Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Making progress on my build...

Post Thanks / Like
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I had not seen that one, Mike. That's an ideal setup for a removable wheel. I was trying to come up with a connector that would mate up like that but failed. I can't believe they have 12 wires too.
    I'm working on an 8 function wireless system basically repurposing two car alarm systems. I will have 10 buttons since the horn and flash-to-pass will have 2 buttons each on 1 circuit. I think it will work very well.

Here's a preview :

Last edited by beeman; 04-08-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link to the other article and the offer on the clock spring and adapter. I'll shoot you a PM to no clutter up your thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shift light done (one-of-a-kind system built by a someone who actually understands programming), time to get the cluster in and finished wiring. It should change color and flash at redline once hooked up to RPM signal.

Last edited by beeman; 04-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

5. Likes LCD Gauges liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my gauge cluster with the EL gauge faces. C5 needle typically illuminated by UV lights in the OEM cluster.

Purchased some tiny UV led lights, will install 3, here's the 1st one in place :

Ready to rock n roll

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    "Waterproofing" the trunk.

Man, that would have been nice if the targa fit! Just a few inches more
    Actually... If I move my wiper I think it will!! Who would have thought! Can I mount my wiper motor off to the side?? I'm getting a little excited about this!

Last edited by beeman; 04-13-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    The wiper lost out on this one. I'll need to figure out another option.
    I just need to clearance a couple areas. But boy would this solve a major headache - ie having to leave the top at home or custom fab a targa that breaks down for storage.

Last edited by beeman; 04-13-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Done. Still plenty of luggage room underneath.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much traffic here so I'll add another update.
    Just checked the mail, thanks Shane!
    The more I use 3D printing, the more I learn its strengths and limitations. Regardless, it is great for prototyping. My 3D printed steering wheel button plate was plenty strong for its purpose of securely holding buttons and the stress of mashing on them... But the plate has to be mounted between the hub and the wheel and I wasn't willing to count on ABS to support that stress. So I emailed vraptorspeedworks. Two thicknesses to play with.

Last edited by beeman; 04-14-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a self contained marine wiper unit and mount it to the side of your targa top?

This is like the unit I am using...

https://www.go2marine.com/product/35...per-motor.html
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Use a self contained marine wiper unit and mount it to the side of your targa top?

This is like the unit I am using...

https://www.go2marine.com/product/35...per-motor.html
    Thanks for the link, Mike, some interesting hardware on that site. I'm having trouble picturing how that unit would mount though.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    It mounts via the shaft hole and one screw. Very easy to mount. You can see drawings at the manufacturers website...

http://www.marinco.com/en/37110
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike, looks like a reasonable option.

Got my Targa trunk roof mounts done. Repurposed some Jeep Cherokee radiator mounts that I was planning on using but never did. Very secure mounting for the top and does not interfere with truck access for cargo. I just need something now to hold the top down in the mounts, could be something as simple as bungee cords vs. something more elegant. Please let me know if you have any good ideas.
    This is actually version 2.0. Version one involved locking the targa into place utilizing the roof targa locks. I realized that access to the mechanism would be a pain in the butt after spending some time fabricating that.
    Again, this really solves one of the biggest concerns I had with the entire car, namely what the heck do I do with the roof when I take it off away from home. I really had given up on the idea of finding a place in the vehicle to stow it.

Last edited by beeman; 04-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to look at Rok Straps? They are like flat bungee cords and would be much lower profile and also have much nicer hardware...

https://pu-products.com/product-cate...-straps-fixed/
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think those might work perfectly Mike.
    It looks like they aren't supposed to scratch painted surfaces, do you know? I can always put something underneath the strap to prevent paint damage. Looks like the 24" might be best.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just noticed the LED bar and that you have the needles illuminated. Nice stuff! I can't believe you'll be able to fit the targa top
    under the hood after making the front end SMALLER!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    www.uscargocontrol.com

Take a peek at their L-track systems. We use this in the transportation industry (aircraft, trucking) for heavy duty applications and it’s fantastic. 100% secure connection with a one handed instant release. You could get by with a few pucks and a basic strap. As for padding the strap, there are soft tie down covers sold in the motorcycle industry that may be of interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    I actually think those might work perfectly Mike.
    It looks like they aren't supposed to scratch painted surfaces, do you know? I can always put something underneath the strap to prevent paint damage. Looks like the 24" might be best.

They have what appears to be a woven nylon covering. As long as the panel does not move around much, then I don't think the straps would hurt the paint at all. I have a couple of these straps from a promo from years ago and they are a quality product. I wouldn't worry about putting them against paint unless I expected movement.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mocking up the air intake system, here is where I am so far. I'm a stickler for the GM MAF location recommendations, I get a little concerned when I see installations that ignore it :
    Ensure the MAF Sensor is mounted in the middle of a minimum 6 inch length of 4 inch diameter tube, and is a minimum of 10 inches from the throttle body.
    Here is what I have so far. So I need to figure out the airbox. I have room behind the driver's seat for a plenty-big airbox that would be protected from engine bay heat. Or I can shorten the 4" tube to keep everything aft of the firewall. I am still debating roof scoop(s) vs 1/4 window scoops.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's probably the best place for the MAF in your setup. It's on a straight run, so readings will be more accurate than
    coming off a bend.

Definitely keep the heat away from the MAF and intake tubing. Why not grab the air from the rear section of the car
    (just behind the glass) and shorten the tube?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I'm not sure which is the better option. So I'll work on the trunk. The smaller one will be for electrical components including relays and power distribution for front electrics. I think the car alarm brain might also fit in there.

Last edited by beeman; 05-01-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with one of the Lingenfelter guys about moving the oil temp and level sender, I bought a plug to delete the stock location on the oil pan so I can clock my starter away from the header. I'll put a temp sender on the other side by the oil filter.
    My LS3 has the 58x crankshaft wheel, my ECU is a C5 which only knows how to interpret a 24x signal. Rather than rip everything apart, I ordered the Lingenfelter plug and play electronic adapter. I asked the Lingenfelter tech if it would potentially destroy my engine if it failed for any reason, he said the engine would just die. Reviews on the device are 5/5 for the most part.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L460065397.html

After reading Shoeless' post about custom wiring, that feeling in my gut that I should do a from-scratch harness (combined with the C5 wiring that I'm keeping) led me to rip out the Painless harness...

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    That Lingenfelter adapter sure seems like an interesting solution. The biggest PITA with the newer crate engine ECU's for LS3's and LS7's is that they do not offer any way to control the AC compressor or cooling fans, which results in having to incorporate a bunch of "work-arounds" on a GTM....and no matter what you do, you still don't have the ability to tell the ECU when the AC compressor in engaged, and therefore a lot of these engines will die when trying to come down to idle when the AC is on since they have no way to anticipate the load of the compressor. AC compressor control, idle control with AC, compressor over-rev protection, cooling fan control based on both coolant temp and AC function.....all done by the C5 engine ECU and can not be done on LS3 and LS7 ECU's. That little reluctor wheel adapter just might be the easiest solution to all of that?....nice find!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m glad I have inspired you to take another look at your wiring approach, all be it more work on your side, but ultimately I think you will be happy with a custom made harness. I truely love learning new skills and once the wiring process is complete I will know every single wire and every single function the car is doing.

I too once looked at the Lingenfelter converter some time ago when I was looking at what EMS to run and what it could read (24x or 58x). After talking to AEM they told me how to change what would be their plug and play harness for a 24x setup to run on a 58x motor. I’m sure every system is different, but it was as easy as swapping a couple pins on that sensor lead and BAM now it’s 58x.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    That Lingenfelter adapter sure seems like an interesting solution. The biggest PITA with the newer crate engine ECU's for LS3's and LS7's is that they do not offer any way to control the AC compressor or cooling fans, which results in having to incorporate a bunch of "work-arounds" on a GTM....and no matter what you do, you still don't have the ability to tell the ECU when the AC compressor in engaged, and therefore a lot of these engines will die when trying to come down to idle when the AC is on since they have no way to anticipate the load of the compressor. AC compressor control, idle control with AC, compressor over-rev protection, cooling fan control based on both coolant temp and AC function.....all done by the C5 engine ECU and can not be done on LS3 and LS7 ECU's. That little reluctor wheel adapter just might be the easiest solution to all of that?....nice find!
    Hi Shane,
    Are you saying it does not even have the fan relay output? my older ls376 at least had that, but no AC control, that would be trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KGTM View Post
    Hi Shane,
    Are you saying it does not even have the fan relay output? my older ls376 at least had that, but no AC control, that would be trouble.
    We've installed quite a few GMPP crate engines here and it seems that no two engine harnesses are the same. They are all constructed differently, have different fuse boxes and different outputs. Some have fan relays built into the harness with heavy output wires to power a cooling fan. Some have just a relay trigger output for the cooling fans and you have to wire in your own relay. Some have no cooling fan output at all. None of the LS3/LS7 harnesses/ECU's can control the AC compressor or have a way to control the cooling fan based on AC function because GM switched all of that function over to the BCM and communicated that info from the BCM to the ECU via CAN BUS.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine does have the fan with really but I do not use it directly, I have my own fan and AC controller with temperature input and trinity ac switch and fan control with PWM and RPM input for max RPM of AC clutch control, also I turn off AC when depending what is going on with RPM and I may add paddle position into that so in hard acceleration it will turn it off, it worked well and very clean!

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Need to get moving on the rear end so I can get a spoiler mounted. I cut the hatch so I can leave the rear part fixed for an aero device. Trying to decide between ducktail and elevated spoiler/wing.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I did.

now you need latch and supports.

Post Thanks / Like
    I swung by Lingenfelter to pick up my reluctor adapter. What a great company.

Every once in a while, I come across a socket with some patina. I didn't have a 1 1/8 inch deep socket to remove my oil level sender. Lingenfelter was nice enough to loan me theirs for the quick job!

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Finalizing wiring of the LS3 with the C5 Corvette PCM and harness. More involved than I thought, but not bad. Definitely not plug and play. Several "plug and play" adapter harnesses are available, but are 3x the price of the appropriate pigtail, and much bulkier, so I'm soldering everything in (except for the Lingenfelter reluctor adapter).

1. Combine the C5 separate TPS and throttle motor power harnesses into single LS2 (LS3 TB NOT compatible with C5 computer!) throttle body harness (not completely intuitive - 2 C5 wires are not used)
    2. Lingenfelter reluctor adapter. Plug and play with C5 harness, bridges Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors to C5 harness.
    3. MAP sensor pigtail change
    4. C5 MAF and IAT combined into single 5 wire LS3 MAF sensor.
    5. LS3 knock sensors not compatible with C5 PCM (without extensive tuning). There are 10x1.5mm bungs on both sides of the LS3 block to mount ls1 knock sensors, just need to extend the harness.
    Last edited by beeman; 03-01-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Need to get moving on the rear end so I can get a spoiler mounted. I cut the hatch so I can leave the rear part fixed for an aero device. Trying to decide between ducktail and elevated spoiler/wing.
    Dave-

Even though you didn't ask me, I think you need to go with the elevated spoiler/wing! I just think with a car like this, with a true super car look to it, deserves to have the high rear wing to make it look like it can fly!

That's my opinion. What I do know however, is whatever way you go on this, it's going to look awesome! I really admire your skills, and enjoy seeing your updates!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman,

I have a heavy power wire from the ECU for the fans but I did not use them as Shane was saying it would only turn on both fans based on temperature and would not operate the with A/C or the trinary switch, so I got a Dakota Digital fan controller to control the fans as low / high fan operation and can set the temperatures I want them to come on at. I also incorporated and window switch to shut down compressor at higher PRM and return compressor to operating with the RPM's drop below the low range. I can also set the low RPM compressor on and high RPM compressor off on the window switch. This way I have complete control of the fans and compressor even though I am using the LS3 stand alone ECU and wire harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a relay diagram that I found to run my dual Spal fans at high and low speed, it is essentially the same circuit as the C5. Runs them in series for low speed and in parallel for high speed.
    Does this look accurate?
    Would I need to protect my PCM with diodes?

Last edited by beeman; 05-12-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    This should work, but you may want to exchange 86 and 85, for most part 86 is positive and this is because you can get these relays with builtin diode and for those 86 must be connected to positive otherwise it will blow the fuse or burn up.

Also one may accidently place one with diodes in there and could damage the drive or blow up the fuse again.

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good, Mostafa. So I shouldn't worry about putting any diodes between the PCM and the relays?

James I think you have the right fan setup for the LS3 PCM. I'm keeping traction control, ABS, TPMS, gauges, DIC, etc from the C5.

Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Dave-

Even though you didn't ask me, I think you need to go with the elevated spoiler/wing! I just think with a car like this, with a true super car look to it, deserves to have the high rear wing to make it look like it can fly!!

Steve
    Well as usual I invested (not much money in this case) in mocking up both options. I like the low drag option of a rear spoiler (a proven 200mph design) and have partially mocked that up and I think it looks great.
    Plan B is an elevated wing (OEM vs aftermarket). Currently have uprights on the 3D printer (basically will be aerodynamic facades over aluminum uprights if I end up going that route) just to see how a Japanese oem wing looks. This route should let me use actuators for a DRS button on my steering wheel.

Resizer_15577047124712.jpg

Resizer_15577047124710.jpg
    Last edited by beeman; 05-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, your fan relays should work like that.....same as in the C5. Shouldn't need any diodes anywhere for that.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what an APR wing looks like on a GTM, and I like Shane's custom integrated fiberglass wing. I haven't seen too many other options out there (GTM-R aside). Quick mockup of a Honda wing in my shop, I like it to some degree and don't like it to some degree. I could mount it a little lower, but would need it at the current height to clear the body as it is deployed into high AOA mode if I install actuators. It reminds me of the deployed wing on the Porsche Carrera GT, and I always thought that the wing never looked quite right on that car.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

I like some aspects of the design, but I think it is missing something. One thing I think looks good on these cars, and not so much on others, is simply a large wing. To me, the scale of the car requires the use of a large wing -- it just looks right!

What do you think about a wing that mirrors the shape of the rear of the car. In other words, flat-ish in the center section, then curves up around the rear "fenders" flaring back to flat to the outside of the car. Then, when retracted, the wing would sit just above the back end of the car. nearly disappearing into the back of the car. Then, when extended would rise up to the selected height and AOA you need. Hopefully I explained that in such a way that it makes sense. The shape would be different, but I am not sure that this is a bad thing. I think the added bonus of it being somewhat invisible when retracted is a nice feature.

I love the DRS button on the steering wheel. Your button selections on your steering wheel are going to be insane! I love the progress!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, Dave,

Are you thinking along these lines?

220.jpg
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast