BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Best Shop Lighting I've Found So Far

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Best Shop Lighting I've Found So Far

I've been through a few different types of lighting in my shop over the past several years, but what I just installed is by far the best that I've seen at a somewhat reasonable price point.

Here is what I just bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed four of these in a 30x30 foot section of my shop and it is incredibly bright in the entire area. Previous setups would light the area, but would produce shadows and dimly-lit corners. These lights are intense! The 250W version that I bought put out nearly 35,000 lumen each. They come ready to hardwire as well as with a standard grounded 110v plug that can be connected. They are also dimmer-ready with separate dimmer circuit designed for 1-10v dimmers.

If you've been in the market for shop lighting, give these a look. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by sharing this, but I know many of us have struggled to find the right lighting for our shops/garages and since they are not related to car parts, I thought it would be okay to share.
    Last edited by Papa; 06-07-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

2. Thanks svassh, WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes CaptB, Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting information, I have been looking at options. Over the last couple of years I have replaced my 4ft fluorescents with 4ft LED strip lights for my indoor shop and garage lighting.
    I bought them at ~$50 ea at a big box farm/fleet store. As you have seen the LED hype is long life. They are failing at a high rate. First a dead spot 6" long, then 24in dead. They do not last as long as incandescent or fluorescent.

Several years ago I was looking for 500W LED yard lights, and found a similar aluminum housing shop/work light on a short stand. I bought two at ~$40 ea. I rigged them to mount to my soffits and painted them to match the house trim. Still working and way too bright to look into. They light-up huge areas. The difference is they are an illuminated pad with a matrix of 25-30 little elements. Your link suggests it is similar technology.

Amazon has a shop light of four or five of the matrix/pads on articulated paddles for directing the light beams. I may try a couple.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

Thanks for the info on the lights, as well as the details on your install. How did you end up placing yours? Do you think you could have gotten by on fewer of them if you placed them differently? How about if you dropped to the size smaller, would that have been sufficient?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I am preparing to light a slightly larger space, and am trying to avoid the same challenges you suggest -- I don't want any dark corners, and I don't want to have to have portable lights, or "extra" lights to make up for the general lack of lighting. I was also not interesting in throwing down close to $1K, just on garage lighting. However, better that, than replacing large numbers of less expensive ones multiple times, until I get it sorted out!

Thanks again for the info; can always count on you to provide excellent information Dave!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Dave-

Thanks for the info on the lights, as well as the details on your install. How did you end up placing yours? Do you think you could have gotten by on fewer of them if you placed them differently? How about if you dropped to the size smaller, would that have been sufficient?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I am preparing to light a slightly larger space, and am trying to avoid the same challenges you suggest -- I don't want any dark corners, and I don't want to have to have portable lights, or "extra" lights to make up for the general lack of lighting. I was also not interesting in throwing down close to $1K, just on garage lighting. However, better that, than replacing large numbers of less expensive ones multiple times, until I get it sorted out!

Thanks again for the info; can always count on you to provide excellent information Dave!!

Regards,

Steve
    Steve,

I think the number I selected is about right. I had to work around the open door, so four lights positioned about 6' from the walls works well. I would think the wattage selection could have been lower for my 12' ceilings, but I didn't want to chance it and maxed out the power to get the absolute most light I could get. If you aren't in a big hurry, watch the price as I got my 250W lights for $118 each. Right after I purchased, the price shot up to $170, and is at $150 now. I'm watching for them to drop in price and I'm going to pick up two more for my other section of my shop. It's 13'x30' with 14' ceilings.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I work in the industry so I can never resist commenting about lighting. Looking at the LEDs themselves, the specs of the Hykolity high bay fixture look plausible @ 140lm/W. 250W is a whopper of an LED fixture!

It's interesting it comes with purple/grey 0-10V dimming leads - you can see it in the picture. You can mount your 0-10V dimmer really, really far away from the fixture.

The CRI is not mentioned so it's likely <80. Fine for a shop, just don't do any paint mixing for pinstriping!

They are claiming 40 ft. round coverage at 14' mounting height, so that's a 110º beam angle. That's about right for that type of chip and clear lens.

Sorry if anyone had any trouble with their LED shop lights. I have found that the best shop lights for the money are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunco-Lightin...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

They are a little flimsy meaning they will twist a little, but of course if you surface-mount them that's not a problem.

Any questions about lighting, please ask.
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 06-08-2021 at 11:06 AM.

7. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Dave-

Sorry for the 20 questions. I am preparing to light a slightly larger space, and am trying to avoid the same challenges you suggest -- I don't want any dark corners, and I don't want to have to have portable lights, or "extra" lights to make up for the general lack of lighting...
    Walls painted white make a tremendous difference in the amount of light in the corners. If you want to do a chair rail, a darker color 3' off the floor has only a small difference in the total amount of light bouncing around.

9. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the fixtures Nice Guy Eddie suggested. They are in my 3 bay garage and work great. Inexpensive and over 2 years so far with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave and Eddie-

Thanks for your thoughts -- as well as experiences with these lights. Eddie, I may reach out to you before I make a final selection for my garage, if that's OK.

cob427sc, thanks for your affirmation as well.

Thanks again gentlemen!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve:

Post here or P/M. Need to know:

Garage size (floor)
    Ceiling Height (or mounting height if you want to do chains)
    Ceiling Color (drywall, studs only, etc.)
    Floor Color

(actually post here is better so others can learn.)
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 06-10-2021 at 10:18 AM.