Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 427 radiator

Post Thanks / Like

427 radiator

I am looking at radiator over flow tanks. I have a 427w engine coming, and I am a little worried about the issue I have read about concerning the small over flow tank that FFR provides.

So for people who have a 427w or larger engine, what size over flow tank are you running? and have you seen any leakage?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jegs, Summit Racing & Speedway Motors all have larger S.S. reservoirs if you want to keep the same high end S.S. look.

I'm still working through my options too (383 SBC) so I have the same concern as you with a lack of coolant recovery tank volume of the stock piece.

Currently I am looking at other options since I really like the plastic type because you can see the coolant through the translucent reservoir bottles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the larger SS tank from Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-300103 . I only have 3 1/2 miles on it, and it has barely gotten warm enough to cycle the radiator fan on, but I have not noticed hardly any volume change in the tank. So far the FFR one would have been OK. Maybe that will change after it gets into the Summer months and the engine gets hotter on longer runs. Summit's piece is nicely done, although I made a more stout mount for it. Hard to see the pics, but a metal angle attaches to the upper 3/4 tube, down along the F panel where it is attached, and then to the lower 3/4 tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same tank as shown above for over a decade. Works just fine. At the time, FFR didn't supply a tank, so I can't compare.

However, the size of the engine really doesn't have much bearing on the size of the overflow tank.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the FFR supplied tank on my Coyote/MkIV for the first summer and found is wasn't big enough. Darn thing would fill and O/F. I switched to the unit from Summit, same as boat737 and have not had an issue since.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 427 (351W) and used the FFR supplies overflow tank and it works just fine for me. Have never had a overflow issue or cooling problem. Using the FFR supplied radiator also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a F4TE 351W, the FFR/AFCO radiator and an inline filler connection with a vented cap. The 427W is essentially a 351W block that is stroked and has room for 4.125" bore. I used a Canton 2qt recovery can mounted to the passenger side. Never seen it more than 1/2 full. It is very important that the vented cap on the fill connection be above anything else. The cap must be vented and go to the bottom of the overflow tank. With the overflow tank vented, the contracting coolant can go back thru the vented cap into the engine, thus avoiding vapor buildup.

Last edited by NukeMMC; 03-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    ~ Bruce
    MK4 #8189
    400hp 351w, TKO600, 3.27 3-link