Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The big day has arrived after dreaming and planning for 7 years!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool The big day has arrived after dreaming and planning for 7 years!

I've seen posts like this for a number of years now, and for each I can only imagine its the same as I feel now. Excitement, relief, trepidation, and commitment; these emotions are what make the whole concept of building a car with your own hands so incredibly unique! I can only thank Factory Five for creating the package that allows all of us to experience a thrill of a lifetime, knowing that what you'll end up with is something comparable to any other vehicle on the road; only this car is what legends have been written about.

Some background: I've served in the military for almost 10 years, then took a civilian job with DOD doing the same (counter drug and air defense) for both our nation and Canada. I recently retired after 40 years of combined service (enjoyed every minute of it!), and have now come back home to enjoy the fruits that life can offer. The only thing is though, I've been out of country for the past 13 years and don't have a place yet in the U.S. to hang my hat. I do have a home in Nova Scotia (my wife's family home), but that is not what I consider my home as a U.S. citizen. At some point this year we do plan on getting a place in the Arizona, but I digress.

I have wanted to build this car ever since I saw "2 Guys Garage" back in 2010; even went to the school at Mott College 3 years ago to make sure I could do this. So now that I've retired, I've realized that to try to do this in Nova Scotia Canada it would just be to difficult, due to the issues with the border and taxation. I didn't want to wait any longer than I had too; so what to do?

I was perusing the forum and noticed that there were some who were offering their services to build a roadster for those who didn't want to go through the process. In my case, I was looking for a compromise; luckily enough I saw a note on the "Replica Parts" website that offered services to help if so desired. So I emailed Mike Everson and proposed the idea that I temporarily find a place near his residence and build the roadster with him, as opposed to him doing it all himself; he was totally agreeable to the idea!

So here we are today; Mike and I, with the help of the FFR's great staff (Nate and crew) loaded up my kit this past Saturday into Mike's trailer and we then took it back to his place to begin the build tomorrow morning 7:30 sharp!

A dream finally realized……. I know the forum will ask what the build will be, so here goes….nothing radical I can assure you. I'm looking for a daily driver that I intend to use in the summer at our home in Canada and in the winter at our place (to be) in Arizona. I also wanted to ensure that all the vendor support was from the local area in MA; so Forte is building my drivetrain, Breeze will be providing all the ancillary parts, and Mike Everson will be making all the sheet metal mods at his place (hopefully I get to help ).

So here's what we've got so far:
    Basic complete Roadster package
    306 engine with T5
    North Race Car A/C
    Navigation and Audio (Blaupunkt)
    Heated seats
    Breeze Cubby mod
    RodTop Convertible Top with zipper and quarter windows
    IRS with 17" Halibrands and 245/275 Mickey Thompson tires
    Jaguar British Green paint
    GasnPipes (probably)
    and a beautiful Serpent Express 20' trailer for both my Harley and the Roadster!

I anticipate a lot of sheet metal work in the trunk in order to maximize storage (for my wife's luggage ) and am looking to add the trunk rack to give it the British look (more than likely will use it as well!)

So I get the best of both worlds; I'll be building my car with a TV star! (Peoples Court) and getting past all of the normal roadblocks and brain hemorrhaging that would occur if I were building the car by myself. We believe we can have it done within 6 to 8 weeks, with both of us on it full time; after seeing what he can do, I don't doubt it!

It truly is beautiful when a plan comes together…

Rick Hayton

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Welcome to the craziness!!

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yea Pictures!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly recommend that you come to Arizona. Of course I am biased!! You will be happy you put in A/C when it is 120 here!! Congratulations on your entry to this wonderful hobby. When you get to Phoenix, look me up. If I can be of assistance, let me know.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Before you buy them verify that the 17 in Halibrands will clear. My 17 inch Bullits clear but that clearance is not enough for a stick-on wheel weight. If you buy a salvage rear suspension, get one w/ brakes. Mine has the vented rotors which 'I think" means it came from a V8 car and they work very well as does the built-in parking brake.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds Like You've Got A Great Build Plan With Expert Experience To Assist You Along The Way!

Welcome To The Family!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulation - and sound like great plans... in the best color, of course (although I may be a bit impartial given mine in Ford Ivy Green).
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! This will be an interesting one to watch!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, I can't wait for the Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, big first day. Mike sure moves quick, definitely having a blast…. IRS, rear shock assay, power steering, and front UCA's are in. All engine bay panels drilled and sent off for powder coating….thinking we'll be done by weeks end?

Trying to upload pictures but having difficulty getting upload to work….I can choose the image, but the upload link doesn't do anything….

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. Enjoy the build!
    Not an expert on posting pics but I did find when I first tried my image size was to large and when I tried to upload it would not work. Possibly that is your problem. Maybe try making the file size a little smaller.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, if you build it here will they let you take it back over the border ? I know some have tried to buy a completed kit in US and could not get it into Canada ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its been awhile since my last post. I think I have the picture upload resolved with the help of Phileas F. and Mike E.

I was out all last week down in Maryland and Mike held off on any further progress till my return this Monday. We've only put in 8 days of actual build time on the car and had been waiting for the drivetrain to arrive along with some panels being powder coated. So in reality we hadn't really done anything for the past two weeks since we were at a standstill. However, we've done all the prep work on things that could be completed while waiting….the back end is finished and carpeted with the trunk and cubby mods; the dash is 90% completed, just waiting for my vacuum and fuel/air gauges to arrive from speed hut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Just curious, if you build it here will they let you take it back over the border ? I know some have tried to buy a completed kit in US and could not get it into Canada ?
    Hey, my situation is different. I'm U.S. with a Canadian spouse; so the plan is to become a snowbird with our primary residence in the states, the car will be registered in Florida but transported back and forth across the border.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right before I left for Maryland Mike Fortes pulled out all the stops and had my engine ready the Friday before we left. Very appreciative of all the work he and his crew did; complete drivetrain and shiny and new!
    Nothing fancy, a 306 with a Comp 303 cam, T5, his hydraulic clutch, along with the PS,PB, and HC Wilwood mod (no picture yet of that)….out yeah, a little bit of bling…

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Before you buy them verify that the 17 in Halibrands will clear. My 17 inch Bullits clear but that clearance is not enough for a stick-on wheel weight. If you buy a salvage rear suspension, get one w/ brakes. Mine has the vented rotors which 'I think" means it came from a V8 car and they work very well as does the built-in parking brake.
    Hi Craig, sorry I took so long to reply. I'm still learning how to use this forum, I've always just read posts, not actually create them…. my IRS is the new Ford version; not aware of a fitting issues with the Halibrands….I hope not

Post Thanks / Like
    So this coming week I'm figuring we may have a go-cart… still waiting for my cat backs and side pipes from GasNpipes, wheels are still on backorder along with passenger roll bar….
    although we do get lots of visitors, its like being in a dream world with all of the roadsters….

now that I am able to post pictures, I'll try to stay on top of this…..

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin' good Rick!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick-

What a great plan! You certainly have expert assistance getting her built. What a great experience for you as well; I am totally jealous!

I like your build plan. The premium top and AC should serve you well. I suspect the heat will help up North as well.

I look forward to following along in what is likely to be a very short build. BRG will be a great look, it is a classic look for these cars.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!!! I have about the same dash layout. I thought the clock was unnecessary but when I added the oil temp and vacuum gauge I kept the clock for symmetry. Keep up the good work!20160313_131201.jpg
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to work!…..

Man, what a busy day! Now that we have the drivetrain and the rest of the powder coated panels we proceeded to "get r done!"

Tranny needed some POR15 to cover bare aluminum……

Passenger foot box insulated and riveted in……

Post Thanks / Like

Back to Work!…..Part II

Mike working on the firewall; we doubled it with insulation in order to support the AC system….

Firewall in, now its time for the Wilwood PS,PB, and HC mod from Fortes….

You can sort of see it installed…..

Post Thanks / Like

Back to Work!…..Part III

Engine install time!

TA DA! Engine in…..

So, lots done today….more for tomorrow I'm sure…all the photos are of Mike, but believe I'm in there doing my part too… lol

Post Thanks / Like
    How and why are you planning to register the car in Florida while living in Arizona?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
    How and why are you planning to register the car in Florida while living in Arizona?
    Hmmm, I can see that being a natural question.. The truth is; my home of record has always been Florida, I still don't have a place in AZ and don't plan on it till sometime in Oct/Nov. Once we finally have a place, then home of record will change along with the drivers license; right now I need it registered before June so I can cross the border and get back (hopefully) without any issues….

Post Thanks / Like

Another Busy Day…...

Today was fun, lots of rain…was stuck in a Social Security office where your not allowed to stand up but have to sit down…(thought I was back in elementary school), and then drove up to Fortes to pick up some shorty headers to go with the Cat Converters…

So headers and cats are in…..

A/C and Windshield Wiper motor are in and looking good….

Really like Mike's mod to move the vents so they point up...

Post Thanks / Like

Busy Day Part II

So lots completed; brake lines completed and have been bled, same for the Hydraulic Clutch….

Another picture of Fortes Wilwood mod to allow for all 3 features PS/PB/HC,,,,

So now its down to the little details,… time is going by so fast….really enjoying the journey…..

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Rick! My Cobra was just completed and is at Mike's right now (Kandy Apple Red) hopefully it will be on its way home in the next day or two. I wish I could have been there like you when Mike performed his magic. I'm sure that you're going to be thrilled with the end result, I know I am.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow, good stuff….yes I've been with Mike helping him put the final touches to your car. It left on the trailer today heading to NY…I'm sure your going to love the final product….its a beautiful color….

Quote Originally Posted by AyRoMoDa View Post
    Looking good Rick! My Cobra was just completed and is at Mike's right now (Kandy Apple Red) hopefully it will be on its way home in the next day or two. I wish I could have been there like you when Mike performed his magic. I'm sure that you're going to be thrilled with the end result, I know I am.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Day 11……Part I

I've been somewhat negligent in not really documenting the actual days that we've put into the effort of building the roadster….so for now on I will use "man days" as a reference point.
    So even though its been over a month since I started this journey, its really only been 11 man days of effort to date……so today, lots accomplished…..

So now that we've got most of the big stuff done, its time to get the body fitted so that Mike (the body guy, different Mike lol) can finish his work once we return it….

The body is on!…. Wow, what a different perspective…..she's mean looking already!

Post Thanks / Like

Day 11……Part II

Fitting the trunk, trying to get the gap right all around. Problem: how does one get the hinges set when the adjustment bolts are inside the trunk? Trial and error? I would think so for those of us who would only be attempting this once, since we most likely would only build one car…..

Not Mike, on no…he's using todays technology to simplify the alignment process by using FaceTime!

I was blown away by his solution; he's using FaceTime to put a camera in the trunk with it closed and fitted the way we wanted it, and then using his IPad to guide his socket wrench to tighten the nuts thereby solidifying the alignment…cool!

Once that was done, he scribed a 3/16 gap around the entire edge and the use his rotary sander to fit the trunk size….

voila!

Post Thanks / Like

Day 11……Part III

I didn't show it (pictures are out of order) but after Mike had scribed a 3/16 gap around the edge, he proceeded to use a disc sander to reduce the edges and then a block sander to smooth them out….amazing to watch….

The same process of scribing a 3/16 gap for the engine hood applied, came out great!

The same process of scribing a 3/16 gap for the engine hood applied, came out great!

Post Thanks / Like

Day 11……Part IV

Next was the windshield, what a bugger that was!…. But since he's done about 60 of these builds, it was only a temporary setback…the holes didn't line up…

A little bit of a Dremel and things just magically align

The final result…just in case your wondering, the blue tape is for the alignment of the exhaust vents….

So, now the doors are attached,,,, that's for tomorrow to align

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive to watch I bet! 60.. wow
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Not if it's been initially registered in the US.
    He could drive it as a visitor to Canada same as any other tourist, but not be able to register or insure it here.
    Say in a few years they decide to reside in Canada permanently, for who knows why. Maybe his wife's aging parents, cheaper healthcare, politics, war, whatever.. He will not be able to import, and register the car in Canada, until it has been registered in the US for at least 15 years already. Some ridiculous law Transport Canada has about importing kit cars..

I don't know what the rules are for importing and registering, a Canadian kit car to the US, but if they are not as restrictive as Canada is, it might be better to register it in Canada first.

Post Thanks / Like

Day 12,,,Part I

Busy day today, sun actually came out and warmed things up a bit…alignment is the word for today…….

Doors are done, lots of trimming required..now its up to the body shop to make it look good….

Roll bars prepped for fitting…..

Holes marked and enlarged, nice fit…..

Post Thanks / Like

Day 12,,,Part II

Yeah! Sides pipes from GasNPipes (via Breeze) arrived today….beautiful!

Now comes the fun part… lol Getting them aligned properly….

Passenger side went flawlessly, drivers side …. mmmmm not so good….need to replace the Cat since its not parallel to body… no worries, Courtney is on it and says she'll have another one available Monday….Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Day 12,,,Part III

So after 12 days of working on the car we are at a point that we'll soon run out of things to do….engine start scheduled for next week (Tuesday?) Carpeting and dash wiring completion is for Monday….one question will be is whether or not the painter wants the car with the body on or is satisfied and he'll take the body back without the car…..either way, I expect a "go kart" by mid week.

The whole experience of building a car with someone who does it for a living has been surreal…time just flies and I have to keep remembering to get the camera out to record the activities of the day….not always successful unfortunately..

But what has made this build go so quickly is the fact that Mike has everything he needs in house to fabricate or solve quickly any problems associated with the build process….

This is where the magic happens….a huge brake bar system, a lathe, a CNC, a powder coating system, and more….

I've learned so much from these past days and now know of all the intricate aspects of my car….its such a great feeling…..

Post Thanks / Like

Another kind of genius…..

Mike and I went to lunch today and saw this upon entering the restaurant…. if you look close the "Yosemite Sam" is built from a basketball hoop and backboard, golf clubs, mufflers, exhaust pipe tips, rotors, car ramps, and springs…….. unbelievable the human mind of creation…...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast