BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  71
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Making progress on my build...

Post Thanks / Like
    This asymmetry really tricked me, have to redo some things on the passenger side of the body now...I had no idea that the driver's side door sculpting was close to 20mm wider!

I'm going to redo the gas tank filler, the GTM "makes do" with the crossover fitting on the tank, and I have concerns about venting and fill rates. Will fill gas from the driver's side only. Ordered some hdpe barb fittings from 123ponds, 1.5" to fit the fill tube on the C5 fuel filler neck, and 5/8" barb fittings for venting the driver and passenger tanks back to the C5 fuel filler neck vent. Will plastic weld the fittings to the tops of the tanks. Ordered a variety to play with. About $2 each.

Will move the fuel filler up to the 1/4 window area, kind of like the 918.

MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the location I am moving the fuel filler to on the GTMR as well. Gives a lot more room for tube bends so fuel flows easier. My filler is also a dry break, so no way to make it fit in the fender.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the front fascia mounted so I can create a hood. Fasteners will be changed out for pretty ones, lower 3 will be hidden as I'm closing out the central intake.

Got a 45 degree 1.5" fuel filler hose and 5/8 venting hose.

The bottom 2 inches of the front fascia will be removed to make it level with the belly pan and a splitter will be applied.

Last edited by beeman; 11-17-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the fuel filler welded in. First effort was just a press-fit with a weld around the rim. Felt good until I cranked on it and it failed. Second time around, roughed everything up on both mating surfaces and melted both with a heat gun then stuck them together while gooey then finished with a deep weld around the rim.

1/2" maple plywood for the splitter. Any thoughts on shape? Just follow the fascia shape? What about on the sides? I plan to make one for the street and a longer one for the track.

The rear side of the 1/2" plywood will be cut to mate against the front of the 1/2" belly pan frame which will make it smooth to the belly pan aluminum. Will weld in tabs onto the frame to support the rear.

Going to order Longacre splitter support rods for the front support (does 3 seem adequate - one on each side plus one in the middle? Or do 4?)

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Bee, you can get more strength out of a plastic weld by melting in steel mesh to span the seam. If you bury the mesh all the way below the surface, it’s not coming out. By doing this you’ll achieve a mechanical lock in addition to the chemical lock of the molten plastic. Harbor Freight includes this mesh with their $10 plastic welder kit if you’re not familiar with what it looks like. Keep us updated on your project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that tip, I got my welder off Amazon but it has the mesh, I thought it was just for patching holes. I'll torque the crap out of the fitting and add the mesh if it fails.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'd go with four splitter supports with your front facia. One pair inline between the openings and one pair on the outside. Probably more for looks, but I think the functionality will be fine.

I personally like the way the FF GTM is set up with four. Two on the splitter and two on the canards. I can't wait to get to that point on my build and start playing around with carbon fiber ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the splitter done, just need to under radius the front edge. I do want airflow under my car to create a negative pressure. This is a real splitter that I will be able to stand on to load my luggage if needed.
    85mm splitter, plus some 'splitter' built into the fascia.
    Weighs 4.5 pounds now, still need to sand/trim a little.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Bee-

Yes, I love the shape of the splitter, nicely done! I too, think that four hold downs will be just right. I continue to admire the quality of your work! I have none of the creativity, and a significant talent disparity to do anything close to this. However, I can sure admire those that have it! I really appreciate you letting us follow along.

I look forward to continuing to follow your progress! All the best.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the kind words, Steve. I did go ahead and order 4 supports.
    The splitter was a relatively easy project, but I'll admit that the lift made it a lot simpler. Just sat the plywood on sawhorses and lowered the car onto it.

I'm convinced that *most* OEM and aftermarket reclining seats can be modified to fit in the GTM. I was easily able to make the Toyota Celica seat work, and was extremely comfortable, but not exotic enough in the end... Just requires a lot of modification. Sliders won't work obviously, and you can really decrease the vertical height by removing the tilt mechanism and independently mounting the lower and upper halves. And seat cushion modification to get your butt near the floor. I think I have 1 more inch of headroom than the stock GTM. I had to do all the above. I sent my seat bottom back to the automotive upholsterer a second time to get me even lower. I'm very happy with it now.

I shortened and re-welded the vertical bars in the seat back to give me 2.5" more clearance from the roof. (This pic shows the area of the seat back bars I shortened. Those are the welds that came on the seat - not mine!)

Plenty of clearance now. I should mention that the seat didn't even fit in the car when it arrived assembled. Seat back fabric looks wrinkled because I'm modifying it.

I'm rotated slightly to the right, in line with the new footbox.

Last edited by beeman; 12-02-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman, did you have to cut off all of the original seat belt anchor points? I have removed only the outer ones on each side as the intent is to install a 4 point harness. Thinking of getting the Braum seats and getting them recovered. I have some Cipher seats but the shoulder wings are 22" and will hit rollover bar and window when door closed. What seats are you using that you modified?

Post Thanks / Like
    I should clarify my post above - pretty much everyone to this point has looked for a seat (and there are only a few) that they could squeeze into the GTM cabin (just barely) and settle on one of the few that "works". I took the approach of finding a seat that I like and making it work, but yeah it's a lot of work. Again, these seats DO NOT fit the GTM as designed.

I have removed all the seat belt anchors, will weld in new tabs for both 3-point belt and 5-point harness. I had to modify the seat bottom as well to move me an inch towards midline.

They are NRG Type-r seats. Fabric is just OK. With my door bars, I lower myself into the seat so I'm not rough on the bolsters. I do like the appearance and shape of the seat, and my upholsterer can tune them up if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H7MLOVI..._f0--BbXCBJ3FV
    Last edited by beeman; 11-26-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Beeman, still looking at seats as I mentioned but know I will need to modify but hoping to modify as little as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I know where I'm sitting, I got the shifter mounted in the ideal position (for me). Time to anchor the 5-point harness. Upholsterer is going to create a pass-through for the anti-submarine strap.
    Hopefully the Cipher harness isn't too JDM!

Last edited by beeman; 11-30-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good progress. What shifter is that?
    Also, you may have mentioned it earlier, but what transaxle are you using?
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Dallas!
    The gearbox is a g96 from California Motorsports. The shifter is also a CMS unit which I believe is 911 based with the upper billet mount for the GTM backbone (that I had to modify a little since I modified my backbone). I'm not sure if they make it anymore. The knob is late model 911 as well.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good Beeman....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    I'm back and forth between fabricating a rear spoiler (which I would prefer except it would also require that I build a steel subframe under the rear bodywork to support the increased stress) vs an off the shelf wing. I may start a new thread on that to get some ideas.
    I decided to get the FiveStar body braces for my splitter, fairly inexpensive and very strong. Here's an idea of the length...

Last edited by beeman; 12-04-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good find!
    I need a set of those for my wing brace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fabbing up a cross tube for the main hoop, not sure whether to do an X or a horizontal tube with this one.

I'm guessing this would be a bad idea? What is the r-value of auto glass? Heat would probably pour through?

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Went out and boxed in the coolant pipes in the cockpit, will insulate inside and outside. Wish I had a brake! It would be prettier, but no one is ever going to see it under insulation and carpet...
    I'm not using that seat belt anchor, someone was asking about that.

Last edited by beeman; 12-21-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Wish I had a brake! It would be prettier,
    Nice work for hand tools. I would love to have a nice pan brake. I have a basic 30" brake that is better than nothing, but a good brake is almost a 'must have' tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Nice work for hand tools. I would love to have a nice pan brake. I have a basic 30" brake that is better than nothing, but a good brake is almost a 'must have' tool.
    Ok, you've expanded my knowledge, I had no idea there was anything other than a simple brake. Looks like I may have to invest in a 'pan brake'! Beats a 2 pound sledge/angle iron/2x4 setup...
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had more room in the garage and a fewer hobbies, I'd have all kinds of extra tools LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely, Shoeless!
    More dust flying. I like that the aerodynamic surfaces are fixed up front. Now I have access to the trunk, suspension, and radiator bleed petcocks.

I have a similar hood to the Koenigsegg Regera now. The problem I'm going to have with a typical rear-hinge hood is that my fenders wrap around the windshield so the hinge needs to be really far back plus needs to be some type of 4-bar system to clear the glass and a-pillars.... Or go with a front hinge.

Last edited by beeman; 12-23-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Dallas, eBay has a 15% off any purchase today with code POPUPSAVINGS. I just ordered a pan brake. Thanks for the tip.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the pan brake.

Which hinge location gives you the best access?
    Looks like you have a good mounting point for the front hinge, can't really see the area in the rear where the hinge could go.
    I like that 4 bar hinge gif.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I found some hinges that will work for a rear hinge. I'd prefer that for access to the trunk. We'll see...

I like my wiper, very light and simple. Single 10mm nut to remove it and throw it in the trunk for track days and when I know it's not going to rain. ie so my wife doesn't have to look through it the whole trip. It's a rear wiper from a Toyota Celica. Whole system is a matter of ounces.

Parked position:

Last edited by beeman; 12-31-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Beeman, looks like a great idea. I have been toying with the same idea, changing the doors to open as you have shown. Have a ways to go before I get there so will be real interested in how your design works. This is one of the nice things about the GTM if you can imagine it, if more than like can be done. Good information thanks of the post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sneak preview of the duckbill (or is it ducktail? No one seems to know!) spoiler. IMHO, a flat bottomed venturi type car needs a spoiler (or a wing for a track-purposed car). Without a spoiler you are throwing away most of the downforce created by the flat bottom and diffuser. There is nothing aerodynamic about a flat trunk surface meeting a flat rear surface, plus I think the GTM rear is a bit bland as delivered.

I think I figured out why FFR dropped the spoiler from the prototype ...not that rear visibility was excellent before adding a spoiler.

Last edited by beeman; 01-16-2019 at 11:11 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    The waterfall cover was making it difficult to seal off the engine bay from the tunnel. Plus it was blocking access to prime real estate. So I cut it as far back as I could (limited by water tubing off water pump) and glassed in a divider. Just starting to get it trimmed and fitted here. Now I have a hinged compartment, or possibly magnets holding it in place. I'm probably going to put my fuse panel here unless someone has a better use of the space. Tunnel is now fully sealed from the engine bay. For you traditional builders, even if I was running hot water down my tunnel, I think I'd still do this and make a 'glove box' out of aluminum sheet above the water pipes for storage.

Last edited by beeman; 01-09-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman

Saw your post on my other thread showing first start of engine. Shane is correct, the wing supports are supplied by VRaptor and then welded to the tail piece supplied by FFR that was modified to support the 996 six speed transmission. The supports will keep the force generated by the ARP wing on the frame and off the body. Here is a better picture of the wing mounts.

IMG_1517.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the picture, James. I have extensively been debating between a wing and a spoiler, there are pros and cons to both. At this point I'm going to fabricate this spoiler and see how the car balance is with the front splitter. I still may yet add a wing, but I doubt I will need it.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuse panel mounted

Battery mounted
    Welded in X-shaped mount

Old rivet holes are from previous FFR mounting location. Still need to bend up sides of tray.

Last edited by beeman; 01-12-2019 at 12:03 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Going with a hybrid Painless/GM harness, wanted to ditch the bulky and heavy C5 power distribution boxes. This Painless harness has crazy long wires, you could wire an RV with it!

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the easiest thing in the world to mount two 4-bar hood hinges in mid-air and have everything line up perfectly parallel in 2 planes so the hood opens straight and doesn't bind.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's not the easiest thing in the world to mount two 4-bar hood hinges in mid-air and have everything line up perfectly parallel in 2 planes so the hood opens straight and doesn't bind.
    I've been following this thread for a while. I can't find a single thing you have done that was easy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Slotted holes :-)
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    Slotted holes :-)
    I had to find a fairly flat/horizontal location in a curvy portion of the hood at the back part of the wheel well, which dictated where the hinges would need to go, then find a way to mount the hinges to the chassis while keeping them parallel to each other. So slotting helps some but I think I need to get this pretty darn close, there is a lot more action going on with these 4-bar hinges compared to something hinging from a single point. The whole hood will be moving towards the ceiling as it begins to open.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Got things welded up, I think I'm really going to like how it turns out. I confirmed that the hinges will allow the hood to clear the windshield. Hinges are 350z roadster trunk hinges, I used to have one and remember the cool trunk geometry. As FraserD pointed out, I do have some wiggle room to make sure things are copacetic (anyone remember that word from the 90's?)...

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast