FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boss 427 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Boss 427 Build

So I've decide to do a build thread. I'm also working on a website for my friends and family that aren't forum-ites. I want to be able to share and discuss with all of you since this will most likely be my only build.

I'm calling my car a Boss427. I know there's no such thing, but it's a Boss 351 bored and stroked to a 427, and it's not really a Cobra, so why not?

I've been a F5 fan for years. I've had a build manual since the MKIII. I've been building a Dream Spreadsheet for 2 years. Been on the forum longer than that. It's been a long time coming, but I wanted to have the finances in order before starting so I wouldn't get 1/2 way through and run out of money. I am planning on everything brand new... nothing rebuilt.

My plan for the car... Some old skool with a modern twist. A car thats cool and fun to drive that looks like a Cobra.
    For running gear, the basics are a Ford crate 427 X-head, TKO600 mid shift and a Moser 3.55 3 link rear. I chose the FMS 427X because I wanted a classic V8 appearance and like the low revving torquey aspects of this engine. I chose the lower HP X head to keep things somewhat under control but also have the ability to upgrade later if I want to. A simple cyl head change could go over 500hp. Chose the 3 link rear because I like simple and strong. Some other things are custom Speedhut gauges, dual SS rollbars, no rear bumpers, full LED lighting with some pretty cool mods. Installing wipers, but no heater. I question the need for a heater in an open roadster (I know my buddy's old TR6 did not need a heater... we froze with it on full blast). I will be installing electric ports for heated gear if it's needed. So you get the idea...

I finally placed my order on Feb 1. I had called F5 beforehand and asked what their current build time was... they said 4-5 weeks. So I placed the order and got a return email in about 10 minutes that my car would be ready to ship in 10 days. Holy smokes. Got to get ready. Started ordering tools and the basics I would need to get through suspension and aluminum.

One of the first items that showed up was my wheels. I'm running American Racing AR105M Anthracite Torq Thrusts in the 17x9 and 17x10.5. Those back wheels are huge.
    Rear wheel.jpg

But i questioned if they will fit over the big Wilwoods from F5. In the next week, the brakes showed up and then the rear from Moser. So of course I had to get started! Happy to report that the rear wheels fit great over the brakes.
    wheel brake check.jpgClearance.jpg

Trying to do what I can before the car arrives... assemble and safety the front brake rotors. A cool tool I have for work is a safety cable crimper instead of twisting safety wire. It's much more reliable, quicker and consistent. The crimper is also calibrated, so it requires a threshold level of torque to strip the crimp off the end of the cable. In this case, it requires 70 in/lbs. Doesn't sound like much, but this pretty much guarantees that the bolts wont back out on their own. This type of safety is very common on todays jet engines.
    Safety Cable.jpg

One other item that arrived is my VPM 3rd link support bars. This engine makes a nice amount of torque (over 500 ft/lbs), and like I said, I want to build it strong. Those pictures of bent banana brackets made me cautious. However, when the rear arrived, I discovered Moser chops the upper 4 link mounts, or ears, off the differential housing. So I cant use the VPM banana bracket support. Returned that, but will still use the 3rd link support bar.

Lots of other stuff coming in... tools, Breeze power steering rack, bushings, rear lower control arms. Howe ball joints, Moog tie rods. Rebco alignment tools, lug nuts & locks, etc. The pile is getting bigger.

So the car is supposed to show up today between 11 & 2. Driver said it depends on how he gets through New York. I guess you know what the next pics will be...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

2. Likes ydousurf liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Boydster,

I love those wheels and almost went with them, but I let my son pick the rims which I also like.

If you go with 255/40 17" up front they look great with 315/35 17" out back because it will give you a smidgen of rake since the 255/40's are a tad shorter than the 315's. That combo looks insanely mean since you've got so much tire on all four corners, but the fronts may rub the inner "F Panel" at lock to lock. I've got 245/45 17" and 285/40 17" and they have about the same amount of rake front to rear, but of course are a little taller and a little thinner.

In addition, I totally love the Boss 427 Emblem & wish I could find an emblem that is equally as cool, but plays of the 383 CID Motor that sits between my frame rails.

Have A Great Build!

Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-15-2017 at 09:32 AM.

4. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve. I am planning on the 255 / 315 combo. Thinking Nitto NT05's.

The emblem... I had it custom made by www.billetbadges.com. A bit pricey, but one-of-a-kind. Its the first piece I bought for the car and probably the last piece I will install. Design and make your own!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great Plan Boydster and how could anyone not love a BOSS 427?
    I was also torn on the wheels, the Torq Thrusts look great on these cars too. In the end I went with the Halibrands, but may go to Torq Thrusts one day. Like them both.
    BTW, I just installed a set of 17" Mickey Thompsons on my wheels and really like them so far. I think they are comparable to the Kuhmos (no longer manufactured).

A couple thoughts, not knowing the gearing on your tranny, but the 3.55 may be good for a 302, but for that much hp & torque, I think a smaller rear gear would suit your setup better.
    Also, I ran my roadster without a heater the first 2 years (I installed heated seats the second year). I installed a Vintage-Air heater, it was a pain, but I was glad I did it and it makes the ride more comfortable, taking off the cold morning chill. Also nice to stick your hands under the vent for a warm-up! Just saying.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a great build. Look forward to following along. Nice touch with the extra website for the family and friends not on the forum!

Possibly the moderators could move this thread to the Roadster build thread section so it doesn't shuffle off the bottom of the page so quickly??

Enjoy delivery day! It sounds like a long time coming.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,

First of all congrats on the order.

Second... Boss 427s do exist. It says so right on my Engine ID plate.

Engine_IDPlate.PNG

As for tire size my MK III has 255/40/R17 on the front and 315/35/R17 on the back with no rubbing issues. I've been running Goodyear F1 GSD3s, but now it's time for new tires and I am going with the Nitto NT05s

As for a heater I installed one and love it. I have a rag top and having the heater allows me to drive when ever it is a nice day no matter the temp. I've been out in 18* temp and had to turn the heater off once it got too hot inside.

Good luck and I look forward to watching your build.
    Last edited by Crawleyscobra; 02-15-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

9. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Sounds like a great Plan Boydster and how could anyone not love a BOSS 427?
    I was also torn on the wheels, the Torq Thrusts look great on these cars too. In the end I went with the Halibrands, but may go to Torq Thrusts one day. Like them both.
    BTW, I just installed a set of 17" Mickey Thompsons on my wheels and really like them so far. I think they are comparable to the Kuhmos (no longer manufactured).

A couple thoughts, not knowing the gearing on your tranny, but the 3.55 may be good for a 302, but for that much hp & torque, I think a smaller rear gear would suit your setup better.
    Also, I ran my roadster without a heater the first 2 years (I installed heated seats the second year). I installed a Vintage-Air heater, it was a pain, but I was glad I did it and it makes the ride more comfortable, taking off the cold morning chill. Also nice to stick your hands under the vent for a warm-up! Just saying.
    I am planning on heated seats, although not mentioned earlier. I will rethink the heater plan, thanks.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawleyscobra View Post
    Boyd,

First of all congrats on the order.

Second... Boss 427s do exist. It says so right on my Engine ID plate.

Engine_IDPlate.PNG

As for tire size my MK III has 255/40/R17 on the front and 315/35/R17 on the back with no rubbing issues. I've been running Goodyear F1 GSD3s, but now it's time for new tires and I am going with the Nitto NT05s

As for a heater I installed one and love it. I have a rag top and having the heater allows me to drive when ever it is a nice day no matter the temp. I've been out in 18* temp and had to turn the heater off once it got too hot inside.

Good luck and I look forward to watching your build.
    Holy smokes, I'd never seen that ID plate before. Fantastic!

Another vote for a heater... hmmm, got me thinking now.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

12. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Thanks for the input. So what do you think... 3.27? 3.08?

I'm planning on the TKO600 5008 w/.64 OD from Forte
    Last edited by Boydster; 02-15-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the same trans in my coupe. With 3.73 gears. My 408 makes 510 hp with 540lb/ft of torque, not very far from yours. I like it that I don't have to slip the clutch at every start. I haven't gotten past 3rd gear yet, but 3000 rpm should be about 95mph. If you are going with fuel injection, that would influence the decision but not necessarily change it. Mine is carbureted. 1st gear speed at 2000 rpm- 15; 2nd gear- 22; 3rd- 31; 4th- 42; 5th- 61mph.

Glen
    Last edited by GSides9; 02-15-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Thanks for the input. So what do you think... 3.27? 3.08?

I'm planning on the TKO600 5008 w/.64 OD from Forte
    What is the first gear ratio?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and good luck! That ID plate is awesome.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy smokes, I'd never seen that ID plate before. Fantastic!

Another vote for a heater... hmmm, got me thinking now.
    I originally was going to use a heater and ordered the FFR one with the kit. I mocked it up on the firewall and ultimately decided against it and went with heated seats. If you decide you want a heater I have one in the box I will make you a good deal on. The unit was mounted to the firewall but never used. All original parts back in the box.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    1st gear is 2.87.
    And his tires should be 25.5" diameter, compared to mine at 26.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    What is the first gear ratio?

Jeff
    Last edited by GSides9; 02-15-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Steve. I am planning on the 255 / 315 combo. Thinking Nitto NT05's.

The emblem... I had it custom made by www.billetbadges.com. A bit pricey, but one-of-a-kind. Its the first piece I bought for the car and probably the last piece I will install. Design and make your own!
    Thanks and I think that this may be my "Emblem Option" if I can come up with something witty!

Also, a friend of mine (Jerry) as a Type-65 (1st Generation) and had the NT05's on it. He could not drive the car if the roads were damp. Jerry now has a second set of wheels and tires and has mounted a set of INVO's on them and he loves them.

Please know that his car was a bit twitchy with the NT05's when it was dry and slicker than slippery excrement if the H2O began to fall so the NT05's are now only used for Auto Crossing!

NOTE: I've got the standard 555's on my daily driver and also on MK-4 project.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-15-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GSides9 View Post
    1st gear is 2.87.
    And his tires should be 25.5" diameter, compared to mine at 26.1
    Yes, the 2.87 first gear. And yes, 25.5 diameter tire.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    #9042 is home.
    IMG_20170215_134718.jpg

IMG_20170215_150107.jpg

Backorder list is not too bad, but some things that will hold me back early on. 4 spring collars, upper steering shaft, wiring harness, manual rack (not using), front lower control arms, lower control arm flanged bolts, rollbar.

Time for inventory!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2.87 combined with the 3.55 rear will work well with an overall reduction of 10.1:1which will give you some "legs" in first. I'd feel differently if you had the 3.27 first gear which renders a really short 11.6:1 overall. You're gonna love second gear---that's where the party happens

Jeff

23. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GSides9 View Post
    I'm using the same trans in my coupe. With 3.73 gears. My 408 makes 510 hp with 540lb/ft of torque, not very far from yours. I like it that I don't have to slip the clutch at every start. I haven't gotten past 3rd gear yet, but 3000 rpm should be about 95mph. If you are going with fuel injection, that would influence the decision but not necessarily change it. Mine is carbureted. 1st gear speed at 2000 rpm- 15; 2nd gear- 22; 3rd- 31; 4th- 42; 5th- 61mph.

Glen
    Thanks Glen. Yes, I am going Fuelie. Seems like I may still like the 3.55, but I'm still listening...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The 2.87 combined with the 3.55 rear will work well with an overall reduction of 10.1:1which will give you some "legs" in first. I'd feel differently if you had the 3.27 first gear which renders a really short 11.6:1 overall. You're gonna love second gear---that's where the party happens

Jeff
    Awesome. Thanks Jeff. Party in 2nd gear... I like that.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    As usual, I agree with Jeff. I'd expect your engine should run better with fuel injection at lower rpms than mine. Probably making that 3.55 gear the perfect choice, and it happens in second gear. If we picked the road racing overdrive ratio transmission, I'd be picking a different rear axle ratio too.

During our build we made quite a few access panels so we could get to things that I thought may need adjustments later on. Just one thing that makes every one unique.

Enjoy your build, Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I originally was going to use a heater and ordered the FFR one with the kit. I mocked it up on the firewall and ultimately decided against it and went with heated seats. If you decide you want a heater I have one in the box I will make you a good deal on. The unit was mounted to the firewall but never used. All original parts back in the box.
    Scott, while thinking this over, I decided it would be better to have a heater installed during the build and never need it, than it would be to not install one and need it when the build is complete.

Lets talk about the complete one you have... going to PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boydster, thanks for the heads-up on your build thread. I will keep up on your build.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Finding things to do until the body comes off on Monday.

Inventory is done. I got 2 fuel level gauges and no water temp gauge. Got 2 power steering adapters and no manual one (need it cuz I'm swapping one with someone else). Thats it.

Started assembling shocks, found I'm missing the 2 snap rings for the front shocks (not an inventory item).

Sent emails about these minor items, nothing that will stop me for now.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Get it man.... I am Brian (from facebook) I got a lot accomplished yesterday on my build.... I cant wait for yours to fire up here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some work done today. Got the body off for the first time, got all the aluminum marked, also marked for which panels get powdercoated on which side.
    IMG_20170220_172642.jpg

Got all my steel pieces together for powdercoating, too. All the aluminum is now removed. Tomorrow starts marking, drilling and clecoing.
    IMG_20170220_185033.jpg

IMG_20170220_185042.jpg

IMG_20170220_185048.jpg
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd
    Good to see the Dolly and Body buck are coming I handy.
    Gary
    Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, Wilwood brakes, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grluisi150 View Post
    Boyd
    Good to see the Dolly and Body buck are coming I handy.
    Gary
    Most definitely! Thanks!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't been able to do too much this week. Fit the FFMetals .090 firewall, drilled and cleco'd all the front end aluminum. All of that and the steel parts are now at the powdercoater. Color is going to be hammered gray on the aluminum and gloss black, like the frame, on all the bare steel parts.

I'm deburring every hole, aluminum and steel. Everything sits nice n flat and there's no metal chips in between.

Setup all the rear suspension on the bench, got it ready to go in today. Might get started on the steering. If time smiles on me, I'll get going on the fuel tank. Going to ACE Hardware to get my Kleiner parts for the rear body bolts (note I said "body" and not "bumper").

Just some of the few things I can do while waiting for the F panels to come back so I can do the front suspension.

F5R made good on the 2 items I found wrong with my inventory, plus sent over 1/2 of the backordered items. Everything is falling into place so far.

I'll have some pics later of what I get done this weekend.

In the meantime, here's a kind of cool pic I took at work the other day...
    IMG_20170216_100246.jpg
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some good work done Saturday. Moser rear installed and everything torqued in. Installed Breeze spherical bearing lower control arms. I like the adjustability and solid joints. I'll be keeping the F5R forged aluminum lower arms as backup if I decide I need the softer bushings.
    Had a real issue with some of the steel locknuts in the kit. Some of them were evidently squeezed too far and made it near impossible to install. I was well over 100 ft/lbs just in running torque and it was starting to seriously deform the bolt threads. Some of the nuts worked just fine. I replaced the bad ones with some gr 8 nylon locknuts. I'll keep an eye on em.

Rear installed.jpg

Installed the Breeze power rack with solid bushings. Needed zero adjustment as the side-to-side was within 1/16" according to Breeze instructions. Also following The Karlos Procedure posted a few years ago as the build progresses. This rack is as centered as it can be... for now.

Breeze rack.jpg

I now have rags taped around the inner tie rods. Yeouch.

So thats how 9042 sits so far. Not a bad days work. Headed out this morning to meet some of the Capital Area Cobra Club for breakfast, then the rest of today will be back in the garage.

Steering and rear.jpg
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't been able to do too much this week. Fit the FFMetals .090 firewall, drilled and cleco'd all the front end aluminum. All of that and the steel parts are now at the powdercoater. Color is going to be hammered gray on the aluminum and gloss black, like the frame, on all the bare steel parts.

I'm deburring every hole, aluminum and steel. Everything sits nice n flat and there's no metal chips in between.

Setup all the rear suspension on the bench, got it ready to go in today. Might get started on the steering. If time smiles on me, I'll get going on the fuel tank. Going to ACE Hardware to get my Kleiner parts for the rear body bolts (note I said "body" and not "bumper").

Just some of the few things I can do while waiting for the F panels to come back so I can do the front suspension.

F5R made good on the 2 items I found wrong with my inventory, plus sent over 1/2 of the backordered items. Everything is falling into place so far.

I'll have some pics later of what I get done this weekend.

In the meantime, here's a kind of cool pic I took at work the other day...
    IMG_20170216_100246.jpg
    Cool pic! 767??
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 02-26-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool pic! 767??
    Yep, nice call. UPS 767-300. We were changing #5 & #6 brakes. Not often we get to see a stripped axle.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, nice call. UPS 767-300. We were changing #5 & #6 brakes. Not often we get to see a stripped axle.
    Cool. Used to fly the -200, and -300 models. I've never seen the axle like that. Now back to the build thread..... haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. Used to fly the -200, and -300 models. I've never seen the axle like that.
    Excellent. I love this airplane. I'm about as full qualified as a mechanic can be... full power engine runs, high speed taxis, full CAT maintenance. Good times.

Now back to the build thread..... haha
    OK, if we must...

I'm looking for a place to mount this.

IMG_20170227_082222.jpg

I'm not really a fan of over the axle, since it will require tool access to maintain. There's really no flat area large enough for the clamps. I'm thinking under the passenger seat pan, snuggled up next to the frame tube. Maybe a flex line from the tank to there, then hard line from the filter up to the engine. The flex line on one end makes it easy to remove. My only issue with this is that it becomes exposed to road debris off the tires... perhaps I could make a shield around it. But this thing really is heavy duty. It weighs about 2 lbs dry. I think it would take a cinder block to damage it.

Thoughts?
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel Tank: Still waiting on panels to finish at the powdercoater, so finding other things to do.

Setup the fuel tank level sender and installed the Pro-M fuel pickup with a new Walbro 190LPH pump.
    Here's my thinking on the pump: Optimal GPH = (max hp x BSFC) / 6
    The 427W x-head makes 450hp. Consider a .5 BSFC for a normally aspirated engine, /6 = 37.5 GpH. Convert to 142 LpH. Add in a 10% safety factor and I figure the minimum pump is 157 LpH.
    Bumped it up to the Walbro 190, which means I also have room for a hp increase down the road if I deem it necessary.

With the Pro-M fuel pickup, both pressure and return lines are 3/8" with -6AN fittings on top. The return goes all the way into the bottom of the tank, preventing the returning fuel from aerating the fuel in the tank.
    My entire fuel system will be -6AN (3/8"), including return, so there won't be any issues with restricting return flow at low fuel consumption rates.

There is a mod to do when installing the Pro-M, you have to cut 2 small additional notches in the opening of the tank. I used a rat-tail file and it was easy to do. It's just enough to allow the larger & longer return to slip in. Figured this has been done a bunch of times, so didnt take any pics till it was in.

Pro-M pickup.jpg

Installed the tank. No need to drill a hole for the fill tube retainer, there's a hole in the tank lip for it. Also still need a longer bolt for the passenger side front strap mount. Not much new here.

Tank in.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see if the powdercoat stuff is ready, also expecting a few deliveries.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same fuel pump hanger w/ 3/8" in and out. I found you could flex the return line enough to get into the gas tank without notching the flange. Those fittings look like Russel, but they all look the same now. I used 6 An to a 3/8" barb on both of the pump hanger lines, push and twist flexible rubber to the filter and quick disconnect to barb next to the supplied filter, which happened to be 3/8" in and out. You car looks great. It must feel nice sitting in one you know every nut, bolt and rivet.
    Last edited by Railroad; 03-06-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Railroad.
    I bought those fittings separate. They are Earls Hard Anodized black Swivel Seal fittings. I used AN Plumbing to figure out what I needed and then usually ordered from Summit.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent a cold day in the garage today. Got my fuel filter installed under the passenger seat, Breeze front battery box mounted, hoses ran for the axle and fuel tank vents, made the pressure hose to run from the tank to the filter. I'll be making more hoses tomorrow. Ordered a bunch of adel clamps for all these hoses and finalized / ordered all the pieces I'll need for the rest of the fuel system.

Still waiting on the powdercoater for my engine comp't aluminum, F-panels and all the bare steel pieces.

Few pics, not much to see...

Breeze battery box.jpg

fuel hose.jpg

fuel filter.jpg
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

44. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I looked at the pics I posted above, I felt something was wrong in the pic of the fuel pickup. Some research and yeah, almost made a big mistake. Learn to mark the tubes when they are all the same size... and dont install your pressure line to the filter on the return port.

fuel-pump-hanger-1---path_2.jpg fuel hose.jpg
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a lot done this week. Powdercoater called and said they couldn't get the hammer grey powder I wanted. Stopped in and picked out a regular grey. They did get the gloss black steel parts done, so I took those.
    gloss black steel.jpg

Built the pedal box and installed the brake master cylinders and the Forte clutch cylinder.
    Every cylinder pushrod is within 1/2 turn of being bottomed out inside the clevis. The brake pedal is about 1/16" off the frame and the clutch pedal is about 1.5" too high. Is this a problem with adjustments later on? Am I OK to cut the rods some?
    master cylinders.jpg

Went ahead and installed the Russ Thompson throttle pedal (I will be using a Forte mechanical linkage) and the Wilwood pedal covers.
    pedals.jpg

Also installed my lower control arms. DS took 2 spacers, PS only 1. Using Howe upper and lower ball joints with Energy Suspension poly boots.
    lower arms.jpg

Did some work on running fuel lines, but cant do too much till I get the front aluminum back, build the footboxes and install the .090 firewall.
    More next week...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast