Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  114
Likes Likes:  679
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Mobile 1 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Only a few things done today and really more just for fit up and prepping for paint. As I have mentioned before, I will be handing Star Mobile One off to the painter to complete the majority of the rest of the work...all body panel fit-up, prepping & painting. So part of what I wanted to start doing is just dry fit some components and locate and install (temporarily) the hardware, in hopes of making it just a bit easier on the final install and to familiarize the painter with what hardware goes where (although Kory is the painter that Bill (WRP) used on his Green 33, so I am pretty confident there shouldn't be too many hiccups. So here are just a few pics of the work from today, again nothing has been installed permanently today or in the correct order for that matter ...

Just a couple additional comments, I did opt for Tim Whittaker's (KVC) bushing package for the Trunk, Hood and the Door Hinges. I believe I have them installed correctly now (the washers that is), but I have an email in to Tim to confirm.

Trunk Hinge...
    IMG_5550.jpg

Door Hinge Bushings (Kootenai Valley Customs)...
    IMG_5547 rot.jpg

The top (2) bolts on the Hinge Brackets are (were) extremely difficult for me to get in place due to the slanted geometry of the Brackets, so I ended up shaving the heads down a bit, so they would clear a little bit better. Only the top (2) required this and even then it was still bit of a challenge (and this was a dry fit, can't imagine trying to install with doors in place, etc).

Hinge Bolt Lengths...
    IMG_5552 rot.jpg

Difference between shaved and non-shaved heads...
    IMG_5554 rot.jpg

Top Hinge Bolts that were difficult to get in...
    IMG_5555.jpg

Driver's Side Hinge & Door Bracket dry fit-up...
    IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

Passenger's Side Hinge & Door Bracket dry fit-up...
    IMG_5563.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JOP33; 01-01-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

2. Likes coolair247 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Passenger's Side Hinge & Door Bracket dry fit-up (con't)...
    IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

4. Thanks fostia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOP33;352024]Hope this helps you out...

Thanks so much for pulling off the boot. Unfortunately, the mystery remains. Yours (exact same clip part number and most likely steering rack) appear to be bottoming out on something that mine isn't and it's driving me crazy. Mine are just getting sucked deep into the rack. Do you know on what yours are bottoming out on?

I edited one of your pictures to hopefully show what I'm talking about....

Steering rack spacers 2.jpg

Here's mine. I put 5 spacers on just now and they all went into the rack and didn't bottom out on anything and my tire still hit the a-arm. &*@#^%*&#@^$*@#

DSC06735.jpg
    DSC06734.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fostia View Post

Here's mine. I put 5 spacers on just now and they all went into the rack and didn't bottom out on anything and my tire still hit the a-arm. &*@#^%*&#@^$*@#
    I will check into this tonight and report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fostia View Post

DSC06735.jpg
    DSC06734.jpg
    I am not technically savy with regards to the inner workings of the steering rack, but it appears on mine there is a plastic or rubber "tri-fan" insert that that seems to be retained by the outside slots in the tube and this is what is keeping my spacers from going any further. It looks like on yours that that piece is either not there or has been pushed further down the tube past where the slots would retain it. Sorry it is very difficult to get a good pic of this, but I hope this at least gets you headed in the right direction...

5572_Mod.png

5573_Mod.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    I am not technically savy with regards to the inner workings of the steering rack, but it appears on mine there is a plastic or rubber "tri-fan" insert that that seems to be retained by the outside slots in the tube and this is what is keeping my spacers from going any further. It looks like on yours that that piece is either not there or has been pushed further down the tube past where the slots would retain it. Sorry it is very difficult to get a good pic of this, but I hope this at least gets you headed in the right direction...

5572_Mod.png

5573_Mod.png
    Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. It is much appreciated! I figured something like this was happening. Hopefully it didnt get sucked down in the rack. I think my game plan is to just create some nylon spacers with a larger OD that will hit that lip and pretend i never knew about any a possible retaining clip. Perhaps that clip went to the same place that my inertia switch ball disappeared to ( I noticed my cap had come off the other day and the ball was missing). It seems to always be something....

