Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 Windshield Installation

Post Thanks / Like

MK4 Windshield Installation

IMG_2542.JPGIMG_2543.JPG

Hi All,

Need some help on the windshield installation. Currently the windshield is positioned in the car but I'm not sure I'm at the correct angle. The passenger support has already been cut down roughly 2.5 inches and the windshield corners are sitting on the body. The seal over the body also seems to be sitting OK but not sure how far it should be angled to improve the seal. With that said the support bars are not at the same angle of the pre-drilled holes in the frame. For that to happen it seems I would need to increase the support bar holes through the body to increase the degree towards the cockpit. I've attached two pictures to help you see what I see.

Any help would be great and thanks again for the support,

TwoCans

Post Thanks / Like
    First, pretty normal that the corners are basically touching the body on each side. As long as the seal is against the body all the way across, that's OK. Second, the arms may not exactly match the angles of the brackets in the body either. That's OK too. As long as the holes you drill line up with the holes in the mounting brackets, that's fine. You may need to move it front to back to find the right combination of position and angle to hit the mounting bracket correctly. Probably the best description I've seen of the windshield angle is the recommendation from Factory Five for the angle to fit their premium top. 27 inches from the corner of the cockpit above the door latches to the top screw in the windshield bracket.

BTW, the opening for the windshield post shouldn't touch the arms when you're done. So you likely will need to adjust those. Look pretty tight in the pics. That could also prevent finding the proper location if you're using the standard factory cutouts. Those are typically undersized. Also, if the windshield arms don't exactly contact the mounts in the body, add spacers or washers. You don't want to put any stress on the windshield, plus it will flex and affect how it fits across the body.

If I'm seeing your pictures correctly, you're already painted and just now fitting the windshield? I recommend fitting before paint. Way less stress.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-07-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few things I'd do before paint next time that's for sure!

I'm currently sitting at 28 3/4 from top screw of windshield to the top of the door jam on the body nearest the driver or passenger seats. With that said I assume I would open the slot more towards the driver / passenger and not the engine bay. Would that be correct as I failed engineering in school?

Thanks again,
    TwoCans

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. TwoCans View Post
    There are a few things I'd do before paint next time that's for sure!

I'm currently sitting at 28 3/4 from top screw of windshield to the top of the door jam on the body nearest the driver or passenger seats. With that said I assume I would open the slot more towards the driver / passenger and not the engine bay. Would that be correct as I failed engineering in school?

Thanks again,
    TwoCans
    You mentioned the posts aren't lining up quite right with the brackets on the chassis. So it kind of depends. Sounds like it does need to be tipped back a bit, which should give you a little better fit on the seal. The opening in the body should be adjusted on whichever end gives the best alignment of the post to the chassis mounts when it tips back.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.