Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  62
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Boss 427 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Really looking good Boyd. You are almost to the finish line!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

2. Thanks Boydster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great. How many items left on the punch list?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Looking great. How many items left on the punch list?
    Still 36 items to go. I wanna work on it day and night, but still have to work my 10 hour days. I'll get it done... not gonna be long now...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

6. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking really great may have to come do and see it on my own, Im in Pa but I get down to Md all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by caesarmascetti View Post
    looking really great may have to come do and see it on my own, Im in Pa but I get down to Md all the time.
    Thanks Caesar. Come on down and we can hang in the shop for a bit...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd-

She looks terrific! I really like how the paint turned out, and that blue accent stripe really sets it off perfectly!

You are knocking out that punch list nicely. It won't be long now, to be sure.

Thanks for the updates, and congratulations on getting so darned close!! I look forward to watching you wrap things up.

Regards,

Steve

10. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This weekend was front bumpers, scoops and pipes.

I have the ********** bumpers. These have 3/8-16 welded nuts inside them. Of course the ********** body grommets are 3/4", so I hit McMaster Carr for some 3/4 x 1/2 aluminum tubing and some 1/2 x 3/8 nylon bushings. Bushings fit inside the tubes, 3/8 threaded rods fit inside the bushings. Nothing is loose, no rattles, looks pretty good. Will look better when they are polished up. However, I may paint them the same color as my stripe (Ford TN Silver Gray Metallic). One thing about the **********s thats different from the F5's is that welded nut inside... the F5's use a bracket. So the F5's can be mounted at an angle to match the grill opening angle. You cant do that with **********s. So mine are mounted straight up n down. Doesnt bother me a bit.

No, they are not at different angles. Picture angle makes it look odd.

Worked on my ********** brake scoops, which will be feeding my footbax fans. Trimmed them to fit and glued em in with some high strength adhesive / sealant. Used the old stick trick to hold em in place.

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

12. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next up was the pipes because I cant run the car with open headers... at least not too long. Used some 1.5" stainless 3/8 bolts and hardware, installed with antiseize of course. I had earlier opened up the mounting holes to allow some vertical adjustment and it worked well. The front is up on blocks right now, so I'll 2x check and adjust again if needed. But they look really good right now. The drivers may need a very small wedge... that space difference is only about 1/2" at the back end of the muffler section. Pretty happy with how this full Gas-N Exhaust for the 351 based engine has turned out.

Drivers pipe:

Passenger pipe, no wedge needed at all:

Worked on installing the Kirkey Hiback 17" seats and it's taking a good bit of work. Pics on that later.

And here's how she's sitting today. Getting there...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Boyd! Almost there with plenty of good weather ahead of you.

15. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spent some good time with the Boss in the afternoon on the 29th.

Finished installing both seats. If you've seen my other thread on these seats, you'll know that I'm not happy with them. I mean, they fit fine, I just dont think the style fits the car very well. And my OCD will not let me live with those shoulder wings being all bent at different angles.

Added a sticker. I know, kill me. But I like it. Dont know if it will stay, but I think it will.

Worked on the Tangent oil cooler scoop lights. I believe I have the last set sold, as this is his prototype set for the latest run of lights. Documented earlier, I replaced the lamps with LEDS. I have the white and blue tied together for now, and powered through the headlight switch but with their own switch. So headlights have to be on for them to work, then its a choice whether or not you want them on. I'd like to wire the blue lights separate later on, so they always come on with ignition like a DRL. Just another small blue detail as in the rest of the car.

Last edited by Boydster; 08-31-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

17. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lastly, I installed my ReplicaParts / Mike Everson radiator inlet aluminum and Speedway honeycomb panel. All went in very nicely and really, really looks good. I had also bought some Breeze grills for the radiator and brake scoops, but I dont think I'm gonna use those. I like this look. I think I will paint the aluminum panel the same color as my stripes... Ford Silver gray TN.

OK, back to the shop. Where else would you find a single guy on a friday evening?
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Boyd!
    Looks like you are almost done. I painted my honeycomb cover black. I like how that turned out.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

20. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a few pics of things getting done. Not a lot of explanation needed... all stuff that hundreds before have done.

