Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Full Fendered with IRS and Wilwood Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

33 Full Fendered with IRS and Wilwood Brakes

I am building the 33 with full fenders, IRS and Wilwood brakes. Does anyone have suggestions for a wheel and tire combination that will work good with this setup. I tried the American Racing Torq-Thrust II, 17x8 and they hit the calipers. I like the American wheels and would like to find a combination of these wheels and a tire that would work. Has anyone used the 18x8 wheels with this setup? They might clear the calipers. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to crazy! Which Caliper and rotor combo on the Wilwoods? The other thing to watch is with the softer springs your front tires may rub the fender, depending on offset and profile, on a hard turn. Some of the better wheel sites have the inner wheel dimensions posted so you can just take a coat hanger and give yourself 1/4" clearance for a measurement.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using Americaan Racing TorqThrust II #VN815 wheels all around. The fronts are 18x9x5.0 BS and the rears are 18x10x5.74 BS and these fit under the rear fenders (not running front fenders but they are supposed to fit) & over the Wilwood brakes (12.88" front rotors with 6-piston calipers & 12.19" rear with the integral parking brake calipers). I'm not running the IRS and not sure of the width difference between the IRS and the old Mustang solid axle. I'm also running Toyo Proxes R888 front and rear. Fronts are 255/35ZR18 (25" dia & 10.04 section width) and the rears are 315/30ZR18 (25.2" dia & 12" section width).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. This is the kind of information I was looking for. It does look like I should go with the 18" wheels in the front instead of the 17". The width of the IRS is the same as the solid axle. Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    12.88" on the front and back with the parking brake on the rear. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the Factory Five fenders on the back?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the FFR rear fenders and trimming them to fit up to 30" tires but will be running 28" M/T slicks at the track and the 25.2" Proxes on the street. IMG_0681.JPG