Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lack of spare tire options?

Post Thanks / Like

Lack of spare tire options?

My car will be driven quite a bit on long hauls around the west once I get her done. I've used runflats before and don't want them on this hot rod. I will have road service of course but I want an extra bit of insurance to cover that flat in the middle of nowhere, Nevada. Are modern "flat fix in a can" products suitable? If I carry some tire plugs, glue, and the tools, will CO2 cartriges work to inflate a tire as large as 255/45-18? Should I carry a 12v pump and if so, recommendations? Thanks gang!
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 01-28-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I carry tire plugs and a 12 compressor.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    As an avid off roader and former desert racer I have lots of experience with breakdowns in remote places. I always carry a couple cans of flat fix, and a tire plug kit and these have got me out of some bad spots. A small 12VDC air pump is handy as the flat fix may not inflate your tire enough. Buy a small cheap Harbor Freight pump and consider it a throw away after a couple of uses. Yes there are better ones out there but they are substantially bigger and heavier and you don't have a lot of space in that little car. Very seldom do I purchase cheap tools but this is one time that the made in China tool is my first choice. And always bring your AAA card -- don't leave home without it.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We've got 12-Volt Air Compressors in all of the cars and plug kits too.
    Home Depot had the compressors for a nice price so everybody in the house got one for Christmas.
    Add a set of inexpensive pliers (Cutting, Needle Nose, Standard & Channel Locks) and you are typically in good shape to fix most punctures.
    While my driving minions weren't too thrilled about this stocking stuffer, the GoDad thought it was a good gift to keep them Going!

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry a compact spare. It was from an Edge IIRC and cost $35-50 at a salvage yard
    At 4.5" wide it will fit in my trunk but I moved my fuel tank so YRMV
    Its a T165 80 D 17 so it also clears my 13" rotors

Spare tire, yet one more reason to ditch the FF fuel tank.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    My mini has no spare so have always had 12v pump and plug kit, most of the time put in air and go get it fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done several blistering hot summer cross country tours. I carry plugs and the special tool, and bought a small 12v compressor from Honda (for use on ATVs) but can produce 100 psi......more than needed. I feel confident I can made roadside repairs for small punctures. Anything more severe will mean a call to CAA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never had a car without a spare.
    Never used fix a flat.
    Was planning to have a couple cans in my trunk kit. Is this inadequate for an emergency repair and to get me 10 miles or so?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you need to talk to Erik Hansen about adding something like this to your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over one third of new cars now no longer include a spare tire. Some have run flats, but much more common is an inflator and sealant. These are typically integrated into a single unit and are actually pretty nice if you can find one. I remember some years ago seeing a pre-production Chevy Volt at a business conference. A GM executive was giving a speech and brought the car for us to see. The company I worked for had a lot of content in that car, so we looked it over very closely. I immediately noticed it didn't have a spare and only a pump and sealant. Wasn't as common then, but much more now. I carry a pump and sealant in my Roadster, but would only use it as a last option. Spare tire is out of the question.

One thing to keep in mind if you figure out how to carry a spare tire is how you're going to jack it up with a flat tire. The frames on these cars are so low that with a flat it's not going to be easy to raise it to make the change. Probably some type of low profile bottle jack. More weight and space...
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I gave thought to the bike rack but figured it would get in the way of the 10,000lb winch that gies back there!
    Seriously, the idea of a combined pump, plug kit, and selection of plugs should give one plenty of comfort on a long drive. I thought about various jacking options and will probably carry the tiniest bottle jack I can find. Thank you all for the help. Tom