Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Lines

First off, thanks for the help everyone, I seem to be hitting every bump in the fuel delivery road since I don't seem to know where I am going. I am going to do a gen 2 Coyote, so I ordered the 190lph in tank pump from Mr. Forte. I also ordered lines from him with the connectors on the end. Got that in and then decided the small return on that pump may be a problem. Also found out that I never got the fuel pressure regulator from FFR. I thought I would just order the Corvette filter/regulator as a cheap replacement which would allow me to have a short return line in the back of the car, so I was okay with not getting the regulator that I ordered from FFR. To help make the regulator/filter work and to fix the small 1/4" fuel return, I ordered the high flow fuel return kit and a supply line from the regulator to the high flow return kit in the tank. Got the parts and I think the high flow fuel return kit is a great idea and product from Breeze. I got it installed and connected my Corvette fuel filter/regulator, however, I now see that the lines I have from Forte won't go from the Corvette regulator to the engine bay. The problem is the connection on the end of that long line. I figured I could buy new connections or adapters instead of replacing the entire line. I could also still bend the hard fuel lines that come in the kit. What I can't seem to figure out is what connections I should have on that line. If it is easy to run the flex line I bought from Forte, that would be my preference I think. I can bend and make a hard line if needed, but I don't have near the skill that EdwardB(Paul) seems to posses and my brake lines look like he tried to do it left handed and in a drunken race.

Another item I wanted to quickly ask about has to do with the soft supply lines from Forte. I accidently kinked the 3/8 supply line running from the fuel hanger/pump to the regulator when I was trying to figure out where to mount the regulator. How I have it now is not kinked, however, you can still see where it happened and see a bit of a divit. Do I need to replace that line or will it be fine as long as it is not kinked while mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am adding a few photos of what I have in case there is anything that needs to be changed. I will put a cap on the 1/4" return on the hanger which is not used. I would rather cap it off then bend it up so it could never be used in the future. Do I need to move the filter/regulator? With the lines I had, it was hard to find a place I could mount it without the line being kinked but I am worried about the line exiting the regulator that will go up to the engine bay. Seems like it may be in a bad place to run the line back into the wheel well and avoid everything that moves in there. I'm also not sure where the spash shields will go and if there will be problems there. Thanks for the help.

IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    Please also see the kinked fuel line and let me know if it needs to be replaced.
    IMG_1025.jpg
    Last edited by Tree; 06-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having a hard time following what your trying to accomplish, but from what I think I understand..

Not sure how much slack you may have, but could you perhaps just cut the soft line with the kink in it, to a point beyond the kink, and reconnect it? It may not be an issue as is, but over the years I have read of some absolutely crazy instances, that builders have had with fuel supply issues. Some have gone slightly insane by it, until it was finally figured out.... Might be best to attend to it now, especially while it's still easily accessible.

I think gather, that you have a hard line that is coming up short, and won't reach the engine bay? What connector, or fitting, is currently on the end of that line, a compression fitting?? Perhaps you could just add a pre-made section of line, the appropriate length to it.

Yes,I would move the regulator. You don't want soft fuel line openly exposed in a wheel well. Can you mount it somewhere under the trunk floor framing perhaps? The larger frame, just above where you have it for example, but on the inside of it. That was a very common area for fuel filters to be mounted, and I never heard of issues having them there.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 06-29-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would turn the filter around 180 degrees and mount it closer to the centerline of the car ad then run the Fortes line up the tunnel and onto the fuel rail on the coyote
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I am going to move the filter/regulator now. Your suggestions of moving it more to the center seem a lot better to me. I have another line that I can use that does not have the kink in it so I am going to swap that out. It will also give me a little more length to get to a good spot in the center.

I think I am going to need to cut off the end of the long line I have from Forte and add a different connection. I think I need a male connection to come out of the filter/regulator. Does anyone have any recommendations on what connector I should use to come out of that Corvette regulator? I have a 3/8" line that will run to the Coyote fuel rail. I currently have a male connection on that end of the line so I think I am okay on the fuel rail side right? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both ends of the long line should be female. I can see the adapter in your regulator to accept one end. The other end doesn't have the same plastic connector? Don't cut any connectors off it you don't have to. Nearly impossible to install a new one without the right tool
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I have remounted the regulator in what seems to be a much better location with a longer line I had from Forte. Took longer then I was expecting to get a rivnut set in that location as I managed to get my tool stuck after setting the rivnut to mount the regulator/filter.
    Annotation 2019-07-01 102706.png

The picture I had a couple post ago was misleading. I had stuck the male end of my long line that runs up to the engine bay into the regulator, though it did not really fit or seat in the filters out. Below you can see the place I need to make the connection on the filter.
    IMG_1032.jpg

Below are the parts I have on hand but I can't seem to figure out how I am going to make it work. You can see the male end on the long flex line I have from Forte. It does not really slot into the filter and seat. I was thinking I would need some type of adapter but maybe I am missing the obvious and I already have all I need. I do have 3/8" steal tubing as well if I need to bend my own line.
    IMG_1033.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the male end on the fuel line, certainly looks like the quick fit one, designed to be used on the female connector of the GM filter. If it's not fitting in, perhaps the male fitting length to the lock tab, or even tube diameter is different depending on the make? I believe GM uses the 3/8' fitting on that filter.

I haven't seen any of the latest Ford EFI connectors, but I know the older Ford OEM ones on my build, look nothing like that style. Was that Forte fuel line specific for a GM application?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have everything you need. the metal adapter that is on one end of your fuel line goes into the filter. It should slide right in with a bit of force. If it doesn't have a look inside the fitting to see if somethings wrong. The other FFR supplied stuff isn't needed.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The metal adapter seems to bottom out in the filter before it clicks in and locks in place. I think I may need to trim a bit off the end so it will fit. Before I do cut the piece, I thought I should check and make sure that sounds like a possibility and that I am not shooting myself in the foot. Maybe I just need to use more force?
    Last edited by Tree; 07-02-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    More force was the ticket. I used some big pliers to push the metal adapter into the filter/regulator. I could not get enough force to get it in there by hand without the pliers, so it really took some pressure. After getting the adapter in, connecting the long line from Forte was butter and I now have the fuel lines complete. Woo Hoo!. Thanks for the help everyone. I obviously have never worked on the fuel system before and needed the help. I think the new regulator location is much better then my original location and I feel fairly confident everything will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just needed to use the "Bigger Hammer"method.. Glad to hear it worked out.

Certain things during a build, can leave you scratching your head thinking, this just isn't bloody humanly possible. Then on the 2nd attempt, (or 3rd, or 4th..) it will just fall into place so easily, you begin to question your sanity..

I guess if it was easy, everyone would be driving one..lol