So I've decide to do a build thread. I'm also working on a website for my friends and family that aren't forum-ites. I want to be able to share and discuss with all of you since this will most likely be my only build.

I'm calling my car a Boss427. I know there's no such thing, but it's a Boss 351 bored and stroked to a 427, and it's not really a Cobra, so why not?

I've been a F5 fan for years. I've had a build manual since the MKIII. I've been building a Dream Spreadsheet for 2 years. Been on the forum longer than that. It's been a long time coming, but I wanted to have the finances in order before starting so I wouldn't get 1/2 way through and run out of money. I am planning on everything brand new... nothing rebuilt.

My plan for the car... Some old skool with a modern twist. A car thats cool and fun to drive that looks like a Cobra.
For running gear, the basics are a Ford crate 427 X-head, TKO600 mid shift and a Moser 3.55 3 link rear. I chose the FMS 427X because I wanted a classic V8 appearance and like the low revving torquey aspects of this engine. I chose the lower HP X head to keep things somewhat under control but also have the ability to upgrade later if I want to. A simple cyl head change could go over 500hp. Chose the 3 link rear because I like simple and strong. Some other things are custom Speedhut gauges, dual SS rollbars, no rear bumpers, full LED lighting with some pretty cool mods. Installing wipers, but no heater. I question the need for a heater in an open roadster (I know my buddy's old TR6 did not need a heater... we froze with it on full blast). I will be installing electric ports for heated gear if it's needed. So you get the idea...

I finally placed my order on Feb 1. I had called F5 beforehand and asked what their current build time was... they said 4-5 weeks. So I placed the order and got a return email in about 10 minutes that my car would be ready to ship in 10 days. Holy smokes. Got to get ready. Started ordering tools and the basics I would need to get through suspension and aluminum.

One of the first items that showed up was my wheels. I'm running American Racing AR105M Anthracite Torq Thrusts in the 17x9 and 17x10.5. Those back wheels are huge.
Rear wheel.jpg

But i questioned if they will fit over the big Wilwoods from F5. In the next week, the brakes showed up and then the rear from Moser. So of course I had to get started! Happy to report that the rear wheels fit great over the brakes.
wheel brake check.jpgClearance.jpg

Trying to do what I can before the car arrives... assemble and safety the front brake rotors. A cool tool I have for work is a safety cable crimper instead of twisting safety wire. It's much more reliable, quicker and consistent. The crimper is also calibrated, so it requires a threshold level of torque to strip the crimp off the end of the cable. In this case, it requires 70 in/lbs. Doesn't sound like much, but this pretty much guarantees that the bolts wont back out on their own. This type of safety is very common on todays jet engines.
Safety Cable.jpg

One other item that arrived is my VPM 3rd link support bars. This engine makes a nice amount of torque (over 500 ft/lbs), and like I said, I want to build it strong. Those pictures of bent banana brackets made me cautious. However, when the rear arrived, I discovered Moser chops the upper 4 link mounts, or ears, off the differential housing. So I cant use the VPM banana bracket support. Returned that, but will still use the 3rd link support bar.

Lots of other stuff coming in... tools, Breeze power steering rack, bushings, rear lower control arms. Howe ball joints, Moog tie rods. Rebco alignment tools, lug nuts & locks, etc. The pile is getting bigger.

So the car is supposed to show up today between 11 & 2. Driver said it depends on how he gets through New York. I guess you know what the next pics will be...