********** vents mounted using structural adhesive and McMaster Carr stainless mounts.

Primer:

Passenger side about done with under door carpet and trim all done, custom Herbs door panels, and a Kirkey 55V seat (not mounted yet)

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

22. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With those seats down and all the way back you'll feel little in that car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    With those seats down and all the way back you'll feel little in that car.
    Yeah, with em on the floor, I'm looking right through the center of the windshield. I like the seating and feel of the seats. Still not exactly what I really want, but this will def do for now.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Been on vacation for a week, spent the time in Southern Utah with my brother and friend, riding adventure bikes and jeeps all over the place. Had a great time, but very nothing got done on The Boss.
    Soon as I got back, I had to do something. Since my self-induced chore list was so long (only 1 day till back-to-work), I decided to use the vinegaroon that had been soaking for a week.

If you dont know what it is, see http://www.instructables.com/id/Vine...k-Leather-Dye/

This was fun and easy to do, and the end product is quite nice. I saw someone else post on here that when they did it, they liked that the stitching did not change color. I like that little detail, too. Makes it cleaner. However, in the grand scheme, its such a little detail...

Anyways, some pics...

New straps, fresh from the bag:

One swipe with the paintbrush. I did 2 applications. Left the hardwre in place and they dont seem to be affected.

Finished product, still wet from the baking soda & water bath. When dried, they look nice.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did this a couple years ago with the door straps and the leather pieces on the harness. i think they look more finished and match the black interior better. The only thing to becareful of with the harness is that it did cause a little rusting of the metal pieces.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    ...The only thing to be careful of with the harness is that it did cause a little rusting of the metal pieces.
    They rust even when you haven't done the vinegaroon treatment.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If they start rusting, I'll rip em out, sandblast em and paint em black. Oh, or maybe Ford Silver Gray to match the stripe.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Havnt done too much, took a weeks vaca out to Vegas and Utah with my brother, did a bunch of very fun adventure bike riding. Beautiful area.

So I figure I have about 20 hours in mounting seats, and all I'm doing is bolting seats to mounts and mounts to the floor. The 55V Kirkey's do not mount the same as the hibacks. Anyways, I finally have seats in and secured. Yes, they are angled to follow the center console, as that's the straight shot to the footwells and the pedals.

Didnt get a pic, but I mounted the Kirkey brackets to both turn under the seat, then drilled 4 holes in the seat pan to be able to get a socket on the bolts. Worked out nice this way with the narrow area to mount and I dont feel my holes sacrificed any strength.

Had to do some adjusting on the passenger shoulder belts as they were kinda short, not easy to do with the Breeze cubby, but got that done.
    Waiting on a backordered Breeze wedge for the sidepipes, when that comes in I'll be able to mount the pipes and close up the wheel wells with the splashguards.

Got the roll bars all final bolted in and installed my Mike Everson / ReplicaParts trim rings, made for the Breeze bars. That was difficult drilling that first hole.

The angle bar on these roll bars goes thru enough to never be an issue, but not enough to get a bolt all the way across the bar. So I had to drill 1 hole in one side of the bar, and tapped it for a gr8 3/8x1 bolt and washer. It aint going anywhere.

More work in the next few days, need to get to the rear of the car and get the exhaust finished up.

Trying to go for legal VIN, taxes, title and temp tags on Oct 8.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much impressive stuff to wow anyone with, but build work is build work.

Changed the tag light over to led. This is the last light to be installed and the car is now officially 100% LED. Used BA9S-WWHP5 warm white from Superbright. Direct replacement.
    On the tag mount, does everyone else use the 4 screw holes? Or just the 2 up top? Seems the bottom 2 holes are not on the same plain and would pull everything down weird.

Also installed the door check straps. Riveted for now, will change that over to stainless hardware later on.
    Installed the windwings and Breeze mirrors. Nice stuff and looks good.I can see me carrying tools to tighten any of this up if it gets loose on the road.
    Built the visors, but need the #6 square nuts to mount per one of the many Kleiner mods out there. I'm not putting screws into the windshield.

Last edited by Boydster; 09-26-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: added more pics
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I havent installed the center mirror yet because I'm not crazy about it. Dont want to drill into the body until I've looked at my options. But going for legal on Oct 8, so need to make a decision soon...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea on carrying tools on the wind wings. My drivers side loosened on the bottom mount only one time and had to hold it with one hand for a few minutes until I could pull over and get the tool out of the trunk.
    Car is looking great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Scott. Not self-congratulating at all, but it actually does look pretty good. Really looking forward to getting it out.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with a little self congratulating. You worked hard and turned out a great ride. Be proud of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasnt going to do this small stuff in my build thread, but I ran across one or 2 details that just might help someone else, so here come the sunvisors...

I bought the F5 visors. After assembling the hinges, instructions have you screwing the mount brackets into the windshield frame into previously provided holes. Some have suspected this as a cause for cracked windshields.

I decided to go the Kleiner route, using #6-32 square nuts in the top frame channel. Quick trip to Ace and I had em. Went to install and found the supplied screws were not long enough. Another trip to ACE and the shortest countersunk #6-32 screw they had was a stainless 3/8". Just like 60% of this car... "I'll make it work".

So a 3/8" screw (.375) is too long... it will dig into the frame. The F5 screws were too short... .200". I found a screw at .250 - .270 is just right, so I'm shooting for 1/4". BTW, this is overall length.

Depth check at .250". You can see the reflection of the end of the screw... it is not touching the frame.

While measuring screw lengths, noticed the F5 screws were smaller than #6. Measuring proved it... 3mm screws at .118 dia. #6's are .135. So my visors were supplied with 3mm screws.

Left is #6-32x3/8 from Ace, center is modified #6 to 1/4", right is the 3mm as supplied by F5.

Anyways, onwards with the #6's. Easy work from here on... found the thickness of 2 washers and 1 of the square nuts made a perfect guide to get the right length of 1/4".

About 20 hits with a double-cut ******* file and it was good.

Final assembly and nothing is touching anything but the top rail.

Final product. F5 visors, windwings and Breeze mirrors and nothing can possibly touch the windshield glass.

Gotta say, thats a lot of stuff hanging off the windshield. Really liked the clean look before installing all that. I'll see how it goes down the road...
    Kinda weird that after building this whole car, I do a detail on visors. Go figure.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

36. Thanks MSumners thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting to the end, little by little. Finishing everything up so I can make the Oct 8 Maryland VIN inspection.

Installed the rear ********** bumpers. These things were a pain and took about 2 days to get it all figured out. But I got it.

Rear wheel wells are all undercoated with Herculiner, that took 2 days for 2 coats.

Next up is the drivers sidepipe (cant wait for the backordered Breeze wedge, it'll have to go in later) and windshield wipers. That should be enough to get it through VIN and temp tags.

Worked with Robbin at Midwest today, should have coverage tomorrow. He made it super easy through email when I couldnt speak to him on the phone due to work.

Not gonna be long now...

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Still working towards Oct 8.

Yesterday I got the drivers exhaust installed. My Breeze wedge is still backordered for the drivers side, but I gotta go without for now. Removed the front splashguards and stuffed a bunch of window unit air conditioner foam in next to the footboxes. Wheels back on and lugs torqued.
    Later today I have to change the distributor drive gear, fear I've got the wrong one on there. Installing a bronze from the distributor manufacturer, Pertronix.
    Windshield wipers on Friday and / or Saturday.
    Got insurance yesterday from Robbin at Midwest. He made it easy, quick and painless.

Spoke with a local inspection shop yesterday for MD state safety inspection. He's never done an F5, but seemed willing to talk about it. I'll get the VIN, title and temp tags and then go talk to him.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Still working towards Oct 8.

Yesterday I got the drivers exhaust installed. My Breeze wedge is still backordered for the drivers side, but I gotta go without for now. Removed the front splashguards and stuffed a bunch of window unit air conditioner foam in next to the footboxes. Wheels back on and lugs torqued.
    Later today I have to change the distributor drive gear, fear I've got the wrong one on there. Installing a bronze from the distributor manufacturer, Pertronix.
    Windshield wipers on Friday and / or Saturday.
    Got insurance yesterday from Robbin at Midwest. He made it easy, quick and painless.

