Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 f150 coyote engine harness

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote cam swap tutorial and Timing Cover question

This thread has been really invaluable for my research. I'm looking at putting in either a salvage F150 or Mustang Coyote - I have a 2012 F150 that I bought new with ~ 80K miles on it I could use also but by the time I'm ready to implant the mileage will be getting up there. Does anyone have a good resource showing the steps to replace the cams? Based on the above it looks like for a 2012 F150 I would only have to replace the intake cams since the exhaust ones match up. Either way, if I do the 2011-2014 or 2015+, I will need to learn how to do the cam swap. Anyone have any good YouTube videos or Auto repair books to reference? I've never worked on engine internals before so I'm fairly green at this.

One more question - looks like I'll need to replace the timing cover of an F150 with that of a Mustang GT version of the equivalent model year. Are there multiple part numbers for the Mustang GT timing cover with different option mounts? Do some come with A/C mounts and some without or are they all the same? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a good writeup on American Muscle that talks about Comp Cams install. The procedure is the same for any stock cam except for the fact that you won't need phase limiters for the stock cams. I'm sure there are plenty of other writeups available, but that's one I've seen before.
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/compc...t-install.html

The timing cover may depend on what car you're building but going to the Mustang GT timing cover is the safe bet. I have a 2015 F150 engine and alternator ready to go in the Coupe so I'm seeing if I can keep that. If not I'll make the switch to the GT cover and Boss alternator. I believe the A/C mounts are the same but I haven't confirmed that yet. I haven't heard of ones without A/C mounts.
    Last edited by q4stix; 01-09-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by q4stix View Post
    Here's a good writeup on American Muscle that talks about Comp Cams install. The procedure is the same for any stock cam except for the fact that you won't need phase limiters for the stock cams. I'm sure there are plenty of other writeups available, but that's one I've seen before.
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/compc...t-install.html

The timing cover may depend on what car you're building but going to the Mustang GT timing cover is the safe bet. I have a 2015 F150 engine and alternator ready to go in the Coupe so I'm seeing if I can keep that. If not I'll make the switch to the GT cover and Boss alternator. I believe the A/C mounts are the same but I haven't confirmed that yet. I haven't heard of ones without A/C mounts.
    Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. After doing some more reading, it looks like some have successfully installed the stock F150 timing cover and just switched out the alternator but I sent a PM to try to confirm the setup. If I hear back I'll post the details. Mine will be going into a MK4 at at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of planning my MKIV build. I was originally going to go with a Coyote but after all I have read lately I might be better off going LSx based.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch@0s View Post
    I am in the process of planning my MKIV build. I was originally going to go with a Coyote but after all I have read lately I might be better off going LSx based.
    Without getting into the Ford vs. Chevy power discussion, what issues with a Coyote are you talking about? Big difference between a crate Coyote with a Ford Performance crate control pack (plug and play) and adapting an F150 donor Coyote (the subject of this thread).
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cost and availability. I can source a LS1 with trans for $2500 or so. I wont have to swap cams or timing covers. I can also get the wiring I need and PCM for $700 or less. Compared to the Mustang 5.0 for $4K trand for $1500 and control pack for $1500. To be honest I'm a Hot Rodder at heart, ford or Chevy it doesn't matter to me, its all about getting my moneys worth. If I could make it happen for the same price I would choose the Coyote.

Post Thanks / Like
    One other thing I found on my 2017 F150 engine that needed to change were the cam phasers. The timing marks are in different places on the Mustang vs F150 cam phasers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mauldin View Post
    One other thing I found on my 2017 F150 engine that needed to change were the cam phasers. The timing marks are in different places on the Mustang vs F150 cam phasers.
    Has anyone else found this to be true? I am in the process of converting a 2016 F150 Coyote to mustang cams for a swap and want to get all needed parts up front. I know the part #'s are different between the f150and the mustang but I have not heard anyone else call the phaser out as a needed part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Has anyone else found this to be true? I am in the process of converting a 2016 F150 Coyote to mustang cams for a swap and want to get all needed parts up front. I know the part #'s are different between the f150and the mustang but I have not heard anyone else call the phaser out as a needed part.
    I hadn't seen the cam phaser swap either in any of the threads I've read. But most I've seen have done the older Gen 1 F150 swap. Are you planning to swap the cams yourself or taking it to a shop? Just curious how much work would go into that job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to do the job myself, it is actually pretty simple if you follow the steps to maintain the cam timing. I have to pull off the front cover anyway to update it to the mustang part so might as well do it all at once. It does make some sense that the timing marks would be different due to the firing order change but I just assumed that the cam would index the phaser in the correct position since I have not heard of a need to replace those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lx5.4 View Post
    I too have seen that company, don't know how he past the pats, since non off the other program companies are having a difficult time at it.
    I know I'm late to the party, but, if you have the original F150 ignition key, you don't have to flash out the PATS. The key has to be in the "vicinity" of the control module. Just zip tie it under the dash someplace. (No, you don't need the ignition switch)
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just starting with my swap. I have a 2016 F150 engine. I was wondering if you ever got yours running? If so do could you help me out with the cam, phasers, and engine harness part numbers?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m still in the build phase of my kit. Everything went together great once I got the phaser kit. The kit I used was M-6004-A5015. I made a short YouTube video showing the differences in the phasers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m still in the build phase of my kit. Everything went together great once I got the phaser kit. The kit I used was M-6004-A5015. I made a short YouTube video showing the differences in the phasers.
    Tom - can you confirm if the phaser swap is required on both Gen 1 (2011-2014) and Gen 2 (2015-2017) or just the later? I've seen posts by several on here and the FactoryFive Builder Facebook group that did very minimal changes to the 2011-2014 engine (didn't even swap the cams) and claim it still runs great after a tune. But I think the concensus is that the 2015-2017 requires a bit more work. Link to your YouTube video?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is just the Gen 2 because of the different firing order on the truck.

https://youtu.be/35seR0G_GzA

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious if the inner timing marks and pin locations are the same if the timing mark on the F150 chain is different than the mustang chain or if the chain is the same and the cam pin hole is clocked differently. Maybe Ford also make a change to the phaser limits too. Wish I could get my hands on them all at once to tear them down and see what's actually different to clear up all this confusion for everyone.

*edit* Tom, do you still have the F150 phasers and cams? Are you planning to do anything with them or to sell them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I junked the parts I pulled from the F150. I should.be doing another swap in the near future, so I’ll make more in-depth documentation if no one has already done it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I junked the parts I pulled from the F150. I should.be doing another swap in the near future, so I’ll make more in-depth documentation if no one has already done it.
    This would be awesome. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the phasers have to be changed I guess another possible way to go wold be to use the GT350 replacement phasers.M-6004-A50R however I don't know whether a reduced leak down rate would be the ideal combination for a street driven engine which would seldom see use in the upper rpm range that the coyote is capable of. Would it be possible to mark the mustang timing location mark on the F150 phaser as they both look like they clock the same on the cams?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking along the same lines of remarking the phasers too if everything else seemed the same like the pin location for the cams, the +/- travel of the phaser, etc. That's why I was hoping to get hold of one before I tore my engine all apart for the heads and internals upgrading. If I'm still the first, I'll be sure to post for everyone though!

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about remarking the phasers, but I wasn’t sure how close the drawings in the manual were to being totally accurate. Meaning being able to count the teeth from one to the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    11-14 F150 Coyote works well in my MK4, no cam swaps, cover changes, or other complicated stuff necessary. I used the factory wire harness, Ford Racing controls pack, OEM F150 alternator, Gates K060640 serpentine belt, and MMR oil filter relocation kit. Cranked right up on the first start!

23. Likes dbo_texas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep it only the F150 Gen 2 (15-17) that have these issues. Not sure about the Gen 3 yet. I will say that I’m doing another Gen 2 F150 engine and the cams and phaser kits have gotten more expensive as well as a couple of the cams had to be back ordered.

25. Likes dbo_texas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lx5.4 View Post
    Thank you so much. That just solves everything. I need mustang cams. If anyone has or knows of anyone that is willing to sell theirs I'm interested.
    I'm looking at the Holley Eliminator system, from what I'm told it will work without any mechanical changes, just plug and play.
    Last edited by Pgoldsmith; 09-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12