Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  62
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Boss 427 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great! Really digging the blue pin striping.

Post Thanks / Like
    So she's on the road and we are driving. Been putting on a few miles just in the neighborhood.

Last night, a lady friend came over and helped me put one of the final touches on the outside of the car. Back before I ever bought from F5, I designed and bought these BOSS 427 side badges from Billet Badges.

We went for a ride. Had to sit up on top of my seat at the bank's ATM. Went to a Street Survivors Cruise In in Glen Burnie. The Boss got a few nice compliments. We got her up on the I-state for a little bit, saw north of 60mph for the first time. She feels good, sounds good, feels quite small. My lady friend has driven some hi po cars in the past, including a 1000 hp 2003 Mustang. She LOVES the Factory 5.

It was a good evening. I think we are taking it out again tonight to a larger Cruise In on the other side of town. See if I can get pics this time.

Hoping for MD State Inspection on Monday.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

3. Likes Caddy Dad, ydousurf, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Boyd. Lots of nice touches that make this a unique build. Telling you to have fun and enjoy the ride is unnecessary at this point. You’ve got that covered.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Great job Boyd. Lots of nice touches that make this a unique build. Telling you to have fun and enjoy the ride is unnecessary at this point. You’ve got that covered.
    -Steve
    Thank you very much, Steve. Definitely having fun. Interesting the shift from building something ("I'm doing this") to actually putting it to use ("I'm driving something I built"). Its fun, it's nerve-wracking, it's amazing.

We stopped and got a pizza on the way home last night, and I kept looking outside while we were waiting on the order. My lady friend asked if she wanted me to go out and babysit it while I waited. She understands me...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

6. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went for another drive yesterday. Got up on the interstate, up to a cruise at 75mph. She felt really, really good. Drifts a bit to the left when letting go of the wheel, so slight it might be the road. No wheel balance issues. She's makin me a happy dude.

Getting a lot of heat from around the footbox. Yes, I had stuffed window air conditioner foam in there, as well as a chunk of foam I had around. Made me think my heater valve was leaking. I'll get some low expanding foam to shoot in there. Also need to readjust ride height. Havent measured at the frame yet, but the body is right on the back tires with about 1.5" gap up front. I'll get that straightened out today.

Need to make a windshield wiper gasket today, only got 1 in my kit, then finish those. Hopefully going for State Inspection tomorrow to get regular stickers.

Took her to the local sat night Cruise In at Brusters Ice Cream, Glen Burnie. Lots of cars there, some very, very nice. Chatted with a bunch of people, received many compliments. Most common questions were 1. How much did it cost? and 2. What kind of car is it built on? Never answered the first one and people were kinda shocked when I explained the 2nd one.

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

8. Likes MSumners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get the same questions about mine. What frame is it built on? Do you just bolt the body panels on? Why do you want to repaint it if it comes painted?
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

10. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    She passed MD State Inspection today at Auto Italia of Rockville, MD. Place has nice experience with Factory 5's.

After the test drive, Shop Manager looked up at me and said "Nice car. Drives really nice". Yowza.

One more stop at the MVA...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

12. Likes Caddy Dad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your car looks fantastic!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMeindl View Post
    Your car looks fantastic!!
    Thanks Pete. I'm very happy with how it has finished.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear things are going well!!
    I get more "thumbs-up" from kids, truckers, and bikers than anyone else.

(It is kinda scary looking at 18-wheelers right in the lugnuts!)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

16. Thanks red.barchetta thanked for this post
    Likes red.barchetta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Glad to hear things are going well!!
    I get more "thumbs-up" from kids, truckers, and bikers than anyone else.

(It is kinda scary looking at 18-wheelers right in the lugnuts!)
    Thanks Fixit.
    I've noticed that... Having ridden bikes for many years, I'm very aware of being in blind spots and staying where I can be seen. But this F5 is a whole new story... I'm below other peoples mirrors!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd-

She looks great, and you must be stoked to get her out there; and now to do it legally!!

I am sure you are getting lots of positive feedback at the shows, and you should!

You have some more good driving weather up there before winter shuts you down, and I hope you and your lady friend get to have plenty of fun.

Great job on a great looking car!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahah! My car was on this exact lift 1 year ago for its inspection too.
    I work 45 seconds down the street too, I wish I met this beauty! But was off yesterday....
    Congrats!

20. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I'm a single dude, I'm involved in animal rescue and enjoy seeing people smile and laugh, well, there's several reasons for this to have happened yesterday.

Oh, and I also replaced the power steering pump and reservoir with some pressure and flow help from the guys at Jones Racing. Good stuff. Never liked my old setup with a U-turned -10 AN feed hose. Now the reservoir is right on the pump.
    Attended a Veterans Day car show this last sunday with 285 other cars. Got one of 85 Participant Judged trophies.

Finally got it aligned at a local shop. We had to custom input the numbers into the Hunter, glad the tech let me work with him. I had it very, very close, only had to adjust 1 camber and 1 toe. Rear is perfect.

She just continues to get better and better...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,

This made me smile and think good thoughts seeing your plate I'm sure it will have the same effect on others, whether you drive by or are just stopped some where. And hats off to all your hard work for our four legged friends! It's people like you that make me believe we still have a hope for humanity! You're a true hero who doesn't wear a cape? Keep up the great work on the car and with the animal rescues too!

Dj

23. Thanks Boydster thanked for this post
    Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect!
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

25. Thanks Boydster thanked for this post
    Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow - another fantastic build thread and an amazing finished product. I learned a lot from this one - congratulations Boyd and thanks for sharing!

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    New to the forums and read this cover to cover. You should be proud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boyd, I'm hoping I'm only a year or so behind you but you know how that goes. The build thread has been really helpful and the finished product is something to be really proud of. Gray is one of my candidate colors and your combination (down to the blue pinstripes!) is really, really well done. Hard to find a gray that's rich and deep instead of cold, and you nailed it. I'd say have fun, but clearly you're already doing that. Way to go and congratulations! Cheers, -- John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Spent a cold day in the garage today. Got my fuel filter installed under the passenger seat, Breeze front battery box mounted, hoses ran for the axle and fuel tank vents, made the pressure hose to run from the tank to the filter. I'll be making more hoses tomorrow. Ordered a bunch of adel clamps for all these hoses and finalized / ordered all the pieces I'll need for the rest of the fuel system.

Still waiting on the powdercoater for my engine comp't aluminum, F-panels and all the bare steel pieces.
    Few pics, not much to see...

Attachment 64712
    what fuel filter did you go with? why not the one that comes with the kit?
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Last few days have been pretty nice during the mid-day, so I'm still working on putting on miles and expanding my distance from home. I'm up to about 125 miles now and no issues have popped up.

Stopped by the GF's work to take her out to lunch, but she was running business errands so I took her parking spot under threat of Tow-Away. Took a pic to tease her... she said the Boss looks awfully good in that spot!

Might try for Annapolis CnC this sunday, forecast is mid to upper 40's in the am with 40% chance of rain. We'll see if it gets better...

The quality of this car continues to amaze me. The handling is fantastic. I had her up to 82 cruising on the interstate, and it was just getting started, but felt so good n solid. F5 has put together a beautiful, well designed product that does not fail to impress.
    The Gas-N headers and pipes are doing well, no leaks and the sound level has not been an issue. Manual Wilwood brakes with the NT05's will solidly test your safety harness. I could go on and on...

I have not yet found an issue with any of the choices I made or any of the parts I installed. Everything is working well and she continues to make me smile every time I see her. The car, not the girl. Well, her too, but you know what I mean...
    Last edited by Boydster; 11-22-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_dr View Post
    Wow - another fantastic build thread and an amazing finished product. I learned a lot from this one - congratulations Boyd and thanks for sharing!

Andy
    Thanks Andy. There's a lot of build threads on here that I learned from, glad I could contribute to helping another.

Boyd
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    New to the forums and read this cover to cover. You should be proud!
    Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum! I got your first post... Yay!!

Its been a good time doing this build. Now moving on to driving it and learning it is just a new part of experiencing the same machine. And yes, I am quite proud of what I've been able to do, but I couldnt have done this without the help of others on here, local builders helping with some hands-on or just ideas and definitely by reading others build logs.

Are you planning on or already building? Just looking?

Boyd
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post
    Hey Boyd, I'm hoping I'm only a year or so behind you but you know how that goes. The build thread has been really helpful and the finished product is something to be really proud of. Gray is one of my candidate colors and your combination (down to the blue pinstripes!) is really, really well done. Hard to find a gray that's rich and deep instead of cold, and you nailed it. I'd say have fun, but clearly you're already doing that. Way to go and congratulations! Cheers, -- John
    Thanks John. My color choices were either blue or gray. Fav color is blue and there's some outstanding blues out there today. But I wanted something a little different, not "another blue Cobra...". I decided on the Gray because I had an 84 SVO Mustang that was Dark Metallic Charcoal Gray and I loved that color. When I dropped off the body at Whitby's, Jeff showed me some grays that were outstanding, but this one, the Sterling, took it. There was another F5 Roadster there that had just been shot with the Sterling and that sealed it. Later on I saw a Coupe done in Sterling and it looked just as good.

Thanks for the nice words of support. Keep at yours... you'll get there.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

34. Thanks John Ibele thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    what fuel filter did you go with? why not the one that comes with the kit?
    I used the Holley 162-552, 10 micron. I'm using -6AN (3/8 lines) threaded fittings throughout the car. The F5 / Ford filter uses push-on fittings and smaller hose, so it wouldnt work for my application. If you build as designed, the supplied filter will work fine.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

36. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Boyd. Congratulations on getting it on the road. It looks like we aren’t too far apart, I’ve got 900 miles already in just two months. Very nice work.

Watch out though, with a car like that and that license plate you may end up with too many girlfriends.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Looks good Boyd. Congratulations on getting it on the road. It looks like we aren’t too far apart, I’ve got 900 miles already in just two months. Very nice work.

Watch out though, with a car like that and that license plate you may end up with too many girlfriends.
    One at a time, ladies, one at a time...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum! I got your first post... Yay!!

Its been a good time doing this build. Now moving on to driving it and learning it is just a new part of experiencing the same machine. And yes, I am quite proud of what I've been able to do, but I couldnt have done this without the help of others on here, local builders helping with some hands-on or just ideas and definitely by reading others build logs.

Are you planning on or already building? Just looking?

Boyd
    My first post and now you'll get my second!

I am doing research and planning my build, still a few years away though. Right now I'm trying to nail down what engine I want to go with...leaning towards a 408 as opposed to a mod motor. Sending a PM!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting further and further from home. Monday did a 50 mile loop from my house out to Annapolis and back. Car is running really, really well.

Only items I've had so far are small things that needed a bit of tightening... the drivers seatbelt Cam-Lock knob was coming loose, the fuel tank lockring for the quantity sending unit was a bit loose, causing a minor fuel leak the first time I went to full tank, and the drivers outer rollbar leg bolts were loose and started a pretty loud rattle I could hear in the seat on the hiway. Thats been it so far.

As I was riding up through the main drag of downtown Annapolis, I could see people off to the side taking pictures. I had my WOOF hat on.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

41. Likes MSumners, ydousurf, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome! I hope you don't mind if I reuse your color scheme.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Dad View Post
    Looks awesome! I hope you don't mind if I reuse your color scheme.
    Nope, feel free. Just dont park next to me.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a problem with the Boss runnin really rich, sorta mis-firing, couldnt even get it to idle to warm up. Plugs replaced, spark confirmed. FiTech codes said O2 sensor, replaced it, helped a little. Searching through FiTech controller, found idle IAC steps were up at 135... should be between 3-10. That means the idle air control was cracking the plates open, dumping in more air, the o2 sensor was commanding more fuel, but the computer was trying to keep the idle down at 800-850. Makes it run really bad.

Got the IAC steps down to 7 at a warm idle, she's much happier now. Few days ago, it was up to almost 80* with no rain, so I introduced her to Knoxville (or Knoxville to her!). Good times and glad The Boss Is Back. Just wondering what made the IAC steps change like that. Will talk to FiTech sometime and see what they say.

Only other items I've run across is the engine rpms drop way too fast between gears and when clutching, and I still have bodacious amounts of heat coming in around the footbox.
    I slowed down the decel rate with the "Decel Open IAC" settings. Normal is zero, you can go negative for faster decel or positive for slower. I added 10 positive, and a quick test drive looks promising. Makes for much smoother shifts and less fear of it dying as it comes down to idle.
    I have already sprayed low-expansion foam into the gap around the footbox, but still have heat coming in. I'll have to try the split pool noodle trick.

Hope everyone is healthy and safe...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    wait Knoxville? Have you moved
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    wait Knoxville? Have you moved
    Guess I failed to mention that part... yeah, I moved about a month ago. Got an opportunity to work at TYS, doing the same job with the same company. I have a lot of family around SE Tenn, and it's where my folks are from, even tho I've never lived there.
    The living is cheaper, beautiful mountains nearby and less than 1/2 of the population of where I came from.
    Cannot wait to get The Boss up into the Smokies, if it ever quits raining.

Nice work on the 911, Scott.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boyd,
    I'm interested to see how you solve the heat in the footbox issue. I didn't install a heater and planning on sealing up the footboxes the best I can. I was worried that it would be too cold!

Thanks!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping that in mind. I layover in TYS from time to time. Would be awesome to hook up for a ride!!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Keeping that in mind. I layover in TYS from time to time. Would be awesome to hook up for a ride!!
    Excellent! Send ya back to your aircraft with a wind-blown look. I'll PM ya my number, text works best.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Dad View Post
    Hey Boyd,
    I'm interested to see how you solve the heat in the footbox issue. I didn't install a heater and planning on sealing up the footboxes the best I can. I was worried that it would be too cold!

Thanks!
    Well, the heat is not actually in the footbox. It comes from the header area, then around the outside of the footbox. It comes out just in front of the door, so way too far back to be heating up the box.
    When the body was installed, I did use the square pieces that came from F5... my thinking is they shifted some. I tried some low expanding foam but perhaps didnt get it spread around enough. When I can get under the car (It's in my bros 1.5 garage right now, sharing space with the Rocket), I'll get some split noodle shoved in there to seal it up.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd, how much heat do you get in the footboy now, is it enough not to need a heater??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriza84641 View Post
    Boyd, how much heat do you get in the footboy now, is it enough not to need a heater??
    I only have 400 miles on it so far. End of '19 / start of '20 has been rough for getting in some car time.

I have not noticed any heat in the footbox. I have used the heater once, and that was not terribly bad. I did seal my footboxes very well... the problem I'm having now is the heat coming around the outside of the footboz, along the insode of the body.

I have a heater and heated seats... I dont like being cold. I'm glad I have them.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast