Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  62
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boss 427 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Yep, very solid, bolt on and quite adjustable, too. I got in on a group buy about 2 years ago, dont know if they will have any pre-made, but please check...

Metco motorsports

Factory 5 driveshaft safety loop
    Thank you! Looks like it is still available. Will order one tomorrow. This is a must have. I may not race much, but will drive it with my boys a lot.

Martin
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Boyd. On those CNC reservoirs, check them with a magnifying glass. I had one that had a flaw in the casting, and it took a while, but started seeping right through the bottom surface. Also, there's not much "meat" to screw those pipe fittings in to, so don't go too crazy on tightening them up.

Pet the dog.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Thank you! Looks like it is still available. Will order one tomorrow. This is a must have. I may not race much, but will drive it with my boys a lot.

Martin
    I agree on the "must have", especially on anything with some torque. If a u-joint goes, those fast-spinning parts are just a bit too close to some seriously not-so-replaceable parts.
    You're very welcome. Enjoy the build.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Hi Boyd. On those CNC reservoirs, check them with a magnifying glass. I had one that had a flaw in the casting, and it took a while, but started seeping right through the bottom surface. Also, there's not much "meat" to screw those pipe fittings in to, so don't go too crazy on tightening them up.

Pet the dog.
    Gotcha Boat. Thanks for the tips. I'm just going straight in with this set of pipe adapters, so with a bit of sealant, I wont need to crank on em.

Dogs Rock.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

5. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got around to working on the reservoirs and a few other small items. Overall, the Boss is doing great.

Made a bracket from .040 and an extruded aluminum angle to add support,

and installed the new fittings from Earls. Thats a 1/8 npt to -04AN adapter with a -04AN 90* elbow to a 1/4" hose barb. Sealed the npt with good ol ARP thread sealant.

That way I can adjust the angle to the hoses without being concerned about the tightness and leaks. Bit expensive at $20 per reservoir, but it works.
    Also inspected the reservoirs very closely with a magnifying glass and a bright light per Boat's suggestion in a previous post. Haven't found any flaws, so got the brakes and clutch all re-bled and onward we go...

Some other small things I've done... replaced the water temp sensor feeding the FITech unit. Word has it that almost all of the FITech water temp sending units are reading about 20* off. Makes it difficult to set fan temps and does weird things with the computer loops. I replaced mine with an AC Delco unit that appears exactly the same, but has stampings in it. The FITech piece has no identification at all. Ran the engine up to temp, appears to now only be about 5* off the Speedhut gauge. I suspect that will even out as the engine stabilizes in temp. My 2 sensors are at different spots... FITech is in the intake manifold, Speedhut is in the constantly circulating heater hose.

I adjusted the ratio on my Fortes mechanical throttle. I found that I was using about 1/2 of available throttle pedal travel to go full throttle at the FITech. This led to a very sensitive throttle. Not that I dont like it, but when I really start streeting this thing, I'd rather have a bit more cushion. Adjusted it by moving the attachment on the pedal bellcrank out to the limit of the slot. Worked very nicely.

Raised the steering shaft a bit. It was sitting in the very bottom of the slot in the dash, and even with the Replicaparts trim ring, didnt look right. So I put some washers under the bearing thats right behind the dash and got it centered. Didnt make much difference in wheel height, so its good.

Installed a new, quite small air filter, all K&N pieces. One of those flow-through X-Stream tops, a 1.5" tall round 8" filter and a base that has the nipple for the PCV air. Its little and looks a bit goofy, but the engine still has PLENTY of power and I do have some concerns with how high the engine sits and how its going to fit with the hood. So this little filter gives me the best chance to make it without going to a new, lower intake.

Overall, I'm having very few problems as I've been wheeling around the neighborhood. She starts great, drives straight , sounds fantastic and fits me well. Also has enough power to make me respect her very, very much, but still easy to drive without getting on it.

I think I have a small leak from my Canton power steering tank, and it seems to be coming from the bottom edge of the tank itself. I also am using a -10AN supply hose, and it has to make a pretty tight radius turn to the pump. While it's not crimped, it is too tight for that size hose and its just not right in my book. So I'm looking at maybe raising the pump, a different tank configuration / mounting and even reviewing my supply hose choice. Big item in the way is the steering shaft...

Been taking to Whitby's about the body... plans are coming together.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a new power steering can coming from Summit / KRC with an inlet that will work even better than what I've got now. Gary Luisi let me look at his power steering hose arrangement and he sent me the info on the supply hose... it's a -10 stainless teflon interior hose from Pegasus that bends down to a 2" radius. Almost everything else I had seen was a 4-6" radius.

So parts are on order, will update when it comes in and I get busy!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boydster, your build is looking great! You are putting a lot more detail in than I am. Your reservoir mount is beautiful. I labeled my reservoirs with an engraver after looking at them for awhile. I decided that down the road I might forget which one goes to what. Maybe I’m just forgetful but it seemed like a good idea to me. I just used a simple C for clutch, F and R for front and rear brake.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhunter View Post
    Boydster, your build is looking great! You are putting a lot more detail in than I am. Your reservoir mount is beautiful. I labeled my reservoirs with an engraver after looking at them for awhile. I decided that down the road I might forget which one goes to what. Maybe I’m just forgetful but it seemed like a good idea to me. I just used a simple C for clutch, F and R for front and rear brake.
    Thanks man. The build has been a lot of fun.

I just used a labelmaker with some black letters on clear tape. Engraving sounds cool, all it takes is a small letter hidden in a corner. Prob looks better than label tape. I love how this place shares stuff and nobody gets wadded up over it. I hope I've helped someone along the way, somewhere....
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the power steering all fixed up, will put up some pics later. Of course, had to take her out for a test run. Called a local friend and she said "Sure! Bring it on over!". So we took a cruise around the neighborhood and she snapped off this pic for me. It was a good day...

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was out test driving the power steering system, the Boss died on me twice with the clutch in and coming down to idle. Did some research, and while the FiTech system is very friendly, it can be made better and more cooperative with a little tweaking. One of the first things to do is get the IAC (Intake Air Controller) set for your engine. Since this unit could be bolted onto anything from 200 to 600 hp, the IAC stepper motor has a large range, but you really want it down at the bottom end so its just controlling idle, not actually keeping the engine running.

When I first checked mine on a warm, idling engine, it was running at 85, which is less than half. I shutdown, adjusted, powered up, rechecked the TPS and restarted several times before I got the IAC down to 7. It seems to be happier idling like this. I imagine so, because the throttles plates are bit more open, relying less on the IAC to keep the engine running and using it more to just maintain an accurate idle. Side note: To get down to 7 required opening the throttle plates a total of 1.25 turns on the drivers side screw.

I'll get it back out and test drive it later today. There's more tweeks that can be made, but I'll see how this does. It supposedly will affect how the engine runs through the whole rev range, and especially right off idle. If need be, I can adjust how quickly the engine comes down off throttle so the system can pickup at the idle level and not drop off below it.

Some other small things I've been busy with... installed my heater ducts and eyeball vents. Used Mike Everson's under dash panel, so its real easy to just drill a hole and screw the vents in. Ran the hoses and have 1 left for my single defrost.

Made some small straps to fit my RCI harnesses. They didn't come with anything, and it does make it easier to loosen the belts a bit. I used 1" wide webbing and snaps... dont own a sewing machine... and I can change or delete them later if I want to. Side note: this is the color I'm using for pinstripes. Nice to add a bit of color to an otherwise nice looking but quite drab interior.

And 2 more pictures because, well, just because.

One of the 757's at work...

and another of my girl after we got caught walking in a storm...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

12. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd I went to the Lost in the 50's Cruise in the other night at Marley Station, I met TPM3 (Tom) and saw his beautiful blue with white strips Roadster. Also saw a black with white stripes Shell Valley with a big block...huge motor, can't remember his name I was so paranoid of the possible rain. Hope to see you out and about soon. Are you just about finished up and on the road?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave. Still waiting on Whitby's. They said 6-9 months... Sept 25 was 8. Not that I'm counting or anything. The car is go-carting well, really believe I'm pretty much wrapped up on everything till I can get the body installed.

Marley is a good show. I've spent hours just walking around. We'll get a meet n greet together someday. I did Cars and Coffee a few weeks ago on the Triumph, met the guy with the blue / white Mark 3.

I'm doing a show by the River Whips Auto Club this sunday. Raising money for the Annapolis SPCA where I volunteer, so thought I'd bring out the Boss Go Cart. Its at Anne Arundel Community College, Arnold. I'll be working the SPCA booth with the car.

Hows yours doing? Any surprises?
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    No surprises thank goodness. I've been having so much fun driving I haven't done anything I intended like the Breeze front grill, Boig exhaust and other little things. Hopefully your paint will be completed at 9 months. I haven't decided yet to do the AACC or the Bowie show, Bowie is a farther drive for me so maybe there. I might do the Annapolis cars and coffee that morning. Hopefully it wont rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    No surprises... must be a good build! This weekend is supposed to be a beautiful weekend to get your car out. I'll PM you my number and we can text about who is doing what.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously, not much is happening with my build. The car has gone into hold status waiting for Whitby's to get the body done. Yesterday, Oct 25, was 9 months. <sigh>.......
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Whitby's said 6-9 months. Dec 25 was 11 months, and they are basically not talking to me about any timeline.

In the meantime, Ive decided to revisit a few things. One I never liked was my switch-on, switch-off turn signals. If I ever left them on, which I would and then I'd be THAT GUY running down the road with his full bright LED tail light blinker blazing away....

I decided on a Signal Dynamics self-cancelling turn signal module. It has sever modes for length of time and works for hazard flashers, too.

Had to change my positive click type switches over to momentary, or spring loaded, switches for the turn signals and the hazards. That was easy with an order to Ron Francis, where I sourced all my switches. Then got the SD unit wired into the output wires from the TS switch. Now the Ron Francis harness has the hazard wiring mating to the T/S wiring in the harness somewhere, but I needed the hazard wiring to be between the T/S switch and the SD unit. So I cut those wires back and tied them into the T/S switch screw lugs. I should also mention I'm using diodes to prevent backfeeding 4-ways.

One other item is that the SD unit controls the flash rate (and is safe for all led usage up to 10 amps). So I removed my 2 led flashers from the fuse box and installed jumper wires for now. I will remove the wires from the fuse box and tie them together (removing the jumpers) when I drop the fusebox for windshield install.

I'm glad to say it works! Just a 2 second contact with the momentary switch engages the SD Unit for a short 7 second round of flashing, then it shuts off. Thats Mode 1. There's 2 more modes for longer desired periods of flashing. And a 2 second hold on the hazard switch engages the desired 4-ways which will stay on until you hit the switch again.

Cool little mod that works well for those of us that dont use the turn signal on the steering column (I'm using a removable steering wheel, so couldnt use that).

Still hoping to hear from Whitby's soon... I've heard of one that took 16 months, and yes, the quality was fantastic, but thats a long time to wait...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Whitby's said 6-9 months. Dec 25 was 11 months, and they are basically not talking to me about any timeline.

Still hoping to hear from Whitby's soon... I've heard of one that took 16 months, and yes, the quality was fantastic, but that's a long time to wait...

I'm sorry, but this to me would be totally unacceptable... Fantastic quality or not, I'm never going to give my car to someone for that long to do a job that should not take more than 6-10 weeks. I actually contacted Whitby's to see about pricing and timing and they were very non responsive and the responses I did get where one line answers.... Like I was pulling teeth to get an answer. My last email to them, not yet responded to, was to ask how I could get on their waiting list. I'm guessing that they just do not want the business or know that they can not deliver on what they currently have. It's a good thing I'm planning to have my car at Jeff K's in the fall, but I wanted to see what other options I may have several hundred miles closer.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I expected the body to be there for a while... they do not have my car, just the body and associated pieces. They made space for me 1 month after I contacted them. They said they do the bodywork all the way through slick sand right away, then leave the body outside (under cover) until its turn comes up for paint. They had 27 cars ahead of me when I dropped off the body.

Others may get it in and out quicker, but I understand it can take up to a year to get in with some of the experienced F5 body guys. Difference is, my body is sitting there waiting instead of sitting here waiting.
    They did say 6-9 months to complete, and yes, they are pretty bad at communicating. But I'm also not in a big hurry to get my car done. I would like to hear from them, tho, and that is the point of my comment.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully you'll be ready for spring. Another not so great experience is coming up, the MVA inspection, taxes, and then state inspection. Hopefully you have better and a smoother time than I did. Will you be going to Auto Italia in Rockville for the State inspection after you visit the Glen Burnie MVA? If I had to do it over I would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Hopefully you'll be ready for spring. Another not so great experience is coming up, the MVA inspection, taxes, and then state inspection. Hopefully you have better and a smoother time than I did. Will you be going to Auto Italia in Rockville for the State inspection after you visit the Glen Burnie MVA? If I had to do it over I would.
    Thats pretty much where I'm thinking of going. I dont know any other place I'd trust. Could discuss it with the CACC guys, tho. I havent reached out to them because I dont know when I will be approaching that date.

Did you have any issues with the State Police Inspection? Did they want anything in particular?
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats pretty much where I'm thinking of going. I dont know any other place I'd trust. Could discuss it with the CACC guys, tho. I havent reached out to them because I dont know when I will be approaching that date.

Did you have any issues with the State Police Inspection? Did they want anything in particular?
    PM sent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the word Friday that my body is in the shop getting the rough bodywork done. 4 cars in the shop now. 1 being final wet sanded, 1 being painted, 1 in final bodywork, then mine. Shouldn't be too long now...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the word Friday that my body is in the shop getting the rough bodywork done. 4 cars in the shop now. 1 being final wet sanded, 1 being painted, 1 in final bodywork, then mine. Shouldn't be too long now...
    Nice that you got some kind of timeline for completion!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

26. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, looks like I just may be ready for summer, def by fall.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Havent done much on my car lately. Dropped the dash down a bit with some new brackets, installed heater air hoses, installed all the weather seal strip stuff. There's a few new things I want to do when the body is done and I get the car back.
    Speaking of which, I loaded The Boss up into her trailer today, headed off to Whitby's tomorrow to drop her off for fitting and covering.

Man, that 427W is loud with no mufflers...

Hopefully have some more pics tomorrow...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Say hello to the boys at Whitby for me. Cant wait to see some pics.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Say hello to the boys at Whitby for me. Cant wait to see some pics.
    Will do. Both on the hello and the pics.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Another 4-6 weeks...
    but we're getting there!!

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a few pics from Whitby Motorcars today. Should be in primer next week!

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Main stripe color sprayed...

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

34. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More... Sterling Gray main, Silver Gray stripes, Atlantic Blue pinstripes

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Super slick! You got to be getting pumped.
    Last edited by RJD; 07-26-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

37. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,

I'm glad to see your car getting some attention. That long wait had to be agonizing.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome. It sure is great when you get to see some color on there!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, I like the gray stripes matching the interior and the blue....wow I didn't know you were doing that, its really going to pop also matching interior. Shouldn't be long now!

Whats your plan, you gonna get in done to cruise this summer/fall or get it ready for next year? Hopefully summer/fall I'd like to see you out cruising, plenty of cruise inns around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Boyd,

I'm glad to see your car getting some attention. That long wait had to be agonizing.

Dave
    Yeah, its been a long time, but I'm not in a huge hurry, either. And I'm really confident they are doing an excellent job.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Looks awesome. It sure is great when you get to see some color on there!
    AINT IT!! And I've seen some more pics, and the colors are coming together just like I hoped. I was scared it was gonna look gross or silly... its coming up as neither. Gonne be awesome.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Looks great, I like the gray stripes matching the interior and the blue....wow I didn't know you were doing that, its really going to pop also matching interior. Shouldn't be long now!

Whats your plan, you gonna get in done to cruise this summer/fall or get it ready for next year? Hopefully summer/fall I'd like to see you out cruising, plenty of cruise inns around.
    I wanted to add a little color to offset all the muted grays and blacks, inside and outside. The blue lends a little nod to history and it makes a nice color to add some pop here and there to keep it fun and not too boring. Cars like yours and Scotts have a natural pop designed in... I had to add something. Anyways, I'm liking it and pretty happy so far.

The plan... hmmm... I have about 2 pages of punch items to do. I'm gonna reach out to the State Police about their Glen Burnie insp next week, see when I can do that. I hope to have it legal and cruising this fall, just in time for the nice hoodie weather.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    More from Whitby's...

Pinstripes sprayed and masked...

Sterling Gray applied over everything...

The Big Reveal...

And the freshly painted hood, waiting for finishing and clear. I think it's gonna look great.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

45. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks spectacular!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast