Thanks for the vote of configence, guys. Here are a few more pictures of recent progress. I got the lower bars and the top uprights welded in solid. As with the bottom uprights, I squared the top uprights on the lower bar with 90 degree magnets, then laid a tube over them to align them front-to-back, then clamped the whole mess in place with welding clamps and adjusted it with the carpenter's square in the pics until they were square with the frame. I made the process a little easier by grinding a "V" notch into both ends of the welding clamps so that they bit into the tubing, as opposed to sliding around and making me pull my hair out. If I did it again, I'd make both uprights 4.5," rather than 4" on the bottom and 5" on the top, as even measurements would look more uniform. If you go much higher than 4.5" on the bottom uprights, it makes it hard to weld around the 1" square body mount tube.

On each side, I put an upright which was a few thousandths short in the middle, and put the perfect ones at the front and back. As with the lower uprights, having the top ones welded solid will make fitting the upper door bar much simpler - just place the top bar in place and rotate it upwards, then trim to fit. I elected to keep the bars inside the cockpit to reduce the need for fiberglass work, although I have some real concerns that interior space will be very tight compared to the Spec Coupe design. We'll see how it works out.

Top Uprights Jigged in Place.JPG

Top Uprights Jigged in Place 2.JPG

Top Uprights Jigged in Place 3.JPG

Top Uprights Jigged in Place 4.JPG

Top Uprights Jigged in Place 5.JPG

Top Uprights Welded Solid 1.JPG

Top Uprights Welded Solid 2.JPG