Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Requesting Your Seat Slider Mount Designs Please

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Requesting Your Seat Slider Mount Designs Please

Hey Gang,

> I'm getting ready to fab up my seat slider brackets & thought it would be a good idea to reach out to you all for obvious reasons.
    > What I'm trying to find out is what most of you have done so that I don't reinvent the wheel or the seat sliders in this case.
    > I'm using a set that I got from Bestop for Jeeps that I'm modifying to fit the width of the F.F.R. Big & Tall Leather seats.

NOTE: I need a lot of adjustment distance for both seats because my family members range in height form 4'11" to 6'4".

Thanks-N-Advance,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    See my build thread. Exact same scenario

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Will Do & Thanks!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Duke,

I found the pics & they really help!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are looking at changing the seat angle. WHY do the passenger seat? If you are, longer bolts and spacers work well. Just trying to save you a few dollars.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    Unless you are looking at changing the seat angle. WHY do the passenger seat? If you are, longer bolts and spacers work well. Just trying to save you a few dollars.
    Thanks for wanting to help me save a few dollars; however, I'm crazy about symmetry.
    Regarding saving a few dollars, I saved a bunch going with the 383 Chevy & ZF 6-Speed since I had those parts lying around since Hurricane Katrina. (August 2005)

Post Thanks / Like
    Two things:
    1. Even with the low backs it's prudent to determine their placement with the body on. While not as critical as with the high backs it is still possible to have the top corner of the seat hit the body where it curves around to the back if you get them set too far to the outside. This becomes more likely with the additional height from the sliders.

2. No matter what brand of sliders you're using they need to be parallel to the tunnel so that the seat remains equidistant from it when moved fore and aft. If the track is set in straight ahead the front corner seat will collide with the ever widening tunnel when moved forward.

While fitting the owner to this car he was most comfortable with the seat turned just a bit to be parallel with the steering wheel (you might not realize it now but the wheel actually angles to the center of the car---and the pedals are slightly off to the left!). I made some simple brackets to attach the seat to the adjuster and you'll probably have to get creative and do something similar.

Here is the seat all the way back:

And all the way forward:

Notice how it is the same distance from the tunnel in both positions.

I agree with Doug and don't see a need to make the passenger side adjustable but of course you do want them to match side to side. On the car in the photos the passenger seat is fixed, set at the same angle and mounted on 1" square aluminum tubing to match the driver's seat height. BTW, this is the only one I've ever built with an adjustable seat and the owner reports that it has been adjusted exactly once---when he came to pick it up

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    So my kids (and passengers) can reach the foot rest I built so they are more comfortable:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Duke & Jeff

Thanks Gentlemen!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bolted the passenger seat to the floor. I have short legs so I had to make the drivers side adjustable. I did not like the adjuster handle on the outside and would have to bend the arm. I swapped sides and made the adjuster a push type instead of a pull type for the other side. This puts the handle on the inside of the seat. I used a rod with heim joints instead of a cable. Works great. To bad nobody will ever see it. I do have some pictures somewhere.

Last edited by Toy4me; 01-25-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4me View Post
    I bolted the passenger seat to the floor. I have short legs so I had to make the drivers side adjustable. I did not like the adjuster handle on the outside and would have to bend the arm. I swapped sides and made the adjuster a push type instead of a pull type for the other side. This puts the handle on the inside of the seat. I used a rod with heim joints instead of a cable. Works great. To bad nobody will ever see it. I do have some pictures somewhere.

That's why I ordered the sliders from "Bestop" instead.
    The adjustment bar is attached to both sides and pulls up.
    You just need to cut & modify it a bit so that you can reduce the width.
    They were Powder Coated too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steven,

Being 6'4" I would advise you check your seat height with the body on and windshield installed. A seat track under your seat will likely have your eyes above the top of the windshield.

Mark Reynolds
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jeep seat adjuster is a very nice piece but pricy. That said from a user point of view the $30 odd dollar sliders from Jeg's or Summit (Jeff's Picture) work well. Found once I had the correct position I have not changed it in 18 months, about 7500 miles. Passenger seat is bolted in.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Steven,

Being 6'4" I would advise you check your seat height with the body on and windshield installed. A seat track under your seat will likely have your eyes above the top of the windshield.

Mark Reynolds
    I've already checked that issue and I'm A-Okay, with what I've come up with so far, plus I have the Big & Tall Seats which sit a tad lower.
    Also, I'm 5'10" and it is my brother and likely future son in law are both 6'4".

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    I have actually never adjusted my driver seat and wish I had just bolted it down to begin with. The slider forced me to find new bolting points instead of just into the seat pan. I had to tap one into the 4 inch tube and another in the frame just above the rear lower control arm attachment. All that for a seat I have never adjusted! I'm 5'9" and the seat is nearly all the way back so even if someone wants to adjust it I'm not sure they gain much.

I used the FFR adjuster and I found the quality to be just OK. I would recommend another brand. However, it has two good features: 1) it is very thin so you really don't have to worry about the seat being raised up and 2) it has a front pull that is easy to get to.

Passenger side - once I fit my wife to it and she was near the back as well I decide to just bolt it in. Now it is even with my seat too. I decided against sliders for others because she will be my primary (and most important) passenger.

Good luck getting Bernard in there comfortably!!! I hope he fits.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post
    Steve,
    Good luck getting Bernard in there comfortably!!! I hope he fits.
    Davey, Brenton & Jarrett will likely be driving this thing, but getting Bernard comfy, hummmmm ?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-? maybe in the passenger seat since his feet don't fit in the drivers side foot box very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents to an interesting conversation: skip the adjustment. Set the seat so it fits you and tell everybody else that you are the only one who can drive it!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    My 2 cents to an interesting conversation: skip the adjustment. Set the seat so it fits you and tell everybody else that you are the only one who can drive it!
    The issue is we are A Car Crazy Family and tend to hop into each other rides from time to time.
    Brother 1999 Mecham 427 T/A, Son 2000 Camaro, Wife 2012 Challenger, Daughter's Boy Friend 1955 Chevy Pick Up Truck.
    Add in the fact that my lovely better half is my designated driver means that seat needs to scoot, even if she is wearing heels.
    Gotta Get Home Safe & Sound Since Bourbon Street Is Only 1.5 Blocks Away From My Office So: . . . . . .
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-26-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked w/ your insurance company yet? My wife and I are the only ones allowed to drive my FFR.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Have you checked w/ your insurance company yet? My wife and I are the only ones allowed to drive my FFR.
    Yep & We Are A-Okay!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good I just wanted to be sure. As I said my wife and I were listed as the only drivers on ours. And then they wanted another paper signed by wife and I stating that our 22 yr old daughter, away at college at the time, was specifically prohibited from driving. W/ insurance companies, one never knows.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.