FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to register GTM or other kit cars with E-rod engine in California and few other ?

Post Thanks / Like

How to register GTM or other kit cars with E-rod engine in California and few other ?

Hi,
    I am interested and researching about building or having one built GTM as a daily driver in California. Besides emissions which I believe now is fixed with Chevy E ROD engines, what are the other obstacles of building a car to register in California?

What is the build cost of a new STOCK Chevy E ROD LS3 engine GTM car without any extra aftermarket parts? I'm trying to figure out complete build cost versus using used donor parts.

Has anyone calculated MPG...just out of curiosity for a light car with LS3 engine?

Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    SB-100 no emissions needed in calif.
    what part of calif are you in?............mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike, I'm in the Los Angeles area. Fremont is a bit a ways...just an hour plane trip. Thank you for the heads up on the SB-100 form...I'll continue my research from there. Is this forum more active than ffcars.com?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look here: http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62843

Lots of good information. The SB-100 route would be your best bet though.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    If you google SB-100, there are two documents that cover the process end-to-end. I have them, but don't recall the link where I got them. I can email them to you if you'd like.

Wait. . . found the link.

http://www.replicarclub.com/Newslett...California.pdf
    Last edited by ArtGirl; 06-15-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: link found

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Ray and ArtGirl... exactly what I was looking for. Now I need to research to DVD for the build and then calculate the build cost for stock GTM with AC only...with new and used parts....no donor unless I can get one really cheap.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cypress Auto up in Oakland (http://www.cypressautorecyclers.com/factory5.html) has been putting donor packages together not only for Roadsters and Coupes but also GTM's. You might try them and see what they can do for you. They ship, or you might find out if anyone in the area can pick it up for you.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Ray, I also found a wealth of information at ffcars forum and found out minimum build cost is around 40 to 50K. This is good for quiet nights to keep on collecting information for building the FF kit cars. By the time I"m done, I hope the 818 will be available so I can have the option between the GTM and 818... the 33 wouldn't make a bad daily driver either since I think it has a trunk. So three choices: modern styling is more my perference except for maybe a BMW 507. That's also a very rare car, only a dream, but if FF would make a replica of that...I would buy that first. I'm already prepping my car to be sold and planning the build.

I'm really glad to see FF continue expanding their product line.

Post Thanks / Like
    The GTM, 818, and 33 are all very different cars from each other, and build requirements vary just as greatly. My suggestion is that you carefully research each of them before making a decision. If you are a first time builder, the GTM is probably not for you. Not trying to discourage you, but it is many levels more complex than some of FFRs other offerings. The 818 is still to be released, so can't really say about that one, but the Roadster and 33 are definitely much easier to build than the GTM....from what I have read.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you crash for your suggestion. I too have my concerns, the 33 seems much easier to build. I'm excited about the 818 and what the final product will be and hoping that FF will release in next year. It seems a much more affordable. My current car is a Z4 M roadster... I'm curious to see how much more different the feel of the car will be... I imagine it will be order of magnitudes different. I'll continue my research. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's another option. You should consider the purchase of one that is finished/registered. Then you can drive it while you make the changes you want.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi VD2021, I thought about that option too, but I was more interested in GEN2 vs GEN1 and being in Cali, I wanted a E-ROD motor so I won't have to worry what parts I wanted versus what I didn't wanted then comes paint color. It's not like these cars a dime a dozen, so there are few and far inbetween that gets sold even partly completed. If there was a partial build GEN2 with E-ROD, I definitely considering it. As fun as it is to build one, I rather drive a car than spend time building one...then again it's always rewarding to complete something special like a car such as this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again. . . you don't need the e-rod to register in California.

In fact, I don't think anyone to date has built a GTM with the e-rod package, which I'm sure you know is a standard LS3 with additional "stuff" that makes the ENTIRE package emissions compliant, IF you install everything they include. The one GTM that was converted to e-rod, was "de-e-rod-ed" when the exhaust headers were changed.

the e-rod is a pretty good value when you consider the package includes the harness, and some other things that you may or may not want, like the cats, which BTW you also don't need for SB-100 registration in California.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey girl davids old car had an e-rod motor.....it was featured on spike. it sold at the barret-jackson auction this last year...

Post Thanks / Like
    Davids old car was de-e-roded when the next owner put the Kooks headers back on. I think he did that once his arrangement with GM came to its conclusion. That header switch invalidated the certification.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info ArtGirl. I wonder if there are any GTM meet ups...would like to hear one up close to see cabin noise. I don't want extra performance... I like a balance of performance, fuel efficiency, and road noise...since I like for it to be a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cabin noise is very loud relative to any production car.. Most will probably agree that a stereo in a GTM isn't worthwhile while driving because you just can't hear it. My ride in a very well built example validated that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new here but have been around the car game for a long time and have walked a few cars through the dmv after building them.

I'd suggest doing your homework as it appears that you are.
    Find the correct forms and figure out what you need to do before you start.

The Factory Five kits come with a statement of origin an their own serial numbers so that is one issue that is covered from the start.

The second is documenting where each and every major part came from.
    I start a build book for every project vehicle I build (currently three) that is a three ring binder with the page savers from the office supply store in it. Into that go all receipts and documentation such as statement of origin or bills of sale and copies of the titles to doner vehicles that I took parts off and then sold to the salvage yard along with the paperwork from the salvage yard I sold the hulk to and other pertinent information. That may be overdoing it in some peoples eyes but I have never had a problem at the dmv so far. In this state at least, the main thing they are interested in is that you came by the vehicle and parts you used in a legal manner.
    Total cost differs on every build. While the price of the kit is usually the same + the extra options the price of the doner vehicle or parts from the parts list can be a lot different depending on many factors including personal bargaining skills or deciding to use used parts vs using all new parts from a supplier. Then you have to factor in how much of the work you farm out. There are vendors who offer the parts needed to put the car together either as new parts or as a package of used parts. I was (am) looking at buying a Z06 Salvage vehicle that runs and drives as a doner with the concept of selling enough left over pieces to recover a fair portion of the cost. More outlay to begin with but that will allow me to get the engine dialed in in the chassis that it came in before pulling it and putting it in the project car. Recovered cost will depend on how many parts that I don't need are in good enough shape to sell.
    It also includes a photo diary of the build that documents what I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtGirl View Post
    Cabin noise is very loud relative to any production car.. Most will probably agree that a stereo in a GTM isn't worthwhile while driving because you just can't hear it. My ride in a very well built example validated that.
    Hi ArtGirl, I looked at the video of the E-ROD and it was rather quiet at idle. Yes any mods such as headers will make the engine sound different. I have a convertible now and it's acceptable to me... but if you are telling me the cabin noise is about 70 to 80 dBs... yeah... That's going to hamper things for me. I wouldn't mind losing 30 HP if I can have a quieter engine. Given that there is so much power (yes power is relative...but I have no interest in the 200MPH club)... I think a car that's 2000 to 2400 lbs with 450HP is plenty fun. Well...I'll continue with my research...

Dave46 thank you for the advice, I'm starting to research the parts new and used and total build cost... just making sure it's the right car... but from the SPECS it certainly seems like it.

GTM Builder/Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imom View Post
    Thanks for the info ArtGirl. I wonder if there are any GTM meet ups...would like to hear one up close to see cabin noise. I don't want extra performance... I like a balance of performance, fuel efficiency, and road noise...since I like for it to be a daily driver.
    Where do you live? Most GTM owners that I know would be more than happy to give you a ride in their GTM (myself included).

BTW, David Borden's car was originally built with a modified LS1 and an SB100. So it didn't matter what changes he made to it after it was registers. With an SB100 it is never inspected/tested again. So the fact that it had an e-rod package in it for some period of time is irrelevant.
    GTM #26
    Stock LS-6. PHII G50-50, Shane's Louvers, Nordskog Dash, Shaved Door Handles,
    David Borden's Aluminum Dash Cover for Nordskog Dash,
    Roll Bar Covers -- http://quickracingproducts.com/html/interior.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,
    I live in the Los Angeles area. I am really glad to know about non E - ROD cars getting qualified with the SB100. If you're in the SoCal area...I'd definitely take you up on your offer. Thank you.

Soon to be owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Cypress Auto up in Oakland (http://www.cypressautorecyclers.com/factory5.html) has been putting donor packages together not only for Roadsters and Coupes but also GTM's. You might try them and see what they can do for you. They ship, or you might find out if anyone in the area can pick it up for you.

Ray
    I just took a look at their site and didn't see a GTM package... Can you link me to it? also, does it include everything except the transaxle and the motor?

GTM Builder/Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in San Jose so if you are ever up this way...
    GTM #26

GTM Builder/Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would call the number for Cypress Auto Salvage and ask for Mike Percey. I got my donor parts from them, but it was back at the end of 2005 (I got my GTM #26 1/15/2006). Under the FFR donor header it did list only Mustang/427 roadster donors.
    GTM #26