Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  114
Likes Likes:  679
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Mobile 1 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Star Mobile 1 Build

So after much deliberation, the culmination of (thankful) feedback & input from many of you & the timeliness of a sale from FFR...I pulled the trigger on the purchase of my 33' FFR Hotrod...aka Star Mobile One (see avatar) on Thursday of this last week. I will pause for a moment here so all the Cowboy jokes can be voiced................Yes, I am a Cowboy faithful, through & through, in good times & bad, for as far back as I can remember, so, at least at this point, my 33' will carry a Cowboys theme. It's already been suggested that I just paint the car silver and put a magnetic star on it, so I can remove it when they lose late in the season (this would be difficult unless I opted for the new steel body, but I understand the jist). And yes it does weaken my heart slightly to know that SM1 will be birthed in the heart of Patriot country! But what can I say, other than good thing they aren't responsible for inflating the tires...& that will be the extent of my dismay.
    I am not, nor pretend to be, gear head by nature, but I have always been an admirer of cars (older models rather than newer, but I do love the new technology) & those that had the expertise & knowledge to work on them. I also must admit that left to my own guidance of piecing an entire vehicle together, well let's just say it would not be pretty. However, for the last year I have been on a search to find a hobby. Something that will challenge me, but will also stoke the fire of pride. My wife paraphrases all of this as just "keeping me busy" (she'd prefer I find a hobby that generates money rather than something that sucks every last penny we have away from us), but she still wants me to do something I enjoy in my free time & I have moved forward with her blessing. Her only request was that it be "hardtop" capable and have AC. So I stumbled onto FFR's website one day. Low and behold, not only is there a kit car out there that has a little bit of style, but it comes complete with instructions (I know, some of the instructions are a bit questionable, but believe me, in my case some are better than none). After doing a several months of research...I was hooked!
    So I really appreciate (and enjoy) the build threads that so many of you have taken the time to put together. They are a blast to read and it's amazing to see what so many of you have been able to accomplish. It's incredible to see the many variations of the same vehicle that have been done and no two alike. I find myself re-reading them often & finding something new everytime. I am hoping to document my build here as well, if the committment of the build alone isn't too overwhelming for me. I don't know how informational a documented build by someone that doesn't know what they are doing is, but it should at least be fun, maybe even comical at times. SM1 is scheduled to be delivered by Stewart at the end of March to early April. I know we are still a ways off, but I think there is still plenty to do. I am scheduled for build school the first week of March, so I am hoping that will be a good investment and will help me be successful with my build. Until then I have a shop to get ready as I am actually looking at installing a lift, and it gives me lots of time to second guess the choices I've made. As always, I am open to your feedback, input, thoughts, opinions and criticisms (remember, it's easier to be critical than correct). Here's to making it to the other side!

Conceptual pics for Star Mobile 1 Coupe...Sample G Coupe Crop.jpg

Conceptual pic for Star Mobile 1 Roadster...Sample G Roadster Crop.jpg

Future home of SM1...IMG_2767.JPG

Layout for Auto Lift (white tape)...IMG_2768.JPG
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations JOP33 !!! Drawings and garage look great. Have fun with the build.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the garage! Cars nice too!! Assuming the big screen is there someplace?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lift gets installed next Thursday...I think this will be a good investment!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello-

Welcome to the forum, and building an awesome car! I really like the design concept you put together, and am jealous of your garage; even more after you get the lift installed!

At least being a Cowboys fan, you have experienced plenty of ups and downs, so you will be used to the see saw that is building your own car. I'm more of a Staubach fan than a Cowboys fan, but I understand the passion!

I look forward to watching as you go along. Best of luck!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Hello-

Welcome to the forum, and building an awesome car! I really like the design concept you put together, and am jealous of your garage; even more after you get the lift installed!

At least being a Cowboys fan, you have experienced plenty of ups and downs, so you will be used to the see saw that is building your own car. I'm more of a Staubach fan than a Cowboys fan, but I understand the passion!

I look forward to watching as you go along. Best of luck!

Regards,

Steve
    Hit the nail on the head there, Steve!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finding myself questioning every choice on my order. I'm assuming this is pretty normal. I've spent the last few days blitzing back through some previous threads looking for details about specific items and re-reading my notes. I'm waffling all over the place! Probably going call to FFR today and change a couple items...then I've promised myself I'm committed (or will need to be committed)!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The longer your build takes the more opportunity for scope growth or morphing the original concept into something different. When you're finished if you don't have a stack of unused parts that were replaced by other parts you're not having as much fun as you could have. None of my projects are ever done until they are sold to a new owner. They always seem to be in a perpetual state of modification like some sort of science project. My cars, my tractors, my trailers -- everything mechanical. The only vehicles I own that are OEM stock are my wife's as I learned a long time ago to leave her stuff alone.

10. Likes Elizabeth @ FormaCars liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    I learned a long time ago to leave her stuff alone.
    That is sage advice my friend!

12. Likes Elizabeth @ FormaCars liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lift installed today!IMG_0051.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the weekend in Detroit with a bunch of great guys at the 33' Build School! I suggest anyone on the fence, thinking about a build or who just wants to get some great information on the FFR vehicles invest in this class. Thanks Charles & Scott for showing us the ends and the outs of the 33' and shout out to a great group of guys!

Group Pic.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Brakes arrived today! So is this the official "start" or "stop" of the build?

IMG_2950.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Had Dan from FFR send me pics of my chassis in the weld jig as well...Chassis.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though that jig is robust there is still a certain amount of heat draw that happens after it comes out of the jig. A lot of bars are tacked there
    then fully welded after it comes out and goes on the rotisserie. The other quirk is that the rear clip< piece behind the pass compartment is 1/4" off center. <That
    is not heat draw. The upper half of my firewall tubing was laying back 1/4" on 1 corner and 1/8" on the other. The point is you should check things with a straight
    edge and establish a centerline while it's a bare chassis and easy to do or fix anything that's far enough off to put up a fight later.

Fun to see it become real though isn't it.
    DB
    426 Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    It's getting real now, isn't it. Cool that Dan sent the picture.

I was so excited waiting for the arrival, it's hard to explain. Worse than a kid waiting for Christmas!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    It's getting real now, isn't it. Cool that Dan sent the picture.

I was so excited waiting for the arrival, it's hard to explain. Worse than a kid waiting for Christmas!

Regards,

Steve
    Definitely Steve...Kit completion should have been Friday. I'm just waiting to hear from Stewart Transport now. In the meantime I was able to kill some time out at the big Goodguys Show at Texas Motor Speedway. There were some beautiful cars out there and a lot of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rearend made it's way into the shop today...My wife will be able to use this crate as my casket if I don't ever finish this build!

IMG_2966.JPGIMG_2967.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool build

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOP33;272501]...My wife will be able to use this crate as my casket if I don't ever finish this build!

Alright, I took a screen shot of this post, just in case it ends up being needed as evidence in the murder trial!! HA

Nice progress, and your wife has a great sense of humor; or a great sense of foreshadowing!! Time will tell... HAHA

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received a call from Jerry, driver for Stewart. My 33' is in route and due here end of next week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations it's getting close! Then get him to hurry back to pick mine up next week!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Congratulations it's getting close! Then get him to hurry back to pick mine up next week!
    Said Texas will be his last leg and has (4) vehicles coming here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Exciting time for sure!! GREAT workspace. You will love the lift! Congrats!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing a little last minute prep to the shop before 33' shows up next week. After discussing with several builders and the experience at build school, I have decided to start the build on jack stands and then move to the lift after I get it rolling. Any opinions on a "good" working height for the jack stands?

Post Thanks / Like
    Received my parts in from Kootenai Valley Customs this week...great parts Tim! I'm sure I will appreciate them more when I have a vehicle to put them on! This waiting is no fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Star Mobile 1 arrived yesterday via Stewart Transport! Like Santa Claus, Jerry from ST sneaked into the neighborhood and offloaded SM1 to its final resting place! Had to have a few Cowboy fans help with unload and to rid off any Patriot Mojo that might have piggy-backed down during the trip! All is good now. Thanks again to all that have inspired and offered your feedback just to get me to this point. Now the real fun begins...inventory! Will post pics soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    Had to have a few Cowboy fans help with unload and to rid off any Patriot Mojo that might have piggy-backed down during the trip!
    Haha, clever!

Good Luck - Looking forward to following along
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Just starting inventory. After all I had heard about the job that FFR does in trying to simplify the inventory process for you, I was a little shocked to see parts that were in bags with no part numbers (at least none that match the inventory sheets), or you just had to try to figure out by the description alone...better than the alternative of no help I guess and still fun!

Stewart arrival...image1.JPG

Wow...lots of boxes!image3.JPG

And then there is this...IMG_3020.JPG

this...IMG_3021.JPG

this...IMG_3023.JPG

and these...IMG_3022.JPG

and last but not least, this...image2.JPG
    Last edited by JOP33; 03-31-2017 at 06:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Jamie, now the fun begins!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a little shocked to see parts that were in bags with no part numbers (at least none that match the inventory sheets),

I just marked those with a sharpie as I translated the inventory to manual decoder. Yes it would be nice if the inventory and the bags matched the manual a little better, but once you get going the paint by numbers isn't too bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    After some time parts are parts! Have Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    So 12 hours and 31 boxes later...inventory is complete. All parts accounted for with the exception of just a handful of non-critical items and a couple back-ordered items. I say non-critical...of all things to short me, it seems FFR left the rivet spacing tool out, seriously! The only damaged part was that beautifully, turbulent, corrugated radiator hose...crushed! Will hit FFR up on Monday for updates on back-orders and make them aware of missing/damaged items. All in all, the process was relatively painless and it really is a good exercise to physically put your hands on most of the items to help become familiar with them...at least IMO. I like the fact that FFR sends about 50 promotional brochures for you to hand out at car shows! Hey, ABC, Always Be Closing, right! I removed all the body panels with the exception of the main body. Tonight I am going to re-introduce myself to the manual, at least the one that was sent with the kit. I had purchased the pdf back in October and received an actual manual at build school last month, but my hopes are the one sent with the kit will be the most up to date. I think my plan is going to be to move forward with marking the panels, remove and then begin the front suspension. I have waffled back and forth on whether I should build the entire car, tear down then powder and paint, but I am going to mock-up through suspension & brakes, then send the chassis and components out for powder. I should be able to tell relatively quickly if that ends up being a good plan...

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent a little more time today than I thought I would have to cleaning up welds around the firewall panels so they would fit. I was able to mark and remove all aluminum panels though. Hopefully onto front suspension and brakes this week.

IMG_3179.JPGIMG_3191.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda scary hearing you had to clean welds to make panels fit nicely.. I ordered my chassis powder coated
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Kinda scary hearing you had to clean welds to make panels fit nicely.. I ordered my chassis powder coated
    I had originally done the same, but after hearing others talk about having to clean up some areas , I decided against it. I think the welds on the large outside tobes got a little wild on them.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can always just throw a little gloss black rustoleum on the grind spots. Or trim the aluminum. Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    You can always just throw a little gloss black rustoleum on the grind spots. Or trim the aluminum. Enjoy
    I was able to trim the aluminum some, but I found that there were welds behind the top firewall panel that were not allowing it to it to sit flush against the chassis. I will mock up the suspension and then send the chassis out for PC, so there shouldn't be any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started the front suspension this evening beginning with the lower control arms. Will try to get uppers together tomorrow. Don't hold back guys if you see something out of place. Haven't put zerks in as this is mainly for mock up at this point before I powder coat.

Bushings...IMG_3207.JPG

LCA's...Lower Front Control Arms 1.JPGLower Front Control Arms 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    Don't hold back guys if you see something out of place.
    Bushings...IMG_3207.JPG
    LCA's...Lower Front Control Arms 1.JPGLower Front Control Arms 2.JPG
    Next step;
    Look at the welds on the chassis where the rear mounting tabs are for the (upper) control arms. On the inside of the shorter tab in
    each pair where the barrel mounts you will likely see that the weld interferes with the lip on the Urethane insert.
    You will probably have to carve off some of the thickness of that flange for about a 1/4 turn so the arm can swing freely through
    it's full range of travel. Some builders have ground off part of that weld but that approach scares me.
    DB

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast