Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  62
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boss 427 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Question about the balance bar. I did some searching and think I've got it started correctly.

Thread the cylinder pushrods in until the cylinders are putting no pressure on the pedal, correct? I have my pedal about 1/16" off the crossbar and the cylinder pushrods are bottomed out, or very very close to being bottomed out, against the threaded balance bar.

I'm thinking this is OK as the only adjustment that should be needed later is the bar itself. As long as the pushrods are not tight against the bar (they aren't), it should be good, correct?

I started playing with the balance bar to learn how it works. I've got it adjusted to actuate both cylinders exactly the same, but this requires the spherical bearing to be almost at the limit to the front brake side. I know I'll be adjusting it later according to how the car brakes, but does this seem correct? Or it doesnt really matter at this point and i'm over thinking?

Thanks...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boyd,

Not sure if you came up with a place to mount your fuel filter but here is where I mounted mine. Passenger side right ahead of the seat pan.

Cheers

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Question about the balance bar. I did some searching and think I've got it started correctly.

Thread the cylinder pushrods in until the cylinders are putting no pressure on the pedal, correct? I have my pedal about 1/16" off the crossbar and the cylinder pushrods are bottomed out, or very very close to being bottomed out, against the threaded balance bar.

I'm thinking this is OK as the only adjustment that should be needed later is the bar itself. As long as the pushrods are not tight against the bar (they aren't), it should be good, correct?

I started playing with the balance bar to learn how it works. I've got it adjusted to actuate both cylinders exactly the same, but this requires the spherical bearing to be almost at the limit to the front brake side. I know I'll be adjusting it later according to how the car brakes, but does this seem correct? Or it doesnt really matter at this point and i'm over thinking?

Thanks...
    Sometimes it's necessary to cut a little off the MC pushrods. No problem as long as they're fully threaded through the clevis. So don't hesitate to do that if you can't get them where you want. I'd start with the balance bar centered. You really can't tell much until the brakes are bled, which I assume you haven't yet.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Sometimes it's necessary to cut a little off the MC pushrods. No problem as long as they're fully threaded through the clevis. So don't hesitate to do that if you can't get them where you want. I'd start with the balance bar centered. You really can't tell much until the brakes are bled, which I assume you haven't yet.
    Got it. brakes aren't bled yet, no lines yet. I might take 1/4" off the ends just so it's not so close. Thanks!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Been on vacation, so haven't gotten much done this week.

Had an issue with the Wilwood MC rods bottoming out on the bias clevis just as pressure was coming off the springs in the MC's and the brake pedal only about 1/8" off the crossbar. No adjustment room at all. Cut 3/8" off the end of each MC rod, still plenty of engagement, easily adjusted so each MC is just at its limit with the pedal sitting right at the crossbar. Set the balance bar up centered.

Also had in issue with the Forte / Wilwood clutch MC. With the MC rod threaded in until it bottomed against the pedal, the pedal was about 1.5" higher than the brake and the clutch safety switch couldn't be adjusted... it was bottomed out against the rear pedalbox mount and the switch housing was being compressed by the pedal. So again, I cut 3/8" off the end of the MC. This allowed me to adjust the MC for pedal height equal to the brake and adjust the clutch switch. But now... the pedal hits the 3/4" frame. So I went at the pedal with a Dremel and a sanding drum, little at a time until it cleared. Required about 1/8" removal. Polished it up, painted the bare spot and good to go.

pedals 2.jpg

Still waiting on my powdercoater (its been a month? Really?) for my engine bay panels, so I decided to start working on cockpit aluminum. No real eurekas here, same stuff everyone has done. Did rivet my floors to the 4" frame tubes, just seemed a lot more secure that way and I dont think those little holes will affect the structural integrity. Got most of the cockpit done, left the back wall clecoed until the trunk floor is installed. Installing a Breeze Cubby Compartment in this panel, so that may be easier to do when removed. Drivers outside footbox and floor is clecoed, as is the same panels for the passenger.

aluminum 2.jpg

aluminum 1.jpg

Working 10 hour days this week, so may not get much done till the weekend. If I get my panels back this week, I'll be kicking in the front end.
    Last edited by Boydster; 03-21-2017 at 02:44 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Planecrazy1976 View Post
    Hey Boyd,

Not sure if you came up with a place to mount your fuel filter but here is where I mounted mine. Passenger side right ahead of the seat pan.

Cheers

Greg
    Thank Greg. I ended up bolting mine to the bottom of the seat pan. If the bolts get in the way of the seat, I can change the mounts pretty easy.
    Thanks!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got my few pieces back from powdercoat. Just a nice grey with a little bit of texture. Installed the F panels and built the passenger footbox.
    Note some of the black panels... I'm just cleaning and painting those since they wont be seen once the body is on.
    Pass footbox.jpg

Built the front suspension. I replaced all 4 ball joints with Howe units and the outer tie rod ends with Moog pieces.
    front build 1.jpg
    front build 2.jpg

Installed the front brakes. FFR optional 12.8 Wilwoods.
    wilwood front 1.jpg
    wilwood front 2.jpg

Of course, this called for a clearance check.
    front wheel and brake.jpg
    wheel check.jpg

Its starting to look like something... sort of.

Put to bed. This is the 5th build for that body buck and the 3rd build for the frame dolly. Pretty cool.
    put to bed.jpg

Thanks for reading...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really enjoying your build thread. I am from Lubbock, TX and am about the same level of progress you are, in fact I think you may have passed me. Haha. You are doing really good work and the pictures have really helped me visualize some things.

I had a lot of trouble with F5R getting my parts. Big time. I know they are a good company, but sometimes orders can slip through the cracks. I understand that. It is in no way impeding me though, for most of my parts I am buying on my own anyway. Building these cars is a great learning experience. It teaches perseverance and problem solving. When frustration occurs (often), you just pull your pants up and work your way through it. This forum is incredibly helpful. It is also a great learning experience for my kids when they decide to "try" to help.

I'm doing a small block 427 with std width IRS. I also have all of my panels powder coated like yours. I'm looking forward to following this thread with all the pics, info, etc. thanks for doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CatBuster95. I havent done anything yet that 5,000 others havent done. But I'm enjoying it and having a bit of fun putting it up on the forum. Later I'll get into more modifications as the build progresses.

When my car was delivered, the driver said one of his stops was Texas. Was that you back in February?
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Boyd, Could you tell me what oil pan you are using? I have a 428 that I need to button up before I order my kit. They tell me that it makes a difference on a big block on the oil pan and how it fits in the frame. Don't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks, Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Boyd thought you had a 427 big block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, planning on a 427W. Sorry I cant help ya.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good man... I hope my 427w ships next week!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Still gettin a few things done, just nothing that goes quick and look great.

Got my steering shaft installed. When I was waiting on the powdercoat panels, I did a few things ahead of time, one of which was installing the Breeze PS rack. Well, dont do that before you install the steering shaft. There's no room to 'pop' the shaft in. Had to take the whole rack loose, while still attached at the tie rods, and get things to move enough to get the shaft adapter on, then maneuver everything back around to remount the rack. Even the manual has you doing them at the same time... ahem. All good now.

Steering Shaft.jpg

Installed my Wilwood stainless lines and brackets...

stainless hoses.jpg

Started insulating the passenger footwell. I'm using Thermo-Tec sound and heat insulation

pass footwell sound and heat protectioin.jpg

Made and installed the front brake crossover line. I'm using CNF lines from Fed Hill. Also bought all MS aircraft clamps for all brake and fuel lines. Had to put a quirky little loop in the passenger side, not crazy about it, but it's solid.

front brake line.jpg

Tomorrow I'm working on more brake lines and the fuel lines. In the meantime...

me and the Boss 427.jpg
    Last edited by Boydster; 03-28-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    Looking good man... I hope my 427w ships next week!!
    Woo hoo!

Whose 427 are you getting? I'm getting the Ford crate x-head version, then finishing the rest of it myself.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got my aluminum back last week. Installed the PS footbox, F panels, front suspension, brakes, steering shaft and started in on brake and fuel lines.

wilwood front 1.jpg

fuel pressure and return lines.jpg

I know I'm pretty good at most mechanical things, but I discovered I am not good at bending lines. Either bent too early or too late and end up having to do a compensate bend. Trashed several lines already. Have spent a lot of hours on these lines and still not done. Using the Eastwood flaring tool and tube bender and they work great. Just my thinking of how to bend so it ends up in the right place that isnt working too well. I'll get through it soon enough. Need to go buy one more stick of 3/16 Nicopp...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boydster; 04-03-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! I really didn't like bending lines either.
    You mentioned taking the rack loose to install the steering shaft. With the coyote I had to swing the shaft out of the way to get the motor in. Not sure if that will be an issue with the size of your 427 or not but just something to consider for your planning.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    ...Not sure if that will be an issue with the size of your 427 or not but just something to consider for your planning.
    Thanks. The 427W is the same sizeas the 351. I'll do some research and see if any others have had issues. Thanks.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some questions regarding the driver side footbox and the bigger motors. I'm 6'5" with wide feet, so my concern is whether or not ( or how much ) the footbox is smaller on a 351 bored and stroked to 427 than it would be on a 302. While I know I can get nice reliable efficient HP from a 302 , I have it in my mind that a 427 is the size this car was made for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_d View Post
    I have some questions regarding the driver side footbox and the bigger motors. I'm 6'5" with wide feet, so my concern is whether or not ( or how much ) the footbox is smaller on a 351 bored and stroked to 427 than it would be on a 302. While I know I can get nice reliable efficient HP from a 302 , I have it in my mind that a 427 is the size this car was made for.
    Someone with experience may have a better answer, but here's what I know... the 351 is bigger than the 302 in the deck height. The exhaust can get quite tight and it makes the intake a bit higher. But both engines fit with the footboxes as supplied from F5. There's no external size difference between the 351 and the 427W. If you look at the Ford performance web, for the size of the 427W, they show you a 351.

