Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question for fellow New Yorkers

Post Thanks / Like

Question for fellow New Yorkers

I've been putting some parts together for my build. I plan on ordering a complete kit, hopefully in the spring or early summer. I'm trying to budget around 30k and I'm not interested in high horsepower. I have no intention of racing, just want something fun to drive. I've watched videos of Fox body donor builds and they seem perfect for me.

So, here's my question. From the research I've done it sounds like in NYS for emissions I only need a pcv valve, but on the state paper work it says it would need whatever was on the engine model year. I've found a 5.0 from an explorer for cheap. My plan is rebuild it with a mild cam and make it a carbureted engine. Would this be okay with the state or do I need all the emissions the explorer had? Thanks for your time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to watch this thread close as i am mid build and have heard both ways. Using 1994 donor motor. Smog Pump and EGR delete. Still up in the air on having Converters. Been told thaty you need to state the vehicle as intended to be a "replica of a 1965" in those words. For what its worth. Doubt that helps but i cant even get a deffinative answer out of state on the few phone calls i have made. Dont even bother trying to get Email answers from anyone in Albany...
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked the same question of Tech Services 2 years ago when I did mine, I was told that the emissions had to atleast match the requirements of the year of when the engine type was available. So since the 302 block was available in the 60's. the emissions just need to be pcv, regardless of date on block. All I have is pcv...no issues. PM me if you want any additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Feen, your explanation seems to make sense. I picked up a motor today out of a 2000 mountaineer with 140k on it for $300. Looks good so far. Hopefully I can get it torn down this weekend. Now I have to decide if I want to go with FI or carb, leaning towards carb setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be real careful about that 'year the engine type is available' part. Engines have block codes so it's pretty easy to figure which year vehicle the engine came from.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    CraigS, NYS tech services told me not to worry about the date code on the block, as long as that type was available in the emissions year we are trying to comply with. I specifically asked about taking an 90's explorer 302 and using it and was told OK. I couldn't take a mod motor and call it a 65 replica with pcv only.

KegMechanic, to be certain call tech services and talk to Mark. He is going to do the review