BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Selecting Header Company

Post Thanks / Like

Selecting Header Company

I'm at the point of my build where I need to start thinking about headers. I will probably need them by the middle to the end of Dec. I'm running a 351W with Z304 heads. It's a bit tight on the driver side foot box, I'm planning on using one of the header mock up kits. My question, is there any particular header company that any of you would suggest? I've looked at Gas-N-Pipe, GP, and Stainless Steel Headers. Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    GP Headers has the header business for our cars. Sold (?) to them from Stainless Headers. Don't think you'll find them offered by Stainless. I have the GP custom Coyote headers in my current build. They were great to deal with and the parts are beautiful. GP has a fixture they'll send you and then custom make the headers from that. I personally hadn't used that service, but have read several very positive reviews. If you want custom headers, that would appear to be the way to go. I'm on my third set of Gas-N side pipes. Love those and another great company to deal with. But I haven't used their headers.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    GP Headers

I have the Ford Racing Z427 and I have no issues with clearance. I used the header jig kit that GP Headers has available and I was able to place my Gas-N side pipes exactly where I want the and address any clearance issues. Take a few minutes and call them. They already have a template for your setup as is without going through the Hassle of using the jig.

IMG_1224.JPG
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 11-28-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb is right - if you call Stainless they will give you GP's phone number. I went the custom Header mockup route with GP recently and they do very nice quality work and are easy to work with. They nudged me in the custom mockup direction for the 351w based on the different heads that could be used on that engine and the slight variations they see. They sent me the jigs in the photo below and had me mount them and tighten them up with the Sidepipes lined up where I wanted them. This is not an easy one man job...

I first had to set the body on and get it positioned as close to the final position as I could. This included aligning the doors as it impacts the location of the body under the doors and therefore the alignment of the pipes.
    Once the body was where I wanted it, I mounted the jigs and tightened up the bolts to lock in the location for the sidepipes. The bolts and lock washers that they had on the jig had been used a few times and were not exactly smooth in operation. In retrospect, I probably should have replaced them as there was either some movement during shipping or the GP guys did not match the drivers side correctly.

I actually left the body mounted in the exact same position from the time that I mocked up the jigs until the finished headers were delivered and mounted so I could be sure of the accuracy of the header fabrication (took about 8 weeks out of my build activities but I had other things going on too). The location that the headers exit the body was perfect on both sides but the direction that the side pipes follow down the side of the body was about 1/2" off on the passenger side and a little over 2" off on the drivers side. They offered to have me cut the header down the weld where the O2 sensor bung is and then tack it into place and send it back to them to correct it. I was prepared to do that but I decided to try a couple of the wedges first and they lined up perfectly so I'm just going to stick with them.

Here is a shot of the Headers upon delivery:

And here is a shot of the drivers side installed on the car with the misalignment. Note that the sidepipe touches the car and still has a gap at the header.

I would do the same thing again (except for not addressing the operation of the jig bolts) but I would not expect perfection without some effort at the back end.

Hope that helps,
    Richard