Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: California SB100 Title and Registration

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR frame number does not mean anything even if you find it and my guess CHP will not issue the blue one without that frame number since this has to match the documentation.

CHP told me to place the Blue tag in engine bay some where that is not in plan site and you can only find it if you know where it is, but should still be readable, so if this was registered, look for somewhere not in plain sight. it may be dirty and covered after 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the SB100 check list. this is just what I was looking for as I'm ready to order my Type 65 Daytona Coupe from FFR and did not know what the process was for getting it registered here in California your adventure at the DMV dose not surprise me at all. from what I gather from all of your post`s is that I should not even consider applying for an SB100 until my Car is ready to run and drive and I have all my receipts for the major components?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B Campbell View Post
    Thanks for posting the SB100 check list. this is just what I was looking for as I'm ready to order my Type 65 Daytona Coupe from FFR and did not know what the process was for getting it registered here in California your adventure at the DMV dose not surprise me at all. from what I gather from all of your post`s is that I should not even consider applying for an SB100 until my Car is ready to run and drive and I have all my receipts for the major components?
    I would agree with that. I did mine just before the go-kart stage. If you are planning on driving in gel coat for a while then that would be a good time. No big hurry, it seems there are lots of excess SB100 slots these days.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s good to hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    And the DMV was easy on extending the date of temporary tags. I think I drove for most of a year on them.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I am starting my SB process Thursday, fingers crossed everything goes good...
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at San Luis Obispo dmv 2/2/21 for my GTM SB100 registration. Took an hour. They gave me two permits, one to go to CHP for vin issuance and one to go to BAR for smog. No permit for brakes/lights check (?). They did not give a sequence number and said that they would not do that until CHP issued a vin #. Due to Covid the CHP in my area wouldn't give me an appointment to inspect and issue a vin until today.
    After an hour or so the vin # was assigned. They used the serial # that appears on the FFR tag/manufacturers certificate of origin.

BAR was then contacted to make an appointment for smog. They said I had to go back to dmv and get the sequence number now that I had a serial number assigned.
    So, a couple of variances from what others have experienced but all in all not too bad.

For the initial dmv appointment have all of your documents ready and be prepared to show what you have and have not paid for sales tax. You will pay it at that time (FFR didn't charge sales tax so I had to pay the tax on the kit at the time of the initial appointment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dlud View Post
    I was at San Luis Obispo dmv 2/2/21 for my GTM SB100 registration. Took an hour. They gave me two permits, one to go to CHP for vin issuance and one to go to BAR for smog. No permit for brakes/lights check (?). They did not give a sequence number and said that they would not do that until CHP issued a vin #. Due to Covid the CHP in my area wouldn't give me an appointment to inspect and issue a vin until today.
    After an hour or so the vin # was assigned. They used the serial # that appears on the FFR tag/manufacturers certificate of origin.

BAR was then contacted to make an appointment for smog. They said I had to go back to dmv and get the sequence number now that I had a serial number assigned.
    So, a couple of variances from what others have experienced but all in all not too bad.

For the initial dmv appointment have all of your documents ready and be prepared to show what you have and have not paid for sales tax. You will pay it at that time (FFR didn't charge sales tax so I had to pay the tax on the kit at the time of the initial appointment.
    Thanks for that info, I have all my engine, trans, and FFR purchase receipts. Did you actually get assigned a SB #? if yes where are they at right now? I know they only allow 500 each year. I can't believe with all the superformance, backdraft, etc. cars out there they don't fill up each year. Apparently they have not hit 500 for quite awhile...glad I am starting mine this week early in the year, figured I would get it locked in.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Thanks for that info, I have all my engine, trans, and FFR purchase receipts. Did you actually get assigned a SB #? if yes where are they at right now? I know they only allow 500 each year. I can't believe with all the superformance, backdraft, etc. cars out there they don't fill up each year. Apparently they have not hit 500 for quite awhile...glad I am starting mine this week early in the year, figured I would get it locked in.
    Not yet. I'm heading down to dmv this morning to get the sequence #. My understanding is the same as yours: they generally don't fill up. I seem to recall that they have never maxed out except for perhaps the first year or so. Not sure where that information came from however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going through this process myself.

Went to dmv with initial documents ready. Paid some sales tax. They gave me Reg 124 vin assignment form to take to chp.

Got vin assignment (took about a month) Got brake/light inspection and went back to dmv.

dmv issued sb100 certificate number. Should be lots left. Waited about 8 weeks for the sb100 certificate to come in the mail. Bar would not inspect car until I had certificate in hand.

Got certificate and called bar. Because of covid they now do a virtual inspection before you can get the final inspection. I had to create PDF files for all receipts, all forms used, a statement of facts, pictures of the car during the build process to prove that I built a car from a kit and email them to bar. They looked at all receipts including labor and determined I needed to pay more sales tax. Bar said we know that it costs 60k to 65k to build one of these cars so I owed more sales tax. Bar made me go back to dmv to pay additional sales tax before I could schedule final inspection. This virtual process took just over a month to get approval.

Called bar and have final inspection next week.

I'm exhausted and frustrated. I hope final goes well with no more surprises.

Hope this recap helps.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    8 weeks to get the certificate # to go to BAR?? Dang I guess I need to get this started sooner than I thought. So did you get 3 moving permits good for 60 days, which expired while you were waiting for the sb100 certificate or did they give you something different?

Post Thanks / Like
    On Reg 343, what does the DMV recommend entering for vehicle make, year model, model/series, and body type? Do you enter Factory five 1965 roadster, or something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. After getting my serial # yesterday (CHP used the FFR #), I returned to dmv to get my sequence # so I could make my BAR appointment. Dmv says you need the brake/lights inspection first. (First I head of that). So...I received two new drive permits: one to go to get the brakes/lights inspected and one for BAR. So, it looks like: brakes/lights inspected; return to dmv for sequence #; deal with BAR, return to dmv for, hopefully the last time.
    Regarding the sales taxes, the forms only require itemization of the "major component parts." Surprising that they would force you to come up with more receipts.
    I'm glad I went to law school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    On Reg 343, what does the DMV recommend entering for vehicle make, year model, model/series, and body type? Do you enter Factory five 1965 roadster, or something else?
    Not sure what dmv requires. I listed Factory Five as the make, GTM as model, body type as coupe. I used 1964 as the year. DMV didn't quibble with me at our first visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    Going through this process myself.

Went to dmv with initial documents ready. Paid some sales tax. They gave me Reg 124 vin assignment form to take to chp.

Got vin assignment (took about a month) Got brake/light inspection and went back to dmv.

dmv issued sb100 certificate number. Should be lots left. Waited about 8 weeks for the sb100 certificate to come in the mail. Bar would not inspect car until I had certificate in hand.

Got certificate and called bar. Because of covid they now do a virtual inspection before you can get the final inspection. I had to create PDF files for all receipts, all forms used, a statement of facts, pictures of the car during the build process to prove that I built a car from a kit and email them to bar. They looked at all receipts including labor and determined I needed to pay more sales tax. Bar said we know that it costs 60k to 65k to build one of these cars so I owed more sales tax. Bar made me go back to dmv to pay additional sales tax before I could schedule final inspection. This virtual process took just over a month to get approval.

Called bar and have final inspection next week.

I'm exhausted and frustrated. I hope final goes well with no more surprises.

Hope this recap helps.
    What engine do you have? I was told you must have enclosed PCV system to pass BAR inspection. Thanks for posting this up, helpful to hear all different experiences. It will all be worth it when your done jumping through the hoops.

Post Thanks / Like
    They initially gave me the 2 temp permits. I think because of covid and everything being so slow and because I was very selective on when I would go and stand in line for an hour at dmv, they gave me a 2 or 3 month temp registration and when that one ran out they gave me another 2 or 3 month temp.

On Reg 343 the virtual inspection person made me change to vehicle make = SPCNS. Year Model = 2020. Model = MK4 Roadster. Body type = Roadster, 2 Door

I have a Ford Performance 427W. I have a breather from valve cover to bottom of air cleaner base and the other valve cover has a PCV valve going to carb. We will see how it goes next week with bar.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    They initially gave me the 2 temp permits. I think because of covid and everything being so slow and because I was very selective on when I would go and stand in line for an hour at dmv, they gave me a 2 or 3 month temp registration and when that one ran out they gave me another 2 or 3 month temp.

On Reg 343 the virtual inspection person made me change to vehicle make = SPCNS. Year Model = 2020. Model = MK4 Roadster. Body type = Roadster, 2 Door

I have a Ford Performance 427W. I have a breather from valve cover to bottom of air cleaner base and the other valve cover has a PCV valve going to carb. We will see how it goes next week with bar.
    Once they issue you the temp permit you can legally drive the car? Do they issue you a temp license plate or a sticker for the windshield?

Post Thanks / Like
    If they will give you a temp permit for 1/2/3 months you can drive every day. It's a red piece of paper that you can tape to windshield.

19. Thanks Fman thanked for this post
    Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What engine do you have? I was told you must have enclosed PCV system to pass BAR inspection. Thanks for posting this up, helpful to hear all different experiences. It will all be worth it when your done jumping through the hoops.
    I have a LS6. It has all the emission stuff on it except egr so it should be an easy pass (gulp) with BAR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dmv gave me one day permits that really only allow driving to/from the designated destination. Each of the permits I have are specific, i.e., CHP, brake/lights, BAR. THe permits are good for one day and are only valid for sixty days from date of issuance.

Post Thanks / Like

California DMV and SB100 Experience

It has taken me 5 years to complete building my Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe. On this build I decided to complicate my work by:
    1. Performing my own body work and paint.
    2. Installing of a tilt steering column. This required a complete redesign of the dashboard to accommodate the tilt column.
    3. Installing door poppers w/ remote control.
    4. Installing a touch screen monitor with phone link to my cell phone and a backup camera
    5. Convert all lighting to LED.
    The only work I farmed out was:
    1. Application of Ceramic Film to Hatch Glass and Windshield.
    2. Installation of windshield w/o rubber trim.
    3. Alignment of front and rear wheels.
    4. Engine build, I purchased a 347 Stroker from the Engine Factory (equipped with Atomic EFI, roller valve train, March Serpentine Pulley system).

i just completed the California Title and Registration process for this project. I thought I would share my experience. The process was started on Dec 10, 2020 and fully completed on March 10, 2021. My SB100 Certificate Number (2020180) was assigned on Dec 30, 2020. the chronology of my experience follows.

1. 12/10/2020: Submitted the following to DMV:
      1. Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
      2. Statement of Construction (REG 5036)
      3. Manufacturer Statement of Origin from Factory Five Racing;
        Receipts for Major Components (Factory Five Racing, Engine Factory, Tremec TKO600 Transmission, Amazon (for the tires)). DMV fees and use tax are based on the total of these values.
      4. A temporary “non-certified” Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) was created
      5. An SB100 Certificate of Sequence was not issued because a certified VIN is required.

2. 12/11/2020: Obtained insurance based on the FFR assigned Serial Number.
    3. 12/18/2020:
      1. Obtained Brake and Lamp Inspection Certificates
        For reference I studied the STATE OF CALIFORNIA HANDBOOK FOR LAMP ADJUSTERS AND STATIONS (Lighting requirements are based on the year of the car body, 1965 Daytona Coupe) to ensure my car would pass.
      2. Drove to DMV to present Brake and Lamp Inspection Certificates. At this visit I was given a 60 day Temporary Operating Permit.

4. 12/20/2020: Emailed the East Sacramento California Highway Patrol requesting an appointment for FFR Serial Number Verification and Vehicle Number Assignment (VIN).
    5. 12/30/2020:
      1. Met with CHP Officer at the East Sacramento California Highway Patrol. Inspection was completed and they attached a VIN plate to the chassis. They completed DMV Reg 124 for me to present to the DMV.
      2. Drove to DMV and presented the completed CHP Inspection Report (DMV Reg 124). DMV updated paperwork to reflect new “certified” VIN. At this visit I was assigned an SB100 Sequence Certificate No. 2020180.
      3. Called the BAR Referee (Ask the Ref > Home) to make an appointment. Was advised they wouldn’t make an appointment until I received the actual SB100 Sequent Certificate from the DMV.
      4. Contacted my insurance company to change coverage from the FFR Serial Number to the VIN.

6. 01/19/2021: Received in the mail the SPCNS CERTIFICATE OF SEQUENCE 2020180
    7. 01/20/2021: Called the BAR Referee (800-622-7733) to schedule an appointment for inspection. The BAR requires a telephone appointment prior to station visit to ensure all paperwork is in order. Appt. was scheduled for Feb 8 at 7:10AM.
    8. 02/08/2021: Telephone appointment with BAR Referee. He requested scanned copies of all documents submitted to the DMV, pictures of the car and in particular the engine bay showing a closed loop PCV system. All docs and pics were emailed to the Referee.
    9. 02/11/2021: Received email from the BAR Referee informing me I was cleared to schedule and appointment with the BAR. Called the BAR and made an inspection appointment for Feb 18, 2021.
    10. 02/18/2021: Appointment with BAR Referee, no issues and received SB100 Certificate. The inspector was gracious enough to allow me to attach the certificate in a location of my choosing.
    11. 02/22/2021: Drove to DMV office to complete the registration process. Received my license plates and was told the Title and Registration documents would be mailed.
    12. 03/10/2021: Received Title and Registration docs in the mail. This process is now complete. It took 3 months from start to finish and 4 visits to the DMV.

DSC_3470.jpgDSC_3479.jpgIMG_20201209_131219688_HDR.jpgDSC_3391.jpgIMG_20201209_132605071_HDR.jpgDSC_3387.jpgDSC_3480.jpgDSC_3398.jpg
    Last edited by Ron J; 03-10-2021 at 05:59 PM.

23. Likes DSR-3, dlud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great write-up. Interesting that a temporary registration is available after the brake/light inspection. That would be helpful as the sixty day one use permits may not be sufficient to get the job done requiring yet more visits to the dmv.
    I started the process on 2/2; obtained my serial number on 3/8, will have brake/light inspection next week then back to dmv to obtain the sequence # and then start the BAR process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write-up. Interesting that a temporary registration is available after the brake/light inspection. That would be helpful as the sixty day one use permits may not be sufficient to get the job done requiring yet more visits to the dmv.
    I started the process on 2/2; obtained my serial number on 3/8, will have brake/light inspection next week then back to dmv to obtain the sequence # and then start the BAR process.
    the DMV wouldn't grant a Temporary Operating Permit until brakes and lamps were inspected. I was told by the DMV personnel they wanted the brakes and lamps inspected before allowing the car on the highway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always amazes me how different the process works depending on where you are in the state. I sailed through the process with Placerville DMV and completed it in 3-4 weeks. That said, it was June 2019, no Covid, and before they started charging labor hours (at least they didn't charge me - I don't know about others at this time).

Fman, you got your answer on the sequence number. Ron got his at the end of December, and it was only #180.

- m
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

27. Thanks Fman thanked for this post
    Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huh. And I've now received four one day permits without a brake/light inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went down today and started my SB 100 process. Got there at 7:55am and they open at 8. Line was around the building... I just had the mindset I was going to spend a lot of time at the DMV today. It took me about one hour to make it to a window inside. The first three people I spoke with had no idea what the SB 100 process even was... deer in the headlights... I thought ok... have a good attitude and keep smiling. So finally employee number four was a winner. Thank goodness because I was about to pack up and head to another DMV. This guy knew about the process and was able to get me going. We went through all the receipts, car value, made copies of everything and I wrote the DMV a big fat check. I got a 60 day temporary permit to drive the car. I don't officially have a VIN number until I get the CHP inspection done. I have appointment with the CHP on April 15 to have the VIN inspection done, then I head back to the DMV and they will enter the VIN and also assign me my SB number. From there I need to get the brake and light inspection done and make appointment with the BAR. The BAR wont allow you to make appointment until you have your SB number.

It took about three hours, some patience but overall not too bad of experience. One hoop down a three more to jump through to become registered. I was also able to secure my Legacy plate as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote the DMV a big fat check.
    What is the fee? % of receipts?
    Matt

FFR Complete Kit, Coyote, Tremec TKX, 3.73 IRS, power steering, 18" Halibrands, Wilwood brakes, Gas-N pipes + header, Viking blue color
    Roadster Build Time Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richtersand View Post
    What is the fee? % of receipts?
    Whatever sales tax you have not paid on your receipts. I had already paid taxes on my engine and transmission, my check was due for the FFR receipt. They also hit you with car registration and other fees.

The total check was $2,896

CURR RF $61
    CURR CHP $28
    CURR VLF $310
    CURR FID $1
    CURR AIR QLT $6
    ALT FUEL RF $3
    TIF $165
    USE TAX $2320
    RLP FEE $1

Lots of sunshine taxes in there

Post Thanks / Like
    I went down today and started my SB 100 process. Got there at 7:55am and they open at 8. Line was around the building... I just had the mindset I was going to spend a lot of time at the DMV today. It took me about one hour to make it to a window inside. The first three people I spoke with had no idea what the SB 100 process even was... deer in the headlights... I thought ok... have a good attitude and keep smiling. So finally employee number four was a winner. Thank goodness because I was about to pack up and head to another DMV. This guy knew about the process and was able to get me going. We went through all the receipts, car value, made copies of everything and I wrote the DMV a big fat check. I got a 60 day temporary permit to drive the car. I don't officially have a VIN number until I get the CHP inspection done. I have appointment with the CHP on April 15 to have the VIN inspection done, then I head back to the DMV and they will enter the VIN and also assign me my SB number. From there I need to get the brake and light inspection done and make appointment with the BAR. The BAR wont allow you to make appointment until you have your SB number.

It took about three hours, some patience but overall not too bad of experience. One hoop down a three more to jump through to become registered. I was also able to secure my Legacy plate as well.
    I would get the brake/light inspection before you go back to dmv. I just went through this and dmv would not issue a sequence # until that is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get the brake/light inspection before you go back to dmv. I just went through this and dmv would not issue a sequence # until that is done.
    Thanks I will do that, how was it? Simple brake, tail, hazards, etc...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I will do that, how was it? Simple brake, tail, hazards, etc...?
    My inspection is next week. From what I can tell there is some variance among inspection stations in terms of the detail: https://www.ffcars.com/threads/q-wha...ection.156016/

Post Thanks / Like
    The tail light inspection for my car was pretty simple, about 30 mins. They adjusted the head light for an additional fee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shop around for a reasonable inspection station. Some are way overpriced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok my turn, I checked in today and paid my fees. I was thiiiiis close to getting a temp operating permit but against my suggestion they called Sacramento to get a sequence number, which led to them tossing that operating permit they had nicely prepared for me. Oh well, off to brake and light and chp inspection

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    Ok my turn, I checked in today and paid my fees. I was thiiiiis close to getting a temp operating permit but against my suggestion they called Sacramento to get a sequence number, which led to them tossing that operating permit they had nicely prepared for me. Oh well, off to brake and light and chp inspection
    Crazy they also called for a sequence number for me and then handed me a 60 day driving permit that can easily be extended. Seems like there is no consistency with this process.

How do they expect you to legally get to all the inspections? How far out was your CHP inspection? Earliest I could get was April 15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy they also called for a sequence number for me and then handed me a 60 day driving permit that can easily be extended. Seems like there is no consistency with this process.

How do they expect you to legally get to all the inspections? How far out was your CHP inspection? Earliest I could get was April 15.
    I got a moving permit so I guess the theory is that you get a brake and light inspection and then get the operating permit. My chp appointment is April 8

Post Thanks / Like

I know some have had to return to dmv to get new permits when the earlier ones expired before the inspection. Fortunately I was able to get my CHP inspection within 5 weeks of my initial dmv visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was anyone required to have a brake fluid level light, e-brake set light, or reflectors other than those standard in/on the brake light housing? I see it also says daytime running lights which I have, but says they should only be on at night when parked

Post Thanks / Like
    None of the above for me, but I did get 3 different SB100 numbers...
    *Also never got asked about a windshield wiper (that one IS in the rules I think).

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading the brake rulebook it looks like the brake fluid level and e-brake lights shouldnt be required unless equipped on the original cars (doubtful, but I have no idea). Reflectors I have not seen a single car in here within the US with reflectors so I cant imagine that one being required either but it would be just my luck.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast