Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  71
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Making progress on my build...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    A touch lower and wider would look sweet; just my 1.5 cents worth...

Chris
    You were right, Chris, good eye!

Taking actual measurements from the Evo image now, v2 should be more accurate, so much for winging it!

Last edited by beeman; 01-28-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

2. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is much better, thanks for the input!

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    More cut and paste, I think this dash will turn out good. Toyota Celica. Leaning towards a Procision digital dash...

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Beeman!

I just discovered Factory Five this a few weeks ago, and have a new goal in life. I simply must build something. I've been spending a lot of time on the forums, and read through your entire build to date on Friday (didn't get forumn approval until today to respond). Very entertaining. Even more impressive. And highly inspiring! Keep up the amazing work and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I think I read somewhere in the thread you had a medical background of some sort? How did you acquire all the skills you have displayed here? I don't want to derail your thread, but I'd love to know more about your journey to the point that you are designing, fabricating, and blending parts from different builds into a beautiful piece of art (and a powerful one at that!). -- if I missed this somewhere, my apologies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dulock- Yes I work in the medical field. I love the work I do, but I really have a passion for everything automotive (well, everything PERFORMANCE automotive- can't say I get too excited about a Prius). I'm self taught in all of this. My dad really had no interest in this type of thing (but now he enjoys the track weekends with us - maybe it's the steak dinners??). Got started detailing cars at a Porsche dealership back in high school. I was able to buy a 1987 944 Turbo that I did some work on (back then I didn't know much and had to sell it because I couldn't afford maintaining it). So I think the sensation of that turbo kicking in got me hooked on cars. Then came the internet age, if you have the desire to learn something, you can. Didn't have anything special in college- Jeep, CRX. After college I was into Nissan Z32's for about 5 years, built up a slicktop TT with about 450 hp. A friend of mine showed me a FFR brochure about 10 years ago, we got excited about the GTM. I built a roadster first, then found this kit nearby in Michigan. Loved a lot about the GTM, also figured I'd change a few things. Moving the cabin was a priority. I wanted windows that seal up. Then I wanted a sunroof or removable roof, but the donor with a sunroof was very heavy so it defeated my primary purpose- performance. So I ended up with an MR2 and a DelSol for options. DelSol worked better. Here we are. Yikes.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to figure out this air intake. I really like the shape. I'm just trying to figure out how to incorporate one or 2 scoops. I printed a couple to see how they looked.

One central scoop like in the Huracan would make a rear window non-functional. Maybe that is not a big deal. For you GTM drivers, how much do you use the interior rear view mirror? Some? Not at all? I'm not opposed to a solid firewall with a camera-based rear view mirror, actually I will probably have a rear view camera anyways.

Another option is twin roof scoops, one on each side of the rear part of the roof. Shane has a rear hatch intake piece that is similar to that. I could potentially see out of the rear window with that.

Third option is putting the scoops at the 1/4 windows. I think they look good there and would be easy to plumb into an airbox. Would keep this area from being too bland.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you go with three. One on each quarter window as you were thinking. Then, add one in the center of the roof coming down the center of the rear window.

I think you go with a rear view camera, and not worry about what you can or can't see out the rear window. You are thinking of using Tino's dash, and integrating a camera there shouldn't be a problem, and matches the high tech feel I think you are after.

At least, that's how I see it. I know whatever you do will be killer!! Love what you are doing!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say two, on the side. Keep the top vent-free. Seems the cleanest option to me.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you're asking for opinions, if you're going to do those scoops, I like the 3rd option best.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the view out the rear window, with the changes you've made, I would guess you'd about have to go with a dash-mounted rear view mirror. The one that's currently mounted to your windshield...my guess is that it's probably mounted way too high to see anything but the engine compartment? We don't normally even install the rear view mirror in the GTM's we build because they take up way too much of your visibility out of the "mail slot". Of the ones that we have installed the mirror, it's actually quite useful to see what's behind you. In a normal GTM build, what they need is a mirror about half the size of the one that comes with the kit.

As for the air scoops.....I like the 2 on the roof. I don't think that shape is going to look good in the quarter-window area....I think it will look more like you've installed intake snorkels or something.....just my opinion.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I don't know if we've solved this yet, funny how we can all picture different outcomes and have our own opinions on what would look best... I really appreciate everyone's feedback though. I understand that it's hard to build something that everyone would say looks great, but I don't want to build something that everyone says looks bad! So I'm encouraged, believe it or not, that there isn't necessarily a concensus on the best way to do the intake(s). I think I'll get the body a little further along and mock up a few options and get some more feedback from you guys.
    Snuck out earlier and fiberglassed the previous cuts I made in the roof and c-pillar regions. Next I'll create the fiberglass body panels in the 1/4 window area, then move forward to the doors, then the front.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane, you had me wondering, here is a picture of the stock mirror location, not bad rear visibility from driving position

Moving the mirror up to the halo opens up the windshield and still gives what seems to be good rear visibility. Obviously the firewall window isn't in yet

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the mirror above the halo and the rear-view is decent.

Having the additional forward view is a better trade-off.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tino, I'll see how it looks with the firewall in but it's probably the better option.
    Change of pace, fabricating underbody aluminum for a nice flat belly, then get the radiator mounted and sealed air tight.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    So the plan is aluminum belly pan full width of fascia, tapering in to frame near LCA mounts along the rear angled 1/2" tubing. I don't think I can safely put a belly pan under the LCAs, I think suspension droop would blow through the belly pan there, right?
    FYI, no air will enter my fascia without being completely contained and channeled to the radiator, hvac, and brakes. Just starting to fab up here.

Last edited by beeman; 02-02-2018 at 07:04 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I love 1/2" square. Lightweight and solid as a rock. Fascia, belly pan, and splitter will mount to it.

Last edited by beeman; 02-15-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the front belly pan finished, turned out great. Will trim around the tires to give them plenty of space.

So I was playing around with a Honda radiator I had laying around and channeled Fraser D... Would give me a really nice front trunk! Does anyone know what radiators he ended up using??

From this:

To this:
    Last edited by beeman; 02-07-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't had much chance to look in, but I'm getting caught up.

LOVE your build. The creativity is inspiring.
    As to the vents, I would go with the two in the quarter windows, but I would also mount a rear view camera on the roof (maybe in a small shark fin?) and use an LCD display in the cockpit as opposed to a mirror.

A tip when designing... remember the golden ratio 1.6:1
    Almost every professional designer/photographer/artist uses this ratio, whether consciously or unconsciously. It's prevalent in virtually all major advertising graphics for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Taz!

I have a big hole behind the B- pillar since I moved the cabin forward. And the new cabin contour is different than the sides of the FFR roof.

Time to address it. Slid the body back to get it out of the way. To re-create the contour, I bought some 1/16" abs sheet which conforms nicely without collapsing. Hot glued it to the roll bar and B- pillar.

Gave it a coat of wax and applied some mat. We'll see how it turns out.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I love all the custom fab work and when a concept comes together. It should look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkviper View Post
    I love all the custom fab work and when a concept comes together. It should look great.
    Thanks!

Snuck out to the shop to lay up side 'b'.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT BUILD! LOVE that you're taking it to yet ANOTHER level. AWESOME. Major props for being self-taught, too. That takes some serious ambition. I wish I had my skill set with you shop space and tools, wow! One day... haha.

Scoops: The roof is pretty essential to a low drag coefficient, I would mount on quarters and leave the roof slicker than a wet fish. LOVE the "brain's blown out" remove-able roof, as they call it on Supras here in Northern CA.

Front Bumper: Doesn't closing the center render your hood relief/vent useless? That center vent and hood relief provide TONS of downforce to the front of the vehicle. If air has no where to go, and doesn't provide down force, the front end of your car will become a giant wing at speed... which is bad.

Subscribed and looking forward to more!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,
    Thanks for the encouraging words!
    I was actually just out there staring at that darn hood vent... If I end up with dual radiators, it needs to be removed.
    I agree that the vent is absolutely needed in the typical build, and I will keep it if I do a single central radiator. The only role of a hood vent is to get pressurized air out from underneath so that it doesn't cause lift. If I do the twin radiators, no air will be allowed under the hood, it will only go into the wheel wells.
    Good luck with the Coupe build! I love those things!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good point! LOVE all the creativity in your build! Looking forward to seeing more! Feel free to drop in and check mine out once it begins. Kit arrives middle of May! CAN'T WAIT!!! (Link in my sig in case you didn't already notice).
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Diet time! Where is the best place to put the ECU/PCM? Any reason not to put it in the cockpit?

Last edited by beeman; 02-24-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're using a C5 donor harness, you might as well put the ECU where FFR designed.....above the RH fuel tank in the engine compartment.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're right Shane. I was wondering if I should protect it from engine bay heat, but I probably wouldn't have enough wire slack to run it through the firewall anyways...
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good! Impressive fabrication skills!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MLC_LS1 View Post
    Lookin good! Impressive fabrication skills!
    Thanks!

Got the engine and tranny in! One of the Lingenfelter guys kindly gave me a hand. His first time doing an LS/porsche hybrid, but he did work on an LS/'Lamborghini' hybrid in the.... Falcon F7! He found his way around the g96 pretty quickly for his first time seeing one. I think someone asked me earlier in this thread why I went with LPE over a crate motor from GM...
    How many bolts hold the porsche tranny mount to the GTM subframe? Looks like one central bolt in the build manual, but the mount on my g96 has offset holes for 2 bolts?
    I didn't receive axles with my kit if anyone has a pair they want to sell.

Last edited by beeman; 03-26-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mocking up the Kooks exhaust system. Is there a decent amount of up/down play in the couplings to center get the exhaust centered in the cutouts? Can anyone tell me their distance between the gearbox subframe rear 1" tube and the underside of the exhaust?

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't help you with those measurements but I will say that the exhaust is looking killer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Loosening the band clamps at the x-pipe and the flange bolts between the cat pipes and header gives a good amount of play at the exhaust tips. You should be able to arrange the tips where you need them. For me, the bottom of the passenger side muffler (the only one I measured) sits nearly exactly 1" above the 1" subframe tubing.

IMG_6032.JPG

-Michael
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLD JUNE 2018 - GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.

Not-up-to-date Build Site: http://rumrunnergtm.weebly.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Dallas - yes the Kooks is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship!
    Michael - thanks for measuring that, it will get me in the ballpark!

I'm not thrilled about the FFR supplied alternator mount. Just ordered GM parts to install the CTS-V alternator in the CTS-V location, there's a great thread about this mod elsewhere.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    If I never emailed you my official installation instructions for the Kooks system, shoot me an email and I'll send a copy your way. It doesn't necessarily answer any of the questions you're asking here, but might help with getting it positioned where you need it.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Shane! Sending you a PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Modifying the g96 gearbox subframe. Added a new 1" crossbar. Then will add support bars like the yellow lines in the 2nd picture. Does that seem beefy enough?
    Will finish welding between the tubes after I get some welds done underneath.

Last edited by beeman; 03-31-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the last few hours fabricating the g96 gearbox subframe. Recycled the FFR mounts. Turned out awesome. On to the next step!

Attached Images Attached Images
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of guys are doing a 'firewall forward' mod on their roadsters, why not try it on the GTM. If I'm going to run coolant lines outside the cockpit, I need space between the gas tanks and the firewall. Plus I can add some much needed firewall insulation. I think 3 or so inches at the bottom to make plenty of room for coolant lines, tapering to 1-2 inches at the top should be sufficient. Thoughts? What type of insulation could I use? Maybe a thin aluminum false firewall on the engine bay side sandwiching the insulation.

My goal is to fab HVAC into the yellow area. Heater would be easy, hoping to squeeze an a/c evaporator in there too!

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea.
    Even 1/4" of air gap makes a big difference in the transfer of heat. Extra insulation will only help.
    I use EZ Cool, but there are many different options.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast