Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  73
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Making progress on my build...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's low; it would be tough going up steep driveways.

Function over form, or form over function? :/
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I'd only run it that low on the track and will still trim up the edges some.
    Here's another pic of a successful design.

Last edited by beeman; 01-17-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    You should know that you will likely see some changes to the FFR PDG GTM as far as the diffuser is concerned this year. This is not due to functionality, but because most governing bodies require that the diffuser not protrude past the rear bodywork of the car. (see most other examples posted above) Since we will be running some other race series this year, we will likely have to change the diffuser and possibly the splitter as well. Again, many series rules have a limit as to how much a splitter can extend past the front of the car.

As I have mentioned in the past, when looking at other examples of people doing something on a race car it is important to understand not only what you are seeing, but the context, as far as rules are concerned that maybe limits what the builder is able to do.

What I have done on the FFR PDG GTM and is shown in that picture is essentially lengthen the body in the rear via wing and diffuser placement.
    Last edited by crash; 01-17-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. I was actually pretty impressed by the size of the splitter. Are there restrictions in the unlimited class? You could always follow McLaren and do a 'longtail' bodywork mod.

Funny, I've been thinking about a rear trunk since I made this render back in 2011..

Plenty of room for a pair of duffel bags on EACH side.

You say you need 10 of the 5qt Mobil 1 oil and 4 gallons of antifreeze from the auto parts store? Leave the truck at home next time and put half your haul in each trunk with room to spare (although I wouldn't put that much weight in the trunks).

Last edited by beeman; 01-17-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Bee

The blue Cobra look great, been trying to decided how I want my doors to open do great to see you trying new ideas, keep it up as I am interested in how they come out. I was looking a some type of lambo hinge but still not sure yet..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks James!

Someone up north did lambo door hinges and had a lot of trouble making it work, maybe it was Tino? My doors are basically Honda and I deleted the front wheel vent, I think it was the wheel vent that gave him the trouble?
    Last edited by beeman; 01-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the blue cobra!!!!

Yup, its Tino in Canada that did Lambo style doors on his GTM. I remember reading that as one of the first build threads I was reading before I ordered my kit. He is a very nice guy and answered all my newbie questions early on, so I'm sure he would be glad to share more about his door setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Thanks Mike. I was actually pretty impressed by the size of the splitter. Are there restrictions in the unlimited class? You could always follow McLaren and do a 'longtail' bodywork mod.
    For the endurance racing things are wide open, but the FFR PDG GTM is looking to run a full season of Trans-Am this year. They allowed us to run two races without making changes, but now they want us to conform to the rules. They are very particular. We are making some changes. Mainly to the wing, splitter and diffuser.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the axles done.
    Started by prepping the Porsche CVs per Crash's video with his air grinder attachment. Man, what a difference. Definitely going to keep some metal debris out of the CVs.

Went with about a 50/50 mix of BelRay and Swepco 101. They look similar but the Swepco is thicker.

As discussed in another thread, I broke down and made a tool for installing the Corvette CVs over the c-clip. Turned a painful, messy procedure into a chip shot. I'm mailing the tool to Shoeless, get ahold of him if you need it.

These RioRand DC motor controllers are great for HVAC fans, infinitely adjustable instead of 3 or 4 fixed speeds. Running one for passengers, one for windshield defog. Printed a simple mount that will zip tie to the chassis.

Last edited by beeman; 02-04-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Some little things here and there. Mocking up the three-point seat belt for the driver's side. This will be interesting, both the driver and passenger side 3 point seat belts will come from right to left. In the Cobra, I only have five point seat belts. And sometimes it's nice to just hop in and go, so I definitely wanted 3 point seat belts as well. These are Toyota.

Confirming ergonomics, just about ready to wrap up wiring, literally.

Headlights are back together and sealed with LED low / high beams and LED Switchback DRL / turn signals.

Porsche Le Mans ignition location for quick departures...

Last edited by beeman; 03-14-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to slide a tablet in the red center console piece or were you using to to check for and function before you do a permanent setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that is a temporary tablet bezel, printed it part of the way up so I could check fitment, final bezel will be full surround, at least that's the plan at this point.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    3 point seat belt mounting studs welded in. I was able to tie into the driver's harness bar for the shoulder portion. Just need to either weld or 3d print guides on either side of the shoulder strap to keep it from sliding around and pretty it up a little.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that is a temporary tablet bezel, printed it part of the way up so I could check fitment, final bezel will be full surround, at least that's the plan at this point.
    Very nice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    Needs some tweaking, made a quick print from some lousy measurements, but this is the idea...

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman, on this rainy southern western Ohio day I spent it reading and being amazed by your build. Not only is your build very interesting but the pics, your writing and documentation of what you are trying to do are very well done. Also of note is your skill and skill set increasing over time. Thanks for the time you took and are taking as you continue to completion. Very excited to see the progress to come!

Matt

17. Thanks beeman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Matt!

Took a little more time and did it right the second time.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    3-D printing is a a completely new way to take a look at parts, and its fun as well. Make toys of grand kid's as well as parts. It amazes me to watch you are doing in your build. You will have a car no one has ever see before and I bet I will really stand out as a one of one. Keep up the great work and I will keep checking the progress, think you have posted and lessons learned along the way help all of us builder out. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I love me some 3D printing, especially since I spent the last two years at work on a killer project. Now that patents have been filed and we are about to make a public notice, I can share a little bit about it. If you get bored take a look at the below video of the P&W TJ150 Engine. Our project was to 3D print the entire static hot section of this engine and then perform engine testing. We combined the Diffuser, Turbine Nozzle, Combustor, Fuel Manifold/Injectors, Exhaust, and Combustor case into one 3D printed part. We successfully reduced the part count by 99% and ran up to temps in excess of 2000 deg F and ran it more than twice the mission life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0PhkRYbBs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I love me some 3D printing, especially since I spent the last two years at work on a killer project. Now that patents have been filed and we are about to make a public notice, I can share a little bit about it. If you get bored take a look at the below video of the P&W TJ150 Engine. Our project was to 3D print the entire static hot section of this engine and then perform engine testing. We combined the Diffuser, Turbine Nozzle, Combustor, Fuel Manifold/Injectors, Exhaust, and Combustor case into one 3D printed part. We successfully reduced the part count by 99% and ran up to temps in excess of 2000 deg F and ran it more than twice the mission life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0PhkRYbBs
    It's amazing that additive manufacturing can have that kind of strength and durability. Maybe one day that type of machine will be in people's homes. Any idea what that machine costs? I've mentioned it before, I saw an early 3D printer about 15 years ago at a biotechnology company for prototyping that I don't believe had much more capability than mine. They paid close to $500,000 for it! So we're at 1/500 the cost in a little over a decade...
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    It's amazing that additive manufacturing can have that kind of strength and durability. Maybe one day that type of machine will be in people's homes. Any idea what that machine costs? I've mentioned it before, I saw an early 3D printer about 15 years ago at a biotechnology company for prototyping that I don't believe had much more capability than mine. They paid close to $500,000 for it! So we're at 1/500 the cost in a little over a decade...
    It is pretty amazing the capability that is out there. We printed these engine parts on an SLM280 machine out of Inco 625 and I would say this equipment setup was in the neighborhood of $1 million. That's not including the heat treat furnaces to perform stress relieve, solution heat treat, and HIP (Hot Isostatic Press). I wish I could share the CFD, but its highly proprietary,the stresses this system handled were absolutely amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now you need to install some on your GTM.

very cool project.

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered some resin and CF, mainly for skinning parts. I can't believe it, $18 a yard for 50" CF, seems like a steal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-yards-Ca...e/112578264618
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait to start messing around with CF skinning and vacuum bagging some parts. Looking forward to what you are working on.

BTW, I pulled out axles out of the boxes today and inventoried all the parts to put it all together. Looking like I'll be able to start working on them this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI - you can start a nice vacuum bagging setup with the vacuum pump sold at harbor freight. Just buy a few fittings and hose from a composites warehouse and you’re good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Modifying cabin means I need to seal it from the engine bay. Should be a much better seal than as-delivered. Making interior templates. Will be 040 aluminum/lightweight thermal-noise barrier/Alcantara interior.

Twin fan heater core. One fan for cabin, 2nd for dedicated windshield defog. Marine exhaust fans. These move a ton of air.

Last edited by beeman; 03-22-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    3D print and engineers dream and a great design tool, really like seeing them being used outside industrial setting to help builder like us in a private setting. Keep the ideas flowing and I will keep reading your design changes and build that is completely off the wall you your own design...

Post Thanks / Like
    I fabricated a male hatch latch, the receiver is Toyota Celica. Bonded it to the hatch. Tomorrow it will get a few layers of fiberglass cloth to complete the construction.

Interior paneling is coming along, it is 040 aluminum, I corrected that above. This Harbor Freight electric metal shear is great, it cuts like butter. Will smooth everything out once it is cleco'd in. Ordered another 50 clecos, ebay has used ones $25/50.

Last edited by beeman; 03-22-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Done panel beating for a while. This was one of those projects that I was not at all looking forward to, I'm really happy with how it turned out. No fumes will be coming forward.

Will do some form of roll bar padding over the entryway unless someone has a better idea. Here's the kit Longacre pad for an idea.

Modified the seat belt guide to replicate OEM to smooth out the belt travel and eliminate any binding.

No airbags in the GTM obviously, so I'm using rear seat 3 point belts. I'd be careful with OEM seat belts that are designed in conjunction with an airbag (like the C5). Most of the OEMs have a warning sticker on the belt reel like this C6 belt:

Last edited by beeman; 03-24-2020 at 02:29 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Few updates, finished fiberglassing the trunk latch. It sits right above the Kooks crossover, so I'll need to do something drastic to remedy that

Another jig for the 350z Roadster hinges, this time for the rear luggage trunk. Waiting for the 3M 8115 to arrive to bond them.

Taillights are wired up and functional! Hooked up the battery to test. Still the rough prototype housing.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

32. Likes dlud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the main rear hatch, I didn't countersink the rivnuts into the fiberglass so I made some aluminum plates to spread out the hinge forces. I should have just recessed the rivnuts...

Attached Images Attached Images
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the trunk hinge plate/studs finished and etch primed, prior to priming I used a cutoff wheel to create a cross hatch pattern for more bite.

The 8115 is a cinch to use, 90 min working time. Hand mixed it. To bond the 2 plates, I used about 15% of the cartridge and even wasted about 25-30% of what I mixed up. So it should last a long time.
    To keep the mix correct, I measured the plunger depths.

Cleco'd for positioning plus a couple added clamps. Can handle in 4 hours. So should be able to apply overlying glass this afternoon.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

35. Likes dlud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made a couple stud plates for the trunk hinge mounts.

Tacked in the hinge mount plates, 1/2" square tubing frame. Verifying geometry. Will add some triangulation.

The crossbar is a temporary alignment jig.

Oh yeah, the hatch opening narrows as you move aft. Oops. Just had to clearance the body flange minimally.

Last edited by beeman; 04-04-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this a lot.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

38. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, building this was as painful as it looks.

I'm almost embarrassed to post this pic, but it shows the complexity of incorporating the C5 gauge cluster in a Honda dash. I've cleaned up worse rat nests...

Everything seems to be functional at this point. I have an unhappy DIC full of warning messages. As it should be. I was glad to see it start firing off orders at me.

Last edited by beeman; 04-05-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to bodywork, we're getting some great weather this week so the shop door is open.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    That rear dual hatch is pretty slick, but the wiring makes my head hurt LOL. “SERVICE VEHILE SOON” had to laugh a bit on that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fitting passenger seat this afternoon. Again, converting reclining seat to fixed back.

Leaving plenty of room behind the seat for hvac. Perhaps a cubby or glove box, but there's already front and rear trunks...

Matching driver's side geometry.

Last edited by beeman; 04-09-2020 at 03:50 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to arts and crafts time. Created a single fender vent in CAD, was initially thinking parallel, even vents. But I changed that to slightly angled vents (angled away from the cabin slightly) and tapering in size. Printed the first vent, mocked up the additional vents with paper, then back into CAD to create each vent. The remaining vents are on the printer now.

So I've pretty much convinced myself that I will be making molds of my hood and fascia due to the amount of changes made and body filler/fiberglass layers added.

Last edited by beeman; 04-10-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

44. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this works. Does anyone think anything looks off with the vent layout or position? I just laid them on this morning, will contour them and blend them in. The nice thing about PLA is that it softens easily with a heat gun to contour to the fender.

Last edited by beeman; 04-11-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast