Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Build your own switchback - turn/running flasher controllers

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Saline, Mi
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should check out McMaster-Carr. It is a US
    company but I checked on couple web sites who members
    live in canada and they got shipments w/o any
    problems. They have EVERYTHING!!! Give them a call to check.
    330-995-5500. Also look at web site.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Frank818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    QC, Canada
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've asked McMaster twice in the past 3 years and they don't deliver to residential addresses outside USA. Only commercials. It's not clear on their website which is why I asked twice, just in case they changed mind.
    But that's ok, I have still some tire repair rubber cement, I'll use that.

    Will start dismentling the Eagle Eyes later this week or next w-e (as soon as I get my new soldering iron). I expect 6 to 10h of work on these.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 GT3582R ~400whp/wtq+
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017

    Bulid time, including registration 3283.5h in 148 work week time and 3.5 years elapsed

  3. #43

    Yes, I love Technology
    aquillen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you make your own PCB using toner transfer process, don't forget to use paint or some app to mirror the image before you print your toner paper. ...

  4. #44

    Yes, I love Technology
    aquillen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are assembling from my pictures and drawings - please take note. Q2 the BS170 transistor comes in different packages. Some have a flat face, round back side (TO-92 case style). Others have a larger flat face and a smaller flat back instead of round. The drawing that shows parts layouts, shows the top looking down and the rounded side of Q2 faces away from Q1 - this is the correct orientation.

    With the round back it is easy to identify the front/back. And the numbers are printed on the flat side. With the large flat and smaller flat back, the numbers may be printed on the back side, which can lead you to install the transistor backward.

    The photograph of my boards shown above are built with the confusing transistor style, with the printing on what would normally be the rounded side the TO92 style case. So my transistor as shown in the photo has the back facing up (with the numbers visible).

    If you have the TO92 style BS170 with a flat on one side only, then you need to mount the transistor with the flat facing down, where you will NOT see the printed info on the part.

    A forum member found this out for us the hard way... I'm so used to these parts it didn't cross my mind to cover this before.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Frank818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    QC, Canada
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    The clearance between the solder points and the inside of the aluminum housing is almost zero
    Mines aren't made of aluminum, they are full plastic, including the inside. I guess I got a different version and that I am immunized against possible shorts.

    Plus, the wire that comes out of the housing is glued with some kind of silicone or black glue that makes the wire very tight in place and won't really move. I know yours do.

    Also the lenses were very glued in place and only way to remove them was with a lot of heat and quite some force with a small flat screwdriver, before it would cool down.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 GT3582R ~400whp/wtq+
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017

    Bulid time, including registration 3283.5h in 148 work week time and 3.5 years elapsed

  6. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

    I just saw your switch back circuit and Im planning to build one, but theres a modification I would like to make. My LED have this built-in controller that when voltage is applied it has this flowing effect, I tried to connect it to my flasher lights but I encounter this problem - it is not syncing.

    So I came up with this idea to hook it up to a constant 12v but the problem is it stays ON. I came up to your design and it looks the perfect circuit for my project but your circuit turns OFF the constant 12v when the flasher is ON.

    Heres what Im planning to change:
    1. Once the flasher turns on the circuit will be activated and it will turn on the LED supplying it constant 12v and vise versa.
    2. I will replace the NPN transistor with PNP (TIP107 transistor)
    3. Move R3 to the ground.

    Heres the circuit diagram
    Switchback circuit mod.jpg

    Please let me know what your thoughts. Im just new to electronics, Im consulting to avoid blowing up something

    Thank you and looking to hear from you soon

    Aries

  7. #47

    Yes, I love Technology
    aquillen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand, you need to apply steady 12V to your lamp module whenever the turn signal is on = flashing. When the turn signal is not on you want 12V turned off. Use this circuit for such function:

    Art Quillen

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much

  9. #49
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    If I understand, you need to apply steady 12V to your lamp module whenever the turn signal is on = flashing. When the turn signal is not on you want 12V turned off. Use this circuit for such function:

    HI me again. I just realise we cannot apply the MOSFET switch in the Negative (-) of the circuit, because it is also connected to the white DRL, which means if the yellow is OFF, the white is also cause the negative is cut by the MOSFET. So I made this circuit, please let me know if this is correct, instead I will use a P channel MOSFET and put it in the constant positive (+) 12V.

    rev circuit.jpg

  10. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arieshton View Post
    HI me again. I just realise we cannot apply the MOSFET switch in the Negative (-) of the circuit, because it is also connected to the white DRL, which means if the yellow is OFF, the white is also cause the negative is cut by the MOSFET. So I made this circuit, please let me know if this is correct, instead I will use a P channel MOSFET and put it in the constant positive (+) 12V.

    rev circuit.jpg
    Can we use a relay instead of MOSFET?

