Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seat Installation and Angle

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Installation and Angle

Did you angle your seats to be a straight shot to the foot boxes?

Thanks
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    No they are on a very slight angle that almost follows the trans tunnel. Think narrower racing seats like the Kirkey Vintage can be mounted straight. With the stock leather seats needed the back closer to the tunnel so the seat would not interfere with the door latch.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Slightly angled as stated in previous post. Also, very important, do not set the seats until after the body is on. When centered between the seat belt brackets the clearance from the seat outer edge and the body Is pretty tight and you could end up having to relocate them later.

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned above before making the installation permanent you really need to have the body on to determine clearance at the rear cockpit opening and door latches, even with low backs. Mine generally end up angled just a bit same as the steering wheel and shaft:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Make sure the seat angle and location doesn't line your noggin up with the roll bar tube.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    As mentioned above before making the installation permanent you really need to have the body on to determine clearance at the rear cockpit opening and door latches, even with low backs. Mine generally end up angled just a bit same as the steering wheel and shaft:

Cheers,
    Jeff
    A pipe wrench? Must be for the carburetor tuning, eh? Just kidding Jeff.

100_1895 edit.jpg
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    A pipe wrench? Must be for the carburetor tuning, eh? Just kidding Jeff.

100_1895 edit.jpg
    Pedal bending This photo was from when the owner came to get fitted to the car. Like you say "If brute force doesn't work..."

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the Cobra Clubman highbacks from Sube Sports and did not like how the seats looked setting at an angle. So I installed them straight and notched a portion of my doors.

Door Mod.jpg
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple shots of my seat angle with the breeze seat mounts. Not too drastic but gets close to matching the steering wheel angle. May also give you an idea as to how close the seat back gets to the body.

Seat Angle.jpg

Seat Angle_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Pedal bending This photo was from when the owner came to get fitted to the car. Like you say "If brute force doesn't work..."

Jeff
    Jeff,

Is there anywhere that describes your process for "fitting a customer to a car"? For example, if one would want to fit themselves to their own car/the car they are building.

I ask because I am a shorter guy, at 5'4" The funny part is, for as much trouble I get for being short, it has greatly helped me to fit in cars my taller friends can not.

My biggest concern is "fitting" the car to me, but then locking it in to prevent taller folk from driving/buy the car in the future.

Thanks.

Juan Christlieb
    St Louis, MO

Post Thanks / Like
    You effectively have zero choices left to right & not have issues with the door latch. Height & Length are adjustable with seat mounts (Height) & Sliders, Seat Design or both (Length)

If you are shorter than average you will definitely need FFR stock sized seats + sliders if you want anyone else to drive the car. Think you will also want mounts to go on the sliders to raise the height of the seat for good visibility all round.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15