FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood Pedals and Balance Bar

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood Pedals and Balance Bar

I'm almost done and doing some fine tuning on the car. The Pedal box is all Wilwood as are the MC and such. The balance bar to me did not look right at all. The clearance between the clevis is way off and I think the balance is off also. I bought this car as a partial build and I have put about 300 miles of trial runs on the car. It stops OK but I have not really panic stopped or run it on the autox to see if the balance is set up correctly. I know every car is a little different but I am under the impression the front MC should have more travel than the rear. This car is setup with the rear having more travel. The clearance between the brake pedal and clevis is right at .100. The Wilwood instructions want .20 to .25 range. This seems like a lot but mine is off no matter what. Also if you look at the lock nut on the threaded rod it looks different than wha tis in the Wilwood instructions. I currently only have a nut on one side and it is butting up against the aluminum link and not the clevis. I have the nut backed off so you can see but it is just a standard thin 3/8-24 nut. Again it is only on one side and the Wilwood instructions look like it should be on both sides.

My car currently

Wilwoods picture

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that you have already been on Wilwood's site and gathered some info. If not, here is the balance bar .pdf info. http://wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds252.pdf

When I was going through this, the Wilwood tech said to start with the balance bar centered, and the front M/C rod screwed into the clevis 4 turns, and the rear M/C rod screwed into it's clevis 7-8 turns. (similar to the "no pedal effort" picture in figure 2 in the above .pdf) That is what I did, but have not done any further adjustments, as I am just now starting to drive it some (only got 2+ miles in it so far. I expect to add a bit of front bias once the car is closer to finished weight, height, alignment, etc.) The tech guy was adamant about the .20 to .25 dimension as well.

As for the nut, I have a shoulder nut, in addition, there is a set screw in the clevis pivot. I'm wondering if that nut you show is for the Spherical Bearing lock. Is there a shoulder nut inside the pedal, locking to the spherical bearing? (Are they switched?)

You can try to do a search online on the forums with this format: site:http://thefactoryfiveforum.com wilwood brake pedal or site:http://ffcars.com balance bar adjustment or you get the idea. Put in your own search terms.
    Last edited by boat737; 03-19-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread