Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which powers tools will/might be helpfull for the full build.

Post Thanks / Like

Which powers tools will/might be helpfull for the full build.

Hi,

Got the complete kit plus engine on order. Wanted to know if I could get any advise on which power tools to get, besides the list of all tools and materials as seen in the manual.
    Will be in Miami in a few and wanted to buy some to make my life easier in Aruba.

Thx in advance,

Tim

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1. Drill Press
    2. Bench Top Grinder
    3. Standard 3/8 Electric Drill
    4. 90 Degree Battery Operated Electric Drill
    5. Combo Bench Top Belt Sander With Flat Sanding Disk
    6. Hand Held Belt Sander
    7. Hand Held Dual Action Sander (aka: D/A)
    8. 90 Degree Hand Held Grinder (Variable Speed If Possible)
    9. Air Compressor (Large Enough To Run Air Tools & Spray Guns)

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how you plan to build the car. If it's a straight out of the book car, with no mods, you really don't need much. I think a cordless drill is about all you really need. A drill bit sharpener and an air powered riveter would be a really nice addition, too.

But if you want to make custom mods, now we're talking about special tools.

Body and paint require a whole specialized set of tools, but body and paint people would consider them basic stuff.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a lot of use out of my 90 degree pneumatic drill. Drilled all the rivet holes and it is smaller than an electric drill and can fit into most places.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Compressed air package. I have a 30 gal 130PSI system. Air powered rivet gun, cutoff wheel, Drill, Ratchet Wrenchs , Die Grinder & impact wrenchs. Used them all during the build. Extra nice too have is a nibbler. Metal brake if you are going to modify or create any panels.

Also have a pair of bench grinders that got a lot of use with grinding, wire brush & polishing wheels.

You can build with hand or electric powered tools but the pneumatic ones take a lot of the physical work out of the project & greatly speed up the process especially the rivet gun & drill. You could easily put $30/40K into the project so the investment in tools is a small item.

Sanding gear if you are going to do the body work.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-30-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll definetely go along with having a compressor...So many uses for it, even just cleaning off left overs, from drilling all that aluminum. Air riveter was great to have, as was an angle grinder with cutting discs, bench grinder c/w wire wheel. A wire feed welder, and a stick welder were a bonus to have on hand, although neither are used very often. Although not powered, a bench vise was very handy. Used a heat gun a few times, and a soldering gun for some wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I used and still use,

a lot:
    Drill press (I can't live without it)
    Bench grinder
    Band saw (not required, but VERY handy)
    Bench vice
    Soldering iron
    Battery powered hand drill (18V deWalt)
    Pneumatic riveter (The one edwardb recommends works great, Campbell Hauser I think it is)
    Hand riveter
    Nut riveter tool (10-32, 8-32 mostly, and some 6-32, 10-24, and 1/4-20)
    Digital calipers
    Digital VOM
    Lots and lots of Snap-On hand tools

Some:
    Belt/Disc sander
    Hand elec. 90deg grinder
    MIG welder
    Battery powered Angle finder
    Front end Alignment tools
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I got a lot of use out of my 90 degree pneumatic drill. Drilled all the rivet holes and it is smaller than an electric drill and can fit into most places.
    pneumatic was easier than a 20v battery power? I get the hard to reach areas but what about the "thousand" easing access ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There is a difference between what you need and what will make it easier.

Flecks
    Cleco pliers
    Step drill bit
    Vice
    Screw driver's
    Rivet gun
    Drill bits. Lots and lots of drill bits.

You don't even need a full socket set. 3/8 and 1/2 Are used in most places.

Mark Reynolds does a great package kit of stuff you need. It includes a bunch of small stuff like loctite etc that will save you running around looking for it.

Breeze automotive is his company. Great to deal with.

Air compressors, welders, car lifts all make it easier, but you don't need them.

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Along with what has been said so far..

-A rubber mallet/deadblow and a set of pry bars. Sometimes you need to "persuade" things a bit.

-A cordless impact driver is probably my favorite tool. Team it up with some hex-to-square adapters and you can use it with sockets. They work great to drive nuts/bolts most of the way in, then torque to spec. A cordless impact is also very handy to have around for other projects.

-Cordless or air ratchet, to save yourself time ratcheting in harder-to-reach places (such as suspension arms). Again, power most of the way and finish it off with a torque wrench.

-Small, lightweight drill. While a large powerful drill is needed on occasion, most of the time you will be drilling small holes that don't require much power.

Now, if I may make a recommendation.. Milwaukee's M12 Fuel tools kick booty. I hardly use my 18V tools anymore, as the M12 Fuels are more compact and nearly as powerful. Right now they are having a deal where you buy the Drill/Impact kit and receive a free tool. This bundle deal will take care of three of the tools that I recommended. I'm not affiliated with Milwaukee or anything, I just really like their tools. (My coworkers can vouch for this)

Post Thanks / Like
    My #1 tool is my four post lift, without it I would not be planning to build a car. Maybe I am older than most on this forum but after laying on a creeper next to the cold concrete and barely being able to move the next morning (years ago) I consider the lift a necessity. It is difficult to carry back to Aruba though. After that one of my favorite tools is a good LED light that clamps on (or magnetic), if it's bright enough I sometimes don't even need my close-up glasses!

boB

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used more Rivnuts than the kit build so I went and got 2 cheap Ryobi 4V battery tools and an extra battery for all the sheet metal screws and button head fasteners. The right angle driver is smaller than most air ratchets and my M12V Milwaukee 1/4" right angle drive. The little drill is adequate for most of the light drilling 1/4" and below. I also picked up one of the swivel head rivet tools. None of these sit next to my Snap on, Ingersoll Rand, or MAC tools, but I basically had a tool kit sitting on the passenger side with all the Clecos, Rivet drills, Step drill, and Rivnut drills. I also recommend soldering more of the electrical connections so get a small pencil iron.
    I did use an air rivet gun but found it clumsy. Its helpful with 3/16" stainless rivets though if you go that route. Even a lot of 3/16" aluminum rivets will get old fast, but, you only rivet for a couple weekends and then most of its done.
    A very helpful tool is a flexible hex to 1/4" drive about 18" long. I have 2 different styles of these. I used them in the doors, under the dash, etc.
    Fiberglass eats up drill bits and saw blades. I like to use the abrasive tile style blades on some things. A simple small jigsaw or air saw with abrasive blades is helpful.

The theme here is small and compact because you inevitably will forget something or change your mind and have to work in a tight space. I also do not use my good corded tools or big Battery M18 powered tools around the fiberglass work as the dust gets into the motor. This is where the air tools with small flexible hoses excel.

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all, this gets me in the right direction!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe no one has said this yet: A refrigerator! Where else are you going to keep refreshments (i.e. beer) for your helpers! Seriously, don't forget the Dremel tool. I keep finding new uses for it.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear people talking about grinding down welds in tight places (e.g. Suspension brackets) so which tool would you recommend? A dremel-style or one of those long thin belt sanders like http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-mini-belt-sander.html? Which would be most useful throughout the build?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a very old Dremel that's still going. Before the build started, I went out and bought all new attachments. Nice quick change stuff, much better than the old stuff. I've already used it so many times, I think its the most valuable tool so far. Course, I dont even have my engine in yet...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I get a lot of use out of my angle grinder (cut off wheels, sanding disks) on other projects as well as this one. A dremel tool also comes in handy a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tim
    How is your build going? Did you run into any issues with your suitcase load of tools after build school? Got any progress pictures?

Enjoyed getting to meet you and talk cars over beers and dinners at build school.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in Aruba? Is the refinery running again? I was there a few years ago for 7 weeks with Valero. Love the Island. My parents met/married there in the 30's and my brother grew up there as an oil brat.

Pneumatic rivet gun, plenty of good drill bits, angle grinder, electric wire cutter/crimping tool and butt connectors, tubing bender sized for brake lines, and a 36mm socket. A variable speed electric 3/8" drill such as Dewalt will serve all your drilling needs, plus a right angle adapter for the drill. Oh, and an assortment of step-drill bits.

What engine are you going with?
    Cheers, Dale
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think I've seen a hole saw kit yet.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Air river gun and air 90* drill where two things that made it much easier. A large compressor and variety air tools actually.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a fairly inexpensive Ryobi cordless impact and drill set with two batteries. I can’t imagine not having cordless for a build. This is my second build, both pretty straight forward builds and haven’t found myself needing a lot of extra tools other than what’s already on the work bench. I have an air compressor, but I haven’t used it for anything on this build and i’m at a rolling chassis. A bench grinder and 90 degree drill are two things i think i’ll Be purchasing soon.
    FFR8551 289 FIA build in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the 90 degree drill. You can get an attachment rather then a separate drill.
    Dremel - used it all the time.
    A good cordless drill.
    Swivel head rivet tool for tight places. ( not a power tool, but really useful)

If you are doing anything custom you will need a jigsaw and a metal brake (not a power tool, but you will need it). My friend has a jigsaw table and it is awesome.

If I build again the first thing I am buying is a combination belt / disc sander. I would have used it a million times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really, no one said, "All of them!!!"

All good suggestions for the thread. Doesn't take too many special tools, but lots of opportunities for new toys!

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the combo belt/disc sander. It makes trimming aluminum panels so easy. I use it for so many things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this great list. It is very helpful to be able to check off some things I've got and then make a couple of trips to various tool shops to pick up some toys . . . Um tools. Personally it can be very frustrating to not have a needed tool, which is only exceeded by having the tool but not being able to find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    .....RUM.....Lots of R....U....M