Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Importing Kit - advice asked!

Post Thanks / Like

Importing Kit - advice asked!

Hi, After a 5-week wait, my kit has been approved by Transport Canada. I'm about to drive to Wareham, visit the factory, and drive it back myself in my trailer/pickup.

Do I need to hire a Customs Broker or do I just turn up at the Lewiston Bridge (near Niagara/Buffalo) and pay the HST?

Thanks,

Jonathan
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the webpage with the Canadian import procedure. It mentions that if you pick it up yourself you do not need to go through a customs broker.

Hopefully others will pipe up with actual experience of importing their kits as I am still waiting to purchse mine (I am looking at the Gen III Type 65).

http://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-k...ort-procedure/

I hope this helps a bit.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    I DID NOT go through a custom broker and drove across at Gananoque in 2012. I had the TC letter with me. They didn't look at it. I declared "auto parts". Paid the duty and, "start the car....start the car....Woooo"
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 12-14-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK! So all I need is paperwork and a cheque book! Thanks for the words, and hopefully my "start the car" moment comes soon. I'm hoping to drive this car in 2017 - how crazy am I???

Thanks for the kind replies,

Jonathan
    [email protected]

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have a safe drive down, Jon! We'll see you Monday!
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Courtnie Provencher View Post
    Have a safe drive down, Jon! We'll see you Monday!
    I picked my roadster up a year ago, crossed the border at Niagara Falls. You do not need a broker. Bring your FFR invoice, Transport Canada documentation, etc. They did not even look at my rental truck and trailer, just paid the taxes, duties and was on my way. I ordered the balance of my parts from Whitbys. I live about 45 minutes from the border so I had these parts sent to a storage in Niagara Falls, New York and picked them up there. Huge savings in shipping costs. I have ordered many parts since then and always ship them the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, My experience was exactly the same as Joecobr - other than paying the taxes, brining my kit in was as easy as it could be. My business owns my pick up and 16 foot enclosed trailer. Rick and the guys loaded the body/chassis, and gave me a skid of light boxes to load. I'm in Mississauga, so I['ll be getting the "restricted" parts shipped to Niagara Falls as well - done that many times with Tire Rack and more. Thanks for you help, forum!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Courtnie! Thank you for arranging everything, including an extensive tour.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Can some of you answer this:

Is it still a 5-week wait to get TC approval?
    I sent my papers last week...

Thanks.

François

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks.

François
    As far as I know even though they say 5 weeks they usually are much faster than that as FFR has it all setup with them. Follow what FFR says to do and you should not have any issues. Send ti to the name they supply and as they so and you should be fine.
    18 months ago I received mine just under 3 weeks to my surprise, post how long it takes you once yo get yours. Patience!!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly, when I did mine back in the fall (2018), it was about a week.
    Was quite surprised. I met the Stewart truck with a pickup and trailer on the US side of the border. As mentioned above, when I came across the border they didn't ask to see the Transport Canada paperwork. They only wanted to see the invoice for "car parts" and extracted their couple of pounds of flesh in taxes.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I took a cube van down and picked up all the base kit from FFR, got to the border and was directed to the inspection center by the officer, went in presented all the paperwork which detailed all the parts along with the Transport Canada paperwork, they processed payment and did not even inspect the contents of the van, I just paid the taxes and was on my way. Not sure who your going with for the completion parts, however make sure that YOU DON'T try and bring that in at the same time, thats a big NO NO, that's when you get into troubles as they can say your importing a car and that's a BIG problem! Follow the FFR setup, it works.

I have heard that others had them try to say they could not import a car, however once presented with the paperwork and the TC letter, they got through just fine. I will be watching as I may be doing the 35 truck or possibly their new one in a year or so. Keep us in the loop and Good luck!!
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    If I remember correctly, when I did mine back in the fall (2018), it was about a week.
    Was quite surprised. I met the Stewart truck with a pickup and trailer on the US side of the border. As mentioned above, when I came across the border they didn't ask to see the Transport Canada paperwork. They only wanted to see the invoice for "car parts" and extracted their couple of pounds of flesh in taxes.
    Steve
    How much did it cost to have Stewart deliver at the border? I’m thinking about going to FFR to get my kit but I’d like to know of another option. TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will Stewart deliver to locations in Canada, or do you have to get it from them at the border?

Post Thanks / Like
    No Stewart will not deliver in Canada, I asked. They have a number of convenient locations that they use on the US side of various border crossings across the country. Cost will depend on distance - the closer to F5R the cheaper. To the West Coast I think it was around $2100 US (might have been slightly higher, 2400?). To be honest, I don't want to remember If you don't use Stewart and you do want it delivered in Canada then you're likely going to end up paying the crating fee to F5R on top of the kit and delivery....

Steve

16. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks.

François
    Just received mine in about 9 business days
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drezx6r View Post
    Will Stewart deliver to locations in Canada, or do you have to get it from them at the border?
    If your in southern Ontario and east through Quebec, it's worth spending the 2 days to drive there and back. You can even pickup on a Saturday morning as FFR are typically open. My wife and I left Thursday morning, stayed at the hotel around the corner that night, then had a great breakfast at Cosi (highly recommend!) in the mall across the road from FFR, loaded up with the team there after a quick look around then drove home as soon as it was loaded. Was home in Ottawa by late afternoon! A 16' U-Haul is more than adequate, total cost including fuel and hotel was around $800 CDN.
    21686824_10155771395869732_7285236524044510033_o.jpg
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drezx6r View Post
    We use MC Freight to ship into Canada. Their prices are reasonable, but you will have to pay the $799 USD crating fee at FFR for your kit, and you will have to be able to manage the large 2000 lb crate that arrives at your location. Give them a call.
    Ryan Valin
    Valin's Custom Cars, Inc.

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

20. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Likes Drezx6r liked this post