Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mass AirFlow Sensor for a 2007 C6 LS2 with 58x Reluctor

Post Thanks / Like

Mass AirFlow Sensor for a 2007 C6 LS2 with 58x Reluctor

I am having a hell of a time trying to find the correct Mass Airflow Sensor that is correct for my 2007 C6 Corvette LS2 with the 58x Reluctor (Crate Engine).

I am using the GMPP LS2 Engine Harness and Computer (E67), that I purchased from Factory Five Racing.

I started with a sensor that I purchased for the LS2 that didn't connect to the harness connector. I then bought a replacement from Granatelli that I was assured would fit the connector to the wiring harness. It didn't... They said that they must have sent the wrong sonsor, and offered to replace it. I got that one ,and found that it didn't fit either. So I sent it back as well...

I called Modern Chevrolet in Winston-Salem, NC and talked them through the scenario. They gave me a part number for the Sensor that should fit. I went ahead and bought it, (two weeks ago), and just got it Saturday. As I look at it, I can't see how this is going to work... You can see the plastic "filler" between the MAF connector and the Computer chip housing. Unless the harness connector had a open section on the side to allow it to slip over/around that filler, I don't see it going on.

I think that I need to be looking for the correct connector to switch out on the harness. Can anyone point me towards the correct part number for that conector?
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-20-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a very early MAF sensor with a very late MAF connector that you are holding in your hand!

I think that connector will work with the newer hot wire MAFs that are being used in crate applications.

I also believe that I may have the correct MAF sensor for you. I am not going to be using the MAF in my application. I will get a pic of both the MAF and the connector tonight and we can compare. If it is the corrct one, then I will let you have it cheap, so long as everything works out on the dyno. My engine is on the engine dyno starting today...hopefully.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're talking about the MAF Sensor that is inserted into the Cold Air intake tube, I have one of those. I am trying to use the sensor that mounts at the intake, instead of the remote sensor that mounts on the tube.

The way I understand the installation instructions, the only place to mount it, would be the one of the side tubes. And if I do that, I'll have to block the other side, which I don't want to do. (Mount the MAF sensor in the middle of the straight induction section, insuring that the middle of the mounting boss is at least 10" from the throttlebody).
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Then what you are going to need is the pinouts for both the connector and the MAF. Then you simply need to repin the wires and put them into the old style plug so you can plug the harness into the early MAF.

I think ls1tech will have this info for you...at least on the MAF side of things.

This may be a good starting point:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...-diagrams.html
    Last edited by crash; 06-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ted! I see 3 or 4 that look like they may work. I need to get the part number for the correct connector.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally have the correct connector, for the MAF Sensor. The GMPP LS2 Harness uses the connector for the "cartridge" sensor that comes with the ECM/Controller kit. I wanted to use the standard MAF sensor at the throttle-body that the Corvette uses.

Mass Air flow Sensor for the Corvette LS2: 15904068
    The correct connector with pigtail: 15306113

This pigtail can be spliced into the harness, replacing the existing connector. Now I am able to use both sides of the cold air intake, and won't have the 10" sectiopn of 4" tubing to worry about. Hopefully this will be my last engine related hurdle.

Maybe this will help others who would rather not place the sensor in one of the side tubes of the CAI.
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-21-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but did you get the pinouts?

The pinouts change from MAF style to MAF style, and sometimes even year to year with the same LOOKING connector. Be sure about the pinouts before you start splicing wires together. Even wire color codes get mixed from year to year. You are gonna need to know, at a minimum, what color codes on your harness went to what function pin on the originally intended MAF, and also the pinouts of the "new" (or in your case old style) MAF. I would not suggest taking for granted that the pins are all the same from harness to harness and from sensor to sensor.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Yes, but did you get the pinouts?

The pinouts change from MAF style to MAF style, and sometimes even year to year with the same LOOKING connector. Be sure about the pinouts before you start splicing wires together. Even wire color codes get mixed from year to year. You are gonna need to know, at a minimum, what color codes on your harness went to what function pin on the originally intended MAF, and also the pinouts of the "new" (or in your case old style) MAF. I would not suggest taking for granted that the pins are all the same from harness to harness and from sensor to sensor.
    One Step at a time - Grasshopper! I had to get the correct parts first...

Now I'll work on the PinOuts for each side. Do you happen to have either or both of these in your trusty bag of tricks?
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig,

Nope. Sorry, not using a MAF at all so haven't even looked into the pinouts.

Ted is really The Man when it comes to this electrical stuff. He should have it, or the LS1Tech forum may also.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I've posted the question on LS1tech, and LS2.com. I haven't had a chance to check this morning, but as of late last night there was no reply.

Thanks.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    You probably won't get a reply, as I didn't either, but after searching on there for awhile, I did end up finding some info that was useful.

Try the search terms "conversion" and "pinout".

Again, Ted is really your friend in this department.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted, I hope you don't mind being volunteered, but I could really use your help with these pin outs. I can call or PM, whichever you prefer.

Thanks.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW- For future or others reference, for a 2008 LS3 crate harness, I have mapped all the sensor pinouts EXCEPT the MAF and have posted what wires are what on www.myraceshop.com.

I am verifying everything now as the engine is up at the tuner/dyno guy and he is making sure everything actually functions as it is hooked up, along with breaking in the engine, before I put the drivetrain into the car.

The wiring spread sheet for my car is found here:

http://myraceshop.com/Reference/GTM-...Pin%20Outs.pdf

At this stage, until it is verified with a working engine on a dyno, you should take these pinouts as a "best researched guess". I will update that PDF, if needed, in the next couple weeks based on the actual data from the engine tuner running the engine.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that, but it listed F88 and I wasn't sure what that was. If that's the ECM type, mine is an E67.

Thanks,

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the F88 refers to this

http://www.liferacing.com/f88-gdi-spec.htm

Which is a stand alone aftermarket ECU from Europe.

However, the right side of the spread sheet lists factory GMPP harness wire colors and plug pin positions. If you look at the far left column, those are the functions these wires and plugs are operating. All the data in between doesn't matter, unless you happen to be using Mil-spec connectors, Mil-spec wires, and an F88, so those can be disregarded.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! Thanks Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the Pin Out for the MAF Sensor & Pigtail
    Sensor P/N: 15904068
    Pigtail P/N: 15306113

GMPP is sent the Pin Out diagram for the MAF wiring harness connector.
    LS2 Harness P/N: 19166568

Then the GMPP expert told that the best bet is to Ohm each pin to match them up...
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081