BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Big and Tall Seats

Post Thanks / Like

Big and Tall Seats

Where can you purchase these seats? Is there only one type of seats or multiples? I have a Mark 3, and am 6'3" tall 225lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine from FFR. I think they were about $500, but don't quote me. Give them a call. There may be other options for the "tall and thin", but for the "any height and full bodied", these are the only good choice i am aware of. There are quite a few options if you are narrow of hip and shoulder. Check out the seats that WarEagleScott put in his car. They may be more to your liking.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    According to Courtney at Factory Five a couple months ago (I think that's about right) they will only be selling the big and tall seat from now on. Apparently the only difference is the seat bottom is a couple inches thinner, and they're making this the standard for all rather than stocking/selling two different versions. Wouldn't hurt to confirm when ordering since they still may have some of the other ones around.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-29-2016 at 06:59 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpawarrior View Post
    Where can you purchase these seats? Is there only one type of seats or multiples? I have a Mark 3, and am 6'3" tall 225lbs.
    I am similar to your build. 6'3 and 215. I have the Kirkey high backs. They are snug on the sides. The ones I have are the ones FFR sells and are 16" wide. I believe kirkey also makes a 17 and 18" width but you would have to purchase those elsewhere. I don't have my body on yet so ultimately don't know how much extra room I will have but the 18" width would be nice if it would fit. (the 16, 17, or 18" is the inner dimension on width not the overall seat width. That is a couple inches wider).
    The high back look is not for everyone. I went with it because I felt the head and neck support in a rear end collision would be marginally better. Kirkey also makes a low back seat. Because of the way the padding is on the regular seats, even the big and talls, the kirkey's will provide you with the most leg room. I sat in both regular seats and the kirkey low backs before ordering and the extra legroom is definitely noticeable and much more comfortable with the Kirkey seat option. (either high or low back)

At your height it is worth it to take a look at all the seat options. If I had it to do again I would probably not order from FFR and get the 17" width from another retailer. In fact I am still considering swapping to these seats: Kirkey 41700 41 Series Pro-Street Drag Racing Aluminum Seat, 17 Inch.
    The high backs from FFR have shoulder bolsters that the one on the outside has a very tight fit to the body. Lots of times you have to bend them in some to make them fit. The Drag seat looks to have the same lower side bolsters to keep you in place and eliminates the shoulder bolsters. I will see how it goes when I put the body on.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've got the big and tall seats in my car and my brother (6'4" @ 230lbs / 36" Inseam / Size 15 Feet ) does not fit well.

He'll be able to ride in the car, but not drive it.

Contact David Hodgkins since he knows how to put big dudes in these little cars.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-29-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I've got the big and tall seats in my car and my brother (6'4" @ 230lbs / 36" Inseam / Size 15 Feet ) does not fit well.

He'll be able to ride in the car, but not drive it.

Contact David Hodgkins since he knows how to put big dudes in these little cars.
    My understanding of the big and tall seats is they only give you about another 1" of leg room over the standard seat. With the kirkeys you sit more down and in the seat than on top of it which makes a pretty large difference.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    My understanding of the big and tall seats is they only give you about another 1" of leg room over the standard seat. With the kirkeys you sit more down and in the seat than on top of it which makes a pretty large difference.
    I Concur & Agree Completely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your input. I might get a pair custom built

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your input. I might get a pair custom built
    You don't need to do that. Get the Kirkey Vintage or intermediates and you will gain ~2" vertical and horizontal:
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...e-class-bucket

Then add the Wilwood adjustable pedals and you will be good to go.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    TPA-

I agree with David H. as well. I have a set of the low back Kirkeys, and they fit great and are quite comfortable. I am not exactly in the best physical shape, way too overweight, and significantly under-tall, yet I fit nicely.

Don't spend all that money to get custom, when these offer excellent options. My $.02.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they really comfortable? They are reasonable priced

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they really comfortable? They are reasonable priced
    I find both the kirkey seat options quite comfortable. Surprisingly comfortable actually. On my high backs I did add a kirkey lumbar support I ordered from Summit for about $15 each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I find both the kirkey seat options quite comfortable. Surprisingly comfortable actually. On my high backs I did add a kirkey lumbar support I ordered from Summit for about $15 each.
    I added 1in. foam under Kirkey cover for fit and increased comfort. Bought mine from Speedway.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    According to Courtney at Factory Five a couple months ago (I think that's about right) they will only be selling the big and tall seat from now on. Apparently the only difference is the seat bottom is a couple inches thinner, and they're making this the standard for all rather than stocking/selling two different versions. Wouldn't hurt to confirm when ordering since they still may have some of the other ones around.
    A little late to the thread but I can confirm this. I just received my kit and had ordered the standard seats with it. When it arrived the seats had a tag on them that said "Black Vinyl Roadster Street Big Tall Seat SKU#16193" Courtney verified that they are only making one standard seat now.

I'm not big or tall at 5'11, 180 but they are much more comfortable than I was expecting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I ordered the kirkey low back seats 17" width and am modifying the side bolsters down to aid in getting out of the car as well as the lower aluminum hump as it interferes with my left leg with clutch depressed. Am going to bolt to the floor and all the way back and use the side kirkey rails to control pitch. I will send pics once complete

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the Kirkey low backs, 18" wide, from Summit. They fit, but because of their width, I was not able to push them back as far as I wanted. Sent them back and got the 17's. They sit back further. My 38" waist fits in fine, but I am going to bend the side bolsters out a bit to make it easier to slide in and out.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I ordered the Kirkey low backs, 18" wide, from Summit. They fit, but because of their width, I was not able to push them back as far as I wanted. Sent them back and got the 17's. They sit back further. My 38" waist fits in fine, but I am going to bend the side bolsters out a bit to make it easier to slide in and out.
    -Steve
    Steve are you to the point that you could sit the 17" in there and post a picture of how much room there is around the sides? I am still considering a possible swap

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have that picture in the next week. I had the fire extinguisher next to the driver seat but moving that and reversing the seat belt bolt to give more equal distribution of room

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    You don't need to do that. Get the Kirkey Vintage or intermediates and you will gain ~2" vertical and horizontal:
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...e-class-bucket

Then add the Wilwood adjustable pedals and you will be good to go.

So, a couple of years later and I am just beginning the process... 6'4" 250# and size 14 foot. I have scoured the forums for info on extra room for us big / tall guys and everyone points back to you. I see the above thread and will take that to heart - have you heard anything new for a MK4? One thread was talking about dropping the foot box down through the floor board? I rode in a standard set up MK4 last weekend as a passenger and barely fit there - no way as a driver. Feel free to pm me....

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the Kirkey high back seat from FFR. I also installed the seat adjuster from FFR. The installation (needed a cross support) jacked the seat up about 2-1/2" up from the floor. The angle of the back of the seat (so it doesn't hit the body at the back lip) makes the bottom of the seat about 3-4" from the back of the cockpit. 3" if you bend the outer shoulder wing inward so it doesn't rub the body near the door. I'm 6' 2" 220 lbs and I CANNOT straighten my right leg out completely, even when pushing the gas pedal to the floor. It's not uncomfortable, just stating.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of thoughts. 1- I dropped the driver floor in my old MkII about 2 inches so it is maybe 1/4 inch above the main 4 in frame tubes. It helps. 2-The kirkey of nearly any of the 3 styles gives you the most room. Look at the 'Shop Drawings' and you can see that the basic seat is the same for the classic and the drag seat. Drag seat adds a headrest to the classic. Used to be the roadrace seat just added shoulder wings to the drag seat but the new 65 series has made the back angle adjustable so I can't say if it is identical or not. 3- Using any of these is still somewhat of a balancing act as far as installation is concerned. The edge of the body behind the seat usually is the limiting factor. You can get a more laid back angle by pulling the base of the seat forward and leaving the back close to the body. Or you can get more legroom by mounting the seat more upright. In any case, these are the thinnest seats you can buy so they offer the most room, and yet they are surprisingly comfortable. The design of having the cover attached w/ snaps makes it very easy to add some foam here and there if you need it. If you really want a classic look get the classic seat and buy or build a headrest that mounts to the roll bar.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Kirkey seat gives way more room but it doesn't have that finished look that I'm sure owners of these cars are after. Once the bolsters are modified those Kirkey seat covers wont fit very well anymore and custom upholstery cost a lot. Unfortunately tall guys will be paying extra to fit in these. Once that custom upholstery is done on those Kirkey seats, they are installed, and you fit its awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the leather seats from FFR $900. I added the Breeze mounting plates that gave it a slight tilt back. They are not installed yet as I'm working on recovering the trans tunnel cover, adding cup holders to it and a polished aluminum trim along the sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6 2 and 220 as well as some have stated. The big and tall seats are great in stock form. If you put a track on them, you are the staring at the windshield frame. Leave them mounted to the floor and they are perfect for tall guys in stock form from ffr. Yes there are only the big and tall seats now available when I bought my kit a year ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    My adult son and I are building our car together. He is 6'4" and husky. His knees were hitting the bottom of the dashboard with the FFR Big and tall seats. Went with the Kirkey Vintage low backs, do not have the classic look but he fits into the car much better (but still not perfect).
    Bob (Building with my son Justin)

MK IV #9040 - Complete kit, IRS, Forte Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Delivered 2/14/17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks -ordered my kit today. Planning on Kirkey seats, Wilwood pedal box, and from other users possibly lowering the pedal box below the floor plate and changing the angle of the seat (floor mounted). Quick disconnect steering wheel and maybe modifying the dash under my knees. Any other ideas???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mdutton11 View Post
    So, a couple of years later and I am just beginning the process... 6'4" 250# and size 14 foot. I have scoured the forums for info on extra room for us big / tall guys and everyone points back to you. I see the above thread and will take that to heart - have you heard anything new for a MK4? One thread was talking about dropping the foot box down through the floor board? I rode in a standard set up MK4 last weekend as a passenger and barely fit there - no way as a driver. Feel free to pm me....
    Hi. I have exactly same question.. more related to foot box. I concerned that my big feet won’t fit...

Post Thanks / Like
    JPT you might want to check out Straversi build. Steve’s done some pretty ingenious and remarkable mods to his floor, foot box, pedals, and seats. He did a really good job.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

29. Thanks JPT_CCod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, great reference...massive amount of info here... I appreciate the pointer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get the car, there is so much that you can do, there is pretty much always a way to get it to work for you. On the footbox portion of your build, you may spend some extra time working on it and getting it right but if you have the wallet for the build, you will have the time and wallet to get your build right. You are certainly asking the right questions but you will just need to be patient and resourceful when it comes to the footbox. You may be pleasantly surprised as to how much some of these setups work right out of the box.

32. Thanks JPT_CCod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more thought I remember from several years ago. To get more legroom someone cut back the body behind the seats. He did it all the way across even though the passenger side didn't need. But, by doing the entire width, it looked absolutely normal. Since there is no 3/4x3/4 tube right there, there is no metal work, just fiberglass work.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

34. Thanks JPT_CCod thanked for this post