BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaky T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Leaky T5

I finally got my engine and tranny in a couple of weeks ago, and filled the tranny last weekend. And now...I have a little puddle welcoming me. Not really a puddle. A pea-sized drip on the floor.

I did a thorough look at it, and it appears to be coming from a bolt on the driver's side, about 2/3 of the way up the side of the transmission.

I never had this totally disassembled, it had been rebuilt just before I got it. I cleaned it up really well and repainted it, that's it.

It might also be coming from the joint where the tail shaft section mates with the front of the transmission as well.

Is there some procedure easier than draining and taking the thing apart in the car that you guys would recommend? I had it fully drained so it wouldn't spill all over the floor, which is too bad since it is anyway, and I could have found the leak about 6 months ago while it was on the stand. ;->

Thanks!
    KD - Formerly beartoothweb
    FFR#6407
    Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11 - First Official Go Kart - 4/10/11
    Build Site
    What I do to pay for it all - Web Design, Graphics, and Programming

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt that it's the bolt on the drivers side. That's the bolt you don't ever want to touch. If it is removed, the trans will have to be disassembled to correct, it has to do with the shift forks. The leak is probably coming from the tailshaft housing flange. And yes, the trans needs to come out to repair the leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Persons View Post
    I doubt that it's the bolt on the drivers side. That's the bolt you don't ever want to touch. If it is removed, the trans will have to be disassembled to correct, it has to do with the shift forks. The leak is probably coming from the tailshaft housing flange. And yes, the trans needs to come out to repair the leak.
    I mean one of the bolts holding the housing flange, btw, not the bolt that sits on the side, but you're right, looks like it needs to come out, bummer. Oh well...glad to have the lift...
    KD - Formerly beartoothweb
    FFR#6407
    Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11 - First Official Go Kart - 4/10/11
    Build Site
    What I do to pay for it all - Web Design, Graphics, and Programming