Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Hot Rod & 65 Coupe Platforms

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod & 65 Coupe Platforms

The idea behind this thread is to try and keep everything on the 33 Hot Rod & 65 Coupe Platforms that Dave Smith & FFR have in Mind, as well as other input, all in one place, to help people from having to search all over the place

After reading Dale's (aka myjones) Thread Dave Smith, opinion please, Dave Smith elaborated on possible platforms for the 33 Hot Rod & the 65 Coupe in post #3 & 15. I have highlight the parts that stuck out to me and probably others, also took out the parts that are not really relevant.

Dave Smith's post #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Hell of a question. Right up front I gotta apologize since I don't post on the forums regularly. Saw this and figured I'd answer, but there may be other questions I've overlooked and it's not for lack of concern, there's just so much time in the day.

Regarding MY opinion on "Supercar" while technically all of our designs have extreme performance potential, I was referring to more of a GT car in line with a Ford GT, or in the case of a front engine supercar, something like an Aston Martin Vulcan/etc. So yes, mostly subjective, but capable of 200 mph is commonly considered a standard, a car more comfortable with a sweeping fast roadcourse than an autocross. Specifically I was referring to the fact that the GTM, as a mid-engine supercar (Low, wide, extreme in every way) has been a very big challenge for us. It is a remarkable car and each time I drive it, I say the same thing to myself, "Geez, I forgot how brutally fast this car is!".. I've pulled superbikes on the highway with my LS7 powered GTM!... Despite the love and passion the car evokes, it also requires quite a bit more technical support here at FFR and that cost can be extended to many areas of the car. The mid-engine radical design is more technically complex and one thing I'd like to do is use the new Gen 3 chassis (front engine/less complex) as the basis for a more modern version of the famous Daytona Coupe. At a minimum it could be seen as something like the Ford GR1 concept (not a copy but akin to), which was a modern version of the vintage Daytona Coupe.. Or it could be an extremely modern design of its own to compete with the front-engine supercars from Ferrari and Aston Martin, but one that would be a build-it-yourself American Factory Five.

I hope that answers your questions. We'll be developing the chassis, suspension, brakes, aero and other bits on the Gen 3 Coupe on the track this year along with some unfinished business with the 818R. The multitude of opportunities for us at FFR are dizzying and my job is not just to pick the fun ones but also to pick the projects that make the most business sense against the backdrop of all of the other projects, our skills and team's development, the competition, the market, and a thousand other things that need to be considered. So far we've been able to strike a good balance and I'm not bragging but just stating the truth that our longevity as a company is a function of doing mostly the right things at the right time product-wise (sometimes against the advice of the "experts"). I'll take credit for that since it is one of my most important jobs and one that takes much of my time. Dave
    David
    Last edited by Vman7; 03-23-2017 at 08:47 AM.