I'm in the process of putting together an 818 and am wondering the best ways to spend my money. Having put together a MKIII roadster I know how quickly the cost can rise when adding all of the "must have" options. So far I have stripped down a 2006 donor car and am waiting delivery of the kit. I have also ordered the large brake kit because I have always wanted a car with "super" brakes. Also ordered some race seats with 5 point seat belts because it makes me feel safer in a small car with limited safety features. So with cost of the kit, donor, shipping and other options like the cool steering wheel and shifter, I have already exceeded $25,000.00. And I still need to budget tires, paint or wrapping, powder coating and all of the other nick nacks like fluids, timing belt parts etc. So my question is what additional items should be considered in order to make a really nice performing car. I am worried the performance of the stock engine and trans will not be enough especially given the brake and tire package I have on tap. I am thinking cold air intake, aftermarket clutch and after trimming the wiring harness down will need to have the ecu re flashed. That brings me to a specific option, I Wire wiring harness? This is a $2000.00 plus option but it will sure save a huge amount of time as well as upgrade the ecu and allows for just the electrical options I would desire. I have also been eyeing the cooling system pipes from Breeze because I am not a huge fan of the corrugated pipes that come with the kit. Limited slip differential?
Then the other question that comes to mind, even if I stop at $30,000 to $35,000, but I suspect it will get closer to $40,000, WHY??? Is this car going to be that much fun? I could go and get a used Porsche Cayman for this kind of money. I do absolutely love the build process but question the sanity in my thoughts. I want it to be the best I can build but that almost always means more money. After all was said and done, I could have bought a new Corvette for the money I spent on my roadster. I do love my roadster and I am very proud of the fact that I built it not to mention, in my opinion, it is beautiful. I has also been extremely reliable, with over 30,000 miles, not a single break down and the only tow was due to a flat tier. But there are days after a long ride, I get to thinking a roof and and air conditioner would be nice. That brings me back to the performance of the 818, I love the sound of the roadster. There is nothing like the sound of an American V8 at full song and the feeling of being pushed back in the seat as it effortlessly takes off from a stop and the the soreness in your face muscles due to the massive smile that has been plastered of your face. I suspect the 818 will be a blast to drive and I know it will be great fun to build.
Sorry for the rambling but basically I am asking what options need to be considered, will it be worth it in the end. As always, thanks for your input,

Robert