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    307
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is so far beyond my ability to comprehend, my head is spinning. I read the entire post. You electrical guys are amazing! Thank you for the info, even tho I cannot take advantage of it. Isn't it great that we all have different fields of expertise?
    Thank you Aquillen, Frank818, and Frank c5r. Your intelligence is exceeded only by your generosity.

  12. #52

    Yes, I love Technology
    aquillen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lance it is just what a person learns, thankfully we all learn different things. Sharing is the key to a wonderful world.

    About the relay - yes a relay can be inserted, but you need that mosfet transistor because the gate on it does not consume current. We want a transistor that does NOT use current to switch on or off (mosfets transistors are voltage controlled whereas bipolar or "regular transistors" do use current).

    The two resistors and capacitor form a timer circuit so that that the circuit quickly switches state when the turn signal comes on, but holds it's state for a couple seconds after turn signal is turned off (that way blinking state of turn signal does not fool the circuit into changing state until the turn signal is really done blinking - i.e. completely off).

    The mosfet transistor (BS170 or IRF20, etc.) being voltage controlled, does not interfere with the current charging and discharging the capacitor. So the time constant of the R-C (resistor - capacitor) circuit is not modified by the transistor. A relay by itself won't work. You could fiddle with a diode charging a capacitor and turning on a relay with discharge characteristics setup by the capacitor value and relay coil resistance. But you would have a relatively high initial charge current to get the relay on, you need a pretty good size capacitor microfarad wise to keep it on between flash pulses, etc. If you change the relay for any reason and it is a little different coil resistance, your setup changes. So pain in the butt to setup.

    The mosfet is a tough transistor these days, I've used them for many years now in small to complex circuits and up to about 2000 ampere control setups. The only rule is to avoid exceeding voltage spec's on them and of course max current rating. This circuit is smaller than a relay and should work for most people.

    Use this circuit to control a relay directly if you need double pole contacts like a relay can give you. Add protection diode across the relay coil to protect the mosfet.
    Art Quillen

  13. #53
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    Lance it is just what a person learns, thankfully we all learn different things. Sharing is the key to a wonderful world.

    About the relay - yes a relay can be inserted, but you need that mosfet transistor because the gate on it does not consume current. We want a transistor that does NOT use current to switch on or off (mosfets transistors are voltage controlled whereas bipolar or "regular transistors" do use current).

    The two resistors and capacitor form a timer circuit so that that the circuit quickly switches state when the turn signal comes on, but holds it's state for a couple seconds after turn signal is turned off (that way blinking state of turn signal does not fool the circuit into changing state until the turn signal is really done blinking - i.e. completely off).

    The mosfet transistor (BS170 or IRF20, etc.) being voltage controlled, does not interfere with the current charging and discharging the capacitor. So the time constant of the R-C (resistor - capacitor) circuit is not modified by the transistor. A relay by itself won't work. You could fiddle with a diode charging a capacitor and turning on a relay with discharge characteristics setup by the capacitor value and relay coil resistance. But you would have a relatively high initial charge current to get the relay on, you need a pretty good size capacitor microfarad wise to keep it on between flash pulses, etc. If you change the relay for any reason and it is a little different coil resistance, your setup changes. So pain in the butt to setup.

    The mosfet is a tough transistor these days, I've used them for many years now in small to complex circuits and up to about 2000 ampere control setups. The only rule is to avoid exceeding voltage spec's on them and of course max current rating. This circuit is smaller than a relay and should work for most people.

    Use this circuit to control a relay directly if you need double pole contacts like a relay can give you. Add protection diode across the relay coil to protect the mosfet.

    Thanks so much. Based on your comment I created this circuit. Did I got it right?

    circuit with relay.jpg

    Will this relay sufficient?
    Relay SPDT 10A .jpeg

  14. #54

    Yes, I love Technology
    aquillen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both should be fine.
    Art Quillen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Breeze

Visit our community sponsor