ll be lucky if the call doesn’t drop because all the lines are busy. Just sayin’!
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 10-12-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Keepin’ it real

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok....this is awesome! (In the sense of finally getting clarification).

I called the Vehicle Branding Work Office (Virginia). The way that they make you pay sales tax is that you’ll have to tally all of your receipts and for the receipts that you turn in that you HAVE NOT been taxed on, they’ll levy a 4.15% sales tax on.

In this thread below:

(https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...021#post384021)

A fellow enthusiast mentioned “ It sounds like FFR is charging a 6.25% MA state tax when picking up kit — avoided if getting vehicle delivered by Stewart. I’m still trying to research this for Maryland but was hoping someone has already figured this out.”

If that’s the case, you save at least 2.10% in taxes by rolling with Virginia because it may be cheaper to pay the VA tax than the MA tax taking into calculation the Stewart Transport costs.

This has been excellent info for me. It’s been killing me not knowing how the taxes thing worked.

I’m awaiting a response from Spotsylvania county as to how they calculate the tax for a car that is not gonna show up in the NADA.
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 10-09-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Grammur

Post Thanks / Like
    A question for Virginia replica owners. Can you title a replica if the kit was bought from outside the state (Texas) and the COO is in the original FFR purchasers name and address? I am hearing yes and no. Yes, if you have a bill of sale naming the new Virginia owner and previous Texas owner, and it includes a sales price. No, because the state of Virginia only accepts original COO addressed to a Virginia resident. Just trying to understand which is correct. Thanks in advance, Tony

37. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dang Tony...you posted an excellent scenario. I think the VA DMV will be the best source for that one.

I would guess, yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Aircontroller. I called Virginia DMV and the answer is yes, provided the bill of sale lists both owners, price, components. I had a good feeling this was the case since I could not find forum discussions indicating titling issues - assumes certificate of origins change hands before titling. Thanks! Tony

40. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome!

You da man!

Quote Originally Posted by calucyk View Post
    Thanks Aircontroller. I called Virginia DMV and the answer is yes, provided the bill of sale lists both owners, price, components. I had a good feeling this was the case since I could not find forum discussions indicating titling issues - assumes certificate of origins change hands before titling. Thanks! Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    I follow this thread to a T.

I submitted my paperwork January 25, 2020, followed up with the branded title department at week four, and they issued title that week..An officer called me about a week later. The officer verified the vin on the frame and engine. After he uploads the form, plates can be retrieved at dmv. Richmond generates a title within the week and mails it.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Save yourself a LOT of aggravation ! Use a vehicle"Tag & Title" company(they deal w/this stuff everyday).
    The local DMV had NO clue on how to register my Cobra.I finally used a tag & title company to deal w/the DMV.
    They did all the paperwork, they did all the footwork, they sent all the forms to Richmond .....
    $50.00 and 3 weeks later the Registration & plates were in my mailbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a car by hand alone. I’m pretty sure I can handle 14 pieces of paper.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone dreads the experience with registration. Some knowledge beforehand is invaluable. I am close to the go cart stage in my build, and I appreciate the contributions in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have another question about Virginia inspection for this thread. Don't know if anyone in Virginia has built a Type 65 Coupe-R yet but...

I have placed an order for one. It has those roll cage bars behind the windshield. Since the car would now have to go through the state inspection, I'm wondering if this clause in the inspection rules would be a problem? Are there any Coupe-R owners in Virginia that have gone through inspection? Here's the clause out of the rulebook.

"Any distortion or obstruction that interferes with a driver's vision; any alteration
    that has been made to a vehicle that obstructs the driver's clear view through the
    windshield. This may include large objects hanging from the inside mirror, CB
    radios or tachometers on the dash, hood scoops and other ornamentation on or in
    front of the hood that is not transparent."

For what it is worth, I called the Virginia Vehicle Branding Work Center. The person that answered the phone was very helpful. She didn't think that the roll cage bars would be an issue. But she wouldn't be the person doing the inspection. I might call the State Police local inspection office next and get their take on it. But I thought I'd check here and see if anyone had relevant experience? Maybe I could claim that it isn't an alteration since it came built that way - but don't know if that would fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its nice to see that there are several Roadsters in the area, I am just across the river in Waldorf and my kit was ordered last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast