Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any tricks to get a stuck half shaft out?

Post Thanks / Like

Any tricks to get a stuck half shaft out?

I'm trying to remove my 5 speed transmission and the right side half shaft is stuck in the front differential. The left side popped out easily but the right side will not come out. The CV joint is able to move in an out slightly so I know the splines are not jammed up. I think the circlip is stuck and not compressing like it should to allow the CV to slide out.

I have access to the other side and have tried using a long punch to drive it out with no luck. I don't want to damage the front differential by whaling on it from the opposite side and possibly shearing the circlip which could then get wedged in the splines.

Any tricks or ideas on how to get this out?

right_side.jpg right_side_close.jpg left_side.jpg closeup.jpg
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Idea; machine a thin wall cylinder with beveled inner edge to compress the clip from the back side?
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    Idea; machine a thin wall cylinder with beveled inner edge to compress the clip from the back side?
    You can't get to the outer edge of the spline that has the circlip. The center diff only has a small hole thru to the other side, enough to get a punch through to the center but you can't access the outer edge

Post Thanks / Like
    While gently applying leverage between the case and the cv (very large screwdriver or small pry bar if you can be gentle), very lightly apply pressure between the two, release pressure, rotate the cv a few degrees, apply light pressure, rotate, etc. You should find a position where the c-clip is position so that the axle pops out very easily.

The purpose of releasing and then reapplying light pressure is to allow the c-clip to move into a position where it will release. Find the correct angle of the axle and it should pop out easily.

Same process with reinserting stubborn axles - light pressure and wiggle while rotate a few degrees until it pops in. If you need anything more than light pressure it isn't in the correct position to release or engage. More force will only cause damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    While gently applying leverage between the case and the cv (very large screwdriver or small pry bar if you can be gentle), very lightly apply pressure between the two, release pressure, rotate the cv a few degrees, apply light pressure, rotate, etc. You should find a position where the c-clip is position so that the axle pops out very easily.

The purpose of releasing and then reapplying light pressure is to allow the c-clip to move into a position where it will release. Find the correct angle of the axle and it should pop out easily.

Same process with reinserting stubborn axles - light pressure and wiggle while rotate a few degrees until it pops in. If you need anything more than light pressure it isn't in the correct position to release or engage. More force will only cause damage.
    Ok, have not tried the gentle approach I'll give it try tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got it. In the end it took a 4 ft pry bar and a piece of brass stock at the fulcrum point to protect the case.

Sometimes it does take a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the little brackets that hold that sundial required? I noticed you're missing yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grabera7 View Post
    Are the little brackets that hold that sundial required? I noticed you're missing yours.
    Yes they are required. Mine are there. It's just hard to see with the lighting in the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Yes they are required. Mine are there. It's just hard to see with the lighting in the pics.
    Wow! The flash covered them in every photo.