Spoke with a local inspection shop yesterday for MD state safety inspection. He's never done an F5, but seemed willing to talk about it. I'll get the VIN, title and temp tags and then go talk to him.
    NOOOOOOO, go to that place in Rockville, Auto Italia. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give em a call, David.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Called Auto Italia, and they are not only familiar with F5's, soon as I mentioned it, they asked me which model I have. He said call em back soon as I have a VIN and temp tags and they will hook me up. Cool.

Did a few small things last few days. Nothing really worth talking about. But today was her first day back out in the daylight since she came home from Whitby's. So got a few pics. I'm stoked with how nice looking this machine is.

Going for VIN, taxes, title and tags on Tuesday.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck, Boyd! I have all my paperwork ready to go once my car is back in Colorado. Now it'll be playing tag with the weather as we are expecting a freeze this week. Your car looks fantastic!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave. I feel your timing pain. While we wont be getting snow for a bit yet, the east coast open top driving season is definitely winding down. Not sure what I'm gonna do all winter...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my Maryland State VIN number, paid my taxes, title is in the mail, 30 day tags on The Boss. I drilled the hole for the handle to pass through.
    Next step is MD Safety Inspection and I am roadworthy.

Maybe it;s me, but that tag looks huge...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post

Maybe it;s me, but that tag looks huge...
    The tag isn't huge. That car is small. Once you start getting on the high-way regularly, and are looking up at Volkswagens, you'll really get a good feeling on how small the car is. And over powered too...

I've been reading and watching this thread, and waiting for this day for you. Now Trinket (hope I got that right) and you can take a drive together and enjoy the journey. Talk to her and she'll be with you. Fair winds and blue skies my friend.
    Last edited by boat737; 10-08-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you got it right. Thanks for the nice thoughts, my friend.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Boyd. Interesting you get the tag before it was deemed roadworthy. In my state I had to get it roadworthy and signed off by the state inspector before I could go and get my tag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Looking great Boyd. Interesting you get the tag before it was deemed roadworthy. In my state I had to get it roadworthy and signed off by the state inspector before I could go and get my tag.
    Thanks Scott. In Maryland, long as you have insurance and title, you can get 30 day tags for $20. They are supposed to be for inspection only, and you only get 30 days... no renewal. If you cant get it done in 30, you gotta tow. Once I pass inspection, I pay the 2 year fee and get new stickers.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Doubled my total miles today, just running around the neighborhood. Up to 13! Got out on one major road and up to 50 mph. She feels good, almost everything is in working order. No pulling, no drama, good brakes, steering is easy if maybe a little darty. Might just need to get used to it. Idle oil pressure 65 cold, about 40 hot. Jumps up instantly when the throttle is touched. When hot, engine sounds a little tappy for a full roller. May need to adjust the valvetrain. That tiny single wire alternator from Jones Racing works great, takes a little throttle tap to bring it in, anything above idle is showing 14.5 volts. Water temp is riding about 190 while moving, 200 sitting with a 192 thermostat. Feel like the Fortes mechanical throttle is dialed right in... easy to modulate, east to drive sedately and takes a good step to crack into it.

I'm using a (non forum vendor) electric heater valve. It quit working and was stuck in the heat position. So even with the fan off and the vents closed, I've got some heat coming in. The company was very responsive to knowing whats wrong with it and working with me.

Other than that... she's a beast! Need to reset the ride height, but very little else. Gas-N headers and sidepipes on a 427W sound fantastic. All those SUV's and even the VW's look very, very big. Taking her out to a local cruise-in not far from the house tonight. Like to get some more miles before I get too far from the house.

Did my rough headlight alignment last night. Very easy to do with the JW Speaker projector leds. They project such a precise beam with highly defined steps and cutoff points. Took about 15 minutes and I was done.
    Just need to finish the wipers an I'll be ready for MD safety inspection, which may happen Monday...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast