Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Piecemeal - Sans Engine Transmission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

818 Piecemeal - Sans Engine Transmission

So my plan has always been to do an ej207 which means sourcing a donor MUCH less important. I found a website that sells used subaru parts and I though I'd do some research on parts pricing. I don't know if I'll actually order the parts this way, try to source a donor pallete, or find someone who is parting out their build but i thought i'd post it for some feedback/criticism.

My reasoning is that , since I will probably get the engine & trans seperate, it doesn't make sense to go through the work of getting a donor. Also I'm finding a LOT of parts I'd like new anyway (radiator, seats, wheels, fuel pump, pedals, etc. etc. )

Anyway Here is where I'm storing my findings if youd like to comment / crit. Open to any suggestions or opinions.
    Last edited by shinn497; 03-25-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would help to know if the car will primarily be for road or track. The list itself is a little thin in detail. For example the radiator assembly consists of radiator, 2 fans, 2 horns, shroud and mounting hardware. If you get a new a new radiator, you will still need the other pieces. Then there is a couple of parts like seats and transmission that did not make the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Include eBay in your searching also, always amazed what you may also find there. I originally shunned Amazon, but again you will probably find items not available elsewhere as I have.
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    It would help to know if the car will primarily be for road or track. The list itself is a little thin in detail. For example the radiator assembly consists of radiator, 2 fans, 2 horns, shroud and mounting hardware. If you get a new a new radiator, you will still need the other pieces. Then there is a couple of parts like seats and transmission that did not make the list.
    Road with maybe occasional track day. Currently want to do an S and convert it to C later (I'd actually rather start with a C but I have reasons to start with an S).

A lot of things I want to just buy new / custom. Seats, stearing wheel, radiator, fuel pump, pedal box, wheels, and shifter. I don't really consider them "core" to the build since they are more customizable.

Quote Originally Posted by fastzrex View Post
    Include eBay in your searching also, always amazed what you may also find there. I originally shunned Amazon, but again you will probably find items not available elsewhere as I have.
    Ebay does seem intereesting!

Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Keep in mind when you go to register the 818, depending on what state that may be in, they will ask you to show traceability for all of the main parts used. This is to make sure you didn't use stolen parts and to establish the value of the car for registration tax. Make sure you keep receipts for everything. Buying a donor has the benefit of providing a vehicle title when it comes to title and register your 818, which should pretty much cover traceability of all donor parts. Consider that if you buy parts individually, the total value can really add up whereas a wrecked donor can be had for $2-3k. The higher the value of the parts, the more you may be taxed. Then again, some states have more relaxed requirements than others.
    So that is interesting and something to consider. While a donor is 2-3k. I'd still much rather spring for some parts that just don't come with it. And, at the end of the day, it doesn't make sense to get a donor for what amounts to 1.5k in parts (esp. considering the hassle of sourcing and stripping one)

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind when you go to register the 818, depending on what state that may be in, they will ask you to show traceability for all of the main parts used. This is to make sure you didn't use stolen parts and to establish the value of the car for registration tax. Make sure you keep receipts for everything. Buying a donor has the benefit of providing a vehicle title when it comes to title and register your 818, which should pretty much cover traceability of all donor parts. Consider that if you buy parts individually, the total value can really add up whereas a wrecked donor can be had for $2-3k. The higher the value of the parts, the more you may be taxed. Then again, some states have more relaxed requirements than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    but yeah the used parts list is the main focus since those would be required for almost any type of build. The aftermarket stuff is a bit up in the air atm. And some things like wheels, seats, and the steering wheel may change.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had it to do over again I would not buy a donor car. Beyond the engine, transmission, harness and ECU I can count the donor parts I'm using on one hand (our build is not typical though). I got a good deal on the donor and it had several aftermarket parts I was able to sell. I just about broke even, not counting my time to dissasemble it and the hassle of getting rid of the stripped chassis. Metal recyclers wouldn't take a "car" and wrecking yards wouldn't take a stripped chassis that had nothing of value left on it. Thankfully a friend of a friend knew the owner of the wrecking yard I bought the donor from and they took it back.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    the biggest benefit to buying a donor is the ability part out the rest of the car to recoup your money. i know i made money above and beyond the purchase price by far on my part out i used as a donor. so much in fact i have done a few more part out that paid for every part i ever bought including the kit itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I paid $1500 for my donor, partially because the motor was toast, and parted most of it out. Using EJ207, but was able to make about double my initial cost in the donor in selling donor parts. That said, it's certainly a lot of work to do the full teardown, doesn't help when the car is all smashed up. Fun part of the experience tho, IMHO.
    On your list of new parts, I did the same, but was able ot sell most of that stuff that was still good. Also did new control arms, trailing arms, etc as the ones I had were damaged to varying degrees. The actual parts I'm using out of the donor include : ECU, parts of wiring harness, knuckles (tho rebuilt), brakes (rebuilt), steering rack, pedals, wheel, transmission (added LSD), axles, and e-brake...all of which could certainly be sourced for not too much $. Huh...never broke it down like that... new part creep is real and $.
    --Joe
    818S #234 V7 EJ207 Spec-C (VF34) Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. The big thing for me is I am not really looking forward to doing a teardown and reselling everything. I also did this to get an idea of what parts would be taken from a donor car. As well as do some cost comparisons to what I would get new/aftermarket.

I think I'm most likely going to find someone parting out a wrx and buy the parts from them we will see. I think, if I could do that, I could get everything piecemeal.

Then again. Even that I don't know about since there are somethings I might want rebuilt. Like the knuckles (to replace the wheel bearings) or anything with bushings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if it is posted but Jerome Silvers (JeromeS13) shared with me a spreadsheet of his build costs. I am working on an R where I skipped the donor car.
    Many here have had bad luck with donor car engines and more. Things are worn out and don't last. Dealing with rusty parts seems to be a common issue. Once the bug really sets in you will want to upgrade LCA's, rear lateral links, steering wheel, etc... I wanted to do my own "dieted" wiring harness.
    You can look at my build thread but I have gone fairly wild. I went on Subaru for sale forums on Facebook like the one I've linked. I don't know where you are located but there, Ebay and so on are where I found some nice pieces. I see you're now in DC (moving around).
    You have not bought a kit, correct? You have started 25 threads. You ask lots of questions. Perhaps you should just read more? Most on here are serious builders and don't like a lot of oxygen being sucked out of the room by what seems like a young dilettante's pipe dreams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've every intention of building a kit. I'm just researching as much as possible while I plan. I'm meticulous that way? I'm noticing there are a lot of issues with this first gen kit, and I am sort of hoping they update it before i start but we'll see. I think I was super active before the 818 got released, and we were all speculating about it, and then bided a lot. TBH my excitement went down with the look of the first gen model but the recent update has gotten me hyped again.

Currently browsing fb for sale forums and NASIOC but I'm still debating the exact order with which to buy things. Anyway. We will see.

Post Thanks / Like
    What experience do you (a professed nerd) have working on cars, modifying anything or just plain working with your hands? What cars have you owned?
    I am being realistic, not rude. I don't know whether you need to be brought down to earth or not. These are not Lego kits. There's a lot of dirty, hard work involved building these kits in the best of scenarios.
    You don't seem to have unlimited finances, which is the other option. Then you can have lots of new, pristine parts and the ability to hire people to do what you cannot.
    When I was young I bought an old Porsche convertible. I drove it a bit and then it needed a top, then it needed an engine and then I found a lot of rust where the top resides when down. I tore the car apart and sent it off for sandblasting. That was my first huge mistake. Then I did not have the resources to rebuild it. At less than 30, I sold it for cheap.
    Just don't get in over your head like I did. I am struggling to finish my 818. Age and health issues are slowing me down. Youth may or may not be on your side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I'm not playing this game. But I can say that I am very certain I have the experience, capability, and fund to complete this build. And I am not sure why any of these details about myself is of any concern to you, nor is it constructive information to anyone planning a future build.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Grasshopper, you are insulted. I won't waste any more of my time trying to help (play this game).