FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ignition box or mechanical??

Post Thanks / Like

Ignition box or mechanical??

So I'm going to be running an MSD 8584 on my 351W. I was thinking about running a MSD Street Fire #5520 with it. Does anyone see any problems with this combo. And one quick question. On our 56' T bird we run a Pertronix Ignitor setup. Would this be a more compact way to get electronic ignition or am I over thinking it and just mount the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the MSD will provide a better performance package. The Pertronix is a nice step up from points and with a good coil will get the job done.
    When the MSD box goes bad, you are not going anywhere and on a road trip you might have difficulty finding a replacement. Do not know why, but some last forever and some are short lived.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How About Neither!

Davis Unified Ignition (aka: Performance Distributor) makes H.E.I. set ups for all sorts of Fords including Flat Heads if you want to avoid having a separate ignition box; however, they don't have corrected caps for those applications. RPM range is good up to 7,500.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-24-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can the ignitor unit work with the msd distributor that my builder is using? If it can that's probably the route I will take. It has worked flawless in several applications for us over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    Can the ignitor unit work with the msd distributor that my builder is using? If it can that's probably the route I will take. It has worked flawless in several applications for us over the years.
    I don't know.
    I'm not that ignition system savvy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try and call pertronix and see what they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    No go on the ignitor. They don't have an application for my distributor.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Run the MSD box. MSD does make a "ready to run" distributor for your engine that needs no box as it's integrated into the distributor. However, at $500 it's not much different in cost between your distributor and the required box. But if you like simple talk to your engine builder about a ready to run MSD distributor instead of the 8584.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went ahead and got an msd 6al and blaster 2 coil. Thanks for the help fellas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget to join AAA.

MSD boxes are probably the #1 cause of a Cobra going home on a flatbed. You can read thread after thread on this and the other forum. Yes, some of you guys have had them for 10+ years. I would argue that 10+ years ago, they made quality components. Unfortunately now they are not a dependable component. Do you want the cool-looking red box that bad? I'll admit I wanted one. After I read a dozen or so MSD "ride of shame" threads, I changed my mind.

Any reason you are tied to that distributor? Why not run a Pertronix Flame-Thrower III billet distributor? Multi-spark through the entire RPM range (MSD doesn't), and a rev limiter. All under a normal size distributor cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mainly because my distributer has already been purchased, installed and is currently being dyno'd. So being that it's suspect, what would you recommend. I havnt opened the box yet. It's sitting waiting on the engine to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have an axe to grind with MSD. Actually, Mallory Unilite let me down years ago on a 66 Mustang. Any distributor / coil / and maybe a box combo will make spark plugs go. So look at features and dependability.

I would recommend doing more reading. I was headed down the MSD AL6 path myself. When I saw the many failure threads, it scared me. I also asked the guy at Fordstrokers. His comment was "If you opened an MSD and Crane , you would throw the MSD in the trash." So that is a vote for the Crane boxes from someone who builds hundreds of engines. I liked the features and simple install of Pertronix. It is my first one and I have 10k miles, and about 100 autocross runs, so the rev limiter is well tested. But that is hardly a long term test.

I just hate to see one of us on a flatbed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick an OEM Ford Duraspark on it and forget about it for 100K miles. Don't make me give my "Quit trying to use race car parts on a street car" lecture again.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. The distributor is a done deal. I'm trying to get something reliable to work with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    That distributor requires an ignition box, so if you already have the distributor then stay with the 6AL for simplicity.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I'm thinking. If I have issues I'll go duraspark all the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, you may be fine for years. I agree with bobl about not mixing components unless you really know what you are doing.
    You need AAA anyway, no spare tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pertronix here and no MSD box. I remember speaking to Mike Forte about a MSD box and he said, "why bother, it's just another part that will break down." Search on here and the other forum and his words are accurate.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Stick an OEM Ford Duraspark on it and forget about it for 100K miles. Don't make me give my "Quit trying to use race car parts on a street car" lecture again.

Jeff
    Amen Brother Jeff!

That's one of the reasons why I went with an H.E.I. from Performance Distributor.
    If form follows function, then things often end up easy to work on in the end.
    My Dad, a Naval Architect by trade, always told me to K.I.S.S. it.

K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid

Good Luck To All & Have A Great Day!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-25-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No AAA here. I have a good friend that has a wrecker service!!