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a lot of productivity today, just more prep work. I had been contemplating making some kind of cover for my solenoid & my distribution block. Early on I tried to get these two items inside the passenger compartment instead of on the Engine side of the firewall, but my feeling was that with the AC and the Electric Steering Module (and at that time I was also thinking about wiper space, I have since decided on a Mighty Wiper installed on the removable top...thanks Bill) things were just going to be cramped, so I opted to put it on the engine side and it has just been a real eyesore to me every since. I was able to come up with a design that I like, will look good and be functional. I drew it up and created a paper template of it to try it out first and I think I am going to be happy with it. The final version will be made of 14ga steel and chrome plated...

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5589.jpg

There are a couple interior ideas that I have been toying around with as well as long as budget doesn't get in the way. First, I am planning on using Tim Whittaker's dash insert on the dash, but I am a very visual person and have no imagination so I traced Tim's insert on paper and this will allow me to play around with a few different layouts before carving it up...

IMG_5595.jpg

While I was at it, I am planning to re-cover the door panels (this was confirmed when I saw the upholstery on the armrest), so I made templates of those too. Once I have the template, I will put them into CAD and play around with the design on those as well...

FFR Armrest...
    IMG_5603.jpg
    Now granted this has been in my shop for nearly two years.

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

And since I was in the template mood, I had been seriously thinking about creating some type of dust cover to go around the transmission on the firewall side. This would just be something to help keep dust & moisture out of the area that leads back up into the passenger compartment. MBB Larry had cut me a foam template of the firewall from his kit before he had the engine in, so today I just traced it onto paper for future reference if I decide to do something (actually kind of talking myself out of it as I sit here typing, but we'll see)...

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Templates cont'd...
    IMG_5598.jpg

Today was also a really nice day! Got up to 73 I believe, great January weather (I am not a fan of the cold). With that being said I had some final Lizard Skinning that I really needed to get done so I got those parts laid out and sprayed the Sound Deadener portion on today. I will spray the Heat Shield on tomorrow...

IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg
    Last edited by JOP33; 01-05-2019 at 07:39 PM.

11. Likes wrp, duff33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a continuation of doing some dry fitting of components, I assembled the hood hinges yesterday. I am using a bushing package for the Hood, Doors & Trunk and they seemed to fit up well (however the hood isn't on at this point)...

IMG_5615.jpg

One of my growing concerns has been where the shifter lever sits in relation to where the dash and (really) any console might be. My intent at this point is that I really want to do a forward and rear camera set-up. Navigation and Radio will be included as well, but accommodating the screen (at least one big enough to be functional) is going to be challenging I think. I have seen it done in many of the 33's, however the shifter placement I have seen has been pushed back a bit. When installing my shifter I pushed the kit itself back as far as I possibly could and gained about 1-2 inches. Yesterday I reached out to Lokar after doing some research and they confirmed that I should also be able to rotate the shifter lever back some by loosening the (2) screws on either side of the lever at the base of the unit. I will try to this this weekend and report back...

IMG_E5614.jpg

Keeping on topic with some of what I just mentioned about the shifter. I am currently playing around with a few concepts here. I am trying to keep the actual dash as clean as I possibly can, so I am just trying to stay with the gauges and two vents for air on either side. Then I am trying to fit the AC controls, Ign-Hdlts-Wpr Controls and then a LCD Screen down on to an extension of the fiberglass dash. Just in the concept phase now, but I have been trying to get a feel of how much (or little room I will have)...

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

13. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A little more progress last night...Installed the hood hinges, trunk aluminum, battery tray & battery. All items still just attached temporarily. I also moved the inertia switch down a bit as some of the builders had confirmed for me that my previous placement would likely interfere with the trunk. Not that you will be able to tell from the pictures shown, but I also added a bit of a stiffener plate to the trunk floor (where the battery sits). Essentially, it is just a .050" doubler plate (thanks for the idea Larry) that adds a little more rigidity to that area. With that being said, I also eliminated the access holes that were in the trunk floor as well. Any adjustments that need to be done to the shocks (for me) are easily done from underneath the vehicle. I know for a fact (from speaking with other builders) that the bottom most trunk floor panel tends to be a bit feeble with the latch mechanism for the trunk attached. So I have been thinking about the possibility of placing (4) support arms (or gussets) that would attach to that aluminum panel from underneath and then bridge back over to the chassis tubing. I know that Tim offers a brace for this area as well, but I was thinking about something that would go back to the chassis. Sorry guys, just thinking out loud here...like to hear any suggestions on this, if you have them. By the way, I did cover the trunk aluminum (both sides) with the Lizard Skin Sound and Heat Shield and then my intentions are to either carpet or upholster the trunk area to finish up, but for now I am still a ways away from that...

IMG_5619.jpg

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

One thing I did want to add, is that the battery placement is moved toward the rear of the car just enough that when the trunk hinges are completely lowered the battery doesn't get in the way of the hinges. I know this is difficult to see from the pics as well.
    Last edited by JOP33; 01-09-2019 at 07:25 AM.

15. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Such a clean build!

There's a very high likelihood I'm wrong about this, but aren't the ball-studs for the hood hinge gas struts supposed to be on the outside of the hinge?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Such a clean build!

There's a very high likelihood I'm wrong about this, but aren't the ball-studs for the hood hinge gas struts supposed to be on the outside of the hinge?
    Mike, I had my own reservations about this as well (at to some point still do), but this what I went by...

Hood_Hinge.png

18. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Such a clean build!
    ...And by the way thanks Mike.

20. Likes TxMike64, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sprayed all my exposed Lizard Skin with their Top Coat. It gives it a nice finished look and helps weather proof it as well.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

22. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful build, its an inspiration. My hood is on and the ball studs are on the inside so you are good. Its hard to tell from the photo angle but make sure your trunk hinge arm does not come down and hit your battery. I ha to move mine to the left a little so the arm could clear.

24. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duff33 View Post
    Beautiful build, its an inspiration. My hood is on and the ball studs are on the inside so you are good. Its hard to tell from the photo angle but make sure your trunk hinge arm does not come down and hit your battery. I had to move mine to the left a little so the arm could clear.
    Thank you and yes, I should have mentioned this as well. I am right under the edge of the aluminum, I will have to see once the deck lid is installed, but I do have a bit of room to move if need be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I sprayed all my exposed Lizard Skin with their Top Coat. It gives it a nice finished look and helps weather proof it as well.
    I actually have some of this and may use it on the underside. I plan on covering the trunk area with something, so I probably won't spray this area with anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added the Door Striker Brackets and temporarily used some small self-tapping screws to attach the rest of the aluminum. These are small enough that if I decide to rivet them on upon final fit-up it shouldn't be a problem. I also drew up a Floor Stiffener for the Trunk that I may end up using to help beef up that lower panel where the fiberglass body will attach...

IMG_5622.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

Trunk_Floor_Stiffener.png

28. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a good solution. One question I have... Do you use Solidworks at work? Most guys don't have a license laying around to use in the garage. I'm a CAD jockey (CSWP) and get excited when I find other SW users.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good solution. One question I have... Do you use Solidworks at work? Most guys don't have a license laying around to use in the garage. I'm a CAD jockey (CSWP) and get excited when I find other SW users.
    Add me in as I am also a SW user which is one of the reasons I chose an FFR vehicle. I am doing all my optional enhancements like the third brake light, gear shifter design along with the V8 logo going on the front bumpers.
    33HR Stick Shift Gear Assy - Final Render with Gears cropped.jpg Front V8 logo Preview.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, background in Manufacturing, but was in Engineering prior to my current role. Have used AutoCad, Pro-E & SolidWorks and SW takes the cake by far...IMO. I use Drafsight for small projects around the house though...free CAD software.

32. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought TurboCad many years ago and have updated it a few times. This does what I need it for with most of it being over my head.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/4L65e, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yesterday put an ending to another season as a Cowboys Fan, but honestly it was a better season than any of us could have hoped for and here's to next season! On the bright side, I am hoping to open next season with Star Mobile One complete and ready to go! It will be taking the place of the current Star Mobile One that has been active for the last three years as it will move on to become Star Mobile Too. Good luck to all the teams remaining!

Star Mobile Too!
    IMG_5642.JPG

IMG_5643.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    On a more serious note, I had been contemplating whether to use the existing console I had purchased or to build out something custom. I spent some time yesterday doing some fit-up with the existing console and must admit I think I will be happy with using it. What was really driving my initial concern was being able to add a screen for a forward facing & back-up camera. After putting it in place temporarily and taking some measurements, I think it will actually work out well with the receiver I intend on using...

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

Larry (builder in Grapevine), was kind enough to lend me his fender kit so that I could play around with them in hopes I might first, come to grips with the idea of adding fenders & two, come up with a concept I might actually like...only time will tell. I definitely think that if I am going to use any resemblance of a fender, I will need to have them bobbed considerably..

IMG_5644.jpg

IMG_5645.jpg

I am currently organizing what inventory I have left and getting things ready to go to the Hotrod Shop for prepping and paint at the end of the month. More just about finishing a few details than really anything too overwhelming. I will continue that process over the next few weeks and will also try to knock down some of the Mold lines on the body to take at least a bit of time away from the Shop.
    Last edited by JOP33; 01-13-2019 at 12:32 PM.

36. Likes HVACMAN, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you Cowboys fan? Never would have guessed. LOL
    Been reading your build thread for a couple of months now, that is going to be an awesome hot rod when done.

Oh by the way, GO CHIEFS!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwheels View Post
    Are you Cowboys fan? Never would have guessed. LOL
    Been reading your build thread for a couple of months now, that is going to be an awesome hot rod when done.

Oh by the way, GO CHIEFS!!!
    Appreciate the comments and as things fallout, I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't mind me asking. Where did you find your console?
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson

40. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    If you don't mind me asking. Where did you find your console?
    I’ll pm you with info.

42. Likes HVACMAN, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I received my Grease Fitting Covers yesterday, snug fit and have o-ring so I am hopeful they minimize the amount of grease leakage...

IMG_5656.jpg

44. Likes FF33rod, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been discussing with local builder MBB Larry offline about look of car, fenders vs. fenderless, tires, etc. and just thought I'd bring some discussion to the forum a bit (after all things have been slow as of late). Let me preface by saying this is just my opinion and based on my experience(s) alone. It's funny how for me as I was initially working through the concept of my build, I was taking in everything and anything that everyone could offer, meaning I downloaded ideas, concepts, parts I wanted, you name it and once decided upon, I wasn't moving on "my" ideas of the perfect Hot Rod (or others ideas at this point), even as my idea seemed to change everyday ...as long as it fit my budget, it was going to be done! After I purchased my kit and actually started working on it I would move forward holding my ground on "my" idea of what I wanted...after all, it is my Hot Rod! Then slowly what I found was that my concepts would change based on frustrations, challenges, logic, functionality or in some cases, just better ideas. I would progress through the build, take a few steps back because of some of my stubbornness, compromise with myself and then move on with an adaptation. Ultimately, I think what I am getting at, is we all envision the perfect Hot Rod to start with and when it's all said and done...we get the perfect Hot Rod, for each of us. It may not look exactly as planned or designed, but as you progress you tend to fall in love with it's quirks and idiosyncracies and I don't know this to be fact (as mine is not complete yet), but all the frustrations, adaptations, modifications and compromises seem to cohesively present themselves as the most beautiful, sleekest, badaXX Hot Rod out there! I hope I am correct...and either way, I can't wait to experience it!

46. Likes wrp, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing that matters is what our own eyes see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to build a 33 or the truck next because of the unlimited possibilities. Looking forward to walking the Grand National Roadster Show next week, just to collect ideas. Loved building the MK IV but next time....
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    The only thing that matters is what our own eyes see.
    I agree. And then there's how it drives.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been discussing with local builder MBB Larry offline about look of car, fenders vs. fenderless, tires, etc. and just thought I'd bring some discussion to the forum a bit (after all things have been slow as of late). Let me preface by saying this is just my opinion and based on my experience(s) alone. It's funny how for me as I was initially working through the concept of my build, I was taking in everything and anything that everyone could offer, meaning I downloaded ideas, concepts, parts I wanted, you name it and once decided upon, I wasn't moving on "my" ideas of the perfect Hot Rod (or others ideas at this point), even as my idea seemed to change everyday ...as long as it fit my budget, it was going to be done! After I purchased my kit and actually started working on it I would move forward holding my ground on "my" idea of what I wanted...after all, it is my Hot Rod! Then slowly what I found was that my concepts would change based on frustrations, challenges, logic, functionality or in some cases, just better ideas. I would progress through the build, take a few steps back because of some of my stubbornness, compromise with myself and then move on with an adaptation. Ultimately, I think what I am getting at, is we all envision the perfect Hot Rod to start with and when it's all said and done...we get the perfect Hot Rod, for each of us. It may not look exactly as planned or designed, but as you progress you tend to fall in love with it's quirks and idiosyncracies and I don't know this to be fact (as mine is not complete yet), but all the frustrations, adaptations, modifications and compromises seem to cohesively present themselves as the most beautiful, sleekest, badaXX Hot Rod out there! I hope I am correct...and either way, I can't wait to experience it!
    Beauty is in the eye of the Builder... No matter what cars I looked at it seems that I changed my mind whenever I had the car outside with nothing else around it. The build will evolve as you go. Some things I learned along the way.

1) with no fenders on the front and the windows down you can throw road stones and even worms up to the inside of the roof so that they will pile up behind the seats. I never realized how much worms like warm wet black top. Fortunately I didn't run into any snakes or a herd of frogs...
    2) Without the side covers on and no fenders you can burnish the valve covers and the worms will dry up and stick to the firewall. Snails also...
    3) Some people are very entertained by the rooster tails you can throw off the back tires in wet weather...others not so much.
    4) So I am widening my front Plymouth Fenders to accommodate the bigger tires I like to run and my 33 will be a "wide body"
    5) I should have made my "cowl induction" hood 1" higher...The top is aligned with the bottom of the window glass, I should have set it to the top of the roof flange the window mounts on.
    6) I narrowed my running boards which would have worked even better on the new chassis with the drop front tubing. Easier to exit the car.
    7) My running boards are raised about 1 1/2" which gets the car on the trailer. They are just below the door swing vice under the body.

I think I'm on MKIII now
    1) Started out as a Ford with bicycle fenders
    2) Went to narrow Plymouth fenders with thoughts of Artillery wheels
    3) After first autocross went to wide body with full fenders (in progress)

Now I'll have to sell it to get the new Frame and wider doors Geez!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Met with the painter today for the last time before pickup (probably1-2 weeks). We had some interesting discussions regarding possibly "ghosting" the star on vehicle as well as the continued discussion of the fenders. All good conversation! The more I speak with Kory, the more I know that he is the right guy for the job. MBB Larry had lent me his Fenders (rears) so today I played around with them a bit. After emailing FFR back and forth, their Front Fenders would work with my set-up, but not the rears, so I will be going 3rd party for those. I also told Kory I would try and knock down some mold lines on the body, so I degreased and took them down (just a bit)...

IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

Providing the weather is nice again tomorrow, I may try to crank SM1 up one more time before sending her off!

52. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll pm you with info.
    I'd also like to know about your console please.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was two years ago Saturday that I ordered my 33' from FFR (actually let the day slip past me). When I ordered it I was so excited yet so afraid. I'd been around cars, worked on cars but never in my mind thought I could ever build a car. Some of the key aspects for moving forward with the FFR kit was first and foremost, this forum. The commitment shown by ALL of YOU (and now me ) to not only build your kit but to share your experiences (both good and bad) with current and future builders was the biggest key for me. I have always been one that recognizes and accepts those things that I can do well as well as those that I can not. I knew going in that there would be challenges, both big and small. I knew that there would be times that I would need the help of others. I knew there would be set-backs, frustrations, disappointments and failures, but even considering all of that, I chose to move forward mainly because the support of this forum. The second reason I chose to move on was the support of FFR and the product they provided. The responses I received to questions I had, even prior to my purchase, impressed me. As I am now two years into this process I would say that, yes we all have the days that we tend to drag our nails across the chalkboard about FFR. Whether it be design, production, delivery or support, I am sure that all of us have had our days on the "soap box", as I know I have. However, I have to say that I have been extremely impressed with the responses and interactions that I have had with the entire FFR Team. I truly believe that they recognize that their success is based on our success. The fact that this kit offered a manual with it was also a key point to me. I knew that if I had to go out and buy an existing car and piece together every component to make it what I wanted with only my direction in mind, that I would most definitely fail. Yes I recognize that the manual is just a guide, building this car is like doing a dot to dot drawing...the manual gives you the vision of what the car will be when it's completed, it gives you the direction you need to go forward, allows for some straying between the dots, but with a little logic, some good friends and a steady hand we all end up at the next dot! I guess my point is that even with the challenges of the last two years (not just building as we all have lives as well) I would do it again in a heartbeat and even knowing what I know now and learning from my experiences I would still pull that trigger with the same excitement and nervousness that I had two years ago!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just have to say a very nice build. I have read your build from start till now and you are no different then anyone having good and bad times and it gives you time to think and when you get over the humps you enjoy that time more because you know how you got there. Your ride will look nice after paint I cant wait to see it even though I am not a Cowboys fan I love your work and your ride. I have built a lot of hot rods and many Harleys and choppers and now it time for a FF 33. I would have had it already but my doctor stopped me and if everything goes well I will be building mine next year. I have one thing over yall I am single and retired so I can spend what I want to and work when I want to and yes I am from the south Georgia as a matter of fact but I have been to Texas many times when I was in the military. Again I love you ride and enjoy it now . By the way I like the console where can I get one I am buying parts already for my 33. Its almost time to just enjoy your ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sturigus83 View Post
    I just have to say a very nice build...
    sturigus83, I appreciate your kind comments and look forward to following your build. I have been absolutely blessed in life (and with my build) as my wife has been my biggest supporter. Every time I start getting a little sideways in my budget, she reminds me that I am not buying a car but the experience! I get more comments about the "Cowboys" theme than I ever thought I would...there are a lot of purest, non-football fans & Cowboy haters out there and I love it! It's a great conversation piece and it's not even painted yet! I explained it to Kory, the painter, that when I started out I had to have a theme to guide me through the process...something to keep the concept from straying from one end of the spectrum and then back to the other and so I chose a Cowboy themed hotrod! Many tell me that I won't do well at car shows because of it, that I risk someone vandalizing it and what if I intend to drive it out of the area. These are all valid concerns, but I think even if I take away the selected theme of the car, many of the concerns still exist. I am reminded about a story that one of the instructors at the build school told me about (he had built an FFR Roadster kit) and how one day he had driven his car to the grocery store only to walk of the store to see a mother with her child sitting in the front seat taking a picture. With this story (and I am sure there are many of them, in fact it would be a great thread for all to share their stories...) I was more taken aback by the fact that someone thought it was okay to put their child in a car that wasn't theirs without permission than just the thought of the child wanting to sit in the car...for heaven sakes, just ask, I am sure he would of accomodated. I guess what I am getting at is a bit of attention seems to come with the territory already, so we all have to plan accordingly for that...and I have never been one to shy away from some criticism as it has been suggested to just paint it Cowboy colors, wrap it or use a sticker or the best one was to make the star a magnet so I can take it off...I don't feel the need to have to explain the ludicrousness of that statement...And after all this being said, my biggest fear is a phone call... "Ahhhh, this is ahhh, Jerrah Jones, Imma need you to remove...and cease...and desist... and take off that star from tha outside that car and so on and so forth and etc."!

Anyway, car is not due to be picked up by the painter for another couple weeks, so the plan last night and today and tomorrow if it takes that long...is for me to pull the aluminum out of the car and place "something" between the chassis and the body. The bottom of the aluminum has been sprayed with LS Sound & Heat (and I am actually going to spray another coat of the Heat while I have it off), but I was going to either lay some high temp RTV on the chassis or maybe some rubber bumpers (thin almost like washers). I guess a lot of builders attach the panels with silicon or what have you, but my thought is that if the panels ever need to be removed, with the silicon (or the panels bonded to the chassis) the aluminum will be destroyed before you ever get them off (maybe I am wrong in this thinking). My thought was to either use some rubber bumpers (similar to what you may see in kitchen cabinets) or possibly just use a dot of RTV every so often and then let it cure before re-installing, so that the panels are not truly bonded to the chassis, after all I am using screws to attach the aluminum, so I think for the purposes of the floor being rigid and stable it will serve the same purpose. I just don't want the aluminum to rattle (as I am sure there will be plenty of other areas that offer rattles). I also have a few self-fabbed items that I am going to try and get installed this weekend...none of which will get done if I don't quit typing and go do some work (sorry for rambling on). Hope to update later tonight or tomorrow on progress!

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast