Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kirkey Vintage Low Back Seat

Post Thanks / Like

Kirkey Vintage Low Back Seat

I'm trying to research what is the model # and the best place to purchase the kirkey low back vintage seat for a tall guy - 6'3" 225 lbs?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am similar to your build at 6'3" about 215. I have the 16" high backs. It is a snug fit for sure. Looking how the seat sits I am confident the 17" version would fit and not sure about the 18". I'm not sure if that is helpful to you because I do not know the seat widths the low back comes in. I think they may be the same. If so you may want to consider the 17" width. (That is the inner measurement of the sitting area not the total width of the seat)
    I believe all the ones FFR sells are the 16" size.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...e-class-bucket
    The roadrace version is limited width wise because of the wings. The general the word has been that the 17 road race seat can be made to fit w/ a little work. So a 17" low back should be easy. In the page I linked click on the 17" and then click 'ShopDrawings' to get dimensions so you can play around w/ a tape measure. A recommendation for you. The lowback cover is only available in black vinyl. Go here and look at the tweed covers.
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...RO-STREET-DRAG
    Order a drag seat tweed cover and have a seamstress cut off the top to fit the low back. The tweed is immeasurably cooler in the summer especially if grey will work w/ your paint color.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 17" (Part# 41700V), I'm 6'4", 225. See my build thread for details, but with 1.5" of side foam on the custom covers they fit me perfectly. If you are going with the stock covers, go 16".

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 17" lowback Kirkey seats that I modified slightly to remove some of the "severity" of the side bolsters. I'm 6' and 225 lbs and fit perfectly - the key is to get the padding right if you are not using the Kirkey covers. Kirkey was kind enough to sell me some of the extruded aluminum edge beading, so I was able to actually make the modifications look like they were there from the outset. Also, I had them covered by a local upholstery shop in full leather - fronts, sides, and backs - and included seat heaters and inflatable lumbar support for both driver and passenger. The mounts use Breeze's angled bases and then I made the backrest mounts myself to attach them to the chassis.

I bought mine from Speedway, which had the best price at the time.

Here are a couple links to threads I did on this forum about the modifications - the first shows the raw aluminum seats before and after and the second shows the covered seats in comparison to the stock FFR seats.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ets-(Low-Back)

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ather-Covering
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    For comparison.....

FFR standard vinyl roadster seat:

Modified Kirkey 17" low-back:

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow they look great. I just ordered a set. Do you need the bottom and back braces or can you mount to the floor directly? I ordered them just in case

Post Thanks / Like
    You could mount them to the floor - they come undrilled, so it's up to you where and how you put the holes for mounting. However, you will likely find that you need more of an angle. In fact, the Breeze mounts weren't even enough for me, so I used some round tubing to span across the front two mounting bolts - about 1" in diameter - which gave me a perfect angle. The benefit of that was that the seat heater switch fit into the end of that tubing perfectly and the wire pigtail was long enough to reach out the other side, so it made for a perfect hidden mounting point for those switches.

For the rear mount, I used a pair of the Kirkey back mounts, but cut them really short and made brackets to fit them through the rear bulkhead so that they mount directly to the 2x3 tube that runs behind the cockpit. One of the links I posted above should show how I made those mounts.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a thread I started on my Kirkey 41700V install. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...v-install.html
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Gumball you inspired me and I am grateful. I am 6' with a 33 inseam, 32" waist, wide shouldered, 218 lbs. Couldn't get comfortable in the FF seats, arm bent all the time and knees up. I bought the Kirkey 17 Vintage seats, wrapped in leather and copied you, don't be mad, it's a compliment. Now I cannot reach the pedals at the furthest back slider position, in fact I have to come forward 2 clicks. My arm is fully extended with my wrist, at palm centered on the steering wheel, and I have unusually long arms. LOVE IT!!

I had John Evans of Vintage Restoration The Woodlands, TX remove the FF roadster seats and breeze mounts. Purchased and mounted Corbeau 1" Tall Universal Seat Brackets on each side. https://corbeau.com/other/master-sea...t-bracket.html. Modified the front with tabs to lift it slightly. The Kirkey seat frames were not modified like yours, everything was covered in stock format. Best part about this whole deal is.... NOW the wife can drive it. Thanks again Gumball.

20190515_135900.jpg
    20190515_135917.jpg
    20190515_140216.jpg
    20190515_135842.jpg
    20190515_135807.jpg
    Last edited by gmagno; 05-16-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gmagno, those look great. I would suggest you look into headrests.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

I've got the Factory Five Big & Tall seats sitting on the Breeze mounts; however, I'd like to sit a tad lower when I go to the drag strip.
    With that said, what do you all think about the Kirkey 55 Series shown below:

Kirkey 17" 55 Series:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-55170

Kirkey 55 Series Cover:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...iABEgJ9Y_D_BwE

I'm still not 100% sold of the leather seats because of the lack of a head rest and the 55's frame looks like the vintage seat, but with the head rest poking up?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

however, I'd like to sit a tad lower when I go to the drag strip.

With that said, what do you all think about the Kirkey 55 Series shown below:

I'm still not 100% sold of the leather seats because of the lack of a head rest and the 55's frame looks like the vintage seat, but with the head rest poking up?
    Those are the seats (55 series) I'm running and I like them.

I agree - I think the vintage lowbacks are the same bottom frame as the 55 series.

I also agree with Gumball that cutting some of the excess "severity" of the side bolsters (both thigh + ribcage areas) could be helpful - seems to be near identical between the vintage + 55 series seats. Naturally that mod would require a little upholstery work additionally.

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo, if it helps, the seat brackets I used along with 1.5" of seat bottom foam keeps my head 5" below the top of roll bar hoop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

Thanks-O-Million For The Updates!

I think I'll pick up one seat just for Wednesday Nights at Gulfport Dragway.
    I'm only 5'10", but would like to sit as low as possible when traversing the 1,320!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I also went the lowback Kirkey Classic route after getting tired of sitting so high in the car. The 18" seats do fit, but you need to open up a slot on the door side to clear the frame tubing in front of the rear tire, if you want to use the full depth. Mine are mounted on Sparco sliders and I have to move up around 3" now get comfortable.
    I fabbed some Nylon spacers that bolt to the bottom of the seat and attach to the sliders. If you want to go with sliders and want my bracket design, send me a PM.Kirkey mounts.JPGIMG_1360.JPG

I bought the roll bar mounted head rests off EBAY, modified the brackets since they didn't fit the width of my roll bars though, The parts are water jetted and very rough, so if you want them to look nice be prepared to spend 4 hours cleaning them up.IMG_1198.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDave View Post

I also went the lowback Kirkey Classic route after getting tired of sitting so high in the car. The 18" seats do fit, but you need to open up a slot on the door side to clear the frame tubing in front of the rear tire, if you want to use the full depth. Mine are mounted on Sparco sliders and I have to move up around 3" now get comfortable.

I fabbed some Nylon spacers that bolt to the bottom of the seat and attach to the sliders. If you want to go with sliders and want my bracket design, send me a PM.

Kirkey mounts.JPG
    A couple more thoughts.

Again, I used the series 55 seats, I think a 16" driver's side + 17" passenger.

The spacer pictured in the quote looks very similar to what I needed to get the front of the seat high enough (and seat back reclined) - I built mine out of aluminum (2 per seat) - the back of the seat could pretty much sit on the floor - I am well below (5+ inches below) the stock roll bar height at 5'8".

I mounted the series 55 seats slightly diagonally (pointing toward outboard front wheel, away from bellhousing) and also probably 1/2" to 3/4" top of seat toward inboard (outside edge of seat higher - to get away from the doors).