This car (F5 roadster) was originally designed for a 5.0 / 302. Some changes have been made over the years to the footboxes to use space more efficiently, but the 289 / 302 / 5.0 is still the best fit in a stock car.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    The exhaust is probably why I keep thinking it's going to squeeze my foot box to put a 427 in. I just have to let go, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    No sir, I had mine delivered last July.

Post Thanks / Like
    Working 10 hour days doesnt leave me much time for working on the roadster. So things are going slow. But they are progressing!

This week, I built a fuel tank vent after visiting Lowes and House of Tropicals. Inside is charcoal in a filter bag. I glued the whole thing together. When it needs to be replaced, I have more bags and charcoal, just need to buy the end caps. Whole thing cost about $10. I'll get some 1.5" clamps to secure it once the aluminum is done.
    fuel tank vent.jpg

Installed a real axle vent instead of the barb n hose arrangement. This is a Ford vent that has 7/16-20 threads and of course the Moser axle is 1/4NPT.
    Adapter is Earls 916144, vent is Ford 4R3Z4022AA.
    axle vent parts.jpg
    axle vent installed.jpg

Fuel system is complete from pump in tank to the engine compartment. All Nicopp lines, AN 37* hardware and MS padded clamps. Of course the hoses in the engine bay will be made later... like when I actually have an engine. Pressure tested to 100psi, no leaks.
    fuel done 1.jpg

fuel done 2.jpg

fuel done 3.jpg
    Last edited by Boydster; 04-09-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    There's been some discussion elsewhere about the steering shaft being too tight between the rack and the first bearing to enable indexing the splines for a straight steering wheel. I ended up using a combination of suggestions...

I'm running a Breeze power rack and Wilwood pedal box. Using Mike Eversons suggestion, I moved the first bearing to the inside of the footbox. This required some trimming of the bearing retainer.
    retainer grind.jpg

Installed on the inside of the box:
    bearing inside inner.jpg

Still not enough space to pull the adapter off the rack.
    Tried a 1/8" stack of washers to move the bearing even further in, and still no joy. Not going any further with that idea.

Then Melb-Mike came up with the idea of removing the shaft from the adapter instead of the adapter from the rack. Requires less space to move. Removed the washers from the bearing and voila, it worked. Barely, and the shaft has to be lined up just right to pop it out. Then the shaft can be moved away and the adapter realigned as needed.
    steering rod apart.jpg

With the rack previously centered in the frame, the steering at approx 1.5 turns of a 3-turn rack, I was able to line up the shaft with the wheel installed for a straight wheel. I know its only close until I do an alignmnet, but I know I'll be able to adjust it when I need to.
    wheel straight.jpg
    Last edited by Boydster; 04-10-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Also got the brake system almost finished, just need some fittings for the reservoirs.

The CNC stuff is nice, but I like the F5 reservoirs, so I got another from here on the forum and bought a 3rd for the hyd clutch.

Made a bracket from .040 and a 5" length of 3/4 angle. Its riveted to the 3/4 on 2 sides so there's no wobble. I used countersunk rivets on the face so they wouldn't interfere with the reservoir mounts, but turns out it wasn't required. Not beautiful, but it'll work.
    Just need those fittings and I can fill and bleed the brake systems.

hyd res mount 1.jpg

hyd res mount 2.jpg

hyd res mount done.jpg

Gonna mount the heater & wiper motor next, then on to electric. Need to run rear electric so I can finish up the trunk aluminum / drop box / cubby compartment, then finish the Thermo Cool sound / heat insulation and cockpit aluminum. Or something like that...
    Last edited by Boydster; 04-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I went with the triple reservoir unit but I must say the three individual reservoirs look very nice! I really like what you did there. Smart thinking on the steering shaft as well.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Boydster,

You Do Good Work!
    Keeping things clean, simple and purposeful really makes for an outstanding build.
    When form follows function everything tends to fall in place and will look like it was designed to be that way.
    Again, You Do Good Work, But You Already Know That!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gentlemen. Onward!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a little bit done this week. Work has kept me out of the garage.

Ran the rear wiring, at least temporarily, so I could install the trunk drop box and get the aluminum riveted in.
    Made a much larger access panel to get to the fuel line connections and the vent line in case of tank removal. Panel had to be made quite a bit larger when I mistakenly cut on the panel outline and not the cutline. I wanted access... now I got it!

trunk1.jpg

Got the upper aluminum and all the side pieces installed. No big news there, but it looks good to see the bulkhead finally riveted in.

bulkhead.jpg

The heater... I bought this one used. It had been mounted but never operated. I def did not like the screws going into plastic, so borrowed an idea from boat737 and expanded it a bit. I used a high grade silicone adhesive and 2 aluminum strips. I installed 6ea 10-32 rivnuts in the strips and then bonded the strips in place. Much more secure. The 2 Tek self tappers are just temps to help hold the strips in place while it sets.

heater 1.jpg heater 2.jpg

Last but not least, these showed up this week!

tires.jpg
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see the heater working out for you.
    What size and brand tires did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nitto NT05. 315/35-17 rear, 255/45-17 front.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's been a few weeks, and although not much has been done, figure I better keep this alive. I've been traveling for work to Louisville, KY and Orlando, FL. Still managed to get a little done on the weekends.

Got the heater holes cut and the unit installed...
    installed heater.jpg

...and cut the access hole in the rear bulkhead for the Breeze compartment.
    Breeze Compartment.jpg
    I'll be making a door for that with a locking latch on it.

I got my tires mounted and balanced on the wheels. Then of course I had to push her outside for her first photo in the sunshine.
    IMG_20170502_192457.jpg
    She's a roller!
    (Please excuse the refrigerator... it's going to the dump on Monday.)

Came across a potential issue with clearance on the rear wheels. Posted another thread about it. The consensus says it's OK, but I may put a 1/8" spacer in there just to make me feel better.

wheel clearance.jpg
    That's about 3/16" of clearance. Front tires and all brake lines are clear.

Did some more Thermo-Tec, but not going 100% with it. Going to start concentrating on running the electric and doing some mods there.

Ordered the engine through Jegs this week, should be here sometime early next week. Also ordered a whole bunch of the stuff that bolts onto it. Talking with George at Gas-N and Mike Forte tomorrow about pipes and tranny.

Still plugging ahead...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut about 3/8" off each master cylinder push rod and looks like I will be trimming the Forte master cylinder the same amount.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's been a few weeks, and although not much has been done, figure I better keep this alive. I've been traveling for work to Louisville, KY and Orlando, FL. Still managed to get a little done on the weekends.

Got the heater holes cut and the unit installed...
    installed heater.jpg

...and cut the access hole in the rear bulkhead for the Breeze compartment.
    Breeze Compartment.jpg
    I'll be making a door for that with a locking latch on it.

I got my tires mounted and balanced on the wheels. Then of course I had to push her outside for her first photo in the sunshine.
    IMG_20170502_192457.jpg
    She's a roller!
    (Please excuse the refrigerator... it's going to the dump on Monday.)

Came across a potential issue with clearance on the rear wheels. Posted another thread about it. The consensus says it's OK, but I may put a 1/8" spacer in there just to make me feel better.

wheel clearance.jpg
    That's about 3/16" of clearance. Front tires and all brake lines are clear.

Did some more Thermo-Tec, but not going 100% with it. Going to start concentrating on running the electric and doing some mods there.

Ordered the engine through Jegs this week, should be here sometime early next week. Also ordered a whole bunch of the stuff that bolts onto it. Talking with George at Gas-N and Mike Forte tomorrow about pipes and tranny.

Still plugging ahead...
    Boydster, I live in Louisville. Hope your time here has been good. I noticed you ordered the Ford Racing Boss 427, which has been a great engine for me so far and you also got the Nittos I just got too. I Autocross mine right now and the Nittos have been good.

Your build reminds me of mine. I will continue to follow your build. Good luck.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawleyscobra View Post
    Boydster, I live in Louisville. Hope your time here has been good. I noticed you ordered the Ford Racing Boss 427, which has been a great engine for me so far and you also got the Nittos I just got too. I Autocross mine right now and the Nittos have been good.

Your build reminds me of mine. I will continue to follow your build. Good luck.
    I should have shouted out to see if there were any F5's in the area. Since I was there for work (UPS at the airport), I had very little time to myself. But next time I'm there, I'll try to remember to give a shout.

Thanks for the backup on the decisions.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man, yea my engine is great... I love it. I'm about to drop it in thought I think....

Post Thanks / Like
    Post more later, had to get this one in.

BOSS 427.jpg

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

39. Thanks D02G thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post more later, had to get this one in.

BOSS 427.jpg

Very nice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boydster-

That's a fine looking engine you got there!!

I bet you were happy to see that move into the garage, right?

I have enjoyed following you along; you are doing nice work!

Regards,

Steve

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast