FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Life has prepared me for this moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Life has prepared me for this moment.

I have been following factory five racing since I was a high school teen in the 90's. I remember reading popular mechanics and kit car magazines off the rack and thinking I would love to build one of those someday. The years went by and then college, and then the military after Sept 11th. I joined up and started flying planes for the Air Force in the mid 2000's.

Over the years I started to build jeeps and 4x4 because I lived in Colorado. I even solid axle swapped a full size bronco from the mid 90's and grafted in a 15 inch suspension shock to make it flex off road. The most recent project was to build a 2.0L Ecotech motor; fully forged and turbo charged to over 500 horsepower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McM0HyXsYOs. Yes, that is right, I built a 500hp 4 cylinder with over 250 horsepower per litre. The car still runs the tracks in Florida years later. I have about 300 pictures and videos to prove the build. I think my 0-140 mph video has almost 20k hits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0AgwqpeTQ

I knew after I built these vehicles and really got comfortable with the amount of tools I had, I needed a challenge. I wanted something I could say I built from scratch. So here I am. Life has been my build school and over the years I have built myself a solid garage/shop for making more power no matter what vehicle I was working on. I cant wait to see where this adventure goes.

Thanks for the great forum of information and a great platform to start another adventure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. Cool video. What was that the wiper that broke off? haha
    What kind of flying are you doing these days?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome; I think you'll find building one of these cars to be a very creative process, and one that allows a tremendous amount of flexibility to customize. I can relate to your comments about wanting to step up to the next level of mechanical work. I didn't feel like I would get as much enjoyment out of throwing a bunch of bolt-on parts at a sports or muscle car, and a FFR made a lot of sense. Good luck and thanks for your service!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't speak to what FFR will let you delete from either the base or "complete" kit; you will want to speak to someone at the factory and see what they will do for you in that regard. But before you do that, I would suggest going through the order form on the main FFR website as if you were just about to buy. That will give you a clear understanding of what you are and are not getting with each kit, and will put you in a position to decide what you might want to delete. Then call FFR and see what they will do for you.

My knowledge of Uniontown is limited to Caporella's restaurant, but I've spent untold hours up on the ridge at Quebec Run mountain biking, hiking and maintaining the trails. My coupe would be much farther along if that place weren't so awesome. Keep the questions coming as needed and I'm sure you'll get quick answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Thanks I grew up in Uniontown PA, near Pittsburgh. I am not sure just how I am going to buy the chassis yet. I really want to try and get rid of some of the parts on the donor build version of the chassis. There are a lot of those parts I wont need. Do they let you order a la carte?
    I see from your other thread you're planning a Roadster. No, you can't buy a la carte. Either base or complete kit and the options listed for each. There is perhaps some flexibility to delete parts, but you will need to ask with specifics. At least in my experience, sometimes the credit received for deleting parts is less than to go ahead and take the parts and then sell if not used. Your experience may vary though. If you're doing a donor build though, I'm really not sure what parts would be included with the base kit that you wouldn't need. Often it's the other way around. People end up using way fewer donor parts than originally planned.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Life has prepared me for this moment". I hope that includes a drive of a FFR Roadster before you commit. IMHO.