Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California SB100 Title and Registration

Post Thanks / Like
    I pasted the final BAR inspection today. All they checked today was PCV closed system. Breather to air cleaner and PCV to carb. I didn't have to show them any paper word. They collect all of that during the virtual inspection. Final DMV visit tomorrow or Friday. I have none of the above. No windshield wipers. They didn't check for backup lights. None of the inspections checked for a functioning parking/emergency brake.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

2. Likes Fman, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    Was anyone required to have a brake fluid level light, e-brake set light, or reflectors other than those standard in/on the brake light housing? I see it also says daytime running lights which I have, but says they should only be on at night when parked
    The brake and light inspector asked me about the parking brake light. Since I installed an electric actuator, I had already designed and wired one in. He did want to see it work. No questions on wipers or reflectors from anybody.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if Superformance, Backdraft and Hillbank use SB 100 slots when they sell a car and need to register it? I just cant believe in CA there are not 500 of these taken up each year with all the kit cars coming out and home builds as well.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    https://asktheref.org/Services/Unusual-Vehicles

Perhaps those companies don't qualify for SB100 as they ARE building vehicles for resale ?
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    https://asktheref.org/Services/Unusual-Vehicles

Perhaps those companies don't qualify for SB100 as they ARE building vehicles for resale ?
    They do use SB100 numbers. Seems like as far as the law is concerned those cars are no different than having someone build an FFR for you, there is some kind of key that they dont bill you on one receipt for the whole thing, someone else has to do some of the work I guess.
    Last edited by Hoooper; 03-18-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having some difficulty in finding a brake/lighting inspector in the central coast area that has experience inspecting Specially Constructed Vehicles. Has anyone had a brake/lighting inspection anywhere near the central coast?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dlud View Post
    I'm having some difficulty in finding a brake/lighting inspector in the central coast area that has experience inspecting Specially Constructed Vehicles. Has anyone had a brake/lighting inspection anywhere near the central coast?
    I had a tough time just searching online, like the DMV suggests, and I eventually found this BAR site that can search by area https://www.bar.ca.gov/services/ard/search.aspx. I would expect you will have to travel a bit to find a place given where you live, my town of 60k people only has 1 shop that is certified

Post Thanks / Like
    I went on the DMV site, and there's a way to search for certified Brake & Light inspection stations by city, I think. From there just start contacting shops till you find one that can take care of it. I got lucky and found one about 5 miles from my house. Going there Friday.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, scratch that. It wasn't on the DMV site that I found them. I did a search for DMV certified brake & light inspection stations. As a note, if you can't find one within a reasonable distance, you can have any brake & light shop fill out a form 248? stating that the brakes and lights are operating correctly, and that will be accepted. Sorry for the confusion, and I didn't write down the number of the form, but follow the path on the dmv site to the SPCN section of registration, and you'll find it there.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    OK, scratch that. It wasn't on the DMV site that I found them. I did a search for DMV certified brake & light inspection stations. As a note, if you can't find one within a reasonable distance, you can have any brake & light shop fill out a form 248? stating that the brakes and lights are operating correctly, and that will be accepted. Sorry for the confusion, and I didn't write down the number of the form, but follow the path on the dmv site to the SPCN section of registration, and you'll find it there.
    I have been using the dmv list of shops, working my way down from closest to most distant. I think I'm on number 6 and have an appointment for Monday so fingers are crossed. The State of California Handbook for Brake Adjusters and Handbook for Light Adjusters (there are two different handbooks) are a must read. Both have sections specifically dealing with Specially Constructed Vehicles and outlining the details of the inspections for those vehicles. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Brake_Adjuster_Handbook.pdf; https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Lamp_Handbook_9.3.15.pdf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake and light inspection completed today. Highly recommend ultimate auto care in Santa Rosa if you're in the area, made it real quick and easy for me.

Edit: forgot to add, I got a temp permit good through end of July (128 days). It seems they just give you whatever length permit they feel like.
    Last edited by Hoooper; 03-29-2021 at 10:02 AM.

13. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brake and light inspection completed today at Daves Automotive, San Luis Obispo. Nice guys, small shop. Went to dmv, obtained temporary permit for three months and a sequence #. My sequence # is 2021 053. So, unless they are issuing numbers out of order, I wouldn't be too worried about that issue for the foreseeable future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got #058 today. Definitely seems like no rush on these this year. CHP gave me grief about not having wipers but ultimately gave me the paperwork and told me to get wipers on it. Weird since nobody else seems to need wipers

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want something to really confuse you, I started the registration process back in mid March. Was at DMV on 4/2, after brake & light and CHP inspections, and was issued #504! Not sure how I ended up with a number higher than 500, but I had the girl confirm the number when she gave it to me. As far as I had always read over the years, the numbers are not given out in sequential order, more of a random crap shoot. I guess I'll have to wait for the certificate from Sac DMV to confirm the number. Just happy that after 8+ years I'll finally have plates. Also as a note, no windshield wipers, and no one has made mention of it so far.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    If you want something to really confuse you, I started the registration process back in mid March. Was at DMV on 4/2, after brake & light and CHP inspections, and was issued #504! Not sure how I ended up with a number higher than 500, but I had the girl confirm the number when she gave it to me. As far as I had always read over the years, the numbers are not given out in sequential order, more of a random crap shoot. I guess I'll have to wait for the certificate from Sac DMV to confirm the number. Just happy that after 8+ years I'll finally have plates. Also as a note, no windshield wipers, and no one has made mention of it so far.
    That is confusing as if it really was #504 you would think that they wouldn't have issued it as they would have maxed out the allotment for the year. Go figure. On a side note, I do have wipers and best I can tell no one ever checked for that at either CHP or brake and light.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is confusing as if it really was #504 you would think that they wouldn't have issued it as they would have maxed out the allotment for the year. Go figure. On a side note, I do have wipers and best I can tell no one ever checked for that at either CHP or brake and light.
    Yeah most around here don't have wipers since, let's be honest, it never rains anyway and it certainly doesn't rain unexpectedly. It's in the chp handbook to check for it though. While I was in the office I heard the other officers convincing the officer doing my inspection to just let me have it lol. They were saying something about if I don't want them why should they care. Something i can definitely agree with

Post Thanks / Like
    I got 3 different SB100 numbers for my 1 car... I hope they make spares!
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    I got 3 different SB100 numbers for my 1 car... I hope they make spares!
    How did that come about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only California would have a 26 page book on adjusting headlights. Guys I feel for ya. I can't believe all the nonsense you have to deal with to get your cars registered and on the road. I thought Maryland was bad. It's a walk in the park compared to CA.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the peeps who have been the SB100 I have a question hoping to get some help on... I have visited the DMV paid my reg fees and got my sequence number, brake and light inspection done, visiting CHP April 15 for VIN verification. After CHP is done, do I need to return to DMV to get my SB # before I can contact the BAR for the smog inspection? I have been told the BAR will not allow you to make appointment until you have SB # assigned from the DMV? Trying to get clarification on the remaining process.

Thanks...
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    For the peeps who have been the SB100 I have a question hoping to get some help on... I have visited the DMV paid my reg fees and got my sequence number, brake and light inspection done, visiting CHP April 15 for VIN verification. After CHP is done, do I need to return to DMV to get my SB # before I can contact the BAR for the smog inspection? I have been told the BAR will not allow you to make appointment until you have SB # assigned from the DMV? Trying to get clarification on the remaining process.

Thanks...
    If you got your sequence number then no, thats the SB100#. Its should be 2021xxx. If you have one of those you are set to get the BAR appointment. If you dont, then you need to go back to the DMV after your CHP inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did that come about?
    One at the initial DMV appointment- per he guides "don't leave without it".
    When the mail copy arrived 3 weeks later, it was different.
    When another mail copy was received for no reason, it was #3 and I used it.

re. California v. Maryland; I don't know what your total requirements are, but the headlight inspection took <2 minutes (and I didn't even read the book!). However, we don't have smog equipment (ex PCV), OBD port, or smog test requirements! Not that bad...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just came across this document again. Kind of late in this thread, but maybe helpful.

SB100_Registration-page-001.jpg
    SB100_Registration-page-002.jpg
    SB100_Registration-page-003.jpg
    SB100_Registration-page-004.jpg

26. Likes dlud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fman hope this helps.

I just finished the sb100 process and are now street legal finally.

I think you should:

- get brake light inspection and vin# assignment by chp. Then go to dmv. If you already got your verbal sequence number without going to CHP first that means that they are using the Factory Five vin#. That creates a problem if the CHP requires that you use the CHP California assigned number that they attach a blue plate on your car. Some CHP officers will use the Factory Five vin# and some won't. If you have a problem with that let me know and I can tell you what to do next.
    - they will start the sb100 process. Ask them for your sb100 sequence number. I think they have to call sacramento to get it. But the verbal sequence number does do you any good because Bar requires the actual certificate that gets mailed to you.
    - wait for sb100 sequence number certificate to come in the mail.
    - call Bar and they will walk you through what's required for a Virtual Appointment. I created PDF files and emailed all DMV forms, the sequence number certificate, all receipts for kit, engine, trans, everything you spent money on and labor costs so that they can determine the value of your car that you will have to pay tax on. They also wanted progress pictures during the build to prove that you actually built it.
    - If the fees you already paid match the value determined from the virtual inspection you are okay. If not you have to go back to DMV to pay additional fees.
    - after you pass the virtual inspection and all fees paid then you call Bar for an on-site inspsection. All they looked at was the closed ventilation system. Valve cover breather to air cleaner and pcv valve to carb. They will slap a sticker on your car.
    - Then for the last time back to DMV for your plates and registration.

SIMPLE right?

IMG_1438.jpeg
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

28. Likes dlud, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long was everyones wait between verbal SB100 # at the DMV and receiving the actual certificate in the mail?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was about 8 weeks. Maybe a little faster now that covid seems like it is winding down a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to CHP today and they assigned me my CA VIN, stamped alum panel under my dash and then I hit the DMV and they officially gave me my sequence number which is 2021064, a friend of mine went after me and got 65. So they must be at #65 for the SB 100 slots right now. Just waiting for the sequence number to arrive in the mail now and then I can schedule my smog inspection with BAR and get my plates. I did get a temporary driving permit until August 1st so that should let me take the car for a few burns every now and then

32. Likes dlud, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! See you at C&C this Saturday? :-)
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

34. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feelin’ your pride man. Beautiful job. The hard part is done, now go enjoy it!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

36. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to CHP today and they assigned me my CA VIN, stamped alum panel under my dash and then I hit the DMV and they officially gave me my sequence number which is 2021064, a friend of mine went after me and got 65. So they must be at #65 for the SB 100 slots right now. Just waiting for the sequence number to arrive in the mail now and then I can schedule my smog inspection with BAR and get my plates. I did get a temporary driving permit until August 1st so that should let me take the car for a few burns every now and then
    I'm interested to know how long it takes for dmv-Sacramento to issue the certificate with the sequence number. My local dmv provided my sequence number on March 29 and I haven't received the certificate yet which will allow scheduling the smog certification with BAR. So, for anyone who has received a sequence number in the past few months it would help to know how long it has taken to receive the certificate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested to know how long it takes for dmv-Sacramento to issue the certificate with the sequence number. My local dmv provided my sequence number on March 29 and I haven't received the certificate yet which will allow scheduling the smog certification with BAR. So, for anyone who has received a sequence number in the past few months it would help to know how long it has taken to receive the certificate.
    Great question, they told me 3-4 weeks. Did you get a temp driving permit? I have a temp permit to drive the car until Aug 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great question, they told me 3-4 weeks. Did you get a temp driving permit? I have a temp permit to drive the car until Aug 1.
    Yes...90 day permit. Hopefully I'll be able to schedule and complete the BAR inspection within that time frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a couple years ago, but mine took all of the 3 weeks from the DMV/verbal date. I made my CHP appointment when I got the verbal, and when I showed up to CHP with a different SB100 number they didn't care. They did a pretty minimal inspection at CHP.

The biggest obstacle in my path was the Sacramento BAR. The local guy was easy to work with, and had done a number of kits. Sacramento kept pushing him for more; more proof that I built it, questions on records, etc. Then, they informed me that I had to claim a cost for "labor"- huh? That meant I had to go back to the DMV and pay more tax too...

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished registration a couple of weeks ago. It took about 8 weeks for my sb100 certificate to arrive in the mail. And yes BAR now does a virtual inspection. They want progress pictures of your build to prove you built it they want all receipts estimated labor cost. BAR told me they know how much money it costs to build one of these cars and that is what they are looking for, more fees and taxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    I finished registration a couple of weeks ago. It took about 8 weeks for my sb100 certificate to arrive in the mail. And yes BAR now does a virtual inspection. They want progress pictures of your build to prove you built it they want all receipts estimated labor cost. BAR told me they know how much money it costs to build one of these cars and that is what they are looking for, more fees and taxes.
    What did you tell them for labor costs? I paid all my taxes on engine, trans, kit cost, etc... when I started the registration process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    This is part of the reason I am doing my registration as partially completed as possible. They know it takes 40-50k to build one of these nice with paint, but I am hoping if I show up with one that looks like it was built in the hood on cinder blocks they wont have the same cost expectations . I did declare something like 100 hours at minimum wage for the labor cost at my first DMV inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t document the hours estimate. I purchased the car from someone that started the build so I just added enough $ for labor to make the value of the car equal to resale value.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    does the inspection check for clutch/starter engagement? I see videos like this all the time where the guy is outside his car and flips his key, or in this case pushes a button - and the car starts without the clutch depressed
    obviously not something you do with it in gear but does the inspection check for this?

Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    My inspections did not check for lock-outs or warning lights (e-brake).
    On that line of reg5036 and noted, my car cost $1,200 in labor to build.*
    *That's an approximate rate of $0.01/h...

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so an update on the sequence number I had been given at the beginning of April. As I suspected, either the young lady that helped me, or the agent up in Sacramento that she dealt with had a dyslexic moment. Instead of the #504 that she had told me was my number, it turns out that it was actually 054!! It took me all this time, calling DMV every day and not getting through, to finally connect with a real person who was willing to make a few interoffice calls, and confirm the actual number for me. They said the certificate should be mailed in the next few days, so hopefully I can get all this registration taken care of, and get back to driving.
    Rick

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast