BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7074 and the Rustang have a new garage mate

Post Thanks / Like

7074 and the Rustang have a new garage mate

My family connection at a local Ford dealer couldn't come through - after trying since April - but I was finally able to locate what I consider the perfect GT350 for me. I've been tracking dealer orders using the Ford Partner website and was able to find an in-bound car to a small dealership in Prairie du Chien, WI - about three hours from my house. So, I contacted the dealership the day it arrived and made a deal for under MSRP, which I consider to be a fair price.

It's black on black with no stripes and no option packages. Basically it's identical to a '15 or '16 with just the Track Package, which is now standard on all of them for '17. I put a few miles on it before loading it onto the trailer and hauling it south. As is their practice, they didn't do any prep work on it, so I'm going to spend some quality time taking it out of the wrapper and installing the front splitter before putting it away for the winter.

Couple of pics.... I sure can't wait until next spring!

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I can't afford one myself, but put a few miles on a '16 GT350 Tech Pack car just yesterday driving these:

http://www.dreamgiveaway.com/dg/mustang

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Already considering a few mods.

Removal of the mid-pipe resonators
    Rear seat delete kit from Ford
    Brey-Krause harness bar for five-point belts
    Flat black '65 / '66 style rocker stripes (but without any lettering as that is already on the fenders and those badges have pins... meaning holes in the fender if removed)
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car and I'm super jealous of your garage! How about some more garage pics? What kind of plane is that?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!!

Post Thanks / Like
    More things to add to the modification list - Ford Performance makes air/oil separators (basically fancy OEM looking catch cans for both valve covers) that I just ordered.

Also, a few additional pics....

After getting it polished up and waiting for the new cover so I can get it put away for the winter (we got our first 8" or so of snow yesterday):

And one of the interior - those seats are really narrow with quite a bit of bolster.... going to have to lose a few pounds to fit properly:

Gotta love the snake on the wheel:

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! (I'm looking forward to getting a ride in it!)
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got started on the mods on the GT350. I found a guy who does paint protection film on-site, so he came out to the hangar this past weekend and covered the frontal surfaces, part of the hood, mirrors, behind the front wheels, and the quarters in front of the rear wheels. While he was there, he also applied the satin black rocker stripes - just something to evoke the original paint scheme on the '65 / '66 cars. I also installed the "R" version rear seat delete kit, as there was absolutely no way anyone would ever sit in those tiny seats. And, just for fun, I added Terlingua Racing Team decals to the fenders in a nod to the first GT350 race car to ever turn a wheel in competition on Feb 14, 1965 at Green Valley, TX with Ken Miles at the helm.

Ghost rocker stripes...

Last edited by Gumball; 02-14-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Jealous!

Nice touch with the Terlingua decals. Wonder how many people will get it...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a much better pic of the ghost stripe on the rocker....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, added a little color to the interior by changing the black smooth leather stripe at the top of the wheel to yellow - through the magic of vinyl. The "R" model has red at the top of the wheel as a centering mark, so I thought the yellow would be a nice touch to pull in some color from the Terlingua decals on the fenders.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    More new parts arrived yesterday - bracket for the fire extinguisher and these new coil covers.....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Coil covers and Ford Performance air/oil separators (breather tanks) installed....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Latest mods - upgrading the aero to the R-model splitter and rear wing. My home track is Road America, so this thing can definitely benefit from a little more downforce. I ordered an OEM front splitter from the dealer where I bought the car and that just recently arrived. It's a simple bolt-on, made even easier by the fact that these cars ship with the splitter in a box in the trunk. I'll set the original one aside to collect dust.

The rear wing is a bit more of an issue. Ford recently reduced (!!!) the price to around $8,000, but fortunately there is a company making an exact replacement for R owners who want exposed carbon fiber instead of the black painted version that comes with their car. Still not cheap at $1,800 - but way better than OEM. Since I don't want to drill extra holes in my original trunk, I searched for a non-spoiler lid from any Mustang, since they're all the same as the GT350. I located one not too far from my house in great shape that came off of a poor 2015 GT performance pack (i.e., spoiler delete) that had a track day mishap and ended up being a total write-off. I'll drill it for the replacement wing and then my friend who owns a bodyshop will give it a coat of Shadow Black and clear.

Here's a comparison between the R and non-R splitters....

This is a pic of the carbon R wing that I'l be using - I know, I know... it's a bit "ricer," but Ford claims that it makes quite an improvement when paired with the larger front splitter.

And here's my $350 trunk lid waiting for some extra holes and fresh paint - though I gotta admit that the GT350 would have looked awesome (and would have almost matched my FFR) in Guard Green.

Last edited by Gumball; 03-02-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Something new just arrived for the GT350... and boy are they WIDE.

Aluminum versions of the wheels that come on the GT350R (OEM ones are carbon fiber and around $4k each!!!). These are the same size (19x11 and 19x11.5), offset, and spoke shape, but with just a bit more dish. Going to use R-model replacement tires, though, the Michelin Pilot Cup 2 (305 and 315).

Oh yeah, and these are satin graphite instead of gloss black like the carbon fiber versions.

More pics to come once I get them on the car.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Gumbal,

Wow! That is one Kool with a BIG K ride.

Thanks for sharing,

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered the R-model rear wing, so as soon as I get it and the splitter installed, I'll post pics.

Here's what it will look like, though, with the new splitter and rear wing. DISCLAIMER - This isn't my car; same color, but my wheels will be satin graphite and I have the silver and black non-R badges.

Last edited by Gumball; 03-13-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Down force is a beautiful thing.
    Cheers
    A

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't help treating this thing as though there is "some assembly required." I found out that the R-model specific suspension parts list is pretty small - front and rear coil springs, rear anti-sway bar, and insulators for the bar. So, a quick call to a Ford dealership that is known for awesome pricing on stuff like this and for less than 250 bucks I now have the makings of a fine track car suspension. Just need to add a set of camber plates to ensure that I can get -2 or so camber and I'll be ready to do some wrenching.

Also managed to get a set of the OEM metal stem TPMS for my new wheels for just $20 each from the same place, so it looks like I'm off to Tirerack soon for that new set of Michelin Cup2 tires.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris-

I love all the work on the new Mustang! It really makes an aesthetic improvement, and I bet the handling will be markedly better as well.

You have to love that great pricing from the local dealer. I usually have the opposite type pricing...

Thanks for sharing your efforts on this car; it really looks great!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Big shoes to fill...

Visited Tire Rack in South Bend, IN today (and the Studebaker Museum while I waited) and bought some Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires - 305 / 30 for the fronts and 315 / 30 for the rear.

I love dealing with those guys, because they really understand performance tires. They only charged me $60 for the set of four to mount, balance, and shave ever so slightly to make sure that there was no run-out (i.e., not out-of-round).

I can't believe these will fit under the sheetmetal - gonna tramline like an Amtrak if I use them on the street, for sure.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Did another mod today - added the R-model front splitter. Much deeper than the stock one as shown in the file photos above, but here's my car. Doesn't leave much for ground clearance - especially since it sits so far forward of the axle line - makes deep driveway entrances on crowned roads a bit of an exercise in caution. I have some sacrificial skid dots to add to the bottom, but not sure that I want to add anything that hangs even lower.

Next up is getting the new R-model rear wing - much larger functional airfoil instead of a spoiler - installed on the replacement trunk lid, painted, and installed - that will balance the aero of the splitter.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, this new car is BIG....... and I have to say, little brother is much more fun to drive.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Chris! I'll have to drop by and check it out some time!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like

Slight change in plans.......

Those who've followed this thread know that I was pretty close to making an "R" clone out of my GT350 over the last year. Well, all that was spurred on by the fact that I just couldn't find a reasonable deal on an open allocation for an "R" that I could order the way I wanted - a charcoal magnetic base version, with absolutely no options... no A/C, no radio, no nav, no touch screen, no back-up camera, no sound deadening or trunk upholstery, etc.....

So, the other day a friend from another forum shared that he had a line on an available allocation from a sale that fell through - even better, it's for a March / April build, so just in time to get in under the wire before the federal law mandating backup cameras requires that all remaining "R" versions get the full electronics package.

Well, I jumped on it and it looks like I'll be trading the black one in a few months from now for one that looks like this...........

Last edited by Gumball; 01-31-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweeeeeet!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting on final confirmation of my order - i.e., no VIN or production date yet, but the sales guy and Ford zone rep tell me I'm on-track.

One thing I did recently was update the order to add the stripes. Typically I'm a no-stripe guy, but after seeing the matte black and red stripes in person, I thought they would really make the paint and other red accents jump out.

Here's a pic I found on the 'web that I thought shows the colors well.....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, I also got a new license plate on the way.....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    B e a u t i f u l!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford came through with confirmation of my order - looks like it'll be one of the last R base models (i.e., non A/C, radio delete, etc...) ever built as those are going away due to the federal back-up camera law that finally takes effect on 5/1/18. From now on, all of the remaining R models must have the full electronics package added to them.

Mine will be built sometime in late March or early April and I expect it to arrive at the Florida dealership through whom I ordered it sometime in May - then it's road trip time as I haul the '17 down and bring the new one home.

I'll keep you all posted and will provide pics as soon as available.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    He who dies with the most toys wins the game.

Jealous; You Bet I Am!

Congratulations!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The long awaited upgrade to an R-model is close at hand. It was built at the end of March and just arrived at the dealership yesterday. It's a bit of a drive to get there, but I'll head over soon. In the mean time, here are a couple pics for your enjoyment.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I am drooling looking at this thread. Congrats!
    Aaron

Holley 650 DP / Performer RPM Intake / Twisted Wedge Heads / 347 ci / TKO500 / 3.73 rear gears

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good! I'd love to own one someday as well.
    I take it the dealership will install the front splitter before delivery?
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very cool!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, curiosity is getting to me. I think it is really cool that you are finally getting the exact car that you want. Been there. Not on the same level, but I get it. I am very happy for you and truly hope I will get a ride in this new beast! (Would you like to do that off my calendar or yours???) But I have to ask: what's the difference between the car you're trading in and the R model you're getting? I thought you had modified the "old" one to a place that it was actually better than an R, no? In any event, GOOD FOR YOU!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words, guys - I'm pretty excited to finally making this happen, as I've wanted a base R model since they started offering these things back in 2015. Only problem was that I've been chasing a unicorn. Most dealers who participate in the GT350 program will never see an R allocation and those who do get one usually spec it with the electronics package, instead of ordering the purist version in base form.

To answer a couple of the questions from above.

No, they'll leave the splitter off... it's literally belted into the passenger seat. This will make loading it into the trailer much easier so that I can haul it home.

For Al C - yes, I was trying to make my '17 standard 350 as close in performance to an R as possible (since I couldn't get the real deal), but it was full of compromises. Although I did buy a bunch of the suspension stuff, like the springs and rear sway bar, as well as the aero mods (R splitter and replic wing), and even a set of lighter aluminum wheels that had an R appearance, there were issues. I didn't install the suspension parts, as I learned that the Magneride shocks / struts are different for the R and the computer calibrations are different, too. The replica wing, although a close cousin to the OEM part, didn't have the fit-and-finish that I would have preferred (even after a significant amount of bodywork), and the wheels were a source of concern from a strength and durability perspective, as well as subject to reports from others that there were interference issues with the brake calipers. So, like the suspension parts, the wheels never went on my car. So, all of those parts were sold off.

The base R is really a purist version of the current S550 Mustang. It has all the great parts of the regular GT350, but then adds a bunch more and leaves off some. Although I was able to buy the R splitter for my prior car (and I kept it as a spare), the R comes with a wing produced by Multimatic, of race car and Ford GT fame, so the workmanship and form is outstanding. And, while the engine, trans, and brakes are the same (with the exception of red calipers as opposed to black), there are subtle changes in engine and suspension calibration as well as a slightly revised exhaust system that leaves out the resonators of the standard version. Most importantly, at least to me, is what the base car does without - no stereo system at all - just a big flat blanking plate in its place, no back-up camera, no A/C, no insulation / sound deadening, no auxiliary gauges, etc... just a bare bones, stripper version of a two-seat Mustang. Total weight for the base version should be in the 3600's.... not light by any means, but compared to pony / muscle cars of today, that's pretty good.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and I almost forgot - what really tipped me to just biting the bullet and upgrading to the R was that I received a great price quote on the carbon fiber wheels (!!!) that are OEM on the R from my original dealer and almost pulled the trigger on $10k worth of wheels. When I looked at the math, it just made sense to apply that and my current car as a trade-in and get the real deal. The money I recouped from the sale of all the other parts covered the rest of the difference to do the upgrade, so I think that in the long run... as a collectible and for performance sake.... I'll come out ahead.

Given that in the four model year run so far, Ford has only built around 150 of these stripped-down R models.... and the fact that due to federal regulations that change on 5/1/18 they won't ever make them again (all future R models must have the full electronics pack that adds all of the stripped out items and then some back onto the car just to meet the back-up camera rules).... I think that this was the better choice.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chris "Ferris" Gumball,

https://youtu.be/GwXV7qnWoAg

https://youtu.be/iSjS-iCPeW8

Lock The Garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Chris "Ferris" Gumball,

https://youtu.be/GwXV7qnWoAg

https://youtu.be/iSjS-iCPeW8

Lock The Garage!
    "A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile."

One of my most favorite lines from that movie!!!!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast